Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I missed the show in Denver, but I danced to Divine at my wedding so I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
No Colorado for the Gojira/Dev tour?! I guess this makes up for him hitting us twice last year.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am very sad that I had to miss this... I hope they sell high quality digital versions of the stream soon.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The second Ziltoid radio is up. This is my favorite thing. How many episodes of this are there going to be? He seemed to imply that there would be 42 of them in the second episode, but that might just be Ziltoid being Ziltoid.

EDIT: Here is the Link

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The barking dogs in Colonial Boy cracked me up. They might have been in the album version, but they really shine in Retinal Circus.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Oh boy! Devin is having all sorts of issues on the latest Ziltoid radio episode. How many more episodes do you think he'll do before bowing out?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Call me a jerk, but I am not really happy with the donations to animal shelters. Maybe it is my personal experience with the inner workings of a number of shelters, but I would rather see the money go to Devin to continue to make awesome music. Cancer research is most likely okay. Children's Hospitals are okay. Maybe disaster relief. Animal shelters are a crap shoot as to whether or not the money is exasperating or helping the problem of 'we got too many drat cats and dogs.'

But that's a side track, I am really happy that he is getting the support he is getting and hope that it funds some awesome stuff from him in the future.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I miss Ziltoid radio. Wasn't he supposed to switch to once a month?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I like this album very much. It is essentially a more mellow Ki.

However, I am happy this is out of the way so he can finish Z2.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a very juvenile man and like Devin's juvenile side. For instance, I am truly sad over the apparent death of Ziltoid radio.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

henpod posted:

If anything, we can hear clips of some new songs on that site :)

I want to submit but don't know where I could go to belt out enough to do it justice.

Totally doing this in the car in the middle of nowhere so I don't piss off the neighbors.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I wasn't at the show, but I worry about that too. The guy does a lot and stretches himself real thin. He needs to relax.

That being said, I am real excited to 'hear' my wife and I's horrible voices somewhere in the background of Z2. They will most likely be drowned out, but to think that I am kinda in there somewhere is fun.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
It looks like all the ziltoid radio shows are of the Internet. :(

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

slogsdon posted:

According to Devin's twitter he remastered the album after sending the album to be press review copies, but the final release will be the remaster, so we needn't worry.

However, if you're someone who listens to album leaks, there's a good chance you'd get the worse version.

Wow. That was fast. It seems like I just sent him a few files of my wife and I's beautiful singing.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

henpod posted:

Devin is definitely way more structured than Mr. Bungle.

Anyway, first review of Z2 is out. The guy loved it, but the review itself is pretty crap.

http://damnationmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/album-review-devin-townsend-project-z2/

I've seen 'My Summer Vacation' essays written better than this. I was looking for maybe descriptions of songs and ideas as opposed to 'this song is good'.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Nam Taf posted:

yo look what just appeared

edit: where do I get that background at the start it's amazing

That is great. Really looking forward to hearing how the whole thing turned out. Man time flies. It has been two years since epicloud.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

axleblaze posted:

I really do want this album to just leak already. I don't think I can take another month.

drat straight! It has been in the hands of reviewers for weeks! Since when are so many people so honest?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

slogsdon posted:

I checked when he posted that and it hasn't leaked.

Yea. The canary in the coal mine is last.fm. Watch the listeners and the scrobbles. Once those numbers skyrocket, it has leaked.

I am looking forward to hearing how the universal choir worked out.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That rules. The low quality radio recording kinda kills it but it is still sounding good.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Devin said that there is a progressive sampler cd going out that has two tracks on it, one from Dark Matters and one from Sky Blue. He was disappointed because they are the bad mix version.

I imagine these 'leaks' are from that and not the album.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I caved very easily and listened to that dumb radio show.

The album sounds great and really just made me pumped for the full quality version. You can tell there is a bunch of awesome poo poo happening in the background. The universal choir sounds awesome but man I wanna hear that thing in its full glory.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Of all the leaked songs, Deathray was my least favorite. If you guys like this, you'll love the rest of the album (or at least the other ten songs that leaked on that one radio show).

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nomapple posted:

Pretty much this. Disconcerted by how un-excited I am about this album right now.

I would still be excited. For me, it seems like the record company chose what would be the 'single' in the same way they chose Lucky Animals. I've been listening to the poor quality leaks (something that I would not recommend) and think literally any other song on that album would have been better. Deathray will not be the automatic skip that Lucky Animals is on Epicloud, but it is certainly my least favorite of the leaks.

Someone somewhere described Deathray as sounding like a 'Ziltoid pinball machine' and I pretty much agree. I am really excited to hear everything in full quality.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know how they pick these things. I wonder how many people took a pass on epicloud because of that stinker of a track.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know how it works really, but everything isn't through hevydevy. It seems like his label deals with the recording and merchandise while Insideout and EMI deals with the marketing and tours. He has stated in the past that he doesn't have control over the tour dates and ticket prices.

So he has more freedom when actually making the album, but once it is done and sent off to the label for promotion and marketing, it is out of his hands. Though I don't think he has complete freedom, as I remember him saying once that the label made him turn down some noodlely guitar parts in the mix of the mighty masturbator. I also think that he dislikes the 'god damns you' part of Juular. He refuses to sing that part live for some reason. Whether this was his regret or the labels decision is unclear, but the fact that he apparently hates it so much makes me wonder why it is there to begin with.

That's why I hope that he crowdfunds more. The guy doesn't poo poo gold, but his best work seems to be when he has as much freedom as he did with Casualties. I think that record and the first Ziltoid were both all him with no intervention.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The last few tracks of sky blue really resonated with me on first listen. I recently lost a loved one so I identify with it.

Dark Matters is fun but there are a couple of tracks I don't care for. War princess and March of the Poozers are the standout tracks. I have a feeling that I will listen to the third disc without dialogue more than the second though. Also according to Twitter, ziltoid and the war princess (who is also a queen I guess) end up on the moon from casualties.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am just looking to buy the three cd version digitally. I already bought the two cd version but would gladly buy it twice. I just don't want two physical sets.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Zalgo posted:

drat the no dialogue version of Dark Matters is pretty much amazing.

So I guess there is nowhere that I can (legally) download this? ITunes and Amazon both don't have it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Willeh posted:

Devy has a pretty deep conversation with :v: Jamey Jasta on his podcast, it's pretty interesting: link

That was a good interview though I kinda wish Jamey would shut up. Part of me thinks that the interviewer babbling is part of the necessary process to get the interviewee to open up. There are quite a few podcasts where the host has the same sort of babbling style like Nerdist or Maron. But the people they talk to tend to be much more open and honest when this happens, which I appreciate.

I wanna hear Devin's $10,000 song with the nickleback producer.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Went to the Denver show with my wife. It was her first metal concert. We both had a good time, but Devin seemed worn down. He s talking about how the crowd was weird the whole tour.

I really think that it is the pairing. More than half the crowd was there for AaL, and they are really the opposite of Devin in many ways. Whoever said watching them was like watching a windows wallpaper in this thread made me crack up halfway through the first song. I was trying to think about why I wasn't getting into them and that quote floated up through my subconscious.

AaL really didn't convey any sort of emotion. It was all thumping riffs interwoven with mastebatory diddly-doos. They are excellent musicians, but their music seems to exist solely for thumping and diddly-doos. It was like generic boom-tisk dance music for metal heads.

Meanwhile Devin is one big ball of emotion. All his songs are about stuff like a recent death, guilt, self doubt, staying positive and other poo poo that he feels. I think it was hard for the AaL crowd to relate. They don't want to feel anything, they just want to go bonkers. There is nothing wrong with that, but it meshes poorly with Devin.

Monuments was really good though. That is one talented front man.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

neillyb posted:

My awesome fiancee got me VIP tickets for the show in Paris - the first show of the European tour. Looking forward to it very much, but also a bit nervous! Not sure what to expect. Met him briefly before in Glasgow at GuitarGuitar in 2011 but this is, like, 20 minutes with them or something. The gently caress do I do?

Bring a board game.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This is only tangently related but Anneke recently released a collaboration with Arjen Lucassen. It is an two disc concept album that tells a story about a sailor and his lady. The catch is that both discs contain the same songs. One has the laid back 'gentle' version and the other has the more aggressive 'storm' version.

In my interpretation, the story is very different with the same lyrics but different tone. For instance (big spoiler) the lady either meets with her long lost sailor lover and gazes into his eyes living happily ever after because the sailor had a gentle voyage, or gets to see his dead body and mourns for the lost times because he died in the stormy voyage. The lyrics are the same. The tone literally determines if the sailor lives or dies. In my opinion, it is really well done and innovative. Luckily, the lyrics were written by Anneke so they aren't that bad either.

Edit : according to Wikipedia, my interpretation is wrong. I like my version better.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 31, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Even if The Gentle Storm weren't clever (which it might not be, as I might be projecting my own interpretation on it), it is worth a listen for anyone who likes Anneke. She is excellent here, sounding better than Z2 in my opinion. Devin should listen and draw some inspiration for proper Anneke utilization. Sometimes I feel like he saturates her in reverb, where A Gentle storm shows that she is best when she just does her thing with minimal effects.

People should let me know about their interpretation. I don't know where Wikipedia got its story. For instance, apparently the lady dies but I don't hear that at all in either the gentle or storm versions. I like my version best because I think it is clever and cool, so Wikipedia can suck an egg.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
He actually said how much he makes in a recent podcast about the music industry. I don't remember the number, but you are 100% correct. He is makes what I would expect a software engineer or maybe engineering management to make. It is a decent income to raise a family on and to pay off the mortgage, but he won't be driving Ferraris anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
No Denver... what a stinker

• Locked thread