Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't have any idea what the hell is going on. I've been away from the thread for a while now, but it almost sounds like we've got a reverse Freddy vs. Jason thing going on, where if Freddy (Beatrice) convinces enough people that she might very well be real, she comes into existence?

Sort of. Everybody has to believe in her for her magic to work. Well, that's what she and Maria say anyway.

Doesn't Beatrice already 'exist', after all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh boy, Umineko anime. Basically what happened was that DEEN took the story and sucked the life out of it. Not completely unlike what happened with Game of Thrones: they had to condense a huge amount of text into a few episodes and still managed to emphasise the wrong parts.

Getting into any kind of detail is impossible because of spoilers, but the most glaring mistake that the anime did was the personalities of a few of the people, most notably Battler. To the point where it would be difficult to imagine the anime Battler from the last aired episode (novel EP4 ending) acting like the novel Battler does in what would be the next episode (novel EP5). The last episode aired on Christmas Eve, and it was the culmination of everything that DEEN did it wrong. Anyone who had read the novels still watching it that point was doing so out some kind of masochism or other. I remember wanting to see just how bad it could still get.

The anime is good for nothing but the ending theme and a bunch of funny screenshots.

e: also yeah I'm bitter

tiistai fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 22, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

lotus circle posted:

Don't forget the episode previews, where different characters talked over the clip show of the next episode with hilariously out of place dialogue bits. I remember it easily being the best parts (which is probably a bad thing).

Ah yeah, those. They were kind of funny. Ore wa Jakku Bauaa.

The anime had some wonderful voice actors, but even they couldn't really salvage the terrible dialogue.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh goody. I've read a lot of the TIPS already but never bothered with Tsubasa and Hane.

Most of the kanji in the sideblurb is too drat small for me to make any sense of. The first line is pretty much "Gohda has become an exclusive cook in Rokkenjima." Can't read the second and can't bother to find out.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

So as to not distract from the upcoming update...

The translation on that TIPS section wasn't done by the same people as the main game, was it?

Right. The TIPS were translated by various people, not all of whom had anything to do with Witch Hunt.

edit: That particular one was translated by a former WH staff member, theacefrehley. He's Brazilian.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 4, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Shiny777 posted:

this one plus maybe the next 4 or 5?

It's been a long while since I read any of these, but I hadn't remembered the beginning to be that slow. Anyhow, I think it'll indeed be chair love instead of economics this time.

All the episodes (1-4 at least) are great in their own special way and this is no exception, I can't really put them in any real order of preference.

and yeah George's PS3 sprites aren't nearly fat enough

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xoidanor posted:

Will he stop being so? :ohdear:

Can't offer you answers, only patience. EP2 will eventually tell you what's the main deal with Umineko.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the Date with George Shannon appeared to have decided to take Beatrice's deal. Meaning she is responsible for everything.

From the date, yeah, and the part after that where she shatters a mirror from a torii.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Insurrectionist posted:

I'd say the opening to the second episode is Umineko's weakest from a sheer engagement-standpoint. The first episode needed to introduce the characters, and had the benefit of the reader not going through the actual murders yet. Once you're through episode 1, all you want to do is find out more about what's going on, and see some more action/cool character moments/more awesome music, and instead it's just boring romance exposition in scene after scene. The openings to later episodes never really comes close to the drudgery here as far as I remember, and episode 2 also has a particularly large amount of text dedicated to it.

I can't remember if we're ready to actually get on with things yet, but hopefully it'll be soon at least.

It really isn't particularly interesting, but I hope no one makes the mistake of assuming Episode 2 so far is not important in the grand scheme. Plenty of later recurring stuff was just introduced.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh boy here we go.

All I really have to say is that Fortitude is an amazing track.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh yes, actual speculation. Wonderful.

Jackster posted:

Rosa-culprit could actually work in the first episode! She was one of the people who was found dead during the first epitaph and it's possible that she somehow faked her death. That way, she could easily just run around killing people.

Okay, then what was Rosa's body in the shed?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Dr Pepper posted:

Well we saw a body wearing Rosa's clothing, but the face was smashed up, so we can't tell if it's really Rosa. :v:

I didn't want to be too direct. :v:

xxlicious posted:

If she was accomplices with someone already living on the island though, they could've killed someone in secret and had the corpse prepared beforehand.

That would mean that Kinzo, all the servants, Krauss, Natsuhi and Jessica (and perhaps Nanjo) are on the possible accomplice list. If they killed "someone" on the island, there's really no other choice for the corpse than some unknown-to-us servant who wasn't on duty on the 4th, because nobody else comes there.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

blankd posted:

Or Rosa could have just faked her death and Nanjo is the accomplice since he was the only one that really checked the shed bodies. :v: (Right??)

I'd bet on Nanjo being the accomplice because he's alive for fairly long in the 1st round.

That could work, but at least Hideyoshi was inside the shed too. Dunno about Eva and Natsuhi.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The game is afoot! :allears:

Soon-ish, at least.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

whitehelm posted:

She doesn't really have many options living on a deserted island.

She doesn't live there all year round, though. Rokkenjima has plenty of chairs, most of whom aren't even present during this conference since it's not their work shift.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I forget, was this the first time goldenslaughterer played?

It's an amazing track nonetheless.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I just can't get enough of ahaha.wav.

As much fun as EP1's conventional mystery is, this is pretty much where the series starts. Well, this and the next update.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Beatrice is the one who wants them to keep playing her magical murder chess. If she were caught lying in red, Battler would no longer have any reason to trust her or the game.

Besides, she's obviously too classy for such low moves anyway :smug:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Artificer posted:

Jesus. How long is this VN in total?

Not quite as long as the Harry Potter series, I think.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

And a really basic question here: Are we supposed to solve all murders for all four episodes in order to "beat" the game?

Not necessarily. To be honest, some people are still arguing about how exactly some of the mysteries actually went down. Solving the murders isn't really required to figure out the overarching plot of "why is this happening", but it does help in understanding who's who and what role they play.

There's also the meta side of this stuff to consider, but maybe it's better to worry about that after EP2 is done at least.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Shinji117 posted:

Given the length of the whole thing and the average update speed it'll be quite a while

Well, since you brought it up... the thread started Aug 3, 2012, so on average you could say we're getting about an episode per year.

Umineko was released twice a year :colbert:

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but yeah, if you're really interested you might be better off getting the VN yourself. EP4 includes 1-4 and EP8 includes 5-8.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This scene was already one of my favorites, but oh man, the voice acting made it even better than I remembered :allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

InfiniteJesters posted:

(WARNING: Contains semi-spoilers.)

Not even semi. It has every background and character sprite ever.

Well, without any context I guess it's impossible to make deductions from them, but still.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Silly danganronpas ain't got poo poo on Beatrice-flavored despair. And we haven't even started yet :allears:

Mystery-wise there's been a bunch of good clues already in this episode. I'd love to see a little speculation if there's still unspoiled people reading. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

On a second thought, Rosa did not bother to collect the chapel key when she took the master keys. Do you think it would be important to the case?

I think it's been in Rosa's possession ever since she took it from Maria's envelope.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Zack Ater posted:

Even a few months later, the whole red text thing still bugs me. I accept that it's a rule to facilitate a game, like chess pieces being arbitrarily limited in how they can move. But I've been thinking a bit about a recent argument I was in, and worked my way to a topic possibly related to Umineko - the red text has been established to only be used to tell the truth, but has the VN or the thread ever addressed whether this is only for objective truth, or if subjective truth works fine, too?

This is an excellent question.

But no, the VN hasn't directly addressed the exact nature of red text yet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

KamikazePotato posted:

I think overall people list Episode 2 as their least favorite of the original four, but I still really like it to this day.

I think EP2 is like Ace Attorney 2, sandwiched by overall better entries in the series but with perhaps the best ending.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

Thanks to the chess scene, we know that "Beatrice" can't be Kinzo or Genji.

Yeah I dunno about you but I don't think glowing golden butterflies are actually real.

Bholder posted:

Also just because of this scene she became playable in the fighting game, with all the moves we've seen, gunplay, Maria reloading, using goldbars and pens.
Too bad I cannot post videos due to spoilers.

Speaking of other videogames, there's a sidescrolling flash game called Rosa Musou, similar to the NES game Kung Fu.

If I remember correct it's got at least EP4 spoilers though.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 1, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

EDIT: Do you think there is a typo in this picture? Why is Rosa's name in quotation marks unlike the others?

If I remember correctly it's the translators' way of transcribing Japanese quotation marks 「like these」. The same thing often happens when people, particularly Maria, exclaim that witches 'exist'. The VN engine doesn't allow for stuff like bold and italics, so it seems to be used for emphasis of some ambiguous (magical?!) kind. Pretty sure it's not meant to be read :airquote: like this :airquote:.

KamikazePotato posted:

I think the author of the series said everything isn't 100% solvable until the end of Episode 4, but it's still a very good idea to start forming theories at this point. Just don't get too attached to pet theories like someone already said.

I'm not sure I would say everything is 100% solvable even after the series ended, but yeah. A good chunk of clues about the mastermind and their motivations has been given already, plus each gameboard is solvable on their own.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

So we should, in theory, be able to solve all murders that has occurred if we would just read more carefully?

And since the murder method/location/victim differs from episode to episode, can we still assume that the mastermind is always the same person in each episode?

In theory, yes. The previous episodes become easier to solve once you read more, but technically the gameboards are all self-contained.

Can't tell you anything other than that Beatrice is obviously the mastermind in each episode :)

Rodyle posted:

My honest suggestion is to not bother trying to solve things, just accept events as they happen. Especially in the second half.

You and the other people who refused to think are the reason R07 had to drop the super-hard EP3 (Land of the Golden Witch) and give us the easier Banquet instead :colbert:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

yukkuri shiteitte ne

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'd prefer not to comment (out of fear that people would take it as spoilers) but since you're technically wrong with a couple of things here...

Jeek posted:

Third murder: Kanon was killed by stake in the chest and Battler has seen his corpse.

"Natsuhi realized that even though Kanon was on the verge of death, he was still conscious, so she sent Genji to get the doctor."
"Doctor Nanjo and George-aniki carried Kanon-kun to the servant room. [...] Kumasawa-san and Jessica accompanied them."
"Judging by the large amount of blood lost and the ruthless shape of the weapon that had fallen carelessly to the ground, ...I figured that Doctor Nanjo's treatment would probably end in vain..."
"However, at the time we carried Kanon here, it was already...too late." If Battler's now counting himself as one of the "we", it would seem to contradict his earlier narration, but whatever.
"Jessica was crouched in the corridor, crying in anguish. She had probably been taking care of Kanon until the moment of his death."

Jeek posted:

Fourth murder: George, Gohda and Shannon were killed with stakes fully stuck in the vital regions of their bodies.

"Nearby, in the sea of blood [Shannon] lay in, a demon's stake had fallen..."
"There was a gaping hole in Shannon-chan's head, and her insides were dripping out. Not only that, ...you could even see, ...inside her."
This is kinda minor, but yeah, while I wouldn't say the stake was fully stuck she's pretty clearly dead.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Besides, Lambdadelta sounds better.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Eva had a hard life.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The best piece of furniture is here :allears:

All that bodybuilding must really have messed up Battler's memory, goddamn.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CottonWolf posted:

I like the way that the preamble seems to decrease in length with each chapter. Though maybe that's just me post-hoc justifying how slow the starts to the first and second chapters were.

It's true, though. There's significantly less stuff to set up now. EP1 had to introduce the characters, their basic motivations, the setting and the plot. EP2 provided backstory and context, especially into the cousins' relationships with their parents, selves and chairs, as well as elaborated upon the themes of the whole work. Now R07 can just jump pretty much straight into establishing the plot of the current episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Darn, forgot to wish happy Halloween for Maria.

• Locked thread