Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just use a cheap blend unless they specify. JW red is fine. Anything pricier and the Drambuie just shits it up really. It's supposed to be an affordable low brow kind of scotch drink, something for a blue collar guy. Not a frufru thing.

I cannot take anyone talking about Drambuie as 'blue collar' seriously because of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfOXVNdivLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Thel posted:

One massive cultural difference - tipping is nowhere near as prevalent in Australia. To counter that you'll get a wage that's at least theoretically possible to live on.

(Theoretically.)

"Theoretically"? You have to have very bad money management skills or be living in Sydney to not be able to afford to live on even a part-time bartender's wage.

"Tipping" and "Barbacking" are things I only discovered through this thread (thankfully before I visited the US, otherwise I'd have inadvertently not tipped dozens of bartenders because nobody tells you how systematically underpaid US bartenders are) - apart from drunkenly generous or drunkenly flirtatious customers, don't expect tips, even in the form of "keep the change" from a $19.50 order.

Get good at coffee. Everyone in Melbourne knows how to make a better coffee than you, and you'll be held to Melbourne standards.

Managers will skip over most of your resume the first time they read it to get to the certificates and qualifications section to see if you have an RSA - if you don't, it goes straight in the bin.

Unless the bar actually advertises itself as a cocktail bar, it's unlikely that you'll make many cocktails at all, and customers will be fine with having to explain the recipe to you or waiting for you to look it up. The important things are being able to pour a good beer about 200 times in an hour, move quickly and unobtrusively, and be friendly even when customers are being self-entitled fucks.

The cafe experience is good and should be highlighted - a lot of the skills you'll need are very similar between the two jobs.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

adamarama posted:

Is cider big in the US? I mean, bulmers is OK but there's a huge variety available. The Swedish and British ciders tend to be the best. Can't beat cider on a hot day. The really annoying thing here is that the prices are creeping -just- beyond 5e a drink. Awkward when you're in rounds. That'll be 20.40 please. Breaking 50 for four drinks is a fucker.

Swedish ciders are gross as gently caress, dude - I mean, if painful sweet syrups at 4.0% ABV with no actual fruit in them are your thing, that's cool, but I'm still going to call you a loving girl for ordering them. Best ciders in the world if you can get hands on them are Tasmanian - they don't call the home of Franks, Spreyton, Willie Smith's and Pagan the "apple isle" for nothing. Other than that those local village ciders you get on cask in the southwest of England are the tits.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

I guess you're not into crude jokes. It's a joke because it's gross. And bartenders aren't known to be the most professional lot. And who's jerking off who? Because I have yet to get a handy and if I continue drinking someone's gonna have to handle my passed out, limp dingus, so hurry up you prudes.

Jokes are funny. Taking advantage of intoxicated customers isn't. gently caress off.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think my favorite part of this whole ordeal is that in my years of bartending, I never took a customer home, and I sure as poo poo never got a girl intoxicated with that intent. But hey, this is a super serious thread about career bartending, no more jokes allowed.

Rape isn't a joke, dickhead.

• Locked thread