Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Greetings, thread!

I have a ware I would like to peddle.

First, I have Larry Walker. This stud can play CF OK, but he's a capable corner outfielder who will get on base around 36% of the time.

For reference:

SLIII: .319 AVG, .418 OBP
SLIV: .274 AVG, .343 OBP
ECV: .267 AVG, .348 OBP

The only reason I'm not using him in the league right now is because of an injury (and now I've replaced him with Mel Ott).

What am I looking for?

I don't really know. I need a better bullpen or a top-flight 2B. My team is underperforming as a whole right now but it'd be hard to replace anyone. I guess I'd also consider a DH.

Please let me know if you're interested! I'm willing to part with basically anyone because I like to trade. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

gingemidget posted:

Listening to Marauder will probably screw me over at some point, but I'm willing to go with his "'04 Nomar can't play short" thesis. Rejected.

no probably, it's a guarantee

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Both wrong.

There shouldn't be two gauntlets.

Take every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the Super League and every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the EL and throw them in a SUPERGAUNTLET. 16 teams from the SuperLeague, 12 teams from the Expansion Cup, two 50-game seasons (with owner input at the 50-game mark), top 14 make it to the show.

Not only does this cut a SIGNIFICANT amount of work out for you (you only have 2 gauntlet rounds!), it ensures that every team gets a full-ish season of "for real" play. Make it SL6.5 or whatever.

If you want to make it even jazzier, you can have a relegation draft afterwards. The worst teams after the first 50-game season is dispersed and drafted among the participants in the supergauntlet, to strengthen them for SLVII should the time come.

For example

Teams a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n from SLVI
Teams A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J from ECVI

50 game gauntlet #1
order: C,a,d,c,E,H,l,A,b,B,n,F,i,g,I,j,f,D,H,G,m,e,h,k,J

J and k dispersed among remaining 22 remaining teams

50 game gauntlet #2
order: d,H,C,a,e,h,m,G,F,c,E,A,l,n

14 teams advance

bottom 2 teams in second gauntlet form dispersal class for SLVII

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so, it'll still be a couple of days before the Expansion Cup is ready to start. In the meantime, why not take the Official Super-League Personality Test that, for all you know, is very important to league operations and definitely just something to keep the thread busy for a bit!

Let's begin!

Question 1

I want my team...

e)To ascend to demigod-hood.

Question 2

The core of a successful Super-League team is...

e)The whims and caprice of an a flippant commissioner.

Question 3

Your team is middling. But, if you take a certain risk, it may become a contender, or may be relegated after the season. If you do nothing, your team will probably survive, but certainly won't win a championship. Do you...

A. Take the risk! Death or glory!

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

e) As a child, I once sat at the foot of a river, prodding the waters with my stick. A wandering monk took note of this and walked over. He asked me what I was doing so close to the river.

"I'm moving the leaves in the water." I said.

"Look closer. What are you really doing?"

"The leaves of the river must move around my stick." I replied.

"You may move the leaf, but the river flows but one way. If the leaf ends up at the mouth of river anyway, did you move it really?"

Then the monk pushed me into the river.

The monk was Marauder.

Question 5

The thesis of Moneyball is that it is incumbent on ballclubs to forever seek out market inefficiencies in order to give their team the best return on investment. What is the greatest market inefficiency in the Super-League today?

e) SuccessfulStudent.

Question 6

My team sucks. What the gently caress went wrong?

B. It's just bad luck. (that Smasher is out to get me)

Question 7

The best player of all time was...

E. Adam Greenberg

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

e) White, and it serves sliders all day.

Question 9

The biggest Hall of Fame Snub is...

D. That it took Ron Santo's loving death to get him in the Hall, jesus christ what the gently caress is wrong with you people

Question 10

The best sci-fi franchise is...

E. Heroes (with a Glee gang tag)

Question 11

Should Chicago forgive Steve Bartman?

C. You're totally going to kill all of teams that picked 'yes', aren't you?

Question 12

If the Sun is one, and the Moon is two, then what is the Earth?

e) 32.1% iron, 30.1% oxygen, 15.1% silicon, 13.9% magnesium, 2.9% sulfur, 1.8% nickel, 1.5% calcium, 1.4% aluminium, trace.

Question 13

Will the new season of Community suck?

e) Wouldn't know never seen it.

Question 14

Out of all of the idiotic characters Smasher has created, the one I'd want most on my team is...

D. Is death an option? It is? Then I'll choose death.

Question 15

What was the point of this?

e)What is the sound of a prayer unuttered?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
A trade!

Unspecifieds receive:

'58 Whitey Ford

Juggernauts receive:

'97 Chuck Knoblauch

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I would love to join the Old Boys Club faction as the 5th member, and I think we should play for more than what you've currently proposed.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I think I have more wins than the Skyhawks (399 to 384). Did I add wrong?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, after careful consideration, I've decided that the tensions between the old guard and the new corporate owners must be resolved the only way I can think of...outright war.

Whichever block of four teams has the higher collective winning percentage at the end of the next season will all automatically survive to the next Super-League. As for the losers, they will form the first round of next season's Gauntlet, guaranteeing at least two of them are relegated.

The two teams are:

Marauder's Marauders
Florida Oranges
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Juneau Juggernauts
Luna Landers

Superstars, LLC
Great Googly-Mooglies
Portland Bulldogs
Rated R Superstars
Ryleh Cultists

Interesting.

The die has been cast.

I should note that there is almost no upside (not that I care), because the stable with the higher winning percentage is just really likely to already evade the gauntlet. Oh well!

I hope there are no objections to A Tribe Called Quest being the official band of Marauder's Marauders. It just makes sense, you know?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I told you this right at the start....

I know, but it somehow makes it better.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm willing to lend out players to anyone in the mini-gauntlet that ISN'T from the opposing stable.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Senerio posted:

Dropping out of this.
Risk isn't worth one player.

Taking his spot.

C: Spudsworth Davis
1B: James Foxx
2B: Charles Knoblauch
SS: Robin Yount
3B: Meldred Ott
LF: Carlton Yastrzemski
CF: Hackington Wilson
RF: Timothy Salmon
DH: Wadensforth Boggs

C: Halibut Smith
3B: Brooks Robinson
CF: Giuseppe DiMaggio
2B: Chipper Doyle
1B: Joseph Cunningham

SP: Randall Johnson
SP: Joseph Wood
SP: Steven Carlton
SP: Thomas Glavine
SP: Zachary Greinke
CL: Johnathan Smoltz
SU: David Righetti
SR: Troywise Pervical
SR: Norm Charlton
MR: Michael Flanagan
LR: Dennys Martinez

factorialite fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 19, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

gently caress it. Someone else try and figure out which two teams deserve to die.

Any team with more than 1 owner

That way they can share the sadness

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, I guess there is one other way to handle this. We go to 32 teams, in two separate save game files, one for each league. I guess that's doable if Cthulhu can get me a script for 16 teams.

Or two teams challenge me in a loser-goes-home best of 7 deathmatch

That could work too

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
8 divisions.

What will the 2 new divisions be named?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Mark Bellhorn Division
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Great Googly-Mooglies
Juneau Juggernauts
Norfolk Splinter Cells

Could you make a more monstrous division?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
What will it take to get Slim Love

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
K-Rod and Venters for JUN Jason Kendall.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Somehow we lost 80% of readers with the move to the new thread. gently caress.

Smasher League Injury Report

We have a new Televsion Champion and I am very, very, very, very, very unhappy about it.

Cologne Emperors
Kiki Calero (RP) (Einigkreit und recht und broken finger!) - 13 days

Idaho Potatoes
Jered Weaver (SP) (I didn't rig this. If I were rigging injuries, Josh Gibson's knees would have exploded into tiny, little bits. Some day, Gibson...some day your pretty little knees are going to pay for Golden Tate's sins. Some day soon.) - 108 days

Juneau Juggernauts
Joe Wood (SP) (Frostbite!) - 8 days

Madison Mudholes
Kevin Brown (SP) (Madison, right? Probably got sideswiped by a frat bro from Wisconsin or something) - 11 days

Are you going to do those title history things? They were pretty cool.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Switch Ott and Boggs, also gently caress this stupid thread

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

There will be an update tonight, it'll just be a later.

Your 3 readers must be waiting with bated breath

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Not to rush any of you, but time does keep marching on...

Smasher League Week 6 Injury Report

No new Champions

Two things:

1. The Mudholes have somehow come back to life, meaning that they'll want to make that trade sooner rather that later, as there's a decent chance they'll knock themselves out of the top draft spot if they keep this up.

2. cbx seems to think that his team's relative struggles are due to a mis-entered lineup. I personally have another theory, you see...no, I'll let him explain it:

: Hello, old friend, it is I, Mike Boddicker. You know, it takes a certain amount of courage to make me your #4 starter in the Super-League. Others will laugh at you, call you names, mock you endlessly. In fact, when Smasher Dynamo writes your obit, and, it's fair to say that this is inevitable when I am starting for your team, I would expect several paragraphs describing the sheer extent of the damage I did to your team. But you ignore all of that, and start my regardless, and for that, I salute you!

Cologne Emperors
Martin Dihigo (SP) (Fractured Skull) - 63 days
Matt Mantei (RP) (Broken Hand from punching some sort of skull-shaped object) - 21 days

Juneau Juggernauts
Eddie Watt (RP) (Tainted Fresca) - Out for Season

Since I literally do not give a poo poo at this point, let's have him pitch through the pain.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Ott to RF, DiMaggio to DH, Salmon to bench.

That challenge is a lot of words for basically "falls within the margin of error so I don't know why I'm complaining," but since he's in my faction, I agree with him, or against him if that improves his case.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 8, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Are we done with challenges yet? If not, I'm going to make some.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Revenant Threshold posted:

Everyone else; i'm in the market for a backup catcher. Extra bonus points if he can also play SS, if that's even possible of a decent player.

Ahh, the elusive C/SS combination. I wonder why you don't see that more often?

For reference, only one player had 30 starts at both catcher and shortstop in the same season. Whoever it was (I'm too miserly to pay for B-R), he OPS+'ed 79 that year. Suffice to say, he's not the player you're looking for.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 8, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Cultists Challenge for 1982 Paul Molitor

Sandberg and Cuyler as collateral

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Can I trade my draft picks to your for those players, which you can then ante up? If you win, we can trade back. If not, tough: you lost anyway, what do you care?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Smasher League

Catchers
Pick One
[ ] Josh Gibson (Potatoes) (.272/.335/.521, 10 HRs 0.5 WAR)

First Basemen
Pick One
[ ] Willie McCovey (Potatoes) (.269/.369/.599, 14 HRs 1.3 WAR)

Second Basemen
Pick One
[ ] Lou Whitaker (Eazy W's) (.308/.386/.505, 8 HRs 3.6 WAR)

Third Basemen
Pick One
[ ] Wade Boggs (Juggernauts) (.387/.437/.495, 1 HRs 1.6 WAR)

Shortstops
Pick One
[ ] Derek Jeter (Bobbleheads) (.341/.382/.453, 4 HRs 0.5 WAR)

Left Fielders
Pick One
[ ] Zack Wheat (Mathematicians) (.345/.416/.483, 2 HRs 2.3 WAR)

Center Fielders
Pick One
[ ] Joe DiMaggio (Landers) (.399/.473/.632, 7 HRs 1.8 WAR)

Right Fielders
Pick One
[ ] Ty Cobb (Cells) (.345/.410/.448, 0 HRs 1.3 WAR)

Designated Hitters
Pick One
[ ] Stan Musial (Cultists) (.336/.418/.580, 5 HRs 1.6 WAR)

Manager
Pick One
[ ] factorialite (Juggernauts) (Ha! Come on guys, I loving dare you!)

factorialite fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 9, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Draft Preferences I Have
Mooglies
Superstars
Cultists
Landers
Cells
Daydreamers
Ted Sox
Saints
Oranges
Unspecifieds
Generics
Eazy W's
Emperors
Mathematicians
Losers
Mudholes

Draft Preferences I NEED
Imperialists
Unicorns
Dervishes
Finger-Bangers
Gumshoes
Radbourns
Postmodernists
Bulldogs
Superbas
Bearers
Bobbleheads
Comancheros
Phoenixes
Potatoes
Juggernauts
Goose Eggs

Finley in for Greinke for the next 3 starts. Lets give that turd a chance.

My draft preference is the best pitcher available, always.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I'll echo that sentiment, if anyone wants to sell their Jimmie Foxx's at pennies on the dollar I've got plenty of fungible DH-types just waiting for you

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

I'm not trading Jimmie Foxx for John Olerud, especially not across saves, but I'd do it for Mel Ott and your two.

...wait. Aren't you the Comancheros? I'm really confused now.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

cbx posted:

He's also the lead for the Radbourns.

Just saw that. I'm trying to figure out the year.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
That deal is SO accepted.

Trading an inner circle HOF for an innerer circle HOF.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I DON'T have anywhere to put him, unfortunately. I already have Foxx at 1B, so he basically has to DH for me. That moves DiMaggio into the field, which, I guess?

I can put DiMaggio into a platoon with Wilson, but they both hit lefties better than righties. DiMaggio can't play every day but seems to be rolling favorably while Wilson hasn't. I'm going to platoon them with DiMaggio hitting lefties and Wilson hitting righties for now.
pre:
vs. R
Knobs      2B
Boggs      3B
Foxx       DH
Foxx       1B
Yaz        LF
Yount      SS
Wilson     CF
Justice    RF
Smith       C
pre:
vs. L
Knobs      2B
Boggs      3B
Foxx       DH
Foxx       1B
DiMaggio   CF
Yount      SS
Yaz        LF
Salmon     RF
Smith       C
And remind me if I actually have Brooks Robinson and Larry Walker, please. I'm pretty sure I don't have the latter but fairly sure I have the former.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm thinking of using a ratings challenge on Joe Wood, but I'm wondering why he has so few innings compared to the other starters. Did he get banged up and I'm just not remembering? If so, did it do permanent damage?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I'd rather have Spahn than Richard, thanks.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
1934 giants seem like 5 points to me, but I also suck.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I don't know if you answered, Smasher. Is Joe Wood permanently injured from earlier?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Hey, I'm using a ratings challenge on 1911 Joe Wood.

Here is Joe Wood's 1911 line:

2.02 ERA, 7.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 162 OPS+

Here is Joe Wood's SLVII line:

6.24 ERA, 13.2 K/9, ?? BB/9, ?? OPS+

His K/9 seems incredibly high at first blush, but considering that 7.5 K/9 led the league in 1911 and he was the premier strikeout dude of his era, that might only be a little high. What is less understandable is that while he's striking out more people than he did in the 1910's, his ERA is way higher. I don't precisely buy the argument of poor fielding: in the 1910s, fielding was also quite terrible and while I have poor defense it isn't contributing to 2.5 to 3 more runs per 9 innings. Wood's highest ERA in any season in his career (min. 100 IP) is 2.62: that was towards the end of his career, and my Wood is in his prime.

Wood has always been nails in the Super-League (Randy Johnson less so, so I'm hesitant to challenge his rating), but it's been an appreciable amount of time for him this year and he's been terrible. Even his rating is a 79, which indicates either diminished skills due to injury, the worst luck in history, or a gross underrating. You yourself attested to his health so I'm only left to believe that Wood is either insanely unlucky or misrated by the Mogul engine.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Warren Spahn to the rotation, and I kind of want to put big unit in the setup situation. is this feasible?

actually, lets put wood at su

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

gingemidget posted:

Shawkey to the DL, Matlack to SP2, Vance to SP5 (go back to the five-man rotation), Kern up to "long relief" hopefully never to be used, myself to the first round of the Gauntlet.

Anyone selling SP right now? One more injury and I no longer have a rotation, so I'm kind of desperate.

Brandon Webb? Zack Greinke? Smokey Joe Wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

gingemidget posted:

Not quite that desperate.

Given it's across saves, I might be interested in Wood, what are you looking for? By the same argument, Superstars, what year is that underperforming Wainwright?

I kind of want your Kirby Puckett.