Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheIllestVillain posted:

I didn't think QPR were that liquid, did they get him on a free transfer?

They're backed by Tony Fernandes, and he's talking the same old BIG FIVE-YEAR PROJECT WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE LOOK HE USED TO PLAY FOR REAL MADRID stuff that all the other clubs who murdered football and then collapsed under the weight of their own hubris did

But this time it's different because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TraderStav posted:

Just sounded different, that's all. Remember I'm American?

Reminder that the city of Newcastle is officially referred to as "Newcastle upon Tyne".

This is partially to differentiate it from Newcastle-under-Lyme, which is a suburb/satellite town of Stoke. It also denotes as to who the fog on the Tyne belongs to.

LEARN STUFF WIN PRIZES

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

luvd posted:

Still good enough for us.

Oh, to be damned by faint praise.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Reminder that Manchester City once spent £40m on Sergio Aguero, a man with 50 caps for Argentina and one of the most prolific strikers in world football for the previous five years. He once almost single-handedly beat Barcelona and is married to the daughter of the second-greatest football player of all time. He came on for 20 minutes against Swansea and scored a couple of easy goals.

In the morning, at least one newspaper ran the headline, "A STAR IS BORN".

jyrka posted:

I wonder if that's the worst team whose shirt he's worn. Maybe he's performed in Glasgow?

I'm certain I've seen one of him in a Brighton shirt. However, I would pay good money to see any major singer of raps wearing an MK Dons shirt, or indeed trying and failing to get a "Milton Keynes" chant going while playing to people from Milton Keynes, in Milton Keynes, which is the place you're most likely to find people who hate Milton Keynes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Leon with a Zero posted:

Can anyone find that youtube of i think its a talksport pundit? and a caller calls him up to complain that of course he should know players that have won the champions leauge, just because they dont play in the prem.

It's a Youtube of a City fan calling in to Talksport to poo poo on the presenter for suggesting that he'd never heard of David Silva or Yaya Toure and that City should buy "proven" players like John Terry instead. He just rips on him continually for about five minutes solid.

Once you've heard that and the "he's nae finish, he's only 26" one, you've basically approximated all sports talk radio ever.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Some impressions from the Allianz Arena after the last Bayern home fixture of 2012:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Kraftwerk was playing all the way through this.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Redundant posted:

There's a difference between not criticising the player and actively criticising the fans for being anti-diving though which is in effect what he did in what I quoted. There's also a difference between going down when you're fouled, going down at the slightest touch and going down without any contact at all. The first is a bit of a grey area because different people will have varying opinions on what a "foul" is so that is up to the ref, the other 2 are out and out dives though and should be punished, not applauded or condoned. The issue is that it's really hard to spot a dive at full speed from sometimes less than favourable angles which then leads into the issues of risk/reward that I mentioned in my last post. Only changes to the rules of the game will change that and having respected pundits come out and effectively say "he's doing the right thing" makes those changes less likely because it makes it seem like it is "part of the game".

In many ways that's the point he's making, though. He's saying it's the job of the associations to put in place rules regarding contact and diving and then to apply them, not the players. He's not saying that you can't change anything, but that it's not Gareth Bale's job to uphold a code of chivalry when he's been fouled and is "within his rights" to go down. Particularly when quite often if a player doesn't go down when fouled the referee will ignore it.

I watched the show, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with him entirely, but he's not endorsing cheating as much as he's saying that professional sportspeople are always going to look for the maximum advantage they can gain at the margins of the law and that they're not going to stop just because it makes you sad.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

jyrka posted:

Why did they do that?

Same reason you would hire a call girl as CEO and then marry her

So there's something for ESPN to point cameras at and talk about

sassassin posted:

Can't even sell out their ground against Liverpool. Pretty shameful.

Mansfield aren't legally allowed to fill their entire capacity since they only have two stewards, one of which is a middle-aged anorexic woman who will talk to you at length about how all her teeth are falling out

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Of course there was a narrative. Most media pundits speak entirely in narratives because they can't understand the game at any deeper level. "TUNE INTO THE BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE ON SUPER SUNDAY TO SEE UNITED'S DODGY KEEPER gently caress UP LIVE IN HD", and then you spend all of half-time replaying the goals and implying that De Gea could have saved that if only he'd been eight feet tall and made out of pure synthetic ruby.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

DickEmery posted:

So the media are anti-De Gea but any sort of pro-utd bias, that's just crazy talk yeah?

Saying the media have biases and exist on flimsy narratives is different to suggesting that the referees or the FA, and that should be obvious to any sensible person. If you're saying that the media have a pro-United bias because incidents involving United get five times more press coverage (consider the amount of words dedicated to any single instance of "Alex Ferguson said a thing" compared to the time Alan Pardew pushed over a linesman and then kicked him to death while laughing) then that's almost certainly true, and applies to Liverpool and a couple of other teams (to a lesser extent) as well.

Hoops posted:

Of course they can, but it doesn't sell papers. They spend more time watching football than 99.9% of fans, but the narratives are what sells to most people. Every single football fan talks in narratives all the time, it's impossible to avoid.

Well, you'd think that, but I'm convinced that Jamie Redknapp has never seen a game of football in his life. Again, this is one of the reasons why Neville has the popularity he has, in that he's able to talk about an issue without reducing it to a meaningless collection of footballing memes. They're not reacting to events they've seen, they're fitting events they've seen around an existing decision they've made, based on nothing. If someone has space to score at a corner, it's because zonal marking is a bad system invented by poofs. If Andre Villas-Boas loses a game of football, it proves that getting rid of Harry Redknapp was a travesty. If Frank Lampard scores a goal, he's sending a message to Rafa Benitez.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

Well I've never felt old until now

The best is still the one where someone asked Phil Jones his opinions on Euro 96 and he had none because he was four

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

belgend posted:

Yeah Americans, the obvious public for St Patrick's Day

They are the main market, yes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

If anyone wants to hear Benitez talk about chess for 10 minutes, here it is:

http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/x/FTP/RafaChess.mp3

Seems appropriate.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

e: I think Dudley got the first sacking call correct by stating Hughes? Or did Di Matteo go before him? I don't recall.

It was Di Matteo, which ruined thousands of bets on Mark Hughes, who was sacked literally two days later.

I remember laughing at it at work and then also we laughed more when someone said that Benitez was favourite for the job.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Lladre posted:

Why is the keeper chewing gum. If he didn't chew gum while playing maybe his concentration would be better.

He's American. It's legally required for all Americans to constantly be chewing, save while sleeping or dead.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I was led to believe that Australian football is purely centered around ethnic violence. Very little was featured. B-

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

T. Finninho posted:

Congratulations, you are 24 hours better than Madrid in getting embarrassed & knocked out of the semi finals of the Champions league.

Do you know who else doesn't get jokes? GOM. GOM doesn't get jokes. You may draw your own conclusions.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

KoldPT posted:

This is what defeat looks like.
Porto scored a goal on minute 90+1, probably taking away the championship from Benfica.

I was working on the basis that he was devastated at the prospect of watching Stoke vs Tottenham, but that makes nearly as much sense.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Here's some Southampton players looking less than thrilled to be at a Craig David show.

Is this a world tour of the M3, or have I significantly underestimated Craig David's global appeal

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm just curious how cheap the next advert will be that appears

I will accept 10 (ten) British pounds to insult a Premier League manager on this, the world's most troll-free football forum

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Remember the time that an owl came onto the pitch in Finland and then it was more interesting than the whole history of Finnish football and so they cancelled the game and 60,000 people cheered an owl for 30 minutes instead

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Yeah, I think you may have missed the protests thread in GBS. That is a picture from some protests outside the Maracana. Apparently not all is well in paradise right now.

Wait, riot police? At a South American football game? That's pretty amazing, right there.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

jyrka posted:

None of the little information bits are fair and balanced in my opinion but if I had to say one important thing that was left out, it would be the fact that EPL is a much bigger league than GBL(German Bundes Liga) as illustrated by ticket prices and TV deal money.

To be fair, they don't mention either that City sell approximately eight tickets for £299 and the rest are far more expensive

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

If you don't want to see a lot of sound and fury regarding Arsenal players doing something largely pointless and irrelevant, I'd avoid TRP until around May-time

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Should really have taped up that ring, dangerous that.

Tbh, if I was playing against Scholesy, my main injury concern would not be his wedding ring

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vaginal culture posted:

Navas will probably be poo poo and Dzeko is their best striker IMO.

This is true and Navas will start every game

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I'd take a Holloway fine at 7/2.

Although I think that's a play on the fact he generally talks a lot of poo poo, but unlike Colin Wanker won't accuse the referee of being blind, a cheat, or a blind cheat.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Can someone tell me any cool places boro tweets come from that site crashes my chrome??

I just checked, and the Boro tweets are coming from... inside your house.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

Is that the Asian version of a keg tapping? I'm assuming that's Sake.

Considering how happy Fergie looks, you'd have to think there's booze in there

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hegav posted:

Sportingintelligence with a Premier League world map.

This is how Ian Wright actually sees the world

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

didn't include "DENNIS BERGKAMP OHHHAWHOAOOO"

voted one

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Guitar_Hero posted:

its the last clip in the video

So it is.

Voted four.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

You'd expect them to find that funny, really. They're clearly eleven.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

peanut- posted:

Ronaldinho's got new teeth

Did he wear down his old ones?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Yeah he's awesome. There's an old boy that sat in front of me at City who always used to come on his own, I used to see him at Maine Road too, we talked a reasonable amount and I really liked him, but then in the middle of last season he just stopped coming to games and his seat was always empty, I fear the worst :(

I wouldn't, he's probably just a plastic. He'll be back next time City win something, assuming a way is invented for humans to live into their 170s.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Sin Dios posted:

I loving hate how conmebol keeps inviting Japan to the Copa America, they're the only confed who ruins their regional tournament with countries from another continent entirely and all because of some money deals, I hope Japan wins it so they realize how stupid it is.

It has a lot to do with the fact that there are only ten nations in CONMEBOL, so you either have to have two groups of five, invite two teams to make three groups of four, or tell Bolivia and Ecuador that nobody likes them and they should gently caress off.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Has anyone yet established if Daniel Sturridge is actually Suarez attempting to get around his ban by playing in blackface?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I wonder what face Phil Jones made when he saw it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

pissy smelliott posted:

Are there any other circles anywhere

The amount of trophies Arsenal have won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

There are probably better books discussing the full range of Sports Rehabilitation Techniques on the market today, you're just paying for the cover

• Locked thread