Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm in with the 1948 Boston Braves, 1994 Expos, and the 1993 Rangers.

Expos are taken, by Ned, I'm afraid.

Welcome, new owners! If you find you've a hole in your roster, such as, for instance, the shape of 2002 Still-in-World-Championship-Form Curt Schilling, allow me to be of service! My rates are extremely reasonable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ned posted:

Home City: Fukuoka, Japan

Home Stadium: Yahoo Dome

SP Don Sutton ('82 MIL)

RP Rollie Fingers ('82 MIL)

What.

: Oh, get on with it Smasher! The croaking ramen bowl doth bellow for revenge!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ned posted:

I've been living in Fukuoka for two years now. It's a pretty awesome town.

No argument! It's just that I've been running a team in this League based in Fukuoka, playing on the "smoldering ruins of the Fukuoka Dome," built around Rollie Fingers (and Don Sutton), for quite a while now.

Now, you had no way to know that, in this new thread, so my retribution will be purely professional and not personal between our teams. A gentlemen's competition, as it were.

Best of luck in the Expansion Cup!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Fukuoka Finger Bangers get 2003 Curt Schilling

Ryleh Cultists get 2002 Curt Schilling and '95 Steve Avery

I approve this trade.

What wound did not heal by degrees, Curt? This one.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The Fingers Lake Phoenixes are willing to accept the risk of rookie Barry Bonds, '02 Earl Moore, whose nickname I like, '02 Bill Bradley, '86 Bobby Bonilla, '86 Tony Pena and '85 Andy Van Slyke from the Polyarny Postmodernists, apparent pursuers of the Doppel legacy, in exchange for the proven commodity of '89 Rickey Henderson, '04 or '05 Jimmy Rollins, and '64 Richie Allen, in the hope that he will roll better for you.

A chance at greatness or despair with Barrold, plus young Bobby Bo, and a couple guys that probably wouldn't make your final 28. In exchange, you get Rickey, who you need; Rollins, in case Ozzie gets hurt or doesn't hit; and Allen, who's on the Macho Men not once, but twice, and just got nailed with a young, bad roll for me.

This favors you a good deal, but I admire you picking up the reins, and I want to help! If the Phoenixes survive, and you want to throw me your third round dispersal pick as a tip, I won't complain. Just saying.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 10, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

gingemidget posted:

'11 Peralta for a second round pick I'm happy to do. '09 Peralta would need to be accompanied by either your third round pick or a usable reliever for my second rounder.

Yeah, I can't let you be fleeced like this. I'll send you Hall of Fame shortstop Robin Yount for your second round dispersal pick.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well done on the history update, Smasher.

The rest of the last page, well...good God. I'm going to have to Do Something about the Cultist/Superstar/Moogly Axis, aren't I? Other right-thinking owners are invited to join in, of course.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

gingemidget posted:

This simultaneously intrigues me and makes me feel like an idiot.

Why? There's no way he's lasting until the end of the second round.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Joe Williams (SP) (Teach you to abandon my thread!) - 69 days

Ah, the traditional early-season starting pitching injury. I'd been on tenterhooks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hershiser in for Smokey Joe. Swap Hiller and Holly at SR/MR. It's tradition.

Is Furillo being used as a defensive replacement frequently?

Can I say I really like the Don Slaught conceit? I only wish the Gumshoes were better.

After the Bobbleheads took the Babe in a challenge, it was fated they should win the Championship. I must match their feat once again, it seems. Who wants to see the Comanchero-style Williams-Bonds-Ruth outfield? Eh? Ehh? Let me get my collateral together.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Wow, those are some bad goddamn rolls. OK, Carl Mays in for Ruffing, who moves to long relief. Apparently '64 Richie Allen is doomed - send him down and call up A-Gon to be a lefty bat off the bench.

My bullpen is certainly a thing, isn't it? And it was so good last year.

Edit so as not to triple-post:

Considering our traditional elite pitcher injury, we wish to Challenge for ***'50 Robin Roberts. I'll proffer Vladdy, Don Mincher, and, oh, Vicente Padilla as collateral. Mr. Neo-Eephus was actually a second-round pick for me once, so, there's that.

Last season, I failed in my three-star challenge and succeeded in fours and fives. Let's hope for total success this time.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 30, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Welcome to the Dark Side, Smasher.

gingemidget posted:

Bad rotation? Unfazed by the curse of the 90s Braves? Simply want a player with the letter Z in their name? Then I have a like new '93 John Smoltz ready to sell to you for any reasonable offer!

The Phoenixes are prepared to offer you your choice of Chrises - '06 Chris Young, 117 ERA+, and led the league in fewest hits allowed both that year and the next - his career was later derailed by injury, unfortunately; or '64 Chris Short, pride of Philadelphia, 158 ERA+, 1.020 WHIP, and an excellent 3.55 K/BB.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I think Ruffing should be at Long Relief, I really don't want Bobby Schantz doing spot starts, though he might end up in the later innings if the 7-8-9 guys continue to suck.

My challenge for Robin Roberts seems to have been missed, but, gently caress it, in respect for your time, I'll go straight for *****Pop Lloyd

I'll proffer Vladdy, Don Mincher, and, oh, Vicente Padilla as collateral.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Revenant Threshold posted:

Aaaand this would be the part where I realise that in taking the better of my two 2B backup options I forgot the other one was my only SS backup. Ho hum.

Joe Gordon in for Vaughan while he's out, and may God have mercy on our souls.

Edit: Emergency challenge as a solution foiled since the lowest challengeable-for SS is four-star. I really didn't think this one ahead.

Want Jimmy Rollins? Price is '85 Jack Clark and your second-round pick.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The Goog posted:

It's worth noting, Rev, that Marauder's Rollins has either zero or one year with an OPS+ above 100 on his resume. (What year is he, anyway?) Jack Clark is already a high-slugging, multi-time All Star by 1985. That alone makes the deal silly.

Here's a better offer for you: 1910 Jim Delahanty, who had enjoyed six straight 100-or-higher OPS+ seasons and would go on to put up four more in a row, for just your second round pick.

There was an effort post here, but....

Rollins has excellent defense and superior power for a shortstop.

Jim Delahanty is not a shortstop at all. He played five games there in '06.

Edit: OK, now that that sunk in, it's 2004 Rollins, .289/.348/.455. Anyone should be happy to get that from their shortstop.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 2, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Beet posted:

BBM doesn't necessarily follow single-season performance, though. And since it's '04 Rollins, it will treat him like the .262/.317/.395 player he was from 00-03, since the 04 season hasn't happened yet for him as far as the engine is concerned.

Were the engine operating in a vacuum, that might be an issue. Regardless, this roll doesn't show the split-score sign of a raw player.

Anyway, Revenant Threshold, what good is having two Jacks Clark? I imagine you're platooning one with Crime Dog at DH, but it's not like he's a super-versatile player. The '85 Series is a strong case against playing him at first, and how many spare right fielders do you need?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Look over my team - both my teams - and see if you can put together a better package.

I love Lefty Carlton as a Phillie fan, but Mogul doesn't, for whatever reason. And the throw-ins are just awful. Cuyler won't OBP over .300. Although I have a Cuyler too, if you'd like him, I guess.

edit:
Honestly, you need breadth, and not just an ace and some throw-ins.

How about '97 Robbie Alomar to solve your second base problem?
'71 Don Sutton has always been solid for me, and I'll add '02 Barry Zito in his Cy Young year.

'50 Duke Snider is also available to swap in, but you've got to figure Braun/Cutch/Sheffield will turn it around, no?

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 3, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

To be clear, that's:

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito

for your first-round draft pick

Sorry for the terseness, I'm bouncing between two computers.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

For the record, I speak from experience on (1926) Cuyler - .265/.312/6 HR over most of a season (SL IV); .235/.252/2 HR over a month+ (SLV). Mogul thinks Larry Walker is a product of Coors, which is a little unjust, but hey.

As for Frank Smith, well see his stats for yourself, but I wouldn't touch that WHIP or high deadball walk rate with a 60' 6" pole.

Honestly, I don't have much desire for the pick, I just don't want to see you get taken, and if I can make your team better across the board, I'd like to help, since you really got a bad roll on those hitters.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

theacox posted:

Finger-Bangers:

I like this, but it just seems like there is something missing. Perhaps a late pick or OF/RP body as a filler?

Well, in addition to

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito

I can offer you your choice of:

'50 Carl Furillo, from those great Dodger teams, fell just short of being a career .300 hitter, who would make an excellent defensive replacement for the corners, or could play center to give Cutch some time off, or,

'11 Koji Uehara, who never walks anybody, for bullpen help. 3 BB in 36 IP this year, and last year "only" a 9.44 K/BB. Career 153 ERA+ and 0.921 WHIP.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

: Finally, the Commissar's much-abused challenge system has delivered justice to this club, as my misplaced loyalty to Robin Yount is redressed; Smokey Joe has fallen, but a shortstop rises from the ashes. Come up, John Henry Lloyd, and take your place amongst champions!

: In this private office, be we the first that shall salute our rightful shortstop; With honor of his birthright to the infield!

Pop Lloyd up, Boudreau to the bench, Furillo to the minors.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

We have a new European Champion!

Nothing lasts forever, even titles obtained by corrupt bargains, it seems.

I hope it was to the Gumshoes, so that Det. Slaught can savor his pathetic temporary triumph before I have him crushed.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'd better stick Ernie Lombardi out there at catcher for the nonce. Make Dickey Mays' personal catcher. Also, please bat him eighth and Barrence Larkin second. What's my SB slider at?

Sarsaparilla has given me an idea; Bearers, I will offer you your choice of Chrises Young or Short1, haha, to stop you from using Sunday Teddy Lyons and his Knuckler of Doom. (The Doom to which I refer is yours, if that wasn't clear) Ship me Kenny Lofton in return, as well as your useless Launch Ballman Lance Berkman.

[1] '06 Chris Young, 117 ERA+, and led the league in fewest hits allowed both that year and the next - his career was later derailed by injury, unfortunately; or '64 Chris Short, pride of Philadelphia, 158 ERA+, 1.020 WHIP, and an excellent 3.55 K/BB.

Last use of the Euro Championship banner, alas. For now.

Although the circumstances have certainly changed, I will accept your trade, theacox, if you don't object to sending me the underperforming Schoendienst as well as your pick. Just in case LaJoie explodes, I don't want to have to trot Omar Infante out there every day.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

theacox posted:

Trade offer accepted.

Finger-Bangers get:

Super Draft 1st round pick
'49 Schoendienst

Mudholes get:

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito
'11 Uehara

Please confirm I have this right just to make it all official-like.

Duly Confirmed.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Let me try old Bob Feller in the rotation, Rijo back to Long Relief. I think it lines up so we can give Feller the start immediately so he ends up in the 5 spot, and Schilling slides up to 3.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

factorialite posted:

Are we done with challenges yet?

I sure hope so. The people who need them don't have the collateral to make 'em, and the powerful getting more so isn't ideal either.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so remind me of what the offers are again?

I originally wanted out-for-the-year Berkman, but if you actually are considering another season, I'll rein in the usury and be fine with '91 Kenny Lofton for '06 Chris Young.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

/\ PMs are a wondrous thing.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Base calumny!

Welp.

factorialite posted:

Just saw that. I'm trying to figure out the year.

'39 Foxx, from the Sharks. I would take the deal if I had anywhere to put him.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

/\ "How much money could we have if we had 90 or 100K people coming to the games?" What, are you going to bus them in from the coast?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Marauder

My choices were either spill the beans to cbx, or have to do an entire other mock draft myself and, fun as your skullduggery is, it's not worth that much of my time.

Haha, yeah, no worries, it was just funny. Thanks for not quoting the important bit. :ninja:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Frank Thomas (1B) (Big Hurt) - 22 days

Balls. Oh, look, now I have a place to put Foxx. Well, welcome back, 1B platoon. DL Thomas, send down Boudreau, call up Olerud and Konerko, platoon 'em at first.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 11, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Wait, what? No, a catcher with my own pick. Ryan first overall, obviously.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

cbx posted:

Updated, Marauder. My apologies, like I said, rough day for me.

I'm glad it was easily fixed on your end. I advise you to dispatch a Cell to anyone who changes their picks at this point.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

blackmongoose posted:

Have to use the banner one last time.

: Thank you for holding on to that banner, and for acquiring the US Championship for me. I'd grown comfortable with it, but had felt its lack until now. After all, owners prize the thing ungained more than it is, as it were.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ah, that looks splendid.

Bob Feller to the minors, I might need him down the stretch, and he can rest his old bones. Nolan will be my new #1, Vance to the fifth spot. If I have to eat a Rijo start, so be it.

Send down Earl Beatty Battey and call up Thurman Munson to platoon with Yogi. Because I am crazy, send down Chipper and call up Giambino to work off the bench.

OK, now it's time to confront the elephant in the owner's box. Why is Barrold hitting .189? Does he really really hate center field that much?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

As flies to wanton boys are the Smasher League to we gods of base-ball,
We shall kill them for our sport.

Dynamo League All-Star Team

Starters:
C: Johnny Bench (DUB)
1B: Mark McGwire (POR)
2B: Eddie Collins (BUR)
3B: Eddie Mathews (SXE)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (POU)
LF: Rickey Henderson (LOM)
CF: Jim Edmonds (BUR)
RF: Frank Robinson (ROC)
DH: Frank Thomas (ROC)
SP: Smokey Joe Wood (POR)

Reserves:
C Yogi Berra (NYF)
IF Nap Lajoie (FLO)
IF Honus Wagner (CLE)
OF Willie Mays (LOM)
OF Tony Gwynn (RCH)
LF/DH Ted Williams (NYF)

Pitchers:
P Cliff Lee (CUN)
P Greg Maddux (BAR)
P Satchel Paige (ROC)
P Juan Marichal (STP) (spot starter)

P Mariano Rivera (OLD)
P Alfredo Aceves (NYF)
P Billy Wagner (FLO)
P Pedro Martinez (SXE)
P Noodles the Pitcher (PAR) (mop-up)

: Mark Grace and his lackeys challenge us, but Ambition should be made of sterner stuff; a best-of-seven series would serve to establish the dominance of our superior League, and the purity of hurlers at bat. Without actually doing the latter. But where Logic falters, Symbolism picks up the banner and carries it to the finish.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 16, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Truly, the opinion of a man whose bullpen has doomed him for seven seasons....

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

factorialite posted:

Verily, the wisdom of a man who uses a 24-persons roster in the All-of-them-Stars contests

Are we not counting Alfredo Aceves? I mean, fair enough, I thought that was a compromise; I really wanted to put Rollie in there, but I thought it would have been too obvious unfair.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Mike Cameron and Ernie Lombardi to the minors. Papi is now DH, Dickey and Piazza platoon at catcher, Scoops Carey plays center.

New Lineup

LF Rickey Henderson
SS Barry Larkin
1B Lou Gehrig
2B Roberto Alomar
RF Brian Giles
DH David Ortiz
CF Max Carey
C Bill Dickey/Mike Piazza
3B Red Rolfe

Strategy Slider Changes

Hit and Run: -1
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: +2
Stealing Bases: +2
Aggressively Tagging Up: +1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +1

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ah, Orel, too bright to last! Stick Feller back into the rotation, DL Hershiser.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

DL Dickey, effective from his injury, call Schnozz Lombardi back up, start old Piazza.

We are certainly pleased by what is happening in the Bellhorn division. Our totem is working!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Would someone be willing to post the Albany Pessimists banner from the sign up thread?

Smasher will put 'em in the OP (well, second post) eventually. They change if you win awards or any of the undercard titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I can't risk injuries to key personnel at this stage of the Plan.

Polanco starts for Lajoie, Giambi platoons with Edgar. This should be funny.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 19, 2012