Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am sending my Canon AE-1 around the world.

Here's the camera, with the two lenses also included:

Camera Around the World-3 by Execudork, on Flickr
50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/3.5. Both have 55mm filter threads.

If you want to participate, here are the rules:
1. Get the camera, shoot a roll of film, develop the film, and post the pictures here.
2. Ship the camera to the next person.

You'd get the use of the camera for free for however long it takes you to burn a roll of film, but you'd be responsible for the cost of sending it to the next person as well as any costs associated with the film. If this all goes to poo poo and I lose the camera I won't be ruined, but it'd be a pretty big dick move to just say "free camera!" and keep it. Depending on your local market, I'd say the value of the camera, lenses, and case totals no more than about $100-$150 - which is practically free in photography dollars! In any case, if you need to declare a value when sending it, I think $100 would not be considered dishonest.

We'll make the arrangements for who gets the camera next here, by consensus agreement, my capricious and unpredictable mood swings, or by decree from SoundMonkey. Without piling too much responsibility on somebody else, I'm leaving the right to shut this whole thing down if it gets stupid to SoundMonkey. I'll pay for shipping the camera back to me if such a fate awaits (unless some jackass sent it to Antarctica or somewhere).

I'm going with this AE-1 for a few reasons, despite the fine suggestions in the "No Advice" thread.
1. That 80's semi-professional feel (two different prime lenses! solid piece of brass! big noisy winder crank!)
2. More of a conversation starter, if you choose to actually talk to people when you shoot :tinfoil:
3. Full manual control. No autofocus, no Program mode. The AE-1 has shutter priority mode, but that's it. The meter is simple and robust.
4. For the AE-1 specifically, this is one of the cameras that put Canon in the game. In the late '70's (if Wikipedia is to be believed), professionals used Nikon and everybody else fought it out in the weak consumer market. Canon pumped out a few million FD-mount brass boxes (and L-glass), and ended up with a reputation good enough for significant numbers of professionals to switch.
5. Shipping costs will be significant, which is why I'm very much advocating "slow-and-cheap" over any kind of speed. International economy, which is about one step up from slapping a note on the box and tossing it in the sea, could take weeks to months to cross from continent to continent, but will cost the least.
6. The case is hard plastic, and I will be certainly be requesting people personalize it when it passes through their hands (try not to ruin its structural integrity; stickers are very welcome).
EDIT: This Quiet Reverie posted this comment on my Flickr:
You should have dorkroomers sign the case.
I think this is a good idea.
7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Show me your world.

If you want to arrange in person delivery, please go ahead, but I want this thing to go global. If you are taking a trip and want to hand off the camera at your destination, that's cool, too.

On that note, I will be travelling to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia in late October, and returning to Canada in late February. I'd be happy to carry the camera with me either direction, if that's how things work out.

Here are two more pictures of the camera in its case:

Camera Around the World-1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Camera Around the World-2 by Execudork, on Flickr

EDIT: Serial numbers
Canon AE-1 s/n: 928999
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C. s/n: 701772
Canon Lens FD 35mm 1:3.5 S.C. s/n: 140228

Combination Lock: 1-5-1 (until some postal worker, fedex minion, or customs official cuts it off)

Bonus! I've started a Tumblr to accumulate the photos that result from this. People who shoot with the camera can email the pictures directly to the tumblr as posts, I will send out the email address to people as they announce they have received the camera.

Maximum file size is 10mb; each email is considered one file by tumblr, so you might have to break your upload up into multiple posts to keep the total file attachments under that limit.

http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com/

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Shipping Costs

Sending a lump of brass in a tough Pelican case across continents and oceans is not going to be cheap. I've run some numbers through some postal websites (Canada Post, USPS, Australia Post), and here's what I found out.

Dimensions
The Pelican 1150 case is about
24cm x 19cm x 12cm
(9.5 x 7.5 x 4.5 inches)
and
1.9 kg
(4.2 pounds)
with the camera body and two lenses inside.

Feel free to plug those numbers into your favourite shipping calculator; what follows are the lowest prices I could find. I didn't dig too far into the USPS system, which has various discounts based on stuffing your package into one of their standard boxes. I believe this case will fit inside a "Regional Box B", but somebody else will have to work out those details.

Within Canada
by Canada Post
S7H 2R7 (Saskatoon, SK) to T2J 3T4 (Calgary, AB)
$10.90
S7H 2R7 to M4N 2M8 (Toronto, ON)
$13.48

Canada to USA
S7H 2R7 to 23606 (Newport News, VA)
$26.95 (Canada Post)
$22.09 (Fedex)

S7H 2R7 to 75080 (Richardson, TX)
$25.82 (Canada Post)
$23.92 (Fedex)

S7H 2R7 to 94973 (Woodacre, CA)
$23.17 (Canada Post)
$26.08 (Fedex)

To United Kingdom
S7H 2R7 to UK (Canada Post just wants the country)
$22.23
Fedex prices are silly - like $140 silly

To Australia
S7H 2R7 to Australia
$24.75

Within USA
23606 (Newport News, VA) to 94973 (Woodacre, CA)
$15.46 (stuffed into "Regional Rate Box B")
$18.74 (Fedex)

60622 (Chicago, IL) to 75080 (Richardson, TX)
$10.80 (stuffed into "Regional Rate Box B")
$13.55 (Fedex)

Within Australia
Sydney to Hobart
$15.35 (regular parcel "my own box")
$11.40 (prepaid parcel post plus 3kg satchel)

Australia to UK
$39.60 (Seamail)

Australia to USA
$39.60 (Seamail)

I stopped messing with these websites at that point. The size and weight of the package should be enough to get you an estimate for whatever destination you want to send this.

Summary
I'm happy to send this anywhere - for $15 within Canada, or $25 to the USA, UK, Australia, etc. (Canada Post seems to regard the rest of the world pretty much the same, though presumably shipping times will vary).
For fairness, if you arrange to hand this to somebody directly (and thus spend approximately zero on shipping), please consider tossing in a bit of money for the next long-distance move it will make. I understand not everybody is as cavalier with their disposable income as I (I'm basically financially retarded, so there's that), so if you'd rather keep it fairly local I won't complain. Shipping cost is a reasonable decision-making factor when it comes to who gets it next.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 1, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Convince me to send the camera to you first!

This list of people is based on responses in the "No Advice" thread, after I made it clear the AE-1 is the camera that's travelling in all its heavy-brass-lump glory.

torgeaux posted:

Definitely in.

and the following people replied with Zip codes to help me figure out shipping costs.
a foolish pianist
BobTheCow
Verman
Impact Damage
Mr. Despair
Elite Taco
atomicthumbs
Awkward Davies

Like I said: convince me it should go to you next. One way to do that would be to arrange who gets it after you (local mini goonmeet?)

EDIT: Just to make sure it's clear: the above list is not the limit of people I'm willing to send to. Anybody can enter this thing, just convince me (us) that you will take at least one cool picture. The above list will be used to break ties should such occur.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 1, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VomitOnLino posted:

For example instead of shipping from US to Japan and then back to Canada, it might be better to go: Canada, US, US, Australia, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Yurop, US, Canada... or something like that.
Yes. Good idea.

Mr. Despair posted:

If you send it to me first I won't make a "shoulda been a pentax me super" joke.

But seriously, shoulda been a pentax me super

Pentax ME Super by Execudork, on Flickr
I'm much too fond of mine to send it out to a bunch of reprobrates like you!

TomR posted:

I'm in. Send it to me last in my area because I have a really good deal with FedEx and I'll be able to ship it far far away for minimal cost.
I'm around Hamilton, ON.
Cool. I'll keep that in mind. Gonna call it right now: you're probably sending it to Japan or Australia.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

Edit: I think I should give this a pass, given the unreliability of my postal service and my tight schedule.
Bah! Those are terrible reasons to eliminate an ENTIRE GODDAM COUNTRY from this adventure! You're the only Dorkroomer I know of in Singapore, and I went to the trouble of calculating shipping to your Repressive City State (which took all of 3 seconds, but still). Anyways, I love your "Botanical Gardens" series.

Schedule-wise, people here might not see this camera for months, I'm not expecting this to be a rapid process of pass-the-canon. So your schedule issues are meaningless!

If you don't want to play now, you can join later. Or not, I'm really not trying to be a dick about this.

Impact Damage posted:

Do Canadians use a Battleship grid instead of zipcodes?
The rest of the world uses a range of codes, mostly not boring 5-digit strings. Also, I launch a carrier strike against A-1 through B-10 (carpet bombing).

OK. I'm clearly going to have to make a decision and send this thing off to SOMEBODY pretty soon here. I like the idea of starting in New York, if only because it will be so completely different from the pictures I can take around here (I'm in the middle of the low-population, empty part of the map). Then we'll see how it goes, but a few clusters (Virginia? Washington?) to get things rolling seems like a good way to build up a little momentum.

Does anyone have any strong objections to me sending it to Awkward Davies first?

Awkward Davies, please PM me or email me at martinbrummell AT msn DOT com.

EDIT: Proof this camera has no light leaks!

Saskatchewan-1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Saskatchewan-2 by Execudork, on Flickr

I took these photos back in March, shortly after I bought the camera. The film was old expired Kodak Gold 200, so the colour shifts are due to that. The dust spots, poor composition, and boring subject matter are entirely my fault, though. See what I mean about New York being completely different?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 2, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TomR posted:

Keep it in Canada first. You don't want to have multiple import charges.

Good point. I buy stuff on ebay / otherwhere pretty often, usually from the States, and I've not been dinged. How likely is a Yanqui to get hit with an import duty on a $100 package declared "camera"?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I won't be able to get to the post office until Saturday anyways, so there's time for more discussion. The customs-fees thing is slightly worrisome, but I think absent some solid information we'll just go for it and see what happens. Plans can change if obstacles arise. I'll cover it if the border wants an import fee (as long as it's not totally outrageous).

I see no need to plan this too far ahead, but just as an idea, I'm thinking:

New York area for 2 or 3 goons
Awkward Davies
nonanone
Was there somebody else in the NY area? Maybe to geeves? How long does shipping take when it's one-state-over?

Then probably AAIIAZNSK8ER

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I am so excited for this project.
Enthusiasm counts!
possibly meeting up with
BobTheCow
and sending it to / meeting up with
torgeaux

When I look at a map, New York and Virginia don't seem too far apart, so if it bounces around a bit across the Megopolis (Boston to D.C. is basically one big city, right? :v: ) that's fine.

A few people have already very generously volunteered to be responsible for the longer moves (thank you!), so after the East Coast USA section, either across the continent, possibly with stops in the middle (OK, WA, CA), or back up to Canada (QC, ON), then across an ocean. I'd rather not have this endlessly circle within North America, I'd rather see it go all the way around at least once. Big zig-zag moves only cost time and money, after all. :)

I'd love it if this got going long-term as well as long distance, and I see no reason for the camera to come back to me any time soon (fly! be free!). Goons have chimed in from all over North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, Israel, and Singapore (with some persuasion). It comes down to the person holding it at the moment - you decide how much you're willing to spend to kick it onwards. To get it to everyone who has said "I'm in" already requires at minimum crossing the Atlantic, the Pacific, and across the width of Eurasia. If it lines up with long moves as somebody's luggage, that's great, but I don't think we need to plan this with anything like that level of precision.

I also see no problem with it returning to the same person at some point if schedules and special events and geography dictate. Strict equality (of costs, of opportunities) is not a priority - we'll try to get it to everyone who wants it, but not in any strict order, at least as far as I'm concerned. Side note: nobody has ever described me as somebody who gets things done very quickly, so my expectations are that the camera will sit in each person's possession for as long as it needs to. I'd rather it sits on somebody's couch for a few days because it's early for some special event than have people berating each other for not spraying-and-praying their film.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and enthusiasm so far, especially to TomR for both the customs thing (we'll find out!) and the yes-we-will-take-you-up-on-that "far far away" by Fedex thing.

Point of clarification: I expect you to run an entire roll of film through it. I don't expect you to post every shot, just what you want us to see. And if you feel like taking more pictures than that, cool.

Awkward Davies sent me his address by email, so think I'll send it to him on Saturday. He's used an AE-1 before (with considerable skill - nice shots!), so having an experienced person play with it first should help to sort out any issues before they become really awkward (user name notwithstanding).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I shot a roll in the camera yesterday (Thursday), and got the developed negatives back this afternoon and scanned them in. A little light editing in Lightroom, and we have our first "official" Camera Around the World photos. I'm going to call myself User #1, feel free to ignore or break this convention.

I just went with "my daily walk to and from school", to keep it simple. It's a reasonable slice of my world, since I walk past these things every day, Monday to Friday.
"Shopper's Drug Mart" brand 400 ISO film. Sorry about the dust, I guess I missed a few.

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It has begun!
It is now on its way to Awkward Davies

It cost more than I expected (a website lied to me? Why I never!), but whatever. I have no idea how long Canada Post "Expedited" parcel will take, but as a wild guess, late next week. Sitting on the Canada Post scale, it weighed 1.905 kg.

Also, I put a lock on the case, a little combination lock for luggage. The combo is 1-5-1 (letters-to-numbers from A-E-1); I'll edit the OP to include that. The lock is more to prevent casual tomfoolery than as a serious attempt to deter theft. For all I know customs will simply cut it off as soon as it crosses the border.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
TEXAS?!?!

If it goes to cluster of Texa-goons, I expect Steers and Queers! :clint: :bahgawd:
Or something. It's out of my hands now, but if y'all wanna put together a mini-goon-meet around this camera that sounds pretty good. (did I do that right?)

I'm still pondering the name idea, I expect the name to emerge from the background radiation of the universe while somebody is juuuust pressing the shutter button on the last frame of their roll, I don't want to rush that process.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm going away for a week, canoeing, so I won't have a chance to check this thread until probably about August 19 or 20. I haven't seen Awkward Davies tell us he's received the camera, but Canada Post is not known for speed so I'm not particularly worried. Not that I expected anyone to, but please don't rely on my input for where it goes next. We've got nonanone lined up for it next, then wherever, but probably still on the east coast kind of area.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awkward Davies have you received it yet? I'm not quite worried yet, but I'm hoping you'll see it very soon if you aren't out shooting it already :ohdear:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
nonanone, time to chime in here. That was the plan, as I recall.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Any news from NY? Photos? Wild stories? Tales of debauchery? Clandestine hand-offs?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VoodooXT posted:

Also, is anyone keeping track of who's signed up for Photog(oon) 'round the World?

I started this goonyness, I'll keep track of it. Basically, this thread serves as the big ol' list o' "I'm in". And I'll take SoundMonkey up on the custom titles offer should it become necessary. It's not necessary, as far as I can tell, yet. We had similar kinds of whoops-my-life-got-crazy-sorry-for-the-delays happen in the couple of print exchanges I've participated in. Judging from his avatar, my guess is Awkward Davies encountered some delays cleaning hipster blood off of the camera after he used it to bludgeon a few to death. Hopefully he got some pictures of the carnage.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Travels of the camera to date:
Start: Saskatoon, Canada
1st destination: New York

Next in line is nonanone, also in New York.

It will be up to whoever is holding the camera to make the final decision on where to send it, but I'd like it to make a complete lap around the globe at least once, and not endlessly circle within one country or region.

Several people have chimed in with generous offers to send it long distances, so lobbing it across an ocean fairly often shouldn't be a problem. Having said that, AIIAZNSK8ER, in Virginia (right?) has expressed the most enthusiasm for it, so I'm hoping it can go that way, after NY.

edit: four weeks isn't up to my annoyance threshold, but I have been able to determine Awkward Davies is still active on the forums, so apparently he's not dead.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'd be down with that. I'll put it out there: do we want a tumblr with an uninterrupted series of photos from this one camera, or do we want to keep the photos in this thread, where they will form islands of images surrounded by text-only posts?

The idea of critique in this thread, which was pivotal in the SAD vs. PAD mess from a few months ago, has only occurred to me now.

I invite your opinions on both issues.

\/\/\/ Good point. Showing off to friends is an enjoyable pasttime. Now we need a name for the tumblr (and several backup names in case the first choice is taken).

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 19, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Santa is strapped posted:

Yea I like the Tumblr idea. Maybe we can have a sister thread going on here, its own dedicated thread.
Tumblr will happen, after people have a chance to suggest some more names. I don't understand the sister thread thing, though - this thread isn't enough? What would we talk about in another thread devoted to this?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Seems like there's enough people to keep it around New York for a few more passes before it comes down South.

Cool. The man himself has blessed some more rounds around NY, NY.

Mannequin posted:

Yeah, I probably won't do too much in NYC otherwise that would be boring, and there are cool things in New Jersey that some people just don't know about. We're actually a much cooler state than people realize. (We're kind of a big deal actually). Why don't you give it to Dorkasaurus and he can give it to me. And then I'll give it to that other NJ goon and then he can send it to AIIAZNSK8ER?

Would that work out and make everyone happy?
It seems to be OK with AIIAZNSK8ER and with nonanone, so it's OK by me.

nonanone posted:

I do have the camera now, so when I'm finished (should be pretty soon, since I've got a couple days just to shoot this weekend) I'll arrange a clandestine awkward handoff with Dorkasaurus. Awkward Davies is very nice and I'm sure he'll have photos up for everyone much more quickly than he shot them. (hint hint)
Hurray!

Awkward Davies posted:

Hand off successful. Very very very sorry for the long long wait. Working four different jobs for little to no money has a way of sapping one's ability to shoot. I'm headed out of town for a photojournalism workshop tomorrow, but will have the pictures developed when I get back (Oct 1).
Hurray again!

Mannequin posted:

I love it when a plan comes together.
Me too. Glad to see some movement happening again.

So the sequence of shooters is now:
nonanone (in possession) New York
dorkasaurus_rex New York
Mannequin New York or somewhere nearby with a similar name
rio New Jersey and its scenic pollution
AIIAZNSK8ER Virginia (which is somehow "South" - Texagoons, Australia goons, feel free to deride Virginia at this time)
BobTheCow Virginia
torgeaux Virginia and willing to give it a good hard shove to at least another time zone.

How's that look to people?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hurray! Any estimates on when we can see some pics?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awesome. I'm working on getting the tumblr up and running now. Thanks very much, nonanone!

Did the handoff to dorkasaurus_rex go down successfully / awkwardly?

EDIT: Re-iterating that the pictures are excellent, nonanone

Also, Tumblr is up:

http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com/

"Dicpix.tumblr.com" was taken; I did not venture there to see. But our Tumblr is indeed titled "D.I.C.P.I.X."

Once I figure out the best way for other people to upload their pictures to it (first guess: email) I'll send out the relevent info to Awkward Davies and nonanone.

I'd like to have the pictures appear in both this thread, and the Tumblr.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 3, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got emailing to the tumblr to work. Seems fairly straightforward.
For those who have never emailed a post into a tumblr, you simply send an email to a particular email address linked to the tumblr, with the title of the post as the subject line, any photos as attachments, and any text in the body of the email if you like.

I will email the address to people as they announce they have received the camera.

I have Awkward Davies' email address already, nonanone please PM me or email me at (all one word) martin brummell AT msn DOT com. dorkasaurus_rex please do the same when you get the camera.

pim01 thanks for the long-distance shipping offer. I think we'll hold you to it!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

Just develop your dicpix already, gosh.

Hey can you add a link to the tumber to the OP so it's easier to find the link in the future?

Seconding the "develop and post your pix already" request - and that goes to everyone who fondless this camera in futre.

Also, tumblr link in OP. Good call.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

nonanone posted:

A nice excuse, but go develop them anyways!

I also added my pictures to the tumblr, hooray.

nonanone's photos are indeed on the tumblr. Now I don't feel like I'm just throwing stuff into the void! Other people are standing on the precipice and throwing stuff in, too! The rest of you, go there and admire those photos again.

This took a little back-and-forth in PMs to achieve, so here's some advice I will also add to the OP: maximum file size is 10mb. I uploaded mine directly so even though my total file load came in at 15mb, it went through. I guess tumblr treats emails as individual files, so make sure your total email attachment size is under 10mb. Break it up into multiple posts and all will be well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hurray!!! Great stuff, thanks for putting it up. Did you get my email with the information for posting to the tumblr?

Dorkasaurus_Rex and nonanone, did the hand-off happen?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

a foolish pianist posted:

I think there are a bunch of us in the midwest. It looks like the camera will get here too late to catch the nice fall colors, though. Maybe it'll bum around Virginia long enough for it to get snowy up here.

Here's the list of midwest folks who've posted:

a foolish pianist: Ann Arbor
Trevor Hale: Chicago
xzzy: Chicago
Man_of_Teflon: Chicago
geeves: Pittsburgh
dakana: Dayton, Ohio
RizieN: Cincinatti
Enter Char: Wisconsin
Mr. Despair: South Dakota
Quoting this so I can find it again by searching for myself (which I might be able to find using both hands :downs: )

Also, Hamilton ON is like 2-3 hours away from London ON, so I wouldn't put them in different regions. Just me, though. Rarely is Ontario considered part of the American Midwest, in my experience.

From Page 4, updated:

ExecuDork posted:

dorkasaurus_rex New York IN POSSESSION
Mannequin New York or somewhere nearby with a similar name
rio New Jersey and its scenic pollution
AIIAZNSK8ER Virginia
BobTheCow Virginia
torgeaux Virginia and willing to give it a good hard shove to at least another time zone.

I would like to see some longer-distance movement, like either across the Atlantic or to the West Coast of the USA. But, there are many enthusiastic goons in the fly-over states ("Midwest", Texas, I'm sure other areas are well-represented).

Middle-America goons, convince the rest of us to send it to you!
With the caveat (and to repeat myself), all movements of the camera are ultimately up to whoever is currently holding it. So you're really gonna have to convince torgeaux if nobody earlier on the list changes the plan.

dorkasaurus_rex PM me or email me (email address under spoiler tags on page 1) and I'll send you the email address to post to the tumblr.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sorry, I was out of internet contact for the last week or so.

dorkasaurus_rex, take pictures with the camera. Get them developed (or develop them yourself) and put them up on teh intarwub somewhere. I will send you the necessary information to put them on the Tumblr.

Also, pass the camera to Mannequin unless you suddenly decided you hate him and everything he stands for. It happens, so we'll understand (not specifically to Mannequin, just in general) but we do want you to pass the camera on when you've shot a roll through it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cutting in line requires convincing the rest of us (especially the current possessor) that you deserve it. You're gonna have to come up with a pretty special reason to convince a bunch of curmudgeonly Dorkroomers.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ShotgunWillie posted:

I'm NYCs largest beekeeper and 20 of my hives got swept into the East River by Sandy.

Taking photos cheers me up.

:smith:
That's... that's pretty convincing.

Sorry dude, that's bad news. How many hives do you have left? (that are certainly now comically overcrowded with bees couch-surfing and engaging in wacky hijinks and misunderstandings)

I'm OK with you getting the camera soon, we're waiting on dorkasaurus_rex, as far as I know. No rush, dorkasaurus_rex, just keeping things up-to-date.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Regarding the new title ("Sure hope it's weather-sealed!", for those of you reading this IN THE FUTURE!), the camera is NOT weather-sealed. But, inside the Pelican case it should be very safe indeed.

Unless there are sharks, bears, or small children around.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's currently stuck in New York City. NEW YORK CITY!?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPBXfnIpYI

Given the weather recently in that part of the world, I'm happy to cut the New Yorkers some slack on this little adventure. But it'd be nice if dorkasaurus_rex, last known possessor of the camera, could give us a quick update.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I put new batteries in it when I got it. I shot I think 3 rolls through it before sending it to NY. Unless somebody's been leaving it with the shutter release half-pressed, activating the light meter, it's probably fine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hurray! ShotgunWillie, dorkasaurus_rex get in touch with each other. Let's get this moving again.

Thanks for giving the camera some care & attention.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

I don't want to like come in here and dickwave (although that's exactly what I'm doing), but does anyone have a problem with me (or ExecuDork) just decreeing that after the next person finishes with it, it's leaving the East coast?
I'm not willing to get into a dickwaving contest with a mod. Can't win - even if my wang is more doodle, I'll get slapped upside my helmet by a charge of mod sass.
:flaccid::pwn:

Having said that, getting it moving again is the priority. Either Virginia, the Midwest, Texas, or the Pacific Northwest, then across an ocean. Mannequin bowed out for this lap around the planet, so it's definately moving away from the New England area.

Virginians, Midwesterners, Texans, PWCers: convince us it should go to your region. You have until ShotgunWillie burns halfway through his roll to do so, or I will choose haphazardously and capriciously (and possibly ironically - don't make me get all hipster on your asses!).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes, dorkasaurus_rex, please give the camera (and the accessories - both lenses, blue Pelican case) to ShotgunWillie.
PM, email, phone call / text. There are many communications options available.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
More is better. Pan-F 50 / 36 is my vote.
Take pictures of a typical day-in-the-life (if that means 35 frames of "dog" and 1 frame of "dogshit", so be it!)

I can't remember if the ISO dial on the camera can be set to 50 or not.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Could work. What do the rest of you fools think?

Also, ShotgunWillie, PM me or email me (address earlier in thread) for the details how to post to the tumblr (that goes for you, too, dorkasaurus_rex)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
drat. Sorry about that. I get batteries from ebay, mainly from an ebay store based in California. Hillflowerstore, something like that - ebay is being annoying at the moment so I can't confirm.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Are we certain it takes LR44? I half-remember it taking one larger battery, like a AA but shorter.

Email regarding Tumblr sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awesome. Thank you very much!

• Locked thread