Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Mathematicians preferences;

'77 George Brett
'01 Chipper Jones
'65 Harmon Killebrew
'22 Pete Alexander
'08 Johan Santana
'07 Joey Votto
'67 Tom Seaver
'86 Dwight Evans
'75 Dwight Evans
'75 Fred Lynn (but not if I got Brett or Jones)

then BPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Ok, updates lineups now that everyone (bar Lincecum) is back.

Against LHP:

LF Zack Wheat
SS Arky Vaughan
1B Jack Clark '82
RF Chuck Klein
2B Joe Morgan
3B Bob Elliott
C Buster Posey
CF Carlos Beltran
DH Jack Clark '85

Against RHP:

LF Zack Wheat
SS Arky Vaughan
1B Miguel Cabrera
RF Chuck Klein
2B Joe Morgan
3B Bob Eliott
C Buster Posey
CF Carlos Beltran
DH Jose Canseco

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I suppose i'd better join in and offer the Jack Clark of your choice from my two. Not as good this season so far as cbx's offer, but they can also play RF if that's of use to you.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Likewise, really. Votto and a backup SS? Yes, please.

\/ Speaking of, the feeder teams list for the Mathematicians in the second post isn't correct. The last post on the page has the right teams.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 11, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

mrnoun posted:

1992 Kansas City Royals(72-90, 5th in AL West)
Why Would I Want These Losers? One of these Mike Boddickers is bound to be good in the Super League, it's the law of averages!

1999 Kansas City Royals (64-97, 4th in AL Central)
Why Would I Want These Losers? You read the above and thought to yourself, "Heh, that can't happen to me! I've got Jeff Suppan and Jay Witasick!" Also, Carlos Beltran doesn't suck.
I have the '97 Royals, so there's some issue there. Not that it really matters at the one point end of things.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Romo is simultaneously inspiring and horrifying. It's like he and Lincecum got together before the season and decided they'd go for a good ERA averaged between them.

Ok, Plan C for Canseco is not working. Hopefully this is an issue solveable through the draft, but until then my next best bat to try is..... Sandoval? Really? Well, ok then. Sandoval to 3B, Elliott to CF, and Beltran can DH against lefties righties, sorry.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 14, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Well, I suppose this is where things improve a bit or I gently caress up my team beyond all hope. Mathematicians' changes;

Votto's going in the lineup and Furcal to the minors for now, so let's put I guess Sweeney in AAA to make room.

Against LHP;

LF Zack Wheat
2B Joe Morgan
DH Jack Clark '85
RF Chuck Klein
1B Jack Clark '82
CF Bob Elliott
SS Arky Vaughan
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval

Against RHP:

LF Zack Wheat
2B Joe Morgan
DH Miguel Cabrera
RF Chuck Klein
1B Joey Votto
CF Bob Elliott
SS Arky Vaughan
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval

Which means that I have a whole 1 Carlos Beltran currently surplus to requirements. He's a useful option for me still, though, so lowballers need not apply.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

gingemidget posted:

Shawkey to the DL, Matlack to SP2, Vance to SP5 (go back to the five-man rotation), Kern up to "long relief" hopefully never to be used, myself to the first round of the Gauntlet.

Anyone selling SP right now? One more injury and I no longer have a rotation, so I'm kind of desperate.
How desperate? I have '97 Kevin Appier, basically his last really good year. Also any number of bargain basement pitchers if you're looking more for affordability than skill.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
No games yet for Votto, but at the least that isn't a rating i'm going to complain about. Fingers crossed, of course.

Stick Beltran in at RF for Klein for a few games but only 'till Klein's rested up. I don't really want to do much to the team right now in fear of mucking it up.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

If only I could start Romo and ship Lincecum off to relief. As it is my best pitcher is Babe Adams, which if nothing else is a good lesson for new owners on the overall ratings not being everything. Oh well.

Klein back in at RF for Beltran, also, as much as it pains me, Sweeney in for Posey. With things as they are young Sweeney is apparently a better catcher, which is demoralising to say the least.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 18, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
^I'll idly offer you Wilbur Cooper, though i'm not sure he's quite what you're looking for. However, he's up and avaliable for anyone else, as I need a 3B who knows how to defend.

It's going to be a close one, it looks like. Of course now having said that my luck with injuries is going to come to an end, Romo will start averaging out and Lincecum, having flirted with the idea of a below 5.00 ERA, will walk arm first into a door.

Sweeney out for Posey, hoping permanently and Posey will recover some form. I am optimistic! Klein out for Beltran, Morgan out for Gordon to give them a chance to rest up.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Slowly dropping out of the safe zone. This upcoming month of games probably isn't going to help.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

I guess I need "better than Rick Reuschel," which is not a terribly high bar, but he's worth more than Ed Summers. tatankatonk, I don't need any outfielders, and the ephemeral Buddy Bell isn't for me, either. Senerio, Red Faber and something else would be competitive, but you know he's out for the year, yes?
Would you be interested in Wilbur Cooper? Another lefty to add to your pile. I have some other pieces, both deadball and modern, but they're frankly a noticeable drop in ability.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Klein back in at RF, Morgan back in at 2B, fingers crossed. Quite pleased with Babe Adams there; presumably he'd be putting up some even better numbers if my infield defense was as good as my outfield. Though it says something about my pitching in general that a just-sub-3.00 ERA is a good thing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

So here's a terrible decision. Mogul thinks Furcal can play 3B, so, platoon him with Sandoval there. Furcal vs lefties, Sandoval vs righties. Clearly, going into a season-deciding series means I should be tinkering foolhardedly with my team.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

But they're both switch-hitters. This plan makes no sense at all.
The loose idea is that if it should turn out that Furcal is horrendously terrible (in comparison, anyway), he won't get as much opportunity to be terrible. Really I could've just platooned either way, but eh, they each still have some minor favouring.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

No Furcal, then!

On the other hand, until I can start butchering Sweeney for parts to replace Posey's breakages, let's do the next best thing and have him actually play for a while so Squire Bustron can lie down for a week.

A nine game lead in nine weeks is totally surmountable. Mount away, guys.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Playing for safety at this point, basically. Regretting not taking that Posey for Ivan Rodriguez deal I got offered. Oh well! Posey can go back in now. If we do avoid the Gauntlet, everyone gets honorary knighthoods except him.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Oxbridge Mathematicians
Chuck Klein (RF) (Tried black pudding) - 7 days

Beltran in for Klein. That's the streak of non-injuries since Vaughan broken, but a week off isn't terrible.

That said, nothing wrong with a nice black pudding. Of course, I also like haggis, so.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

One of my players also fell ill a while back for the same reason. Maybe the Yanks don't like a proper Full English?
I'm honest-to-god quite hungry for a Full English now.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Planning on holding onto that safe spot with both fists.

Posey out for Sweeney for the week. I think at this point that's a given.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no, not DiMaggio!

Posey back in, Klein back in at RF. Really should've got Klein back for last week but I forgot about it.

Edit: I should probably vote, too. I'm just going to go with whichever methods cause the least issue for Smasher (and future EC runners). The teams do seem unbalanced, but I can't really think of a good way to redress that without eliminating that imbalance too much.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The Maths bid;

'11 Pablo Sandoval for '85 Wade Boggs.

'19 Wilbur Cooper for '66 Steve Carlton.

'11 Ramon Ramirez for '86 Jesse Orosco.
'11 Jeremy Affeldt for '78 Tug McGraw.

And hey, no bids on him yet, so '99 Fred McGriff and Jose Canseco for '98 Ivan Rodriguez.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Maths bid one of my two remaining ratings challenges on '11 Larry Gardner.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Before I forget again, Posey out, Sweeney in. This is the mantra.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

The Goog posted:

He has a .512 OPS (.232 OBP, .280 SLG). That's so bad that I don't know how to properly explain to you how bad it is, because I can't think of anyone who was that bad.
:(

A Joe Exchange; Gordon in for Morgan. Really, Joe Morgan? Tired now, when it most matters? Also Posey back in because he's still my best option.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

BrooklynBruiser posted:

When I get home from work, I'll do a comprehensive list of players being bid.
I misread that as players being "bad". Although I suppose in this case that's almost entirely the same thing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Thought i'd posted, but in checking I haven't. Morgan back in for Gordon, please.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Safety position means I don't have much to do but enjoy the playoffs/Gauntlet. So thanks, various owners and Smasher, for all the advice this season. The Maths certainly wouldn't have done so well without it.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

Expansion Cup Owners!
I want your draft picks, so hit me up with what you'd like in return and let's get to trading!
Likewise. I still have a prime Wilbur Cooper for all you new owners looking to get some good lefty pitching.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Want to trade me Beltran for something? Maybe Cuyler? He did well last season for me.

Edit: Let's make this an offer

:siren: 1930's Kiki Cuyler for whatever Beltran you have. He's never going to put up Beltran's power numbers, but he hits for average, gets on base and can steal some bases, and has somehting resembling a plus glove.

He's a defensive sub for gold glover Larry Walker who's blocking him in RF.
I've got a Beltran you could have for Cuyler if oldskool isn't interested.

\/ 2011.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 30, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Past trade question; did anyone get Rip Sewell from me? I recall certainly him being offered for/me offering him, but I don't have it written down who ended up with him, if indeed anyone did.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

mks5000 posted:

Sorry, Smasher scared me off Shoeless Joe for good.
Hey, i've got a Spud Davis. Would you take him and Carlos Beltran for the same Jeter/pick deal?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Super-League VIII Roster:

Lineup vs. LHP

LF Zack Wheat '11
2B Joe Morgan '75
DH Jack Clark '85
RF Chuck Klein '36
1B Jack Clark '82
CF Bob Elliott '40
SS Arky Vaughan '40
C Buster Posey '11
3B Buddy Bell '83

vs. RHP

LF Zack Wheat '11
2B Joe Morgan '75
DH Miguel Cabrera '04
RF Chuck Klein '36
1B Joey Votto '07
CF Bob Elliott '40
SS Arky Vaughan '40
C Buster Posey '11
3B Wade Boggs '97

Bench
Platooned players plus
Carlos Beltran '11
Ivan Rodriguez '98

Rotation:

Tim Lincecum '11
Madison Bumgarner '11
Babe Adams '19
Matt Cain '11
Josh Beckett '11

Ivan Rodriguez is personal catcher for Babe Adams.

Bullpen:

CL Sergio Romo '11
SU Pat Dobson '68
SR Brian Wilson '11
SR Rudy Seanez '04
MR Gregg Olson '97
LR Wilbur Cooper '19

Minors:
Mike Sweeney '97
Rafael Furcal '01
Joe Gordon '75
Pablo Sandoval '11
Brandon Belt '11
Ryan Vogelsong '11
Johnny Damon '97

Home Park: The Quadrangle (Dimensionally equivalent to Citi Field), Milton Keynes, UK.

Strategy;

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: 1
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: +2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +2
Bringing the Infield In: -1
Guarding the Lines: -2
Making Cutoff Throws: -2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -2
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -2
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -1

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 12, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

CraigK posted:

Mashers pick Bernie Williams, '98

You're up, Revenant Threshold.
Well, that moved faster than I expected. I'm only just awake. Could I get '83 Buddy Bell?

On the plus side, TV Champions! This will last forever, i'm sure. Though winning based on being the team that lost to the Cultists slightly less than everyone else seems like an omen.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I've updated mine to finality on page 77.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Ah, the shame of being beaten in a series by an expansion team in the first update.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Voting A. Mark Grace doesn't ignore a ringing phone. Even if it were in someone else's house.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
In accordance with Goon-related bandwagoning statues, C.

Also, drat, those are a few bad rolls on some of my guys there. That's what I get for running a lot of young guys, I guess. I think I do have replacements if need be (though losing that Cabrera that rolled 93/100 or something like that hurts), but eh, can't really judge on just the first week. Besides, i'm pretty sure that Posey figure is an accurate figure for how he did last time out.

Also as a side note; I don't have McGriff any more. He was part of the trade that got me Rodriguez. I can just not play him, but it's best he get future endeavoured just on the off-chance Mogul decides he'd better get some playing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going to have to go for C. This is an alternate universe, but unless the very fundamental nature of humans has been altered, there's no chance that Pepsi would do something successful. Ergo, in Earth-2, Crystal Pepsi is New Coke.