Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What color is that Chevelle? I really like it. Any other pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SFH1989 posted:

It's called black pearl. You can't really tell from the pictures but in needs a paint job. I was actually surprised I don't have that many good pictures of it. My dad sold it five years ago and only got it back last last year.

No I can't tell it needs a paint job! So if I understand correctly, a black pearl arrangement is where you spray a black base coat, then the colored pearl in the clear, then more clear over that? Looks like it has a really neat effect. Does it look black in indirect lighting?

e:

Terrible Robot posted:

Your dad is so much more AI than mine, not fair :saddowns:. My dad would maybe impress the guys in SH/SC but this is soo much cooler, goddamn.

Haha yeah. Mine just does not understand vehicles as being anything more than reliable transport, and actually complains when I try to put more tools in his garage.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 26, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
My recollection is the same as your intuition: that they're there to keep the bank from eroding. I'd read before that people have done that along river banks that didn't have trees to hold the soil in place.

As an aside, it looks like you went through Coalinga (Coaling Station A). Is it as desolate a poo poo-place as I've been told?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

Goddamn.

Though it was kind of funny scrolling through all that awesome vintage class and then

*sad trombone*

It's cool if it's her Chevelle that she has restored, but what are the chances?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Root Bear posted:

There's a whole lotta :fsmug: in that driveway. I am jealous.

So there are two Camaros, a third off frame, a fastback Mustang, and a.... lovely 90s Cougar?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PhotoKirk posted:

MN12's are not lovely, they are awesome. :colbert:

I guess there are fans for anything. Can you imagine walking out of the house in the morning, looking at that driveway, and then sighing to yourself that you have to move your '69 Camaro out of the way so you can get to the car you really want to drive?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Is that what it looks like? I don't like it at all.
I guess it's the opposite of this sort of thing:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 3, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

stump posted:

I love the tweels, but are half those pics upside down for anybody else?

They're all right side up for me on Chrome.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I forgot imperial gallons even existed. Still, 47mpg is quite good.

this thread is becoming dangerously picture free, so here's a picture that popped up on my facebook this morning.

a '57 Volvo TP21 from the Swedish military... that is stock ride height and I believe stock tires. He is selling it for $10k in my state, well restored ones go for 40k. It's #621 of 720 made.

When I first saw it I assumed it was a heavy OTR truck hood and grille grafted onto a 50s passenger car. Nope, 100% stock.

Don't we have a goon here who is restoring one? I recall they're called the Sugga, which means sow or something like that?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Whoa, check out them side pipes. There's another 'o' in Toronado, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can tell which trans it has by the shape of the pan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was at the pick n pull today, and saw this:

Sorry about the framing, the rows there don't really give much room. It was sitting on a modern-ish truck frame, had an EFI mopar V8 of some kind. I think this is the oldest thing I've seen at a pick n pull. Breaks my heart thinking about them crushing that and the '58 F100 that was there, but what you gon' do.

There was also this:

And on the way home this:

Too bad there's no more cell phone pics thread, this really goes there. Excuse my wildly-aiming-phone-while-driving and also my horribly dirty windshield, and, well, the rest of the truck.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Based on the body it'd be early-to-mid 50s vintage, so an F-1.

The ??-56 body style was called the F100, I thought.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrEnigma posted:

That looks like a sports mobile. They are pretty awesome -- http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

With bullshit bro wheels so you know it never gets actually used. :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

So what are you putting the drivetrain into, the truck or the vert?

Other way around. KA into the GTR. Might need some custom headers :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Buick. Note the portholes.

E: Although, it doesn't have the side moulding. Maybe not. Can you put a Buick front end on a '55 Chevy?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like a '53-'56 by the grille, I'd lean towards the near end of that. But who knows if the big trucks were anything like the normal medium-duty pickups.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

I just wanted to point out that having an exhaust leak from the heads isn't all bad. When I'm scouring for a parking space at my college, just idling near other cars ALWAYS sets off their car alarm. Every day.

Mine's got headers and classic 40s, so I know what you mean. :D

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can get a set of long tubes for under a hundred bucks on Summit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dead Jedi posted:

This turned up in my Google+ feed labeled "Carretera Los Caracoles de Cuesta Juncal, Chile"

I tried finding it on Google Maps but no luck so far.

It's this, isn't it?
http://goo.gl/maps/l51en

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Reichstag posted:

Timber is one of the biggest industries and outside of the part where everyone lives it's all red-state. :psyduck:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Yeah, I can't say that I'm a fan either. Considering that that Camaro does occasionally see track time, at least from they've told me you'd think he'd have a better eye for the wheels.

The engine is the original 350 it came with, but I don't know what mods they've made to it. Allegedly it's putting out in the realm of 600 hp, but I haven't had a chance to really see it run.

Haha yeah, if it's making much more than half that, there's not much of the original engine left. Judging by his choice in wheels, though, it's probably just "Fahf Hunnert," I'd love to be proven wrong though. Get him to lift up the hood!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

A poor man driving an old chevy surely is a sign of stupidity?)

Yep.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the terrible thread, but...

http://www.stillruns.com/

This guy bought and abused a 72 Impala in 1988 that he's been daily driving ever since. The (very poorly designed) site is basically a tribute to his artistic neglect.

For example, he's totaled the car twice, resulting in these gems:

Before:

After #2:

This only works when the hitter has insurance and/or a job :shepspends:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just got back from a car show that shut down something like 10 blocks of downtown all day. Lots of pics, my god I never thought I'd see so many Mustangs and Bel Airs in one place. Seriously those must be the official cars of the bay area.

I'll post pics later, for now, have something else awesome:

What, no Camaros?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

There's a full build thread here :) But bear in mind most of AI will get sad because it's stupid and a big laff.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/188156-driftworks-ae86-ascar-2013-project.html

I haven't read much of that to see what idiotic bastard things they do to it, but it reminds me of this build where a guy is putting a '69 Chevelle body on a retired NASCAR chassis/drivetrain

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46268

E: Wait, just read a bit more about that 86, they aren't using the chassis/cage from the ASCAR? What's the point of that?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

G-Mach posted:

It's parked sideways in the back of his garage behind a Insight, Outback, and two EVOs. Then, he parks his truck sideways in front of his garage doors.

Ah, the Trouser Chili method. Park your non-running trucks in front of the garage.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

For all you know it was Trouser Chili. I wouldn't take it out on a track day in my home state.

Could be. TC is in Illinois if I remember correctly tho, and from a quick google that photographer is in NC. But she has a Washington phone number, so who knows :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terrible Robot posted:

Eleanor is between the GTO from xXx and the Mustang from Bullit.

It's the row started by the Thiokol Spryte snow-cat from The Shining, which is incidentally how you know this is the best "vehicles in movies" picture. :colbert:

That's the wrong Eleanor, though. The correct Eleanor is a '73 (well, a '71 pretending to be a '73).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

13 INCH DICK posted:

To be fair though at least the second one was better cinematically.

The first movie is more chase than movie, your argument is invalid. :colbert:

(someone is going to come in here and tell me that the same is true for the second one but I haven't actually seen more than ~20 minutes of it :ohdear: )

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

no, but they do make these for subarus

Do they? The tread seems to occupy the same space as part of the bumper and wheel well. Looks shopped to me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHM9bh-qlec

Image manipulation software is loving awesome these days!

Huh, guess I'm crazy. Nevermind :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terrible Robot posted:

The best vehicle in the shot is that white/brown '80s Suburban on bags.

Oh that's what that is. On first inspection I thought it was a hearse.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

Randomly parked on my street. I've never seen this shape impala before.

drat. Looks good. Looks like a '67, but it looks way more fastback than I'm used to seeing that body style in. Maybe '67 was different? I usually see '65s and '66s.

E: Yep, apparently that's a thing.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

I guess it depends how easy it is to get Simone's location from their number plate where you are.

The best is when they're a ham and have their callsign as a personal plate. You can just type that into a number of databases and get an address just like that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Thelonious posted:

The H.A.M.B. is a great forum and I lurk over there quite a lot (six-four Chevy owner). I really do like the forum, but the absolute rabid "traditionalism" is wild. Harping on people for non period mods (even so far as basic safety upgrades) is outrageous. I understand that most are the rules of the forum itself, but they're really missing out on a lot of cool poo poo by being so strict about "the old days".

It's that drat forum that has me waffling over rebuilding the wheezy old 283, or spending a slightly larger amount on a decent 350 crate motor.

Yeah. I just put together a 2-bolt 350 recently, and just the machine shop bill was $2200. Considering I supplied a core block and two sets of heads, it really doesn't make any sense when you can get a 420HP 4-bolt 383 crate for $3300. Would have saved me like a month of putting the motor together, and I probably spent about that much money overall when you consider the pieces I already had, and all the various bits from Summit. (Cam, lifters, oil pan, gaskets, that sort of thing. Adds up.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

veedubfreak posted:

Why the gently caress are quality air cooled engines so god damned expensive compared to crate 350s. When I finally get my hunk of poo poo on the road, I'm looking at around 4500+ for a decent 100+ hp engine. First world problems.

There's an obvious solution to this problem... :getin:

Thelonious posted:

I'm lookin at rebuilding the (originally rated 195 horse 2bbl 283) or a 310 horse crate 350 for not too much more. It's a summer every day driver/cruiser. The extra ponies would be appreciated, but not all that much. Especially since in good tune the 283/powerglide combo actually cracked 18mpg at 60-65mph. The 283 would probably do even better with a 200r4 behind it, but...$$.

But wouldn't it be nice to have niceties such as a one-piece rear main seal, one-piece oilpan gasket, roller cam, and so forth? Plus, don't the 283s have road draft instead of PCV and similar anachronisms?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Extra posted:

Might be a repost but too :3: to not post.

It's unsurprisingly somehow more tasteful and less rusty than the majority of 4G civics around here. Still kicking myself for not getting one.

Is that... soldered copper plumbing? Used structurally? :stare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Collateral Damage posted:

And seemingly bolted to the sheet metal of the body. :stonk:

Normally I'd assume there's some kind of tube structure inside that it would connect to, but in this case... you're probably right. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think whoever said that it is basically a powered display stand for the viper motor has the right idea.