Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Anyone know what model/series Benz this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thealphabetsez posted:

I'm struggling to understand the smaller turbines on the side of the engine block, perchance can anyone shed some light?

The R18 is single turbo, I think what you're looking at are the water pumps.

nm posted:

I'm impressed he's gotten that past the DMV for so long (4 months)

With the wheels?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

(take a second look at this, it's not what you think it is)

:golfclap: Took me a second.

e: and this VVVV :doh:

nm posted:

Look at the plates. Now imagine you're looking at it in a mirror.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh drat, an E6350 V8SC? :flashfap:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress me :stare:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is ridiculous as gently caress and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3G_MdW-kt0

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/26/bentley-unveils-continental-gt3-racer/

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

For reference, this thing is the size of a 911 GT3. It is going to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssst.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A lot of the Honda K-series swaps are done to S1 Elise/Exiges which came with the old Rover K-series, so definitely an improvement there. I don't know how popular the Honda swap is on the later, 2ZZ-powered cars.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Spotted these two lovelies whilst out for a walk.

e: Second one is for sale as well. Me want.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fermunky posted:

Is it me, or are the Do Not Touch signs seem to have a finger missing from the hand?

Ve told you not to touch the car.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

I've seen this guy around a few times and talked to him but I finally felt like taking a couple of phone pictures.

(lol my white E46 way back there)

To curb the 'RICE!' posts...
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/117969-very-custom-996-gt2-rsr.html

Basically, the car is loving insane.

gently caress me, 840hp geared for 190mph?! That thing must loving hammer.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cat Terrist posted:

I do like time attack and I organise / Clerk of Course events. So lets get that out of the way as to where I stand on it.

However yes what you have supposed is 100% correct. Safety is NOT what you would expect from a car that could make a huge loving hole int he fence - the cages and secondry safety is simply not up to the levels that you think it should be. My 2004 spec FIA cage is better than the latest TT cars - some of the cages TT lets you get away with make me cringe.

The cars themselves are quite flimsy and do have failures - they are pushing the envelope and I do see suspension failures or engine grenades with regularity. An very good example is there's a car coming from Autotech in Australia (BTW who are assclowns with some truly obnoxious people) that has a 06 WRC shell with half the cage cut out. That can not be a good idea for a 550Kw car and yet it's in the rulebook, they are allowed to get away with safety gear that was deemed illegal 10 years ago.

I have been working on trying to get the higher spec cars to have appropriate cages and other safety gear, but as someone else pointed out, yes this is drag racing but with a circuit and these cars are pushing the boundaries and then some of the rule book and the spirit of time attack. I think there will be an engineering failure soon and someone will get hurt and that could have been prevented.

The way I think it should work is the lower classes get some freedoms due to still being road cars - and this is where TT works well, you can drive your road car to a day, have fun, go home so full cages are not good for a DD - but the unrestricted cars having to comply with at least FIA 2011 safety rules for sedans.

What excuses are they using to justify that sort of sloppy poo poo? I mean, once you've gone past the point of not being able to ever be road registered there's no excuse for not having a full cage and safety kit. I mean, buying something with an existing top-level cage and then chopping it out? WTF taken to a new level.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cat Terrist posted:

Justification? I have no idea, apart sheer stupidity. But here's the REAL stupidity of it all - a WRC cage is pretty light and even acts as a deformation point. It's DESIGNED to gracefully fail. You take bits out, you lose the graceful bit. They have wasted utterly the hundreds of design hours to make that cage work at all, Lord help them if they roll over, what remains of the cage will break and become lethal. Bunch of assclowns.

So basically the only thing they're now getting out of having spent all that cash on an ex-WRC shell is the bragging rights of having an ex-WRC shell, not actually anything tangible from being built to WRC-spec.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross-posting from the car game:

Yes it's a Pinto, but AI for a sense of humour.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sadnessboner posted:

There's a Barra 6cyl swapped AMC Javelin up for sale at this month's Shannon's Auction. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a turbocharged one.

They're not kidding when they say Barra swapped:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zenostein posted:

That poor Javelin.

a) What does Barra swapped mean and b) I had no idea AMCs made it over to Australia. Did they come in any sort of significant ideas, or is that a bit like swapping an Opel GT to run a 429 stateside?

a) Barra = Ford Australia's 4.0 6cyl engine (and it's also got the interior from a BA-model Falcon). They seem to have gone to all that effort to basically transfer everything from what was most likely an absolute base povvo-pack Falcon. b) No, it'll be an import.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sofullofhate posted:

Jim Simpson is an awesome AI dude. He has an amazing collection of Alfas, a couple of other beauties (concours winning Fiat? Two of the Nardi Blue Rays?) too.

My father (who is kind of AI awesome himself :3:) has a Miata with that body kit, a Ford V8 / 5-speed and Dayton knock-offs (I mean "use a hammer to take them off" not "they're fakes"). It's an absolute hoot to drive.

At the dyno facility. I road-tuned it (it's a bored / stroked Mustang engine with a Quarterhorse ECU piggyback board) the day before.

Strapped in. Note the plate (heh) and watercut aluminum logo (my sister designed it!). MTM = Mel's Torque Monster. Yes, it actually displaces 5.8L after the bore / stroke.

I'ma let this speak for itself. I suspect that there's something wrong with this dyno, but it pulled strong and consistently so 6 times. I was mostly concerned about the AFR which we tweaked a bit in between pulls.

A bad picture of my father and the car. He daily drives it until it starts to snow.

So yeah. That body kit and Jim Simpson are both pretty awesome and AI in my humble.

Goddamn this is cool as poo poo. How did he get the knock-offs to work? Conversion kit, hub swap?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

"Top. Men."

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Only a crappy VH model Commodore, but it's cool as poo poo :colbert:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So apparently Mazda made a W12 engine in the late 80's/early 90s. And when I say W12, I don't mean it in the VW-two-VR6s-slapped-together way. I mean a loving W.

http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t671.html

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Spied this sweet old yacht motoring up King St a week or so ago.

(click for big)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

General_Failure posted:

nice. Also eat me sushi :quagmire:

It's highly appropriate for the area.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VikingSkull posted:

It could be a late 70's Elky, but the late 70's Ranchero was even bigger.

I think they might be talking about one of those ridiculous utes made from Caddys etc. for funerals. Flower cars or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I want an AZ-1 so bad :(