Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kimbo305 posted:

Except for the RHD road and the slightly off vegetation, that scene looks like the US. All the cars are available here.

Except for the mid 90's commodore Ute you can just see the corner of in front of the Aston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

This just popped up on my facebook.

Thats gotta be asking for trouble...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Consensus on the aus 4wd forums is that if he didn't have the camper trailer that would have ended extremely badly.

He proper hosed that one up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

A '93 Defender 110 NAS. 1 of 500 and worth $60-70K on average. Some really nice examples top six figures. I'd trade all my cars to have one.

Those tires are OEM size. There's an eternal argument over which is better, tall and skinny or fatter tires. Here's a whole paper about the advantages/disadvantages. http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

In Australia, thats a $7500-10K vehicle.... :psyduck:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

^^^ the Chicken tax is only on trucks with beds, if it has back seats it doesn't count.

A Ranger Rover Sport starts at $60k in the US, a Discovery/LR4 at $49k. A Land Cruiser 200 is almost $80k to start.

Thats seriously not a huge amount less than the AU$ price of a 200 series- Its kinda surprising considering how much of a massive markup aussie cars generally have on em.

the RRS is $110K drive away for the base spec and $188K for top of the line one, the Disco 4 starts at $77K for the TDV6 and jumps to $140K for the V8 range topper.

A Defender 110 station wagon is $55K drive away!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Came across a 2013-ish Chevrolet Colorado testing here in town today, with at least one particularly interesting marking:

'Small' truck with a small diesel? Yes please. Though calling it small isn't saying much, it's basically narrower than a Silverado but not really any shorter in height.

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/colorado

2.8L Duramax apparently

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

holy loving poo poo.

I want to know who they bought everything behind the motor from, and how they made it not shatter every piece of the drivetrain.

e: for that matter I want to know how the gently caress the guys with the red caravan I posted made that poor little automatic transaxle survive 35psi in an SRT4. Those things poo poo themselves all the time bolted to stock V6s.

Nissan patrol drive trains are loving HUGE compared to most other things out there- 11 or 12" diffs, the manual gearbox alone weighs close to 200kg, transfer case is another 75kg on its own.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

The Atlantic has an excellent photojournal section, and today they're covering the Dakar rally. Look at Russia go!:black101:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/the-2013-dakar-rally/100441/

Theres something properly mental about launching a 10-15 tonne truck off a sand dune at 100+ kph, and then doing it over and over again for 8500kms

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I dunno if this makes the guy the most awesome dad in the world, or the most bogan dad in the world... either way its drat cool!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/is-this-mini-land-cruiser-owner-the-luckiest-boy-in-australia/story-fnet085v-1226577840954

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

toaster_pastry posted:

meh @ those signs.

oh how I will miss you, Mr. Echo (whom did this on lowered suspension as well)

Adventure is defined as taking inapropriate equipment into out of the way places.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

It reminds me of the Schwimmwagen. Like you should be able to drive it through rivers or something.

Theres something giggle worthy of a WW2 Nazi vehicle wearing American BFG tyres

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

Why is the cam cover so tall? I can't imagine why it would need to stick up so high above the bolt faces.

isnt there essentially the equivalent of a second set of cams in there for the VTEC gubbins? I can see that adding some height

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Add a picture before your probated man!

Thats probably the best definition of "I hosed Up" I've ever done....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Cakefool posted:

That would make it a Citroen SM, truly automotive insanity.

Saw one of them in person in Adelaide the other day... Truly a weird looking vehicle

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Apologies for no pics - wasnt going to rehost and I'm not a dick so not hot link

http://engineeredtoslide.com/2013/05/ets-drift-ute-shakedown/

This is bloody incredible.

I'm bitterly disappointed that there's a hilux grille on the front, but an SR20 under the bonnet. Should be a turbo 3RZ-FE

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Post Glowing Turbo/Headers Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWCo3lDjH8

1000 Horsepower XR6 Turbo motor glowing nicely

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

More cars should come with cooled glove boxes for drinks, that's loving awesome.

Toyota's had cooled center consoles for the 80 series, 100 series and 200 series Landcruiser's in the Sahara spec.

The 100 series will hold a two six packs of cans and get down to 0 degrees!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Is that a Merc L series? We had a merc 4x4 L911 as a fire truck and while it couldnt go more than about 80kph on the highway, nothing would stop the drat thing offroad

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I hope it still fits in your shed with the lights and aerials on the roof! Our Scania Bulk Water Carrier pings all its aerials on the shed doors at my fire brigade.

Tho the first time they drove the new MAN out at work, they took the exhaust stack off because the door wasnt quite all the way up!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I wonder why Audi dont get involved back in WRC? Take a 5cyl turbo TT-RS, Strip it out cage it and throw it into the fray. Would scare the poo poo out of a few manufacturers who remember the Group B days!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Modus Man posted:

$2.91!? Hot drat that is sexy! I think my heart skipped a beat, please post more pictures of her. I hope you don't think I'm being sarcastic I put a combined 40,000 miles a year on two vehicles that get 15.6 mpg and 15.4 mpg and I put 30,000 a year on my work truck that gets 11.5 mpg. I filled up 24 gallons for $3.65 last night.

I paid A$5.97 per gallon for diesel today, and that was at the cheap price of $1.58 a litre instead of $1.62 a litre!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

92 is hovering around $1.50ish, 98 is up around $1.70-1.80 a litre

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

My Miata's odometer backlight seems to be now operating on this principle and goes on/off as I drive around our lovely roads. I have to wonder though, how did the guy know that his rear blinker was in need of a fixin'?

every one of my jap cars would start blinking fast if a bulb was burnt out- bet his was too

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

Too awesome to languish in the YouTube thread, this is pure AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpJKNqkUBM

A good mate had the straight 2.5L from an 05 forester in his 88 L series, THAT was stupidly fast because it weighed gently caress all!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Parked in downtown Vancouver, I get a kick out of well-maintained utility vehicles.

God drat, you don't see 60 series that are that clean in Australia, let alone the frozen north!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I think I can see THREE shocks on that front corner of the hilux, so its definately leaning towards a poo poo job rather than something engineered

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That is remarkable, it technically isn't rain-proof! And if you decided to ford a decent sized creek you'd be swimming in the cabin.

Thats why Land Rover in their infinte wisdom decided to drill a stack of drain holes in the bottom of the floor- That way any water that makes it through the door seals will drain away. Apparently water refuses to flow INTO holes drilled in a floor pan in Britain.

Toyota door seal supremacy. I was in here for at least 15 minutes bogged and not a single drop made it into the cabin.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can run a Subaru transmission too but I think you have to do some internal conversions (to knock out the transfer case/centre diff, as well as reverse the gears).

There's a guy here who added an EJ25 turbo to his Vanagon Syncro. He had to do surprisingly little fab until it came to the exhaust. He used an aftermarket bellhousing and input shaft splined for a Subaru clutch instead of an adapter plate, and mated the whole mess to a massively overbuilt VW trans.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=33134.0

That guy has a MASSIVE overinflated sense of what powdercoat can and cant do...

Sanding off zinc coating to replace it with powder coat because its tougher? I've got powdercoated gear on my car thats had a single rock chip and its now flaking powder coat off like mad because surface rust got in below it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The aussies could do Sydney to Perth.. and try not to be murdered on the way

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mine lock closed from the inside, how do they make it easier? Break the quarter window because it's less visible?

One coathanger, broken in 2, was enough to pop the locks and open the quarter vents in my old hilux, which then made it trivial to lean in and wind down the window and unlock the door.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

El Scotch posted:

From R/T's initial Mustang review:

I can't stop laughing at the car faces. The 911 looks like a blowfish and the Ferrari looks like it belongs in a kabuki theatre.

The Porsche looks like the van in the back pinched its bum.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I know what you're getting at but a Land Cruiser with the 5.7l engine is going to cost at least 80k everywhere else in the world, usually much more, so there's not much to complain about in that sense. In some countries you can get one with a V6 for less, but in the US you can get a 4Runner with the V6 for the above mentioned $35k and it's substantially the same car. The KDSS system is relatively simple really, all it is is just small shocks that the roll bar mount to and I don't see how hitting a rock is going to break it any more than a truck without the system, it seems like to me that the default failure mode would just set the car to "offroad" mode all the time.

EDIT: Welp I've just talked myself into buying a 4Runner.

Not shocks- Hydraulic cylinders. Its a stunningly simple system too- replace one front and rear swaybar links with two small hydraulic cylinders and then link the outlet ports together top/top and bottom/bottom. When your going round a corner, the whole car leans to one side, the hydraulic cylinders "lock" and the swaybar takes over.

Offroad, front wheel up and rear wheel down on the same side, one cylinder is extending, one is compression and fluid flows between the two essentially unhooking the swaybars.

As for landcruiser prices- they are loving expensive EVERYWHERE, and the drat things hold their value. The only 200 series the US gets is the V8 petrol "Sahara" grade, and thats AU$122,000 onroad, with the 4.6L V8 petrol. If you want the 5.7L V8, you have to look at the Lexus LX570 and thats AU$165,968 onroad.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

the HDJ80 landcruiser stood out there- they sold the identical drat chassis with the FZJ80 in the USA, so why the hell cant you bring in the turbo diesel version- apart from the steering wheel being on the other side?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Our favouite mental pommy shed tinkerer has done it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXWspo5hrc

60mph!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

I really wish they'd cut the body a bit more and gone with 3-4" less lift, but hey, it's pretty awesome the way it is too.

I was thinking that too- Looked a tad sketchy withe CoG that high up but that kinda seems to be the "thing" for US trucks.

Chop the guards out to get another few inches of clearance, lower the whole mess by 3-4" and you'd have a way more better offroad vehicle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

This is awesome enough to start, and then at about 1:20 things get nuts. I usually just check out the awesome and then click out, I'm really glad I hung around for that one.

My only thought is that, having driven skid steer loaders for long enough, is that skid steer + mud = horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY bogged as you build up a massive wedge of poo poo under you with the tyre sidewalls and essentially lift yourself off the ground

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Phillip Island is a spectacular circuit too:

Nice flowing track, plenty of elevation change, Only one real hairpin but even the cars arent really buttoning off that hard for that one.
Click for Huge

Imagine belting down the main straight at 300+ kph and seeing THAT. Track just drops off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I had a HUGE (like, 700mm long) 1:350 model of the Tirpitz by Tamiya that i spend at least 6 months building. Big expensive thing and i was hugely proud of it.

One of the features of it was that it was motorised and you could actually float it out on a pond! It had a motor and gearbox for the twin screws and everything. Where they passed through the hull it had little boxes you pumped full of supplied grease to form a seal that kept it mostly dry.

Well... mine didnt.... halfway across our dam on the farm it sprung a leak on a prop shaft, started to take on water, listed, took on even more water, and sunk... In 6m of murky muddy water. :(

By the time mid summer came around and we had pumped the dam dry it was ruined.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Use 3 "C" batteries per hour of operation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Considering I can walk into my local tractor shop and buy parts for my 1956 Massey Ferguson FE-35 off the shelf in Australia... probably not that hard.

Tractors are worked by farmers until they literally split in two in a way that cant be welded back together any more or catch fire and burn to the ground, so theres huge aftermarket part support for them.