Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Thread hasn't been bumped in a while, so thought I'd pop in. High School season is almost over. I've been battling an injury all season, I think. Take a couple of ibuprofen and I'm fine! If I don't I'm useless. Just got a new Big Kid job so I've been waiting for insurance to kick in so I can go to the doctor, but I'm trying to put that off because I will be super upset if I get shut down this close to Regionals.

Got my invite to Region III Youth Regionals again, this year in my hometown. I think the other regulars in here are in R4, but if anyone else is going to be making an appearance at R3 let me know! Hopefully no one dies when I go this year, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

Got my invite to Region III Youth Regionals again, this year in my hometown. I think the other regulars in here are in R4, but if anyone else is going to be making an appearance at R3 let me know! Hopefully no one dies when I go this year, ha.

I was R2, but I moved to R4. I haven't done anything since I moved, and really was trying to get everything settled before doing anything. This will be the second time I've moved states, and I'm a bit dreading the inevitable getting to know everyone thing all over again.

Don't overwork your injury if you're going to regionals. It would be a shame if you don't get it some rest and you end up more seriously injured by then.

I finished last season as the referee for the boys high school state semi-final. It was fun, but I couldn't have the final due to home regional things. It's disappointing because the final was a poo poo show of misconduct and worse that I'm fairly certain I could have managed out of the game in the first ten minutes. I expect it'll be a good three years before I can work myself into getting these sort of appointments again. Nature of the beast.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Last year I was asked if I wanted to go to R4 regionals over email but I was unable to go due to work scheduling. Would it be too forward to ask the same SYRA if I could have a chance to go this year?

Still working on those 100 adult centers for a Grade 6, I just picked up at least a dozen through the end of June. I'm really frustrated because I'm limited to 2 games in the mornings (10am, 12am) due to working on weekend nights (3pm-Midnight). Been working weekends for 5 years now. Time to find a new job.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 23, 2015

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

Last year I was asked if I wanted to go to R4 regionals over email but I was unable to go due to work scheduling. Would it be too forward to ask the same SYRA if I could have a chance to go this year?

Still working on those 100 adult centers for a Grade 6, I just picked up at least a dozen through the end of June. I'm really frustrated because I'm limited to 2 games in the mornings (10am, 12am) due to working on weekend nights (3pm-Midnight). Been working weekends for 5 years now. Time to find a new job.

It shouldn't be to forward to at least tell the SYRA that you're interested in it. They probably already have their list for this year though. I know in my old state they've made it very clear in how to get your name both a) on the list, and b) toward the top of the list. This year R2 is in Wisconsin, and they won't be sending as many as they did last year to Dayton, OH. Proximity makes it easier on the budget. Some of the things they want to see: are you working regularly locally, are you working the state youth tournaments, are you working the state premier league, are you requesting and passing assessments, and have you passed the fitness test?

I really appreciate the way they're doing it, and the much more transparent selection process. It cuts out all the annoying 'do they like me' bullshit, and puts doing a good job refereeing on the top of the list. Granted, they still need to trust you to not gently caress around once you get there.

tl;dr I don't know your SYRA, but the only way they're going to know you're interested is if you tell them.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I'm going to R4 President's Cup. I'm so excited. 4 days of hotel, food, training and games!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

I'm going to R4 President's Cup. I'm so excited. 4 days of hotel, food, training and games!

Best of luck!

If it's anything like R2 President's Cup was reported to me, you'll have lots of fun with the other referees. I don't know if there'll be much in the games, but do your best and have fun!

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

I don't know if there'll be much in the games, but do your best and have fun!

I think the "have fun" is the part I'm looking forward to. I know President's Cup isn't the best competition, but it's paid training and basically a free vacation.

Do you know anything about the social media aspect of regional tournaments? I was thinking of tweeting a few simple pictures while I'm there, but I'm not sure if that's frowned upon.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

I think the "have fun" is the part I'm looking forward to. I know President's Cup isn't the best competition, but it's paid training and basically a free vacation.

Do you know anything about the social media aspect of regional tournaments? I was thinking of tweeting a few simple pictures while I'm there, but I'm not sure if that's frowned upon.

At R2 regionals, it was warned that it can be a bad idea. Not that it was forbidden, but I'd ask your delegation head or in your welcome meeting. They'll probably go over it anyway. I imagine it won't be a big deal as long as you're just posting pictures of "hey, look at so and so work hard". It's bad to go into commentary though, just like it would be at any other tournament as an official.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

That's awesome Bio-Hazard, congrats!

RE: Social media, of course follow the instruction from your delegation, but the advice given to me for Regionals was "Never talk about assignments, games, teams, players, or officials, and be careful of what you're posting. Teams will research you and if they see, say, a tweet of you and some refs drinking at the bar the night before their game, they might use that as ammo if they don't like you."

Don't now how true the second part of that is but I think it's sound advice all the same. If it's just some photos of you sitting in the ref tent with some other referees or other refs during games, that's pretty harmless. I guess the real question is "If someone saw this photo (and comment), could any bad come of it?" If not, you're fine I think.

In my own adventures, last four games have been fun for different reasons. Was an AR on the 4A Girls (lowest classification) HS State Championship. First game in front of a real crowd. Probably 300-400 people! It was a cool experience and I hope to be back many more times. Since then, I've ran three lines in the local adult league and in those games there were 10 red cards (4 VC, 1 SFP for about the nastiest challenge I've ever seen in person, 5 2C) and a referee got punched. Maaaaaan, I'm bad luck suddenly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

RE: Social media, of course follow the instruction from your delegation, but the advice given to me for Regionals was "Never talk about assignments, games, teams, players, or officials, and be careful of what you're posting. Teams will research you and if they see, say, a tweet of you and some refs drinking at the bar the night before their game, they might use that as ammo if they don't like you."

That is 100% true. These parents have way too much time on their hands while they're sitting on their phones during practices. And it will always get back to the coaches.

In other news, Congrats chaoslord! With the larger the crowd, the dumber the yelling and comments get. I hope you picked up a few good ones. They posted this years HS semi-finals and final on youtube and I watched my game just to hear the nonsense that was spewing out of the stands.

I had an outpatient surgery thing done that I'm recovering from and looking forward to getting back on the horse. I have a deficit in adult league games on my list to fill if I'm going to get my 6 in the next two years. Supposedly there's no lack of games in my new locale.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
You should move to long island, between it and the Burroughs, there are so many games they are begging and bribing with double pay to staff them all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lladre posted:

You should move to long island, between it and the Burroughs, there are so many games they are begging and bribing with double pay to staff them all.

I was told that by a referee from Long Island. Granted, I don't know if I could put up with the crazy that he was telling me about. Well, that and I just moved to the PacNW last year.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I attended my first Referee Development Academy, in Washington, and passed the 35/40 fitness test for the 2nd time this year. The whole thing was free to attend, although it was 4 hours from home. I had a great time and hopefully I'll get my name out there to do some higher-level games!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bio-Hazard posted:

I attended my first Referee Development Academy, in Washington, and passed the 35/40 fitness test for the 2nd time this year. The whole thing was free to attend, although it was 4 hours from home. I had a great time and hopefully I'll get my name out there to do some higher-level games!

Congrats :toot:

The fitness test here is in two weeks but I finally went and hurt myself so I'll have to make it up later.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Been two months so figured it's time to bump.

One of our regionals delegation ended up getting a couple of USL games out of it. Pretty cool to look at the PRO website and say "I know that guy! He's from here."

I've decided I'm going to AR track for sure and so I have not had a whistle since regionals. I haven't had as much time to do games as I'd like but I'm running an adult league line or two every other week or so. Not as sharp as I would like to be but that comes with actual adult responsibilities now haha. Looks like I'll have to put off the upgrade to 6 another year but I'm hoping that 2016 is the year I finally have time to dedicate and do it.

Is anyone going to Disney? Our delegation usually has a good sized group go and I'm debating if I can sell my wife on spending Christmas in Florida.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Can a dog handball?? This is vitally important.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
To my understanding, a dog has four legs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Ask yourself this: does a dog have any hands on those legs?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I need a definitive ruling on the subject.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Some evolutionary anatomists use the term hand to refer to the appendage of digits on the forelimb more generally — for example, in the context of whether the three digits of the bird hand involved the same homologous loss of two digits as in the dinosaur hand.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 8, 2016

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bea Nanner posted:

Can a dog handball?? This is vitally important.

Law 12 says

"A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player...
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)"

It has to be a player for it to be handball. FIFA wouldn't register a dog as a player (at least I don't think they would?), so unless you're in some unaffiliated league in the middle of nowhere a dog can't do that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A dog isn't a player. Stop play, restart with a drop ball at the point of the outside interference after the dog has been removed from the area.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ok but what if the dog was a registered player

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bogan Krkic posted:

Ok but what if the dog was a registered player

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Required Watching:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Bud:_World_Pup

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

What level does the dog play at in Air Bud though? Is it possible he plays in a rec league which does not strictly follow the FIFA laws of association football?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
dogs do not have hands therefore they cannot commit handball this is p. obvious.

however I think that carrying the ball in their mouths would definitely be a foul.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
unrelated:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

JFairfax posted:

dogs do not have hands therefore they cannot commit handball this is p. obvious.

however I think that carrying the ball in their mouths would definitely be a foul.

Would it be a foul if a human player did this?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tigren posted:

Would it be a foul if a human player did this?

it would, that's why kerlon invented the seal dribble

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
If Marouane Fellaini can't carry the ball into the goal with the ball concealed in his massive afro, I don't think a dog should be able to carry it in its mouth, imo.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

it would, that's why kerlon invented the seal dribble

Paddyb posted:

If Marouane Fellaini can't carry the ball into the goal with the ball concealed in his massive afro, I don't think a dog should be able to carry it in its mouth, imo.

Please reference the law that prohibits this, thanks.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

iirc there was a you are the ref about it and it's counted as unsporting behaviour or whatever

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tigren posted:

Please reference the law that prohibits this, thanks.

Law 12 would cover it

"An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:
• plays in a dangerous manner"

Same reason you can't catch the ball between your knees and hop it around. You can't make it so that the only way an opponent can challenge for the ball would make it dangerous to you or them.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
A dog would never handle the ball deliberately, so any occasion of said dog touching the ball with his paws would just result in play on.

As stated earlier however a dog carrying the ball in it's mouth would constitute dangerous play. Regardless of the fact the dog has no intent to deliberately do so.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

maybe the tail is the appendage a dog can't use in playing football? just spitballing here

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Lladre posted:

A dog would never handle the ball deliberately, so any occasion of said dog touching the ball with his paws would just result in play on.

As stated earlier however a dog carrying the ball in it's mouth would constitute dangerous play. Regardless of the fact the dog has no intent to deliberately do so.

I don't think you are giving dogs enough credit by saying they couldn't handle a ball deliberately

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

maybe the tail is the appendage a dog can't use in playing football? just spitballing here

I am no expert but I am led to believe that dogs do not have feet at the ends of their tails so I feel like you are on to something here.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This discussion is more sensible and more rooted in reality than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzrzUwkU7Y

Do not do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well at least he didn't do it in the world cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JFuWqwFg4