Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Hi!

First time contender, probably not going to rank pretty high, but always wanted an excuse to make a game, so why not.

I'd like to enter the competition with the game The Last Days of the Meek (work in progress)

It's a simple concept about Nerds of a certain age (player's choice) who spend the day trying to accomplish their dreams, while being hassled by their respective bullies.

Intentionally built to end on a high note, and inspired by a crap ton of 80s high school movies.

With any luck, it also won't suck on the write up.

The resolution mechanic is a bit of an issue, as I have an idea of how it works, but would need serious playtesting to see if it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

HEY GUYS!

So... I finally finished my outline. My attempts to upload it just on the midnight hour for extra bonus points is utterly moot, so instead I'm just going to submit it here.

The last days of the meek - project outline

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

WOO!

So far so good. Looks like I'm in the runnings! Now I actually HAVE to finish this design off and come up with a good endgame.

Also, I would like to thank Mors Rattus, for a rather positive review.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Alright! 7 points! Come at me bros!

I will have to shape up for the extra points this time. there are a few things I could have pulled through better, and maybe explained a bit more, but I blame my lack imagination more than misinterpreting the rules. Wish you guys luck for the next section. And by wish, I mean curse.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Alright. I realised that everyone was making their own ideas for modules, so I went ahead and came up with my own.

By August 10, the general gameplay module for the last days of the meek will be complete, hopefully with more bonus points this time.

By august 17, most of the fluff should be done, well written or otherwise.

By August 24, thats when hopefully images and layout will be finally complete.

Anyway, for August 10th, here is the Gameplay Module for The Last Days of the Meek NOTE: Still being edited until august 10th.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Last day of the meek considerations: The Exchange system.

When I first noticed that the use of dice was banned from this months design contest, I have to say I was overjoyed. Diceless gaming is something I have always found interesting, and seeing how people were going through creating their own versions of conflict resolutions spurred me on to create my own.

When building for Last Days, I wanted to give players the option of choice. In a dice driven game, the entire point is not not fail the roll. Sometimes it isn't that bad - missing your first few swings of an axe won't matter if you can just hit the orc more times than he does you. Sometimes it can be catastrophic - failing that strength check while hanging onto a ledge, pummeling down to a very brutal death.

I wanted to have the players to have some form of control over it: being able to choose what conflict is more important should hopefully aid in the player's roleplaying scene. Especially if he assists the DM in choosing how he fails.

Of course, I will need to play test the hell out of it to ensure I got it all right, but that's a trick for a later module.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Last days of the Meek ideals: How low can you go?

Having finished the gameplay section, I have begun work on the settings that can be used for the game. This bit should be fun to write (I'm planning on giving ideas for a super hero high school one).

However, I have noticed a few things about it - you could play this game aggressively dark if you so wish.

Since the ends of scenes are reliant on people input more than a set thing that happens, what do I do if at the end of a scene someone elects for their bully to break their arms, or kills their pet cat, or worse?

I don't want people to be forced into playing the game the way I want to envision it, but it's not necessarily what I was hoping to come out of it in the first place.

I will make a mental note to give the finished product a happy go lucky feel, try and distract readers from too many dark possiblities.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

The last days of the meek 3: Bargaining.

So. I've been running mini Exchange system ruling for some friends today, (not really a playtest, more of a 'lets see how this works' thing) and we had a few funny incidents.

One player, on his turn, during the final group bid scene down right threatened to make another player lose the game if he did not force him to win on the spot. Of course, this just caused everyone else to burst out laughing and the game continued regardless, but it made me sort of think.

Perhaps, there is a way to imput some kind of pleading mechanism? Like holding a chip in reserve that you will play on their turn if they play what you ask them too. That might work... if I can make it so it doesn't sound like its necessary. I mght put it in the Additional Rules section.

Alkarh (who, btw, I thank for that sweet review) mentioned that I should try and merge the fear and courage meters together. Maybe if I were to make them just one general Guts meter that just went up, I would also allow people the ability to use it to change what people bid on the table. I'm going to play around with that tonight. See what I come up with.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Last days of the Meek: Speed.

So.

Another problem I have been facing is just how quick a turn could go. If a player says his goal for the first part of the game is to give an apple to his PE teacher, but starts the scene alone with his PE teacher, in a class room, and is about to get up and go give it over. Of course, this doesn't really give the GM any other choice but to either force new characters into the scene, or just have the PE teacher do all the conflicts.

When it comes to the GMing guide part I'm writing next to the setting bit, I'm going to have to include a section about how far back they should make players go into. Some kind of ruling about agreeing where the start point will be, and where the end point would be.

Maybe I should go a bit further: having the character move from one tag on the scene list, to another tag on the scene list before the final token bid.

Hmm... time to edit additional notes again.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Last days of the meek: Breaking point.

This isn't much of a view of how the game is going, as I spent most of today looking at the other games in an attempt to review them. However, I will like to note that the settings section is coming along fine. My main problem at the moment is organising a playtest time. None of my friends seem to be availible soon enough, so I might have to ask around IRC.

Or more importantly....

If you guys help me playtest my game, I swear to help you playtest yours. I may not be the greatest gamer, but I will certainly come to yours with an open mind and a happy face.

That aside, first batch of reviews!

Jurrasic Central Park
Chicken wings as a mechanic is… well… godly really. Sweet lord is it godly. My real problem with the resolution is, well, that people are utterly rubbish at eating chicken fast. Now I don’t know what size portions the chicken wings are in your country, but in England they take me something like seven seconds to devour if I am not rushing. My friends however, even in a hurry, do something like 15, and still leave meat on the bone.
Maybe there should be a time gap according to what restaurant you are at – TGI Friday wings are pathetic, but pop into Shellies on the high street of London and you won’t know which end of the wing you’re supposed to start from. I also do not agree with the challenge every 30 seconds rule… seems super short. Then again, it depends on how hungry everyone is.
I have no idea how on earth this game is going to get playtested, but by the great and powerful gods of old I am going to try!

lil eldritch horrors
I love any work someone does that has to do with a Tarot deck. Not because I believe in stuff like that (I don’t), but because it gives me a reason to buy cool looking cards. The only thing I would inquire about is what happens to the cards that do not have a numertical value on them. Are they used elsewhere, or is it completely thrown out for the game? Maybe for representing something else in the game like veil tokens or whatever.
I feel there’s quite a bit missing in the description of the tarot module, and look forward to the completed product.
Also, I seem to have missed how many cards are drawn during the check in the rules.

Emperor mittens

Firstly, I’m going to have to steal the idea of a glossary at the beginning of the module from you dude. Sorry.
Second of all, this sounds utterly hilarious, but I have no idea how the grand selection for minster is played out. Maybe in the next module?
I get the feeling that this game will play more like Maid than Starblazer adventures, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I want to know more! GIVE ME MORE!

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Last days of the meek: Final setting and notes draft..

IS DONE! Woo! I've had to do it back and forth all morning, but it's finally completed. Which means that I should be able to post that bit tomorrow. Combining this and the gameplay module would mean that playtesting could finally commence!

Of course, herein lies my new problem: although I am still trying to find people to play with, I also have no idea how photoshop works... nor do I even HAVE photoshop. Or any design skills whatsoever. I might just have to leave it as it with some cool word formatting for the PDF.

Also, I desperately need to finish my reviews. Fortunately I did three yesterday, so tomorrow should be a breeze... I hope. Anyway. See you guys there! Hope I made enough of a module to not hit the wall of shame! WOO!

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

And, its time to post!

Alright, so modules are now done, and I shall post them here along with everything else I have done so far.

Project outline
Module 1, gameplay
Module 2 - The setting and notes

Right. That should be everything I need for today... oh wait.. almost forgot! FINISHING MY LAST 7 reviews!

Dis?unity

This has a great starting line: A game about arguments. That sold me on it automatically. The character generation seems pretty cool, and I love the idea of changing the setting, and how the meaning of the cards reflects that. NOW SHOW ME HOW THIS WORKS!

Mage lords Of Arymavon

Hmm. I do like this for the idea of spell casting, and the idea of how it works is very competitive. But that’s my main problem with it – it seems super competitive more than anything else. I assume it’s a personal thing, and please don’t take it to heart, but I was hoping for some more rules on working together with other mages more than screwing them over for points.

Justice is blind

Oh boy..

Alright, this is a man who certainly knows to write his RPGs. Everything is easily catalogued to read though, and a lot of details are placed in. It even reads like a law paper! It’s awesome.
I love the red writing idea, and it helps me read it better. Plus it’s a throwaway to things like When the Seagulls cry and good old Phoenix wright. Keep it up!
The mechanics are pretty alright, although I do not like the idea of a silent auction, I can see how it will aid a game that will be based on talking as hard and as fast as you can. This is definitely going on my playtest list.

Traceuse

Ooooh! That’s a pretty logo. drat you Photoshop geniuses! And the formatting of the work itself is golden. drat you people and your actual skill at stuff like this! Are you sure you’re not done with this yet? Cause it looks practically ready to go!

The player system seems pretty alright, and obstacle plans are well laid out. I feel like jumping from rooftop to rooftop after just reading it. Is it possible to get a description of traits somewhere? Just so I have an idea of what I am working with.

ThuD

God damnit I’m being left behind again! Stop that now! Great layout of the rules, especially with a summary of it all at the very top. I’ll have to steal that idea for my august 24th goal.
I hope he is making a ton of example cards: this is something I would love to print out and try with my group sometime soon. I would, however, like to see if the game has any form of Endgame. Is there a set amount of rounds you do before it finishes, or do you just keep going till the game is over?

Ame2amp

FINALLY! I’m here! Alright.
Sweet card rules system. A little bit weird, but I can see how it works in a browsing aspect.
drat… a game that requires actual skill at Guitar hero to play. Which is perfectly understandable – its popular enough, and it gives the feel of actually starting a band. Good luck play testing it though! Please give us some examples of complications when you can though. I need that!

gently caress you Eric Wodjack

Wow… this has a great feel right from the get go. I know it’s all spacccccce maaaaaaaaaagic to begin with, but with the wording and the ideas, it feels like some kind of pseudo family reunion. I love it.
The best part about this game, however, is that it will probably be played entirely in character. Simple rules and simple ideas make for great roleplaying because no one has to think too far down the line. Plus, glossary at the back! I will be looking forward to the finished version of this.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Druggeddwarf's The Last Days of the Meek

"Taunt Name - At the beginning of the game none of the players will have real names, thanks to the efforts of their respective bullies. EXAMPLE: Twinkletown, Fat Neil, Baby doll, Lady, SUV, Little Piggie, Goonie."

I'll just state it: full marks for rules clarity. Mechanics are presented clearly and simply and are then followed with a more detailed explanation. It's also very readable and entertaining (if that's the right word for a text that has paragraphs like the one I quoted), all presented in a nice big font. There's no index, glossary or anything of the sort so going back to find something again can be a little bothersome, but that only happened to me once.

Additional Thoughts:

Man, dem's some issues. My one big complaint is that this needs some way to find rules fast, and maybe something to break the text up a little like some artwork or other formatting trick. I also really like the round-robin setting creation.

Final Score: 8 +1 smug = 9. This Bonus might make little piggie feel better.

drat...

I'll be honest. I didn't expect to get a score that high for the game mechanics, so thank you very much for that bit.

You are right though, I need to find something to make it easier to read. Been working on a friend who can actually draw to help me out a little on artwork imbetween texts. Hopefully, I wil have something PDFed and final product worthy on the 24th.

That aside, Just so you guys know, for this bonus point... I played Vampire the Masquerade. That's how serious I am about getting bonus points this week.

Anyway, see you all on the 24th!

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I did it...

I DID IT!

So.. to start off with, here is the completed module The last days of the Meek final draft that should be the completed game in all its glory.

NOTE: Put in wrong url there.. fixed now.

I recommend downloading it and not reading it through google drive, as it doesn't do watermarks or borders very well. I would have done a PDF version, but it ruined the format for some reason

Secondly, my dedication to the cause has grown. Last saturday, not only did I play a game of Vampire the Masquerade with a bit of leg action which I hate with a passion, but I also jumped right on in and played a game of old school Talisman too!

Thats frreaking dedication boys.

That aside... I am also up for playtesting anything after we see what survives the final round. Although I'm putting my bets on F**k you Erik Wodjawhatever.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Well, can we do gently caress you Eric whatever over Skype our something like that? There seems to be enough of us.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I can do quite a bit of GMT daytimes.... Anyone else.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I will be running gently caress You Eric Wodjack tonight about 11 or 12 midnight GMT, if anyone is interested, I will pop into #alldayplaytest at that time. Just leave me a message or post here and I will know who's up for what.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I'm in the same boat. I need to run just one single playtest, and I am in the runnings. Just one. But I can't get the drat people together thanks to everyone playing guildwars.

Gonna give tomorrow the biggest shot I can before work. Kwyndig - I should be able to JUST make that intersector game if you need people.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

TIME JUMP!

You are my hero Rulebook.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Gonna try another go at running FYEW playtest tonight at about 12:30am GMT. Will be in #tradgamesdesign desperately hoping someone turns up. Anyone. At all! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

YESSSSSS! Extensions are KEY!

In light of Lemon's sactifice, I will do the very best to playtest FYEW tomorrow, and will be availible pretty much all day. And, if I can, I will play in any playtest that's going on. The plan is to get each and every game playtested by the 7th.

Give me a time that people are free, and if I have to stay up all night for it, I will.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Jesus...

I'll be honest, I want expecting to be doing well being my first ever contest entry and all, but i'm not complaining!

In other news, I am about ready to give up running my own actual play test, so it's time for a new tactic:

I will be available in #tradgamesdesign tomorrow from 7pm GMT to play in anyone's play test. I will stay on as long as I can and will play as many as I can, so just stop me a line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I did it! WOO!

Here is the pastebin! WOO!

A lot of views were said in the log, and I have my own opinion, but I will allow my players to post theirs first before I post mine.

Also, read it! READ IT!