Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw a plumbing/drain company truck the other day with the registration "SH11 JOB", the second "1" being edited into a "t" with screwheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

assfucker420 posted:

Where is the JAPAN Skyline (C210) the R30, and the R31?
I think they're restricting it purely to models that had a GT-R designation, which the C210, R30 and R31 missed out on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

Close. Bias ply tires were poo poo, but the culprit here is the poo poo metallurgy and steering design. Everything then used kingpin steering, which is bulky and weak. Positive camber puts the contact patch of the wheel under the kingpin, reducing the torsional force on it(and the bearing) and reducing or eliminating bump steer. Wagons had been using this trick for centuries.
Pretty much - more simply, they didn't have a wheel design with sufficient negative offset to do it any other way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

glyph posted:

Don't know anything about it, but I saw this picture and...

Amusingly, the latest quote I saw about the new Range Rover is that the interior can be specced to be on a par with a Bentley.

I think in that situation I'd have just grabbed a couple of girls and done an impromptu video shoot to one-up carstuckgirls.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I thought that distinction was universal?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

I guess you would just call it a howitzer tank in English.
I would say "Self-Propelled Gun".

Phanatic posted:

Not really. The Swedish S-tank didn't have a turret, but it's still called a tank.
Interesting. The British Abbot (and its replacement S90) does have a turret, and is an SPG.

My catchall has always been that if it can fire the main gun while moving, it's a tank, if it's meant to be stopped and used as a field gun, it's an SPG.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

This dude saw me snapping a pic while he was in the drive through next to my work so he cruised it on around to let me take more. ITS REAL :swoon:

02 Turbos are great, and those front airdam stickers remain the most passive-aggressive thing ever fitted to a production car. Pretty certain they just couldn't find room for the German for REVO EVOM.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

This engine

in this vehicle

is stock fitment.

South Africa only Landrover with a BMW M52 motor.
Coincidentally, SA was also the only place to get the V8 Sierra and the M30 E30 out of a dealership.

I'm pleased to see this. I've always thought a BM straight-six would work really well in a Landie, nice that it was actually done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

McMadCow posted:

I thought it was in reference to taking pictures and looking at your LCD screen to confirm exposure/composition.
Given how some people photograph cars, you can see why people would discount this option.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

YF19pilot posted:

There is something to be said about the old coach built cars. And the fact that all too often the old coach builders are barely remembered as trim levels on various cars, luxury or not. It must've been fun knowing that every luxury car was a one-off in it's own way.
It's not even a luxury thing. My dad's Wolseley is one of only 148 chassis built, of which two went to this particular coachbuilder, of which his is the only survivor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
poo poo happens. But that one was the driver's fault.

Sometimes mistakes get you killed. If you're going to teach people only one sentence to prepare them for driving, that's probably a good choice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
100EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... :supaburn:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Root Bear posted:

almost 500hp.

Root Bear posted:

original front suspension
Riiiiight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

How about posting just the picture?
Check the Antiquities thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Moxie Omen posted:

I expect some BLARGH WRONG THREAD IDIOT reactions from this.
I don't really mind the style, it's the red/gold thing that looks weird to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that a 22b?

Hashal posted:

Haha, I'd love to hear the issue with the pictures I've posted. Sorry man, didn't realize everyone has to like what you do and isn't allowed to say otherwise.
He's accusing you of making contentless posts, which is ironic, given that such posts would still be more appealing than that... thing.

Anyway, speaking of content, I've long known about the Rover jet-engined car project, but I never realised that Fiat built one too:

It's like a Batmobile 300SL

More here: http://www.fuelzine.com/news/design-detail-002-54-fiat-turbina.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I love the cars A5H posts and will support him until the day I die.
Driving one at speed would probably resolve that situation for you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What is this?
Looks like a Toyota Carina E (or Corona, depends where that picture's from). I want to say it's a BTCC car, but I think they were running Castrol livery back then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Gordon Freeman designed Porsches?
Nonsense. Bentleys are the silent sports car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Captain McAllister posted:

Is...is his shirt embroidered 'FAP'?
Ok, I'll bite: That's Ferdinand Alexander Porsche.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Dude, it's a Camry, come on

Yep, you're right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PreacherNutshot posted:

"Dick in a Porche" would have been infinitely funnier than "Dick in a Box"
"Porker? I hardly know her!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No picture, I'm afraid, but I just saw a guy street-parking in Knightsbridge, on a Friday night, in the pissing rain, in a Ferrari. F40.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
BRB, taking the Missus to M&S, hopefully she won't buy too much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monkeytennis posted:

Is this at Meadowhall?
Sorry, no, Bluewater, I was dahrn sarf for some stuff this weekend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boomerjinks posted:

Absolutely had no idea that was a thing, now I'm pouring over it in Google Maps. That is AMAZING.
:psyduck: You're pretty much the definitive movie-car freak, and it's in The Italian Job, one of the most famous car movies of all time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No it isn't !

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

I think 'Touring' refers to the racing series, not the bodystyle. You'll notice the M1 says 'Group 4' and the E30 says 'Group A.'
:thejoke:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't remember a character called Heez in Bubblegum Crisis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Valt posted:

How was it being a golf tdi? Are you always a golf tdi or are you sometimes a regular golf?
If it's really early in the morning, he's got a red I.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Time attack is no different to hillclimb (well, I guess you could argue that it's easier to get back to the start), I really can't understand why anyone questions whether it's a "legitimate" form of racing or some poo poo like that. Lots of competition is done on time vs time rather than wheel to wheel, why is it time attack that gets everyone bent out of shape?

Also, Saab B204-powered Astra, anyone?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/astra-gsi-saab-turbo-conversion-not-vxr-sri-gte-rs-/230869090202?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c0debf9a

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 27, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Honestly, if I lived somewhere that was into halloween costuming as much as most of the US seems to be, I'd be knocking up things like that for my friends' kids.

The trouble is, they've spent all that effort building it, but it'll never actually go castor-to-castor with a Maclaren or a Baby Jogger. Pointless ego-massaging.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
[redacted] Yeah, I missed on that one, might as well admit it. Will try harder next time.

Also, just so people don't think hillclimbing is averse to weird poo poo:

Edit: Should have said, it's a Farley Mk2. Apparently quite effective, but good lord it looks goofy.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 28, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that in a 205? I think I've seen more Mi16 swaps than I have 405 Mi16s!

You going to the NEC classic car show in a couple of weeks?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Venturi Atlantique?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

The 2CV however, is badass & can take an ungodly amount of abuse, giving out hippy-choking clouds of smoke doing so. It's the only vehicle I've heard garnered literally no benefit from anything better than 2-star petrol back when you could still get that poo poo.

Actually, the hippy-choking clouds of smoke were either Gauloises or the heater tubes being alight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SkunkDuster posted:

A video of a guy that fabricated and built a 12cyl motor with about 1cc of displacement. It appears to be powered by compressed air, but still - :drat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq95SZm44IM

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Keyless entry may be activated by approaching vehicle within six feet. If normal keyless entry function is not activated, step back to ten feet and direct key to vehicle's window with an overarm motion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Supercar say :what: