Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
How about write a polyphonic waveform generator using PWM. Square waves are easy, and you can approximate triangle, sawtooth and sine pretty efficiently using Bresenham line/circle algorithms. I've been planning to do something like this for a while but you could probably beat me to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Has anyone had any success with the USARTs on the STM32F05xxx? I'm trying to use my LaunchPad as a passthrough to USB, but I'm not sure if it's working or not. The TX pin will light up an LED when it's active, but connecting through puTTY doesn't show my test sequence. Don't know if it's the STM32 or the LaunchPad. Maybe I'll just get one of those USB<->UART cables that are $3 on eBay.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

movax posted:

Do you have Tx->Rx set up properly? Should be crossed over, double-check the pin-names vs. what they actually are. Some people label their pins Tx and it's actually a receiver buffer where you hook up the external Rx line to it.

After we made a mistake at work swapping some PCIe lanes around in the same way, we instituted a policy where all parts with transmitters/receivers have the buffers drawn on the symbol to prevent any confusion with regard to pin names.

I literally just got it working. The example code I borrowed from was testing for some flag to be set, I figured it was never getting set, so I took out the test and now it just happily spits out characters. I'll have to watch out for that in the future though!

So fwiw, the LaunchPad (MSP-EXP430G2) can be used as a UART->USB converter if there's no chip installed. Now I just need to learn how to actually use the USART for more than just sending a test string.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Maybe this one will have better documentation than the STM32F0-DISCOVERY.

Of course the pins are ganged so you can't stick it in a normal breadboard. Looks like it'll take a bit more work out of the box.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

You can do the same thing with ripple counters as long as you're driving common cathode displays. I made a display for my LaunchPad using 74LS393s, then immediately forgot about it once I got an HD44780 LCD. It only needed 2 wires though (increment, reset) and some patience.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I just realized TI sends out free samples of chips and such, so I picked up an MSP430 chip just to say I've played with one.

Don't forget to buy a LaunchPad for less than five freaking dollars shipped so you can program it, also it comes with two of the value line chips. I'm guessing you might have some kind of programmer already though.

Also be careful because a lot of the lowest-cost MSP430s just have a wimpy serial interface that only does SPI and I2C, so make sure it has UART/USCI if that's important to you.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Arcsech posted:

It's made (and therefore presumably documented by) Texas Instruments.

All their documentation is like that.

If you think TI documentation is sparse you should check out ST's microcontroller docs. I had a much harder time figuring out STM32F0 versus MSP430 stuff.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

Their MSP430 stuff is good, and I've found their general IC stuff is okay. Their DSP and ARM documentation is not as nice in my experience.

Ok, maybe this is just a common theme with ARM µC documentation. I'll have to see how the STM8 documentation measures up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds interesting, but my Google Fu is failing me - I'm not sure what toolchain I should use, or how to write the files and everything. Seems like there's a lot of one-off options out there for OSX but no commonly agreed-upon answer, especially for something that seems relatively basic like assembly programming. A newbie's guide would be really helpful, especially if it's OSX-specific! I might also hunt down a book or something for some guidance...

I'm at work right now so I can't reference much, but hit me up later and I'll try to find some of the info I used when I was hacking on the Nintendo DS

Hint, arm assembly is really niche and there aren't really any in depth guides. I learned a lot by disassembling homebrew demos

• Locked thread