Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Cookies posted:

I was once tipped $5 total in one night by a bunch of brits who tipped a quarter a drink.

Weighing down my drat pockets! :argh:
I used to get tipped 75 cents pretty much exclusively because I was working a half-service bar that did bottled beers costing $2.25.

Then they upped the price to $2.75 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Daric posted:

I wish Evan Williams was our house whiskey, we use Early Times. Evan Williams is really good.
I normally drink Wild Turkey 101 (not the finest but I do like it) and tried EW on James's recommendation as well.

I was not right for about a week afterwards, like it killed all the beneficial gut flora I had. I've gotten really drunk on Turkey with no real bad after-effects, but the minor drunk I had on that poo poo pretty much wrecked me. Sorry EW, I tried to like you... :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Liquor question: I have a bottle of Carolan's Irish Cream that is unopened, but I don't have the slightest idea how old it is (probably very if I don't remember buying it). Does this poo poo go bad, and if so is it obvious? Like chunky or whatnot? It's a cheap knockoff brand so throwing it away certainly won't cause me any grief but if it's still drinkable why waste booze?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JawKnee posted:

I've never seen an Irish Cream type liqueur go bad before, but most bottles don't survive being around my living space for that long (or the bar, either).

Except for blue curacao, I've had a bottle of that poo poo for like 3 years now.
I have a bottle of that too, that I picked up when I was trying to make purple drinks for some dumb occasion. What the gently caress do you make with blue curacao that isn't a horrible syrupy mess?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's funny watching you guys talk about this stuff. I haven't worked in a bar in years, but I live in Utah and by law everything is measured - whether the mag system or clickers or whatever. There is no option to pour heavy, comping drinks is straight up illegal, and you can't even order a double. You used to be able to order a sidecar but they upped a measured shot from 1oz to 1.5oz and did away with the sidecar.

The upside to this is as a bartender is you don't have to worry about getting stiffed on your tips for pouring light and as a patron a drink in Bar A will have exactly the same amount of liquor as Bar B so you can monitor your intake easily. Downside is that you can't be nice to folks for tipping well and you never ever get to have a safety meeting because if DABC caught bartenders drinking on duty they'll yank your license.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

My experience with Utah involved getting into Salt Lake City at around 9pm to the guys place we were staying at, and him taking us out to the only place that was open: Chilis. On the way he drove us past the happening night spot: A Ben & Jerry's with a drive through that was backed up all the way around their parking lot, which was full to the brim with cute young couples enjoying an exhilerating date out together to get ice cream. I think I saw one girls head spin round a full rotation as we were driving past, the whole city was like a loving twilight zone episode.
I don't know when this was or what's wrong with your friend, but... we ain't Vegas or NYC but there are strip clubs, decent bars and a semblance of nightlife if you know what you're doing. Also we don't have Ben and Jerry's here, but ice cream is A Thing since what else are you going to do for a date when you don't drink booze OR coffee or see R rated movies? Any place outside of SLC proper is going to be Stepford Wives poo poo but the city itself is fine. Abandon all hope all ye who enter Provo.

If any of y'all ever find yourself having to come here let me know and I'll take you out and get you proper drunk. Our system is like any other: once you know how to game it you're fine.

edit: We also have Polygamy Porter, how can you go wrong there?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 23, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JawKnee posted:

Corn, rye, or...?

Haha, a BBF date.
Horse piss, I think.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Masonity posted:

What was it? I'm asking both to avoid myself and possibly use for evil inflicting it on colleagues. You know, for those times that Tabasco in their beer just won't cut it.
Have you tried the Screaming Spaniard? Jager and tequila. Both times I've done that shot I vomited it up pretty much immediately regardless of intoxication level.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
As I no longer bartend, I would like to extend my condolences to everyone that has to work tonight. New Year's aka Amateur Eve is probably the shittiest night to have to work in a bar.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

navyjack posted:

gently caress that. I'd rather be behind the wood making $$$ than out in the crowd spending it. I'll have my NYE with my staff later this month.
Yeah, I don't go to bars on NYE any more. Too many assholes I don't know, when I could be spending it with assholes I do know at a house party somewhere. Plus I can buy a bottle of something for 10 bucks and get shitfaced if I'm so inclined, without worrying about tipping correctly or having to stand in line for a drink! :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Here's an article about a bar designed around the bartender:

So the next time someone is telling you they want you to come work for them, tell them OK as long as you get to completely redesign the bar.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

Champagne with clamato.
At my old job I used to pick up roadkill in July and then go to lunch, but that made me retch a bit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Probably Infected posted:

For those working in bars with larger (24+) craft beer draft selections I have a question:

Do you have an exceptionally large walk-in box to house full sized (50 liter/15.5gal) kegs or do you opt for mainly sixtels?

If so, do you find the need to increase the price per pint to make up for the higher beer cost that comes with sixtels and 1/4 barrels?

Looking into some new spaces for a craft beer oriented bar and deciding on the viability of the existing walk-ins.
Call these people and ask them their setup, that place is loving crazy: http://www.utahbayou.com/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know vaguely how they should feel, and I know the flashlight trick from my tonsilitis/2' blizzard/bar rescue week. If there's anything I should teach myself to look good at an interview, I'd be glad to learn it.
I used to ask people their astrological sign back in the day. They'll memorize all the poo poo on that card down to the license number, but still either give you their sign or stare at you dumbly while they try to guess if it's Virgo or Libra.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FISHMANPET posted:

Sometimes they get old real IDs from someone that looks like them, so they may not have a choice.
This. As ID's get more sophisticated and harder to fake they get someone else's real ID. In working the door I don't think I ever found a fake manufactured ID, they were all legit IDs being used by underagers.

edit:

Zauper posted:

What if someone doesn't know their sign? I don't.
If you're already using an ID that doesn't look like you (whether it's you or not) and can't answer this question you ain't getting in my bar. It's not worth losing the liquor license or getting my rear end fined to let 1 person in, sorry.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2013

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PT6A posted:

Do you get any specialized training on recognizing discrepancies between the photo on the ID and the person's face? I've never had anyone card me and scrutinize my face in any depth (granted, I've always been using my legit ID), but for example travelling in and out of certain countries, you can basically see immigration authorities running through a mental checklist of sorts to make sure you're the person pictured in your passport and/or entry photo.

EDIT: Mind you, one time I did get refused for off-sales when I was only a year or two above the legal age. The bartender found it suspicious that I didn't want to walk to the much-less-expensive liquor store 3 blocks away, but the reality was that I was picking up beer for my nearby friends as a favour, and they wanted it ASAP and gave me the money. Sort of a piss-off, but I can understand why it happened.
Not really. This was way back in the day, so we were told to look for things like split laminating, or the picture being thicker than the rest (meaning they'd cut/pasted it in there). Oddly enough I didn't get much training on spotting a fake ID when I went through the police academy either :v: You learn to look at some stuff though. Hair color and style can be changed as can eye color with contacts. Distance between the eyes, eye shape and nostril shape is pretty individual and a good place to start.

Nowadays they have an electronic scanner to tell you if the ID is a real one, still up to the door person to make sure it actually belongs to the person carrying it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zauper posted:

Eh, grow/shave a beard.
I worked at a lesbian bar. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FaceEater posted:

Varied amounts of citrus vodka and Frangelico/hazelnut with the ingredients Hoops suggested. More cake-like, yes, but might get you in the right direction. Especially the Frangelico. Can do very amazing things towards creating strange baked flavors.
I was trying to think of the name of that poo poo. My usual bar here makes a shot called a chocolate cake which is made with Frangelico, sugared rim and a lemon wedge. You do it like tequila and I don't know how but it tastes like loving chocolate cake, and there's nothing actually chocolate-flavored in it :iiam:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:psyduck: Christ, do people not know what a brewpub is? I live in Salt Lake, which is the world HQ of the Mormon church, and we have 'em. Some good ones, too. I can't imagine how backwards a place has to be for people to not know what they're getting when they walk in.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kingcrimbud posted:

Attending a wedding reception tonight, with an open bar all night. What's your preferred way to tip in this situation?
Depending on how much I think I'll be drinking, I usually walk up to the bar for the first time and give them a twenty. That buys me really good service for most of the night. If I knew I was being carried home then it would probably be more. Then I don't have to have a bunch of change and if I get really blotto I don't forget to do it at the end.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Or if you're already drinking pisswater in a lot of bars you can ask for a "stein" which is 22oz and usually not much more. At my main watering hole I think it's like a buck more for a stein of decent beer and maybe 50 cents for PBR or Miller Lite poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I just bought a bottle of St-Germain liqueur. Anyone have recommendations for cocktails?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I don't know where I'll find cucumber soda ( :psyduck: ) and I really don't like cucumber in general but I find Hendrick's tolerable so I'll see what I can come up with. I live in da hood so I made due last night with club soda, a splash of pineapple juice and grenadine. That stuff is drat tasty.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
When I was barbacking sometimes I would go pick up the liquor order and get fruit from the store. I live in a place with state-run liquor stores and you have to buy from them at the same retail price as everyone else, no going to the warehouse. So I would go in and pick up the ordered/paid for $1000 worth of well-grade booze.

I would get some real :stare: looks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Also since it's going on into summer there is a lot of really good Spanish Rose which drinks great in hot weather.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

navyjack posted:

A cocktail is to a glass of wine as rape is to love.

What the poo poo is a Jäger Bomb in this scenario?
Goatse.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Septimius posted:

Is there any reason for people not liking draft beer? It's one of the attractions of a bar.
I think at least in North America people associate "draft beer" with mass-produced piss swill like Budweiser and Coors. When I went to London I asked the barkeep for a beer recommendation and she pointed me to the mildest thing they had because I was American. When I told her everything was on the table except IPA she was both surprised and pleased and set me up with some fine bitters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I was in Paris recently and at the bar we ended up drinking the most, the owner told me "no no, you can settle up when you're done" the first time I ordered. It was nice but odd to my American sensibilities.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mooyashi posted:

Holy god that sounds awful. I mean, make your money and all, but sheesh
Yeah St Germain and Chambord would probably be tasty if really drat sweet, but peppermint on top of that? :gonk:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Starscream posted:

Chicks dig it. It reminds me of cough syrup.
At least if you drank actual cough syrup you might end up tripping balls.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
What are some of y'all's favorite bloody mary recipes? I dig them but I have this weird thing where pepper of any sort (the spice, not the vegetable) tastes like dirt to me so the usual mixing where the bottom is like kitty litter is nigh undrinkable for me. Anything else to add that extra punch?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

If you hate pepper, you probably need a pepper grinder because fresh cracked pepper loving rocks and the difference in taste and aromas from fresh cracked pepper compared to lovely grains of pepper that have sat in a shaker forever are massive.

If it's still not your thing though, look into horseradish to give you that kick instead. Personally, I prefer fresh grated horseradish over the pre prepped stuff you can buy in little jars, but if you can't get it, or can't be bothered, you can still find some decent stuff out there to just drop a spoonful in your Bloody Mary to bring it to life.

Also, if you've got all your seasoning at the bottom of your glass you're doing it wrong. Chill your Bloody Mary by making it one part of your shaker, and then roll it (pour it back and forth into the other half a few times until chilled.) If you're getting to the bottom and it's still all seasoning down there, then you're drinking it way too loving slow.
Fresh tastes worse to me :( Y'know how some people have that thing where cilantro tastes like soap? I swear I have something similar with pepper. Love me some horseradish though, I'll try making one with that.

I'm doing this for home use, so I have salt (regular and kosher), celery salt, Worcestershire, horseradish, Tabasco and lemons/limes available. I prefer lemon instead of lime and also like chucking a couple olives in. It's a 3-day weekend for me this week so I'll do a little experimentation, thanks!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ok bartender goons, I need some drink ideas for a Rocky Horror Picture Show thing going on this weekend. Doesn't need to be wildly original, just repurposed drinks with a twist that can make them Rocky related. Half dozen is probably enough, and I have 3 already:

Damnit Janet - a red headed slut with a smashed cherry in it
Oh Rocky - a blowjob shot with a splash of Goldschlager on top
Absolute Pleasure - prosecco or champagne with a shot of St Germain

It's a full-service bar so it will have most things and the crowd will most likely be unsophisticated so we don't have to get too fancy either :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

Time warp - 2oz shot, half 151, half absinthe
:gonk: Have... have you actually had this?

Manuel Calavera posted:

I am not a bartender in any way. But I am an RHPS fan.
Sins of the Flesh - Fireball & Hard Cider
Thought about doing something like this because the bar has Sinnfire, which is a knockoff Fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well poo poo :(

• Locked thread