Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The year is 2006.
This is the future that never was, thanks to the Great Recession.

This is a past that was. Rent on Friday, steal the engine, race on Saturday.

Just for the hell of it, a quick tribute to SAAB.

Can anyone identify this happy man? Hint: he is not astride one of his company's products.

Yes, this is the 2006 New York International Auto Show. The reason nobody's there is that it's Press and Industry Day. I get to be Industry. I've got a few more years. Shall I continue to post the highlights? The museum pieces are most excellent.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is that an Allard? I do love Allards.

This is the Corvair Monza GT, right?

Aaand THIS is a Volvo P1800. My grandpa had one of these. I learned things from this car. For example, how to tuck and roll as the door flies open in a turn and you slide out under the seatbelt.

Not the last time I exited a car under power, but certainly the first time.
If we're going to be posting exotic and awesome car/prototypes, can we at least approximately label them?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
InterceptorV8 made a post.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Here is how you have the best of both worlds.

You enjoy playing with choo choo trains?

It reminded me of something. I happen to have an awesome picture of a Smart. Why is it awesome?

Well, it's not because it's next to a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. (I miss that car.)

It's not because it has Jersey plates on it... wait, what do they say? Vehicle MFR?
It's because it was taken in March of 2001. That's a first-generation Smart. In the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_%28automobile%29#Production_models
They didn't get here till '08 for everyone else.

But I digress. Back to 2006. Let's finish off the Imperial.

And here's a Hertz Mustang.

And... you like Saabs, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Aero-X
I still say it would have made a great Wheeljack for the Transformers movie.

And just for the heck of it, the Ford Reflex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Reflex

Now, it's time for a fun little game.
I'm going to give you one of my weirder photos. Tell me the make, model, year, and place in automotive history this car holds.

This should basically knock the Tatra V570 knockoff argument entirely out of the water.

Edit: Darn it. Google Image Search finds this, these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-engine_Mercedes-Benz
Behold, the '37 Mercedes 170H, designed by Dr. Porsche sometime between '23 and '32. Closer to '32 than '23. To this day, the lead time to a Mercedes design remains roughly similar, at about 7 years. I'm reasonably sure it's the design he got fired over, too. I believe this is actually one of the prototypes, not a production model, from certain features, but I can't be sure.

The people at Mercedes didn't even know this existed when we found it. Surprised the heck out of the board. Basically, this is the prototype zero of the Beetle. Even if it didn't come out till later.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Anyone know what model/series Benz this is?

If I had to guess... Mid-80s 300D? (W123)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:123_280E_0477110307_%2814wik%29.JPG
Roofline and door handles do it for me.

Nope, you're right. W109. W108 is too round.

Well, that was a really quick ID of the old Beetle. I do love the suicide doors. So... here's something in return.
You've heard of the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. Well, here's one. I was told it was _the_ Silver Ghost, AX201. I don't know that for sure.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 22, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yes. Yes, it does take Mercedes about seven years. Or it did ten years ago, which is the last time we designed something with them. The last car we had anything to do with, by the way, is coming out now-ish. The Porsche 918. If I had to guess, the 170H probably dates to 1928-29, because he left in '29. Because Mercedes was not interested in making small, lightweight cars. At all. There's a story there, about how the 170H came to be, but I don't know if anyone's left to tell it.

Sadly, that Smart is the only thing that we could take photos of, because it wasn't a secret when it was a prototype. At least, that I remember. On the other hand, it's possible some things exist on film. That was our first digital camera, back in '01.

Frustrating as heck. You know Toyota owns the japanese DMV? You have to submit designs to them in advance of release of the car, and... anyhow.
... why is imgur complaining that all my jpgs are corrupt now?

Okay. More pictures when imgur behaves. We're skipping ahead to the year 2008, and another Car That Never Was. This one wasn't even a concept. It was a prototype. Sadly, it was a Pontiac.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 23, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There we go. Behold, the Pontiac G8 Sport Truck.

Or, as they were refusing to call it, the El Camino.

And... oh, momma, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law.

Lawman has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home.

Oh, while I've got a song in my head...

Here he comes...

No, sorry. Er...

Flintstones, meet the...

Sorry. I guess I'm just half the car I used to be.

I guess I'll just go for some Heroes in Hot Wheels instead.

Not quite sure what this is. Dodge ZEL? I'd buy it, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_ZEO

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 23, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Don't you need two utes?

Yes, the placards are worth reading sometimes. Oh, while I have some time...

This is not the last flying car you'll see.

I don't know what.

Eh. Pedestrian.

Now THIS is something.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 23, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

LobsterboyX posted:

And finally this "New" 1937 Cadillac Fleetwood body

the car was never built, but built recently from original Fleetwood plans.
Hey, I got something like that. Bugatti Royale, made decades later from original parts and plans. It's the 41.111 duplicate.

There is NOTHING more awesome than being the only dudes in a mostly shut down museum where the attendants are bored enough to let you touch the cars... and even start one or two up.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I like blue better than red.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, we're getting closer to the end of '08.

Remember how I said the first SMART cars showed up in 2008? Yep, there's one here. Or... some of it. How smart are these cars? Let's find out.

I'm not sure what this Mada was, but it was freaking gorgeous. I don't think I really caught the LED strips they had in the front.

For some reason, though, this specific perspective below reminds me of a cat. Can't imagine why.

But let's get to something American.

You don't get more American than that.

Stately!

Gee, that old LaSalle ran great. And looked good too.

I think that's a Monza GT in the corner there, but the other shots didn't come out.

And how could I resist this Studebaker?

Now, here's something for the Europhiles. The Type 718 , I believe... and a modern interpretation. Right, the RS60. Old and New.

I love the grille here.

Sorry about the fuzzy nature of some of these, the light was... intimate. I did try to match perspectives on some shots.

And I think that's basically it for 2008. Oh, wait. No. How do you guys feel about turning left for 500 miles?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 24, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And here I thought the Harley Earl custom was going to get all the attention. Hm. Might be some more stuff in 08 people'll like than I thought. How do you guys feel about staring at engines?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Sadly, Mr. Shelby couldn't be there himself, he was feeling poorly.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Das Volk posted:

:argh: figures this has to happen while I'm in the US.

Whereabouts, partner? I'm thinking maybe I'm going to go wander down to the local cruise this Saturday. Won't find an Atom, but I might have one or two shots of interest for us all.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Hm. Now that I look for it, I do believe I see positive camber there as well. Good eye!

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 29, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There has been a severe and deadly lack of American Iron in this here thread. I'm here to rectify this situation.
This is a teaser.

(Pontiac, by the way)

See, there's this garage I pass every day on my way home. And every day, I say, eh, I'll take a photo of it someday. Well, here's what they had today. Lot of things were missing, but what the heck.

The reason I call this a teaser? Because I took the pictures on the way to cruise night. Every Saturday. Wait till you get a load of this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Steve French posted:

Can somebody explain this to me

Use of unnecessary force in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welcome to my neighborhood.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get everything there, and more stuff was arriving.

Yeah, he got the right plate for this one.

Hm. Just noticed that Vette. Outa what? Time?

There's always a Vette row, and a Mustang row. I don't think I got a shot of Mustang Row. All new models.

Ah. Outamywy.

I'm going to break this post here.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Now, it's not all American stuff here.

This one was interesting. Fordillac. Chopped. Channeled. Frenched. Lowered.

I think this shot best exemplifies the area.

God, this was huge.

80 years young, man.

Bishop here shook the parking lot.

Little something for the truck fans.

Dig the old logo.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wait. Wait. Holy poo poo. That there was a historic hot rod.
http://thehotrodshop.net/graffiti.html
Yep. License plate matches. That's the American Graffiti Deuce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yugo in that pristine shape and still functioning belongs here.

That's the only car I have literally seen leave its exhaust system behind at a stop light.