Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Vegetable Melange posted:

Dear everybody who will pre game at house parties then show up a sloppy, costumed mess at my bar: comic con is over. gently caress Halloween.

gently caress this. Halloween is Bartender Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Perdido posted:

Never working in a costume without pockets again.

Good night otherwise. I got Katy Perry and Batgirl's phone numbers. :v:

What was the 'fad' costume in your neck of the woods?

Mine was Ted from the movie Ted and the Gangam Style guy.

Saturday was a college football home game. So while a bunch of people came out in costume, hundreds more came out in the typical game day apparel and kinda drowned everything else out. Add to that being pretty much in the weeds from noon to close, I barely had a chance to notice any costumes unless it involved a skirt that didn't quite cover an rear end (which has an amazing ability to stop all work behind the bar for at least a couple minutes or until everyone has been made aware and had a look). And since Halloween falls on one of my days off and I'm gonna already be pushing overtime, I was just informed that I don't get to work it. I cannot begin to express my disappointment about this entire situation.

Now the only thing I have to look forward to is Mardi Gras. :jerkbag:

That said, I did notice a lot of loving zombies. Not even unique zombies like Zombie Colonel Sanders or whatever, just normal people with lots of blood and open wounds and what have you. And not a single Slutty Zombie. Just a bust year for me, still stand behind the awesomeness of Halloween behind the bar though!

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Have you tried calling other bartenders you know to find out if they have an open shift for the night? On nights like Halloween and St. Paddy's Day, plenty of bars in Houston will add capacity and a couple extra bartenders/servers, if you start calling now you may get lucky.

Yeah, I asked around, no luck. Halloween falls in the middle of the busy season for bars in my city so everyone added staff back in August. Only gig I could find was at the music venue next door and it was just doing security. Which I don't mind doing now and again, but it's some lovely dubstep show and I'd rather have the night off than have my ears raped for several hours. So I loaned them one of my barbacks instead.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

gently caress Daylight Saving and gently caress staying open an extra hour. Christ.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

ubermarcus posted:

I was just curious what size float you guys all keep in the till?
I'm in a hotel that has a lot of functions and weddings, so it happens a few times per week that I'll have 150ish people all insisting on paying with $50 notes, so no matter how perfect my till looks at the start of the shift, it's usually rendered useless within an hour or two.
I currently have $400 and have been told "we can't just make more money appear for a larger float! Where would it come from? Just make sure you stock it properly beforehand!"

$150 in each of the 2-4 bangers, another $750 or $1050 in the change box. Also, I'd never heard the term float prior to this, huh.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I imagine it has probably already been asked somewhere in this huge thread, but what bartending/cocktail/booze/etc blogs would you all recommend? I'm just starting to transition from the kitchen to behind the bar at the sorta punk sorta dive-y bar I work at in Philly and I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible.

I agree with FaceEater about the old thread. It really is one of the best collections of bartending and bar industry knowledge that I've ever found, online or otherwise.

As for blogs, there isn't much out there. Something about bartending blogs, they pretty much all follow the same path. They start out in the same way, talking about the same things, and after a year or so they fizzle out. There is a lot of good information to be had on some of the dead ones if you're willing to go back a few years and start from their respective beginnings.

That said, a couple that I like that are still active are The Truth About Bartending and Life On A Cocktail Napkin.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

I work in a cash only bar that owns its ATM. While I guest at places that take cards and I don't mind dealing with them at all, I get :smug: as poo poo when conversations like this come up. Sadly, I think our days of cash only are numbered. Where as a few years ago there were several of us in the downtown area that didn't take cards at all, I think we are the last one left.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

I really want to invent a soda gun that pushes water out as fast or faster than everything else. Not only would I be rich, I would be in the debt of every bartender on the planet and never have to pay for a drink again.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Me and my entire staff are going to be in Vegas at the end of January for a much needed and deserved vacation. Do we have any Vegas bartenders in here anymore?

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

gently caress. This. Night.

Last two NYE's were super tame, almost slow actually, so we weren't expecting much this time either. But nooooooo, we got our asses handed to us all night long. I had the good sense to do some optimistic prep yesterday which ultimately saved us but still wasn't enough. Running down to the backup ice machine in the basement because the upstairs one was empty before 11pm, burning through all our glassware and then all our plastic and then digging in the back to pull out the "reserves", tossing people out left and right, pouring three cases of champagne in 20 minutes.. augghh.

And whichever chucklefuck decided that New Year's Eve and noise makers go together.. christ. Spending more time with this beer against my forehead than I am actually drinking it.

But! To those of you that fought the good fight and did god's work tonight, this forthcoming blackout is for you.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Still have never had to hop the bar. I'm conflicted on how I feel about that.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Verr posted:

For novice bartenders like myself: Why should I physically break up a fight? It's just me every night I work, and I've been able to shout/threaten people down, but if things were to escalate between some customers, why shouldn't I just call the police and chill the gently caress away from where people are beating each other?

I assume liability and reputation are what's on the line?

That's somewhat of a difficult question. Reputation and liability, yes. Your local liquor commission's laws and your city ordinances. Your morality as a decent human being.

First off though, don't you ever physically break up a fight if you are by yourself in the bar. Period. That was one of my biggest concerns with accepting a management roll and being put in a position where I would be alone in the bar for several hours at a time. Your personal safety is obviously the first issue, things go south and you are left bleeding on the floor with nobody to take care of you or call an ambulance, gently caress that. A very distant second, you get knocked out or disabled, people now have free reign to rob the place and there is gently caress all you can do.

Shout it down if you can, from behind the bar, but if that doesn't work then get on the phone with dispatch in a loving heartbeat. Just being on the phone and saying "The cops are on the way.." has taken care of most of these conflicts that I've been in. We also have a bat behind the bar which I will take out, for my own personal safety, and that seems to convey the seriousness of the situation and they were far more inclined to stand down and leave.

But most of the fights and brawls that are being brought up here, these happened in venues with security or at least several other employees that could jump in. So in places with the staff to handle it, reputation matters, yes. Don't want to be known as "The place where they sweep up the eyeballs after closing." But the law is what it really comes down to because that is what can jeopardize a liquor license. But those laws vary for state to state, city to city.

In my city it reads like this:

quote:

019.01F Disturbance: No licensee or partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee shall allow any unreasonable disturbance, as such term is defined hereunder, to continue without taking the steps, as set forth hereunder, within a licensed premise or in adjacent related outdoor areas.

019.01F1 A "Disturbance" as used in this section shall mean any brawl, fight, or other activity which may endanger the patrons, employees, law enforcement officers, or members of the general public within licensed premises or adjacent related outdoor area. Any brawl fight or other activity which results in serious injury to any patron, employee or members of the general public shall be reported to law enforcement. Serious injury means any gunshot wound, knife or other stab wound or any other injury requiring medical treatment onsite or transportation to a medical facility for treatment. Licensees and their employees shall not prohibit or interfere in any way with a patron who chooses to contact law enforcement in the event they are assaulted on the premises.

019.01F2 Unless there is reason to believe that a licensee or partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee would endanger himself/herself or others, such person shall take such action as is reasonably necessary to terminate the disturbance. Physical force should be exercised only in extreme circumstances and should be limited to the force reasonably required to terminate the disturbance and remove the individual from the licensed premise, without endangering any patron or other person.

019.01F3 In the event efforts taken in accordance with the preceding subparagraph are not successful or if there is reason to believe that the licensee, partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee may create a danger to himself/herself or others, than in such event, such person shall immediately contact law enforcement personnel to assist in properly handling the disturbance. In the event law enforcement and/or medical personnel are summoned, the directions and/or orders given by such law enforcement or medical personnel shall be followed.

So if you read that underlined part like I do, we are obligated, by law, to handle poo poo. If we are capable of breaking it up, we break it up (and in my midwest college bar, we're almost always capable). If not or we're not interested in putting hands on some 6'7" linebacker looking son of a bitch, we call the cops. But, our response time is like 5 minutes. I imagine things are very different if you don't have cops already nearby and I have no idea how to go about dealing with poo poo in such circumstances.

With all that out of the way, this is what one of my bartenders looked like after our last bar fight.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Loopyface posted:

Maybe this should go in the med thread, but is there an alternative to a hard cast when it comes to broken hand bones? I popped a knuckle kicking sometime out tonight and it's gonna affect my next couple of shifts unless there's a waterproof option.

I have heard of people getting waterproof casts and that they were waterproof enough to swim in. Ask your doctor, tell him your job requires you to submerge that hand in water repeatedly. If they can't give you something that will work, bartend your rear end off with one hand and embarrass your coworkers, let the barback wash your dishes.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

It doesn't even need to be within the bar itself. My former neighbourhood bar in my former neighbourhood got its license pulled over the number of shootings taking place in its parking lot. Aside from that, it was a nice place.

Yeah, violence and liquor licenses just don't seem to stick together for very long. None of the bars in my area actually have parking lots so I've never heard of anything like that. But on a similar note, I remember when I started barbacking, a couple guys were having an argument and took it outside to settle it. I was relieved that we didn't have to deal with it, but when the fight started outside the staff poured out the door to break it up leaving me thinking "It's outside, how the gently caress is this our problem?!" Come to find out if it starts inside the bar, to any degree, the bar is still liable and it's treated just the same as if it happened inside.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

How common are barfights, really? Having gone to a bar pretty much at least once every other day (on average) for the past 5 or 6 years, all over the world, I still have never seen one. I've seen things come close, but never has it actually reached the point of a true fight.

Depends on the place. In mine, maybe 2-3 times a year. In a couple places nearby, at least twice a month. Which is why they employe security where as we just have barbacks and bartenders.

Really though, I see far, far more fights on the street after the bars close. At least a few every single weekend.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Just bartended the staff/regulars Christmas party at the unofficial bartenders' bar in our area, the place we all hang out at and all wished we worked at. Walked after a 6 hour shift with double what I've made in 14 hours on our busiest of days and I didn't even have to break a sweat. Alternating between elation and bitter loving resentment at a remarkable pace.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

According to the article, the floor behind the bar is raised about a half foot, which accounts for some of it.

That said, yeah, the bartop looks uncomfortably low, but I have a feeling we're both wrong about that.

Yeah, that's really the only thing that I dislike about the design. Everything else looks really awesome, even that speed rail setup grew on me the more I looked at it. I love absolutely everything about that backbar, especially those built in step shelves. Having just bartended at a place with a top shelf that required me to be on my tip toes and kinda knock those bottles towards me, those steps would have been perfect.

Don't really understand the foot pedal sinks though. Yeah, you don't have to stoop to turn on the faucets but you'd still have to stoop to actually wash the glasses, wouldn't you?

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

navyjack posted:

Irish cream instead of milk or cream makes it a Blond Russian.

He meant to say Blind Russian.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

But what if you absolutely had to?

I'd just take the straight shot of vodka. gently caress the liqueur and gently caress the mixer.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

In my experience "straight up" is just white trash/townie for "I want a shot of that".

It also translates to "I don't know how to drink in a real bar and you're probably going to have to cut me off or kick me out at some point. And on top of that, I'm going to hit every single customer pet peeve that you have before I leave. Every single loving one."

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I am forever dishonored, seppuku by serrated paring knife is my only option now. But thanks, that's good to know. I guess I've been lucky that no one has asked me for anything down before!

You're far more likely to have someone order it as chilled rather than down.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

I almost always order my cocktails like that because I have some of the most unsteady hands in the world and drinking out of fancy glassware is a headache for me.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Nah, had the shaky hands before the alcoholism.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can any of you gents point me to an honest, good cocktail venue in Vegas? My company is sending me to a conference on the strip, and if I recall bars can be hit and miss especially near the touristy areas. I heard the secret level in the Chandelier in the Cosmo has some interesting stuff, but even that makes me scratch my head.
I don't think the crowd I am with wants a club experience but a good bar with real drinks would be a godsend and put some hurt on our corporate cards...

Downtown Cocktail Room on Fremont is exactly what you want. Get the gently caress away from the strip, go downtown, and then go past the Fremont Street Experience. After the canopy ends cross the street and hang a right. (I think..)

I was there in January with almost all of my bar staff and we're still talking about it. The drinks, atmosphere, location, music, seating, staff.. everything was perfect. Between us we ordered their entire menu, I tasted everything, and it was all somewhere between great and exceptional. When thinking about my next trip to Vegas, I am more excited about going back to that place than I am about anything else.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

On the subject of fake ID's, I've done a fair amount of research on it the last month. Some of my better bartenders started catching these really good, near perfect fakes here and there. Prior to this, every internet purchased fake ID (or even homemade) I'd ever seen had been absolutely laughable and I was never concerned about those kinds of ID's getting past people I'd trained. But these new ones are good, one slight variation, one font that isn't quite right, and if you aren't comparing them to the book you'd likely not even notice. First couple that got handed to me to review, I knew they felt off somehow but I wasn't entirely sure I'd have even caught them myself.

So off to Google. Start looking around, find a couple news articles about fake ID's coming out of China that are near perfect. Find the websites that sell them (ID Chief, now ID Buddy I think). Local cops, our liquor commission, nobody had come and talked to us about these being out there and how to spot them. The training I got on fakes when I started was all in house, off of a stack of ID's that had been confiscated or left over the years. My training process is the same, except we've stopped being dependent on black light and UV because I knew that was already being faked.

Finally find Fake ID Trainers (whose site is up and down loving constantly) and their Facebook page under "Fakeidbuster" (which is way more reliable). Detailed information on how to validate ID's, pointing out what to look for and examples of these new fakes so that you can compare against the real ones. Apparently the only thing they can't reproduce is microprint, which you can't see with the naked eye and need a magnifier to spot. So I buy a couple 20x magnifiers, go over everything with my staff, tell them which ID's I'm concerned about and write down where you can find the microprint on each. They've now caught a dozen of these things in the last two weeks and a few of them I recognized from being in the bar before.

So something to look into if you are just starting a security job and want to impress potential employers because they might not be aware of this information. And definitely something you should look into if you are regularly checking ID's and/or value your liquor license.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

pokchu posted:

Is there any respect for bartenders who work private clubs and catering? I've always heard of some dismissal of those who work country/city clubs or private catering, but of course I haven't noticed any since getting the gently caress out of cash houses and dive bars. It's like being put out to pasture.

Yes, there is respect. But it depends on the bartender. And the bartender that's talking about that bartender.

When I was coming up in a high volume college bar, the guys above me talked all sorts of poo poo on the guys working those kinds of gigs. "They didn't pay their dues busting their asses as barbacks, they've got no idea what it's like being in the weeds, no understanding of speed and efficiency, and they can't pour anything that isn't on their precious menu or isn't a two part mixed drink." Years later I can understand that view and maybe see some truth in it if the bartender working those gigs has only ever worked in that environment and never actually worked in a bar.

But. Come to find out, a lot of the guys working those gigs are veteran bartenders. Guys who learned the trade, put in their time, and realized that there is a gently caress ton of money to be made doing that kind of bartending. I know guys that work 4-6 nights a month and walk with more in tips than I do putting in 40 hours every week at my bar. I'll talk some poo poo on them when I see them, about how they aren't in the trenches like the rest of us "real bartenders" but it's mostly just for show and my ego. Bartenders that figured out a way to make bank without having to deal with all the other bullshit, they've got my respect and my envy.

However, "bartenders" that have only ever worked catering and country clubs? They still don't know poo poo from apple crisp.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

pokchu posted:

I can understand that. I've been doing the private scene for roughly nine years now, and it's such a huge change that I don't think I could go back to a high volume college bar (which is where I started, that and gay bars). The knowledge required is definitely different, as well. Instead of a catalog of drinks, I probably only get thirty or so with any regularity, but need a much higher working knowledge of the ins-and-outs of wine and whisk(e)y. It might not have the absolute highs as standard bartending, but there's something to be said about having health insurance, vacation/pto, and the ability have a life (or in my case, wife) outside of work.

You are in a good place, man. Don't let anyone tell you different. You've got what all of us wish we had, seriously.

Health insurance? I can get it on my own or through the USBG (bartending guild) and that means expensive or dog poo poo. Vacation? Ha! Paid time off? As many ha's as a man could type. Life outside of work, well gently caress, that's just an infinite number of ha's. I live with my old lady, we have one night out of the week that we can actually do anything together. The rest of the nights she is either in bed asleep or about to go to bed when I get home.

I'd take where you are sitting over where I'm at in less than a loving heart beat. gently caress respect, gently caress what other bartenders think. We all love this life, we love the sub-culture, we love walking into a place and bartenders knowing who we are and treating us accordingly. But that only goes so far and it's only worth so much.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

pokchu posted:

That's the best way to break a shaker glass. Just smashing it against the corner of the bar, and watching business stops as every patron stares at you wondering why you just tried to shove a martini through a bar top. Then having fun trying to cover yourself, saying, "I bet that martini isn't gonna talk poo poo anymore."

I've only ever used a glass with a shaker and I've never not been able to break the seal with my palm. But I see other bartenders using the edge of the bar constantly. I can never decide if it's because they're using ingredients that create pressure that I don't use, or if they're shaking it with far, far more ferocity than I do, or if they were just improperly trained and love having to burn a well because of broken glass.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

40 OZ posted:

Every bar here has this and the BT's whack it when someone leaves a big tip. I didn't realize it meant other things elsewhere.

We have one and it's used for exactly that. I've never seen another bar around here with one but tons of people seem to think it means last call. When we ring it at 10pm people lose their poo poo and scramble to the bar demanding to know why we're closing so early.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

blowingupcasinos posted:

Any of you bartenders go through periods of forcing yourself to drink less? I've been a pretty bad drunk lately, and I need to get this poo poo under control...

Fairly confident that all of us have. For me, it's usually a once a year thing. I'll get to a point where I find myself thinking "Alright, this is getting out of hand.." and then it's a few weeks or a month on the wagon, then strict moderation for awhile after that. Of course that moderation always decays after awhile and then it's eventually back to repeating the cycle. Best advice I can give is to just cut out the shots entirely and stick to lower ABV beers. Being completely sober sucks, so this way once liquor is out of the equation you're more likely to get sleepy or just plain full long before you get hammered.

Ultimately though, you have got to find some way, any way, to rein it in and keep it in check. If you can't, then it's time to find a new line of work. I've known several great bartenders that couldn't get out of that spiral and it's a sad and horrible thing to witness. This poo poo that we sling every night will ruin you or kill you if you let it. Don't let it.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I look like poo poo in a bikini, but I'll outdrink anyone here.

This might be the only group of people that I know where I would actually be hesitant to accept that challenge.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

nrr posted:

I've never been in a bar where I've seen a tip jar and considered the place a bad bar solely because of that.

I think it says more about the bar's crowd than the bar itself.

The bar I work at, tips jars are on the bar. Our crowd is a mix of frat/sorority types and Midwest down home country folk, all between 21-24. The bars I hang out in, a tip bucket is on the back bar or somewhere under the bar. Their crowds are a lot of industry employees, people who are more interested in a good cocktail or beer rather than a packed bar, and generally people over the age of 25.

If I walk up to a bar and I don't see tip jars my immediate thought is "You lucky fucks.." and if I do see them then "Yeah, I feel your pain.."

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Need your help, thread.

The place I work at is a cash only college bar. Among the 20+ bars within a few blocks of us, cash only use to be a fairly common thing. Now I think we're the only bar left who hasn't gotten with the times and started taking cards. My GM has been working here for 25 years. He has never dealt with cards at all, doesn't use his when out at bars, and really has no clue about the ins and outs of the whole card process. I've dealt with them fairly regularly doing guest bartending gigs around town but my experience is only on the bartender level, I'm just as clueless when it comes to the back end and end of night stuff.

We're at a point where the discussion of finally taking cards is becoming serious. I've explained to the GM everything I know about it and cleared up a lot of misconceptions he had that were keeping him adamantly against it. Then the conversation got to the end of the night stuff, how that works, what you do, and I didn't have any answers. And it's not the sort of thing I can just google to figure out.

So I was hoping a few of you could give me the step by step of what you do after you lock the door. You sort through the receipts, get all the merchant copies and then..? How do tips on cards work, what do you have to do after the fact to get those tips onto their card? How much longer are you at the bar because of card stuff every night? What kind of things am I likely completely unaware of on a night to night or week to week basis? Potential headaches that we're likely to stumble into but could avoid?

I plan on asking my bar manager friends about all this but I thought asking you guys would probably be a better source of information overall.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Thanks guys, I knew you two would respond! I really appreciate it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Tips on the card are just entered into the machine - if you're not slammed, you can do them a few at a time throughout the night, otherwise each bartender gets to spend time entering their tabs (or, if pooling, one bartender enters them all - whoever is best at reading drunken scribbles). If you are slammed, and everyone pays with a card, it can easily add 10-20 minutes or longer at the end of the shift.

How exactly does that work? (You're right about us using the bangers along side the machines from the processor and I understand this will probably vary depending on machine and software.) These machines must keep a log, so you just match up the card info on the machine with the merchant copy receipt, and adjust the original transaction to whatever it should be after adding on the tip? And just do that for each one? That's kinda how I assumed it worked, and if so, seems like it would make for a lot more time at the end of the night being as high volume as we are. But if it could be done here and there during lulls maybe not so much? This is likely going to be my biggest hurdle with the GM as he's convinced taking cards will mean he or I will be there for at least another hour every night doing this.

The organizing of tabs, common names, splitting tips, tipping out, that kinda stuff I'm not worried about. I've worked at a few places that have a similar setup to what we'll potentially have and I've got a pretty good idea on how to go about all that but tweaked for us and/or better. But things like how this adjusting for tips works, or the whole AMEX stuff, chargebacks, making an imprint of the card (I doubt we'll need this often but I sure as poo poo want one of those devices if we do), that's the kind of stuff that I don't know and absolutely need to know to sell him on making this transition.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

nrr posted:

ATMs are your friends. They stop people from leaving your bar..

That's no longer true for us and it's why I'm pushing so hard to get away from cash only. At one point a few Saturdays ago there were over a dozen drinks sitting near the wells or on the back bar. People would order, drinks got made, they'd hand us a card, we'd say "Sorry, we're cash only but there is an ATM right over there.." and they'd just leave. That's both sales lost and product wasted. And that's just what we're seeing inside the bar, who knows how much potential business we're losing because people just drink elsewhere because we're cash only. Two years ago I'd have agreed with you completely because nobody batted an eye about walking over to the ATM. Now though, in my market at least, cash only is hurting us ATM or not.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Hi, thread. I've been feeling pretty burnt out lately and decided to go back and read through this hoping to find.. something. A rekindling of the fire, some inspiration, some nostalgia to remind me why this is an awesome gig and why I love it. I dunno which of those I found but I do feel better. Thanks guys.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

As much as I've heard about buybacks over the years, I've still yet to experience it anywhere. I mean, yeah, I get comped drinks regularly but there has never been a noticeable system or pattern to the frequency. I think the bars in my market tend to use a comp tab or a certain number of comps per night. Some nights I get them and some nights they go to the hot chick that the bartender has been chatting up for the last hour.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

I was at my local dive and a question occurred to me. How many of your workplaces have a bat or other similar implement behind the bar? In or out of view of the customers? Does it get much use?

We have a bat next to the cooler door, I don't think most of the staff would even know it existed if not for all the "this guy the other night, blah blah blah, I almost grabbed the bat.." I have pulled it out exactly twice, both times just slamming it on the bar. I don't think I would ever come out from behind the bar with it, it would have to be a really loving gnarly situation. The risk of losing control of it and making a bad situation into an all out deadly one is just too high.

89 posted:

We are a speed bar. And honestly, lemon drops are a pain in the rear end to make in such situation. Unfortunately, when the waitresses get off work, that's just about the only shot outside of a Jolly Rancher or Purple Heart they'll order in loads.

What's a shot I can start making to get them off their dumb lemon drop phase?

Watermelon Pucker, strawberry liqueur and orange juice has been hands down my most well received and repeatedly order girly shot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress anyone that orders those at a crowded bar, doubly so because they inevitably would order 10+ or multiple rounds of them (or worse, start a domino effect of other customers ordering them)

I'm with the lemon drop hate and this is exactly why. It's always an order of like 8 of them and the moment they hit the bar it's "What's that?! I need 15 of those!" Repeat. You could go half a shift without making a single one but the moment that order comes in, that's the rest of your night right there.

navyjack posted:

I use 151 to clean ink stains off the bar top.

Every rookie bartender ever has been like "Holy poo poo, we serve Everclear here?!" "No, we do not. That is Sharpie remover. Don't ever touch that bottle for anything else."

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Welcome back!

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Oh hey, been meaning to post about this.

A huge thank you to you guys that gave me advice and knowledge about credit card processing and the ins and outs on how all that works. This month marks a year since we made the transition from cash only. We haven't had a single charge back, sales are up, tips are noticeably better. First couple weeks were kind of a mess but we've got systems worked out now to where this whole taking cards thing adds maybe 10 minutes to closing the bar. It's proven to be a really solid move on our part, the GM and owner are really happy with how it's worked out. But I don't think I could have gotten them to commit to the idea if not for what you guys told me. So, again, thank you. Should you find yourselves in Nebraska, drinks are on me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

One of my bartenders is going in September and I am so painfully jealous.

• Locked thread