Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

During the brief period where new thread titles were being solicited, I was thinking of how to properly word the fact that Devy is the only man who can get away with calling anything "epic" in 2012 with his dignity intact. If Epicloud really is kinda Addicted pt. 2, I'm cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS. Also way more people than I'm used to getting thrown out for starting trouble in the pit region. Paradise Lost apparently had the intestinal death flu or something, they were unable to play, but I dug pretty much everything on display (Stolen Babies were cool when they weren't doing the Danny Elfman gothy polka thing and just, as Dev would say, crushed it.)

Also oh my god Supercrush/Kingdom/Truth/Babysong/Regulator to open I can die now

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Agar Agar posted:

What was up with all of the fighting? I saw at least 3, one of which was a girl wailing on some dude.

Also, here are some videos of that show that I took. They are kind of shaky because hey, I like to tap my foot at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR-zKFv_Pw -Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_ts1lw1Kc -Grace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkcT722CnI -Babysong

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nomapple posted:

Wow, I would never have expected that at a Devy show. My only complaints about the crowd at Dev shows is the reception to the support is often poo poo/rude, because the people there just want to see Dev. There is also a lot of "who is the bigger fan" competition that gets a bit wearisome/grating after a while, but I've never seen a fight. When I saw Addicted live in London it was one of the best atmospheres of any gig I've ever been to. I was on the barrier between a couple who had flown over from New Hampshire and another couple from Scotland. I saw the Scottish couple at the Deconstruction show the following night and it was awesome.

(Not sure if they were actually Scottish but I think they went to see Pain of Salvation with Opeth in Edinburgh the night before)

The support acts actually got some pretty decent love from the Houston crowd compared to some shows I've been at in the past---there was definitely a Katatonia contingent there, and even a few people who knew Stolen Babies' catalog, and the rest of the crowd was pretty cool with them as well. (Like I said, when they weren't playing the Danny Elfman polka, they were awesome.)

I think the atmosphere was a little more "this is a gig on a tour", whereas the London shows were booked as "an event." (I mean, gently caress if I know, I wasn't there.) With that, you've got some people who are just there for the metal show whoooooooooo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JonnyRevolta posted:

Not a big metal head but Devin Townsend always seemed super rad to me. Absolutely love his Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics album

If you dig that record, you'll probably get a kick out of his more recent Ziltoid The Omniscient LP, it's about an alien seeking the ultimate cup of black coffee (to power his spaceship's engines with.) It's got a lot of HRRRRGH METAL moments on it, but it's also got the full gamut of silly voices and such.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I caught Meshuggah opening for Tool way back when---acoustics were horrible in the venue, so it just came off as a wall of noise to my friends to whom I was trying to explain how awesome these guys were.

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be able to make this next leg of Dev's tour, though it'd be massive to see Gojira.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Daaaang. Sick and on stage is no way to go through life.

Upon further recollection, I appear to have zero luck with Tool shows in terms of acoustics. My friends all hated me after I talked up the opener the time we saw them before that---Fantomas. Giant concrete box arena, wall of noise, displeased friends.

(Meshuggah + Fantomas = band not quite entirely unlike Devy? Back on topic!)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Re-recorded, I thought.

I would be into a full remix/remaster of Physicist, though. Material is quite probably my favorite Dev moment ever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think everyone's covered all the highlights at this point, but I've got to cover for the record that's probably the only one not mentioned (aside from weird stuff like Hummer or Devlab): Accelerated Evolution. Sure it's "the pop record", but it's the debut of RVP, it's got some of the best flat-out songs he's ever done (Storm Storm Storm STORM loving CHRIST), it's basically, along with Biomech and Terria, the third point in the line that ends at Epicloud.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like it, but the thrust of the conversation is what record would be a reasonable starting place, which PB is not.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Redeye is the thing that, if memory serves, has Oderus Urungus on to ask his opinion fairly regularly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, Ocean Machine, Terria and Accelerated Evolution, I think, form a loose trilogy---the elemental albums, (as I seem to remember a press release I got working at my college radio station about Accelerated Evolution and SYL/Chickenfeather saying the former was Dev's "air" album) if you will. Moving around those three should be pretty comfortable to a person who enjoyed any individual one of them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The whole record, really. (Material is probably my favorite Devy song, bar none.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

City is my point of entry as well, and since it was also my point of entry to the wonderful world of Tod A., it earns bonus points.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

The sooner Dev leaves this stuff behind the better.

Agreed, holy poo poo. I'm not opposed to having stuff that's funny or goofy, but jesus.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I saw them when they opened for DTP and wasn't thrilled, but that was mostly down to just not liking that particular sound. They're a talented bunch of musicians, I can't say it's a bad decision.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Considering you're mentioning two songs that are heavy but also have a great melodic hook to come back to, my first suggestion would be to start with something like Addicted from the DTP, which is wall to wall that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I imagine it's like when he did AE and the SYL self-titled at the same time, but decided that doing one double/triple album was easier or less expensive than doing two separate albums.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Agreed posted:

I really doubt any musician looking back on life thinks to himself "I'm probably gladdest of all that I never took any risks with my career."

Don Henley.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"win."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Physicist is kind of a dry run for Addicted, it's got some great tunes, but it's basically an unfinished album.

Material is still my favorite single Devin song of all time, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that's the thing, he seems to write as he likes, which is all the drat time. It's the recording and touring that sees to beat the poo poo out of him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

jonathan posted:

WTF is it so pricey in Canada ? Also, it's region encoded. Kiss my rear end devin.
http://www.amazon.ca/Devin-Townsend...565R6TS29DE1XKR

I suspect that they don't actually have a listing there for a disc of Canadian origin yet. That's listed as an import. Just order it from .com or .co.uk.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 20, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Holy poo poo wait what

I just looked at the track listing

Is Devy doing a loving Ween cover on this record? Holy gently caress, my hypemeter just broke if that's the case

quote:

Tracklisting:

Side A

A Truth
A Stormbending
A Failure
A Secret Sciences

Side B

B Higher
B Stars
B Transcendence

Side C

A Offer Your Light
A From The Heart
A Transdermal Celebration

Side D

B Gump
B Loud

VVV oh jeez, I didn't even notice Truth at the top of the list, I am totally okay with the dude mining out his old records with this lineup.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 19, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh my god EIGHT AND A HALF MINUTES OF TRANSDERMAL

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just play the record.

At top volume.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

henpod posted:

Also, I really got into Ween since I found out he was covering one of their songs. Transdermal Celebration is a great track and perfect for him in that spacey kind of way.

Ween is a very deep, yet very rewarding rabbit hole to fall down. The weengoons can help with your devotions to Boognish: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432174

sinking belle posted:

Hey thread what's your favourite dev lyric

it's obviously not his favorite thing, but there's something so completely on about the simple phrase "I warned you" from Home Nucleonics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Kins posted:

This was just posted on Devvy's Facebook page, further confirming that he doesn't know what rest is.

Ocean Machine in some kind of ancient ruined ampitheatre? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• Locked thread