Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rhyno posted:

I'm still butthurt that the G8 Camino never happened.

Seriously, some form of a new El Camino/ute probably would've been my next vehicle. I don't need ground clearance, prefer driving cars, and 1,000lbs haul would be enough for motorcycles and scooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

joat mon posted:

Technically, how? The only scooter feature that comes to mind that sort of fits is that one's feet go inside the frame (but one also straddles the frame, so it's a draw)
tire size? probably not a scooter
engine performance? not a scooter
handling? not a scooter
clutch? I don't know. Maybe the Akira 'bike has a CVT?

There are scooters with 16" wheels and 75 horsepower and good handling and manual transmissions (not necessarily in one bike) and there are motorcycles with 15 horsepower, poo poo handling, and CVT transmissions (also not necessarily in one bike) so none of your criteria really work.

The Akira bike has a sort of step-through frame and it looks like the rear swingarm contains the motor/trans, which would be sound criteria to make it a scooter.

Really, though, it's neither. It's a motorbike from a loving anime.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

PhotoKirk posted:

Supercharged V6? Yeah, that would be loving terrible.

Or a 5.0 or 4.6L V8.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I saw a beautiful BMW 2800CS today.

A couple more pics here: http://imgur.com/a/SjSWZ Sorry that interior shot is so horrible, I was in a hurry and didn't see how bad that glare was. Suffice to say the interior was in very good shape.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CharlesM posted:

Came across a DeLorean last night!

Hey it's Fremont! My office is just a couple blocks down 35th.

DeLoreans are weirdly exciting to see, they aren't that rare and I'm not a huge BTTF fan or anything, but that stainless is just so distinct.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Here's a Vespa 400 for page 400:

Built in France, rear-engined, three-speed, 400cc 2-cylinder 2-stroke. 14 horsepower :allears:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rhyno posted:

My father owns two Speeder's and used to own a high-railer. It's probably not a thing because abandoned lines are usually in such disrepair that you'd damage your vehicle and it's super loving illegal to run on active rails without permission. Some of the guys in his Speeder club just jumped on a random leg of track and ended up with thousands of dollars in fines and all their railcars were impounded.

One of his current speeders

drat, I was gonna post nearly this exact thing. All the guys that would be into having a highrail car would probably just have a track speeder instead.

I used to go on trackspeeder rides with my dad when I was a kid, and I do remember this one guy who had an old Jeep (Willys, maybe? Maybe newer? Definitely fold-down windscreen and open) with rail wheels mounted on it. Not a highrail setup, just replaced the wheels with railcar wheels.

I don't remember if he trailered it there or drove it to the seton point and swapped wheels. I was probably 6 or so at the time. That was a while ago.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I saw a beautiful thing today

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

InitialDave posted:

You have to give it back at the end of the year with something added to it, but which no-one can spot you've done.

Each successive winner gets a trophy 7/8 the size of the winner before.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

VikingSkull posted:

this is actually a myth :ssh:

shhh it's okay i know

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I was driving east on the North Cascades Highway in Washington today (from Mazama/Winthrop back to Seattle) and we noticed an uncommon amount of old European cars cruising by. A Mercedes 280SL. A Porsche 356, an old 911. Two red Austin Healeys back to back. Some other curvy old Britishy things we didn't recognize. A Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 (which neither of us could identify in the half-second we saw it). And they all had matching rally-type badging on the side, but we didn't get a clear look because they were all going the other way.

Eventually we stopped at an overlook and found some fellows in an 80-series Land Cruiser with GB plates with the same badging and asked them about it. They were very British and clearly wearied of being asked about it, but we got the story: they were a support vehicle, the drivers were all from England, the cars were shipped over in containers.

Then we saw this:

This is the event: Pan American Friendship Rally 2016. The Aston had other event stickers on it, from '08 and '12 including Panama to Alaska. These guys do a big trip every few years. Look at this loving entry list.

Definitely AI.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Everything about this video is beautiful. Is that a baseball diamond?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

The right weirdo will be pretty happy about this Vespa 400 but I don't know if they fetch much money.

I know of 2 rotting in storage but have never otherwise seen one in person.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some stuff I've seen locally recently.

Since I can't imagine there are that many kei firetrucks running around Washington state I'm gonna assume that came from SODO Moto in Seattle. It sure looks like this one. A friend of mine works there, I've been meaning to stop by and gawk at their wares.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TotalLossBrain posted:

Photo was taken in Richland. Next time I see the guy in his driveway I'll ask.

I grew up there :tinfoil: I'd ask where in Richland but that's getting a little too doxxy.

KakerMix posted:

Wonder where that AZ-1 came from because unless that's used as some sort of museum exemption sort of thing it is not federally legal under any circumstances. When I see an import dealer in the US doing that it call into question absolutely everything else they do. Hopefully they didn't import and sell it.
October this year is when the very first ones manufactured become legal. And that's only the ones made in October 1992.

:shrug:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Solar Coaster posted:

This Imperial was really interesting. It's a Secretary model so the passenger seat swivels backward so that the secretary can take notes on the typewriter while en route.

Not to be a dick but I don't know how hidden The Shop is considering it has a restaurant in it run by one of Seattle's most famous chefs in it, but getting to get up close with all the cars is probably a little harder than buying dinner. Super cool photos. I had no idea just how big and insane the assortment there was.

Also I know the owner of that Imperial. He sought out an era-appropriate typewriter to complete the tableau for that car. He's got a ton of rad poo poo. A Citroen DS (maybe two?), a pristine, original '67 VW bus, a couple Renauts and Peugeots, more I can't remember. Some old Vespas and weirder scooters, like NSU Primas. But most of them he keeps on his own property. I should probably give him a call soon...

Also also I'm like 90% sure this guy is my boss and it's freaking me out.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2018

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

KakerMix posted:

That's a Ranchero, right?

lol

El Camino, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Speaking of neon and kei trucks a scooter shop in Portland is planning on putting a Hayabusa motor in a neon Daihatsu.

I've watched them load that up with 2 scooters in the bed and one on the roof. They are scooter insanity