Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Ultra-rich family? Sibling in-fighting? Mutual hate between each and everybody?

:frogon:

It seems like there is enough material to do a short series on the feuds alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Omniphile posted:

As far as I know, that's exactly how absinthe is prepared.

Kinzo is hardcore batshit awesome.

Omniphile got it right. Apparently it has something to do with the anise flavouring in absinthe.

For any curious viewer, Wikipedia teaches how absinthe should be prepared.

By the way, could the characters all have English-sounding name because the game makers are targetting the English-speaking world in the first place?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So much stuff, and we have only finished the first meal on the first day here. How much is left for this chapter?

Also, how many chapters does this VN have? From the discussions, it seems to have at least six.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So Kinzo's reckless investment when he was young was part of his "gamble at desperate situation" magic then?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The kanji for Kinzo, 金藏, can be roughly translated as "hidden gold".

It is a fitting name for someone who purportedly hid literally tons of gold somewhere.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

Holy poo poo there's finally actual TIPs in the TIPs section! It's just the epitaph again for easy reference, no differences in the wording. So uh, full disclosure. It's...not really fully solvable at this point because this episode doesn't even have some of the clues necessary to really figure it out. And even then, it requires English/Japanese/Chinese trilingualism and some knowledge of Asian geography. And the original Japanese game, basically, as it involves a bunch of character reading fuckery that doesn't really convert to English well.
I happen to know Chinese so we're already 2/3 of the way to solving this. :smug:

By the way, is the epitaph only solvable in the original Japanese text? If so, we will need that to start theorizing.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Welcome back, Shiny777. :)

While the mysterious umbrella giver can be attributed to something like split personality, it is curious that even the servents knew the witch has visited Kinzo before.

Now is the time to go :f5: I guess.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Wait a second. Due to the typhoon, nobody can leave the island which means they can't actually "find" the gold unless it is on the island itself. That would be very unlikely given OP's hint that knowledge of Asian geography is required to solve the riddle.

Or is the clause fulfilled as soon as anyone on the island say, "I know the gold is at XXX and my reasoning is this..."?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

The why-dunnit pretty much requires Chiru, though, if memory serves.

So we need to get an endangered animal before solving the mystery then? :v: Just kidding

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Something like "Witch power > Mod judgement" may be appropriate as well. :downs:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Walterion posted:

Having Battler as an avatar is not much of an improvement, I think it's a downgrade in some shape or form.

OP can certainly use a Kinzo avatar. It would be an improvement in every shape and form imaginable.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Perhaps everybody is Beatrice. She is more of a subconscious influence that coerce Krauss to discover the ingot, Kinzo to throw out his ring, whoever to write the letter and give it to Maria, Maria to read the letter and so on.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I hope Kinzo will die late. We need more of his absinthe-fueled crazy talk.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So at least some of the victims' faces are damaged beyond recognition... which is one of the ways a murderer can disguise themselves as being dead.

At this point, I guess we can rule out Maria (for the lack of strength) and Battler (doesn't seem like an unreliable narrator) as murderer.

Oh, and the old maid has not appeared thus far. This is suspicious.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 9, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Note that all victims were at the mansion during the night, and Shannon and Gohda were somehow there thanks to a schedule change. That means the murderer was probably in the mansion, and whoever responsible for changing the schedule is a possible suspect.

And Eve seems like the biggest suspect by far, but knowing this type of story, it would be pointed out soon and she would probably be among the next batch of victims.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Witches don't exist, that would make no sense.

Anastasiya posted:

....What do you know, you inferior being. Beatrice exists! She made Maria stop uu-uu-ing with the power of her ~magic~! Clearly, a miracle was performed.
Repeat this conversation for eight whole chapters and we have Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

It is time to pack and leave, folks. There's nothing more to see. :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Another thing that suggests Kinzo is the culprit is in the letter.

The second to last sentence can be read as Kinzo being the opponent of the others.

Autumncomet posted:

Now that I think on it, the killer can't be one of the 'dead' six unless Nanjo is conspiring with them and that clearly goes against Knox. I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse.
The victims' faced are all disfigured to the point where you can see bones though. Besides, that trick has already been used in one of Agatha Christie's novels - I doubt that the game will scoop so low as to steal a trick from a decade-old work.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I was referring to the "Nanko is conspiring with the killer who plays dead" part, which is an important point of the plot in one of Christie's most famous stories.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
For the scorpian charm, perhaps the culprit intends to spare the siblings for the time being, so he/she shaked the room's door to check if Jessica is in. He/she heard a rattle, assumes that Jessica was in the room because of the charm's instruction and left. This would explain the marking on the door as well.

On another note, don't forget that the letter was given to Maria by somebody Maria claims to be Beatrice, which means "Beatrice" is either:

1. a female;
2. a male with good disguise and a feminine physique to fool a girl (presumably not that hard but that still takes skills).

Or it could all be Maria's doing. :tinfoil:

And we haven't even touched on how "Beatrice" got the ring to seal the letter. It should be fair to assume that he/she did not wait outside the mansion for the ring, so it must have either been stolen or borrowed from Kinzo (the game has explicitly said forging is impossible).

Man this detective thingy is hard.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The crazy face is a bit over the top. I was scared at the first sight but then it become so silly that it makes me chuckle. A more normal face would have done the job better.

By the way, I have found a better sprite for Rudolf's little speech:

...... Hey, Battler. Why do you think they go to all of the trouble to make movies like this about demons and the occult and such?

It's because they don't exist. ...Something that ridiculous can't be found anywhere on the planet. Because they don't exist, people want to see them and go to a lot of effort making them. That's why those occult movies just make me laugh. If I were forced to choose, I'd say, rather than demons and monsters, this year's earnings call and angry wives are 100 million times scarier.

I'll go further, alright? If you force me to.
What you're scared of is something made to entertain people who have too much time on their hands and too much empty space in their minds.

They have so much free time, they don't know what to do with it, so in order to play around with their unusual emotions, they created a culture of demons and monsters and stuff.

(I am sorry, Mr. Sagan)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Maybe she thought to kill even Jessica, but she couldn't for some reasons.

Maybe Jessica offering her the scorpion charm manages to convince her to spare the daughter.

One question: Can we assume that the third-person descriptions in the novel are reliable? I have been assuming so, but if that isn't the case, it would throw off a lot of assumptions.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

TheArchimage posted:

Also, the reasoning might be a little metagamey, but there certainly would have been audible internet backlash if R07 strung people along for eight games only for the culprit to have been motivated solely by money or something underwhelming like that.
That and all the adults are in dire need for money.

I think every speculation here thus far would be thoroughly debunked in a chapter or two though. :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

To get meta-gamey, I just sort of assumed that each part of the epitaph would get its own chapter. Chapter one for the 6 sacrifices, chapter two for the pair torn apart, and so on. Maybe additional motivation to kill is introduced? :ohdear: It's entirely possible (and likely) that we don't know something about the siblings' past. Old grudges?

A day has already passed and we are still in Chapter 1. If each batch of murder gets its own chapter, the later ones would have to occur after the typhoon has passed, and I doubt the murderer would do something so risky.

Unless a witch is involved, that is. :unsmigghh:

Talking about the murders, I think it is quite likely that the victims are killed without a struggle - it is too time-consuming and risky to fight six persons in one night, and the post-death disfigurement is meant to make everybody think they are violently killed.

Likewise, the murderer probably lured the victims to the warehouse (or somewhere nearby) because moving six dead bodies is a tough job even if for Kinzo, who have servants at his disposal. Perhaps the magic circle is drawn to lure them there?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

drat you I thought their was a new update.

drat right. Oh the despair. :ohdear:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So many :words: in this update. I still think that Kumasawa is the one behind it, by the way.

LeeDless posted:

Shiny777 do you think you could include a link to officially buy this game in your OP?

The problem with the link is that it does not work for every region. Is there one that works for Hong Kong? :saddowns:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It does seem probable that the culprit gave the charms to Maria for protection against "Beatrice", but he/she should know that Jessica is staying at the guesthouse for the night. Why would he/she need to check Natsuhi's room when Jessica is certainly not there?

Now for some prediction:

The next verse talks about tearing apart the two that were close. While a number of interpretations are possible, I would assume it means the death of two persons related in some manner, as that provides a bigger dramatic impact than a single death, and we have already seen relations being torn apart by murder.

Of the remaining cast, only George's family remains intact, so they would be prime victim choices. I think Eve would die since the biggest suspects usually get killed quite soon, and George because the cousins are not quite shaken enough yet.

Lastly, the letter warns about collecting all of Kinzo's family as the interest unless the riddle is solved. As that probably would not happen any time soon, it means even Battler would get killed eventually. How would the story goes on then?

The first post suggests that this game will follow the Higurashi tradition of looping everything over:

Shiny777 posted:

They are about girls in fancy dresses using colored text and looping closed circle murder mysteries to troll the bastard child of Phoenix Wright, Captain Falcon, and Zelos Wilder.

but a loop would certainly involve magic of some sort, which Battler (and the reader) is supposedly against. It would be interesting to see how the game will mesh that element in without ruining the murder mystery.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Next victims: Eva and Hideyoshi. It has been nice while you are around.

And the asthma part rules out Jessica as a murderer. Even though the victims probably died without a struggle, it is still tons of work to plow the faces and move the bodies.

Shiny777, your avatar is funny but what does that bird have to do with anything at all?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Door chains can probably be locked from outside, but there is a disturbingly lack of blood in the crime scene. Perhaps that drill thing has blocked the blood from flowing out?

The lack of a sign of struggle is suspicious as well - I don't think people would normally let someone drill through their foreheads without a fight, especially Eve who knows some martial arts. While the victims have their eyes open (which would rule out the use of sleeping drugs), perhaps the murderer has something that can render people immobile for his/her job?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The last picture is golden. :haw:

That aside, I think it is not impossible for someone to fake a six-toed corpse. The gene for polydactyly is dominant, so each of Kinzo's offspring has a 50% chance of having that condition, which isn't a bad chance at all.

The demon drill thing may actually be shot from a crossbow, by the way. It makes more sense than to actually stab people with it and allows Kanon to pull it away without seeing the culprit.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Just noticed an interesting point: Kanon dropped a hatchet during his confrontation with Beatrice(?), yet Battler did not mention that after he arrived and had a look at the crime scene. It could be a hint that one of the viewpoints is unreliable.

Rodyle posted:

Plenty of time.

For this episode though, we are left with only three more murders before the witch awakes(?) and kill everyone else (with the possible exception of Battler).

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
System-0 is truly superb. By the way, I think you may want to remove the sentence before the image in this part:

quote:

In other words, it's as though this is a joint message from Beatrice and Grandfather...telling us that Beatrice will start collecting interest if we don't solve the riddle.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I bet the next victim would be Genji considering that

1. Battler's group is probably safe;
2. Maria and Nanjo are needed to examine the magic circle and the body's condition, respectively; and
3. Kumasawa has had less air time than Genji.

Omniphile posted:

Though, now that just gives her license to rendezvous with Kinzo 'Beatrice'.

You are now giving me terrifying :pedo:-related thoughts.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
There are two more suspicious points for the murders:

Eva was wearing shoes while lying on the bed in the crime scene. This strongly suggests that she was killed somewhere else and moved to the bed after death.

Kanon held a hatchet during his confrontation with "Beatrice" and dropped it afterwards, yet nobody noticed or remarked about it when it switches to Battler's viewpoint. Somebody must have disposed of it before Battler came in.

My current guess is that "Beatrice" is a progeny of the original Beatrice disguised as one of the 18, most likely one of the servents. While I originally doubt that it would work, Natsuhi said that there are more servants than usual, which would be the perfect chance for an impersonator to sneak in.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Actually it doesn't prove anything since it's still possible that it's someone of the first 6 disguised. You're drawing the opposite conclusion you should be.
Anyone with a gorged face would be suspect actually.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Vyxzuw posted:

What's weird about picking only one of the 4 treasures, is why didn't they pick the resurrection of everyone? That was an option, why did they each pick only one?

I think Battler picks resurrecting everyone which leads to all the other episodes.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
On the other hand, all we know about Natsuhi is that she read a letter (which we don't get to read) and shot herself afterwards. The confrontation can all be in her mind and it is the letter which drove her to commit suicide.

I wonder how will the tea party change the whole thing. If everybody is revived, wouldn't it be conclusive evidence that a witch exists and Battler should give up there and then?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

Maybe the witch thing is a red herring and the real objective is to loop until they follow the epithet, find the gold, and manage to save everyone. :unsmith: Battler can still acknowledge Beatrice exists while claiming it was one of the 18 was responsible for the murders, as much as he doesn't want to.

That is not necessary though. Consider the arguments of Beatrice and Battler:

Beatrice: A 19th person, who is also a witch, murdered everybody
Battler: There is no 19th person. One of the 18 persons, who is not a witch, murdered everyone else

However, "there is (not) a 19th person" and "the culprit is (not) a witch" are separate statements, so there are other possibilities such as:

1. A 19th person, who is not a witch, murdered everybody
2. One of the 18 persons is a witch and murdered everybody magically
3. There is a 19th person who is a witch, but the culprit is one of the 18 who murdered everyone with non-magic means

and so on.

Alternative 1 is not as impossible as it seems; with such a dysfunctional family, it is quite possible that there is a family member who get locked up like the eponymous character in Ayako. This can also explain the strange happenings as told by the servants.

EDIT: Didn't notice the new update. I wonder how would the arguments work.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 15, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LeeDless posted:

Glad I can finally post this. :)
This is definitely the face of a troll. :)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

I thought a chessboard always had the lower right corner be white?

Turn the chessboard, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Oh, now we have a third personification of :geno: in the game. How interesting. :geno:

But you make me check this thread before the Dangan Ronpa 2 LP, so kudos to you successfully hooking me in.

• Locked thread