Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FewtureMD posted:

Tossing my hat into the ring with Lawyered!, the game of lying,charming bastards doing whatever they need to in court to win the Trial of the Century.

You fiend! I'll sue you for infringement of my own legal entry, Justice Is Blind, a crime solving/police procedural/courtroom drama game about finding The Truth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm getting a lot of cool ideas for Justice Is Blind. It's going to be a game where I crib heavily off of FATE's Aspect system for character building and interactions. The game will tell the story of a group of detectives, prosecutors, and attorneys who are all trying to unravel the truth behind a case. Tons of investigation, police procedure, and courtroom drama involved, with players simultaneously working together (to find the truth) and against each other: the detectives want to solve the crime, the prosecution wants to convict the accused, and the defense wants to clear the defendant's name.

There is going to have to be a really tiny combat subsystem, because in crime-solving stories sometimes someone gets shot at! It's going to be really light though, probably with two actions ("fight" and "flight") with the balance skewed in the favor of getting away from the battle and the penalties for losing combat really severe so that nobody wants to do it anyway. I know this is skirting the edge, but is this okay?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Evil Sagan posted:

Oh goddamnit, how did I miss that someone else was already doing a lawyer game?

I feel like mine will be different, but this still feels pretty bad. Is it too late for me to alter my entry?

The only solution to this is for every lawyer game to use the same case as their module so that we can truly see who has the best lawyer game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Here is my official outline for Justice Is Blind, a crimesolving/courtroom drama game about finding the truth.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

:siren:Bonus Objectives for the August 10th Deadline:siren:

The theme for this week's bonus objectives will be Creativity. It is time to stop thinking and start creating!

1. Depict your game through an original work of art, such as a painting, a photograph, a piece of music or similar. The only restriction is that you cannot use digital/photoshop works.

Clarification on bonus point one, please! Does the restriction mean that any art produced must be created solely through non-digital means? In other words, if I want to draw a picture of angry lawyers in a courtroom, must I use pen and paper instead of Illustrator, or if I wanted to record a song for courtroom backdrop, must I use piano and guitar instead of Ableton?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And all the reviews I hadn't done yet are in this post! I somehow expected more wailing, gnashing of teeth and :smug: between posts.

I think that is all of the outlines, though I could be wrong - I am currently battling a fever. Let me know if so, and I will remedy this. Congratulations to everyone who earned a bonus, and I hope this will motivate everyone to craft their games well. (If the impending lash will not, of course.)

You missed mine! An official scoring of Justice is Blind would be great before I get too super-attached to ripping off more mechanics from VNs.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Your Honor, I'd like to submit to the court as evidence the rules module for Justice is Blind. I intend to use this piece of evidence to prove, once and for all, the innocence of my client!

TAKE THAT!

Yes, I'm perfectly aware I just submitted Phoenix Wright: When They Cry as my submission.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

alakath posted:

Thoughts on other games!

Justice is Blind, by blastron: For some reason I found the Resolve system difficult to understand. Maybe add some examples? Actually, examples would be appreciated throughout the document. I feel like I'd end up playing wrong, even though I'd have fun.

I like Knox's Ten. I feel like they'll really guide cases in the direction you want them to go.

Otherwise, the game sounds fun! Keep at it.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to be adding plenty of examples as part of the second module, which is going to include character creation and the game example. I may also revise the wording in some places, as I put together most of the document in one final three-hour stretch late last night so it might be a little confusing in parts.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 11: Only minimal work occurred on the game in the last day, as I am still recovering from my massive push to get the first module out the door. However, I have made careful note of alakath's helpful feedback, outlined what I need to do to incorporate it, and have laid out the skeleton outline of the next rules module: character creation. To briefly summarize, characters will have a number of points they can spend when building their characters to buy feats aspects skills proficiencies, which typically give flat bonuses to certain types of resolve checks or otherwise slightly modify mechanics. Any unspent points will probably go into your pool of resolve, so there will be a trade-off between being really good at a few things (low resolve but high bonuses to certain checks) and being able to barely scrape through just about anything (high resolve but few bonuses). This is where the bulk of the balancing work will likely come, with the remainder involving coming up with guidelines for check TNs.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 12: I have family in town, so my writing pace is slowed, but luckily "family" includes my tabletop-gaming brother, so I'll probably be getting some feedback from him. I've sketched out a rough feat tree proficiency list, which has proficiencies split into two broad categories: check bonuses and mechanics modifiers. To briefly recap, character creation involves spending points to purchase proficiencies, and any leftover points become the base pool of resolve points. Check modifier proficiencies cost 1 (?) point each, and provide a +1 bonus to a specific type of check. Essentially, the player permanently trades one point from his max pool for a one-point bonus on certain future checks. I might bump this up to a two-point cost depending on how things work out.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 13: It's really hard to get work done when you've got family in to visit. Nevertheless, I've started actually writing up the general rules for character creation. As part of this, I've expanded a bit on the proficiency list. There are still two categories (check bonuses and mechanic modifiers), but I've refined them a bit. Check bonuses can now be specialized: you start with a general category, such as crime scene forensics, which gives you a +1 to your check; then, you can specialize into ballistics analysis, which would give you an additional +1 when doing some sort of ballistics work during your crime scene forensics work, and then you could further specialize in bullet fragment analysis for a +3 total, but only when dealing specifically with plucking fragments of bullets out of walls and piecing together the original shot. Keep in mind that each point of potential bonus you pick up at character creation time is a point you don't get added to your general pool.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 14: Wrong, wrong, wrong, it's all wrong! I had a nice long talk with my brother about the game while on the long drive to get him to his next destination, and he's uncovered a pretty crucial flaw in my resolve/karma system. In case you haven't been following my progress, here's a quick recap. Resolve is a currency that is used in to make checks, which are generally used for things like pressing witnesses for information or carefully analyzing evidence. Checks are silent auctions, where the GM sets a secret target number depending on the difficulty, then the player declares his modifiers aloud then secretly places a bid. If the bid matches or exceeds the target number, the player succeeds; otherwise, they fail; either way, the resolve is spent.

To complement the "fail" side of things, I have a mechanic called Karma. The general idea is that, when you lose a check, you should be compensated so that you didn't just waste your resolve points and some of the limited in-game time. As a result, when you fail, you earn karma, which are basically bonus points that can be used to supplement (but not replace) karma when making checks. (Think of karma as a pool of one-shot +1 bonuses). My current mechanic says that you get the difference between the target number and your bid as karma, but my brother pointed out a pretty fatal flaw: it's abusable as all hell. If there's a check with a secret target number of X, and I bid a single point, I'll get back X-1 points of karma. Then, I can just spend another one point of resolve plus the karma I just got to succeed the check, rewarding me for deliberately guessing low. Similarly, being one below the target number is the worst outcome, because then you get 1 measly karma for spending 9 resolve on a 10-point check.

My fix is simple: instead of giving players the difference, just give them an amount of karma equal to the amount of resolve they spent on the task.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 15: poo poo, I forgot to post at midnight last night, breaking my streak of being consistently first with my determination posts! Luckily, I remembered to post before the day was out. I MUST CLAIM THIS BONUS.

Didn't actually get a whole lot done on the writing of the module for this upcoming deadline, but I actually spent a lot of time planning out the campaign itself for the third module. Since I'm writing a rules-light game, the quality of the final game will be largely determined by the story that it's used to tell, and since it's a mystery-solving game, that means that there must be a very good mystery behind it, so I'm putting a lot of effort into crafting the perfect mystery for my game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 16: Since my mechanics are really simple, so are my character creation rules. As such, I've got plenty of time to work on fleshing out all of my rules text, adding examples and clarifying wordings. Resolve is a simple mechanic, drat it, if people are having trouble understanding "write down a number and hope it's bigger than the number the GM writes down", I'm not explaining it right. So far, my biggest addition (besides examples) is a clarification of Knox's Ten. While I'm leaving the red-text pieces intact, I'm adding some clarification statements (not in red) to explain what is meant by each rule.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Justice is Blind Determination Drive, August 17: Finally, the day of reckoning. I finished writing up the full list of boons, added some fluff, and got everything shipped out! When I actually sat down to write up the character rules, I found out that there actually weren't that many of them! My core ruleset is very light, which both makes things easy to write and balance but also hard to come up with a lot of material for. I was kind of stretching for the last few boons in the list, but I made up a few that suckers might buy have situational use.

Incidentally, here are the completed rules for Justice is Blind. This document contains all information necessary for players to create characters and play games. This contains a significant overlap with previous modules, and features clarification of text originally reviewed as confusing, examples, and some minor mechanics tweaks. In addition, this contains new content, specifically relating to the creation of characters; this can be found on the last two pages of the document.

Notable omissions from this document include more-or-less anything required to actually build and run a campaign, these are coming in the Storyteller's Module, which will be my third and final submission and will contain the few rules required for building an adventure as well as a full sample case. Time to put on my mystery-writing hat!

This constitutes my final submission for the second module.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh, great, reviews! Eagerly awaiting mine. In the meantime, have the Justice is Blind, Enjoyment Effortpost!

UGH, FINE, I played a board game with some real people, even though that involved socializing and not spending my entire weekend working on my entry. We played Zombicide, a new board game from Guillotine Games that one of my friends got through a Kickstarter. It's a survival board game about escaping from zombies. There's apparently a bunch of different "missions" (the map is reconfigurable), but we started with mission #1: "gather supplies and get the hell out".

This mission starts with all the survivors in the safe room. You get some (really lovely) starting equipment, unless you play the totally-not-stereotypical El Cholo character, who starts off dual-wielding machetes. I, on the other hand, got handed a frying pan (hits one out of six swings, you can only roll one attack with it per action). Luckily, my character's starting ability was to get a free "search" action every turn, which I promptly used to pull up a scope for a rifle I didn't have. (I eventually found a chainsaw, where you can get five hits in at the cost of a little noise, which was enormously fun. GREAT CLEAVE!)

The game is entirely co-op, running off of pre-built scenarios supplemented by a healthy dose of card drawing. Zombies continuously spawn at the edges of the map (and are also found inside buildings) and move towards either any survivors they can see or the loudest noises they can hear. This basically winds up creating a constantly-advancing horde that can get pretty drat tricky to take out. Unless you have a special ability, you can't move through a zombie's square without spending extra actions, and ending your round in a square that's occupied by a zombie means you'll get hit.

Of course, this means that you have to kill the zombies as they show up in order to have any reasonable expectation of making it out alive. As you kill zombies (and complete objectives), your characters gain experience, and get cool abilities when their XP track passes certain markers. Unfortunately, the zombie spawn cards have four bars on them, conveniently color-coded to match the four XP zones on the player's card. As characters gain skill, more zombies start to spawn. Oh no!

Then, of course, you wind up with enormous hordes constantly spawning while the survivors desperately try to take them out. At the end, we realized that our objective was "clear all six objective markers, then carry three supplies to the exit" so we just loaded the character who can freely run past zombies up with all our supplies and had him book it to the end. Pretty fun overall, I don't think I'd buy this game myself but it's a blast playing someone else's copy.

Now, back to writing up this adventure module!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I am incredibly displeased to report that an ongoing work emergency has killed all of my free time and creative energy, so I'm not going to be able to finish Module 3, which is a shame, because I have like twenty hours of work put into it. I might finish it up later, but will unfortunately not be able to make the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dude, post what you have.

You won't be DQ'd and will at least have submitted something.

It's not complete enough to qualify as an "adventure module", and also I'm at work away from my files.