Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Never thought I'd see an IFS/IRS Jeep concept I actually don't hate on first sight.

Body styling isn't really my type, but ground clearance looks great and it appears that it would be pretty drat good in a high speed desert environment if the suspension was tuned properly.

e: Just read the placard :aaa:

40 mile lithium ion plus a DIESEL aux engine? :aaaaa:

IN AN AMERICAN BRANDED AUTO? :aaaaa:

110mpg? :hawaaaafap:

No one wake me up, don't tell me it's just a concept vehicle, I'm just fine right where I am.

This. Please dear god make this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Quite the influx of tuner diesels in here.

quote:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 31, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I would say "Self-Propelled Gun".

Interesting. The British Abbot (and its replacement S90) does have a turret, and is an SPG.

My catchall has always been that if it can fire the main gun while moving, it's a tank, if it's meant to be stopped and used as a field gun, it's an SPG.

SPG describes more of an artillery piece, like you said, stops and fires. Assault guns are mobile, often turretless, and capable of firing on the move.

Its an Assault Gun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_gun

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 5, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f841sP_mtyE

drat you Audi, just bring it back, makes more Sport Quattros. In this body style...

PLEASE!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grover posted:

Normally, I'd post antics like this in the stupid poo poo thread (or not at all), but I like what he's done to that tractor, and must admit... though youtube has plenty of tractor drifting and burnouts and gimmick poo poo, this is the first time I've ever seen someone actually smoke the tires doing an open-road burnout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHl24QynOM

Sweet mother, that is the best tractor in the world

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kotaru posted:

Anyone else remember these? Found mine after cleaning out the last of my move boxes. Official ID badge of the AI cool kids club. :colbert:

I never got one :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Friend spotted this at the track.

Its awesome...if it works. But how?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

All I can figure out is, while neat and creative, that was an utter and total waste of time and effort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

MR2

It made it around the race track once before breaking. :v:

I wish I could hear that run, that must have been fantastically loud.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That is awesome. Wonder what they were using as far as transmission?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So apparently Mazda made a W12 engine in the late 80's/early 90s. And when I say W12, I don't mean it in the VW-two-VR6s-slapped-together way. I mean a loving W.

http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t671.html

Magnesium heads? :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Magnesium oil pan, too.

Magnesium isn't a problem in large blocks unless you really, REALLY pour a lot of heat into it. Like say an engine compartment fire that's been going for a few minutes. Other than that it's pretty reasonable stuff.

Oh I'm quite aware it won't just burst into flames, but it causes issues and seems like overkill outside of racing special build.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

People who hate the Prius are stupid and should rethink their position.

I hate the Prius. But I also hate this truck. I'm so confused.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance. It is not a great car if you enjoy driving cars. After driving one, I understand why people are always driving slowly in front of me in them, it's because the car begs you to drive it slowly.

Its a farce though, its a supposedly 'Green' car that is anything but as far as its construction, the only thing efficient about it is its fuel milage. That is about it.

Like you said, its an appliance, but not a particularly good one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Plus for all the poo poo we give it, the Prius is one of the few cars that still upholds Toyota's old reputation for making solid cars. It may not be fun, nor particularly eco-friendly in the big picture, but it's a model with, as far as I know, no major issues or design flaws like other cars tend to have.

Guess that is why they recalled 2.77 Million worldwide for 2005-2009 Prius.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The waste generated in the mining/refining/production of all the rare earth metals that go into the prius more than offset the ecological gains generated by its "good" gas mileage.:ssh:

Don't forget the higher starting retail price.

In the end, if you like the Prius, fine. But arguing that it is some sort of mythical solution is rather foolish considering its manufacturing costs on the environment compared to other green vehicles. I'd be lying if I didn't agree they are comfy and have a nice interior compared to the new Jetta TDIs, which feel kind of plasticy, and I hate the DSG transmission, I'd much rather they keep the 6 speed manual.

Its like something out of a Sci Fi...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

They seem to be quite reliable, have decent interior space, and get around fairly efficiently. I'd say that's a decent appliance. That's not to say other cars are not a better "green" solution, but I don't think the Prius is a bad car. I definitely have no desire to own one.

Maybe we should ask the professor?

I agree, I can't call them BAD, that is for sure. Like I said, if you like it, what is the point in me telling you that you are wrong? Its your taste and choice.

But its not as green as it was made out to be, except for its city fuel economy.

And poor professor, he just wants a home :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

Conspicuous consumption.

The greatest irony being it still gets better mileage than the H2 or H3.

The 6.5 is rated for 14MPG but the H2 is rated for 10.4 MPG on average.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dMf8j3rBzqY

Audi Quattro Rally car chops a telephone pole in half.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

My friend is a huge Audi fanatic and has one of these, if I remember right he picked it up for less than $3,000 and has put $5,000 worth of work into it.

A quick CL search yielded this; not exactly what's in that video but I believe it's all the same stuff in a wagon
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3431954993.html

Buy it buy it buy it BUY IT BUY IT

WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT IT YET?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Because I just bought a $4,000 rock :smith:

I should return that and tell the girlfriend to chill for a lil' bit while I putt around in the garage :downs: I could even get rid of the IRL for it!!

Quite buying crystallized carbon you fool!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bob NewSCART posted:

When a girl demands a diamond ring from you or else she'll leave you, it's probably a good idea to just cut your losses right there

I'm pretty sure that would end it for me.

"So you judge my value by crystallized carbon that I present you, otherwise my love might not be unconditional? HAHAHA! :byewhore:"

But it might be a different situation for you.

To contribute:

If only they had put it in the R8 like they said they might, then I would still never be able to afford it :(

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 14, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Rocket Salad posted:

What the hell is going on here

Edit: Oh, look.

Anyone know what it is? Looks kind of like a twin engined VW Fox but I can't find any info, just pics.

I just know its a VW Fox, not much beyond that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

The H1 most certainly doesn't get only 5mpg (based on fuel consumption of an LAV-25), it actually gets closer to 15mpg (Source).

edit: Which is also better than the H2

drat, beat me, but I was going to chime in: Yeah, the actual H1 gets WAY better milage, the later models with the Turbocharge 6.5 got even slightly better (some as good at 18 MPG)

You really cannot make a fair comparison of the H1, a dedicate medium to heavy duty truck to the H2, a Chevy Tahoe with tons of weight thrown on it for (terrible) looks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered how capable the H1 is when it comes to recreational off-roading. Is it as superior as it's looks and specs suggest, compared to say a lifted land cruiser with all the suspension goodies and big tyres?

The H1 is okay, but you have to remember its original purpose wasn't so much its offroad capability, but to keep up with tanks and be able to fit in the treadmarks from the M1 Abrams and the M2 Bradley.

Its got strengths in that the wheels are individually geared down and its got better ground clearance thanks to using half shafts and no solid axles to catch in the mud.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

And people think we should bring back Group B!

But we should!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sweet Jeebus...

Is there any more info?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

neckbeard posted:

time to start trolling some friends with this

Honestly, if your friends have seen a WRC car, they know 4 cylinders can still do a lot when built professionally, so wheres the trolling?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

I've been laughing my rear end off for the last minute at this.

Its an XJ high five.

Ziploc posted:

I'd be surprised if oiling was compromised. Pickups are usually very rear biased in the sump.

Nah, its an H2, it probably broke a half-shaft getting up there.

EDIT: I'm a blind dumbass.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 19, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

If an STI can do it, it's not that hardcore of offroading.

Even more impressive, he did it mid winter on summer tires

So...I'm guessing that thing is destroyed, unless the new STIs have good skid plates.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

I think this may qualify for going so far into awful it wraps around to awesome

The car? Maybe. The stupid rear end truck nuts? Nope.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Taken by one of my friends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

There was an 8.1 gas option for the TopKick but I don't see why they'd use it for something that heavy.

Hilarious:

Looks vaguely like the AMC Eagle

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alphius posted:

When VTEC is disengaged though, do the outer followers snap back down to their cam lobes? I think that is what he was asking.
I would imagine there is a mechanism by which they are not allowed to have the pin retract unless they are at the bottom of ther lobe so there isn't any snapback. Either by special oil control or friction with the pin during a lifted state.

Well they are pushed back down by the valve spring tension, so I'm assuming they just return to position on the lower lobes like nothing happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

So I met one of my Hero's today....

Literally 1 of 2 cars that I need/want in life, the other being an F40 (or a 250 GTO).

I saw the hood/bumper in my rear view while I was on an exit ramp and could not believe what was actually coming up behind me.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd see one in the flesh, let alone driving in real life on a road. He described driving it as, "Like a truck, except when it gets past 4k it's like the Millennium Falcon."

Best. Description. Ever.

Its more beautiful than I ever imagined. :swoon:

GramCracker, could I get a copy of those pictures? Do you have them in a larger size?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 25, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dilkington posted:

Diesel's more expensive than gas where I live, plus the Golf TDI and Prius MPG are pretty much the same. For a small family that drives a lot I can see the appeal. But yeah, if you want to be environmentally friendly, buy a used Fiesta or something.

I'd recommend the TDI.

Also, the fuel mileage you get evens out the higher cost of diesel. But don't buy a TDI new, I know its appealing, but they are fairly expensive new.

kimbo305 posted:

I've not heard anything bad about the durability or reliability of the Prius. All 3 generations are running around quietly racking up miles.

I don't think the target audience cares how they drive. They're super ergonomic and have great utility. Plenty of people buy them for that, not status.
They're an incredibly un-AI car, but they're pretty awesome for the people who want to use them.

As I pass them by the boatload on the highway in my TDI :getin:

angryhampster posted:

In the US you would be hard pressed to find a diesel hatchback that matches fuel economy, space, and price of a Prius.

Who the hell keeps letting these people in AI?

Buy the Golf TDI, and laugh at the idiots in the Prius on the highway.

Or for Pete's sake, but a Ford Fiesta and have more fun than the bastards in the Prius.

KozmoNaut posted:

Wrong loving thread.

Every scumbag "rollin' coal" should be fed feet-first into a slow-turning meat grinder and the videos posted to Youtube under the title "don't be a loving douchebag".

Now this I can 100% agree with. Rolling coal is the sign of douchebags who don't understand how sooty unburned diesel will slowly (or quickly) destroy their engine, damage their turbocharger, and all around RUIN their truck.

That isn't to mention how blowing soot like that is just basically throwing unutilized power out the windows. Its unburned fuel, it means you need more air! Half of the people rolling coal are running excessively large fuel injectors without the proper turbocharger upgrade. Your engine should burn clean and clear, then you are completely burning AND utilizing all the fuel AND keeping the motor healthy

Rolling coal is loving stupid. As a diesel mechanic, I want to beat people I see rolling coal with a connecting rod and piston.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 27, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm not putting a pic in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmh-ew1swD4

I can't stand monster energy drinks and the stupid bro truck crap things like this spawn, and parts of the video are corny as poo poo, but I would sell my left nut to drive that truck.

Counterpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ouiI4jPefE

:colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Just 3 things from the first cruise night Ive been to in years. First one my truck has been to and I forgot to take a picture :/

I miss my Coupe GT :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Not to worry. The Audi 5 banger is still around and its angry

http://www.doubleclutch.ca/16913/gimme-five-5-cylinder-turbo-confirmed-audi-rs3/

Its not quite the same, they put it in an east-west config instead of its good old north south Audi 4k/5k/80/90 style.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug