Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Was at Road America on Saturday for the ALMS race. Owned so hard.

Did you see a bunch of assholes on scooters and a rented (and de-governed!) golf cart with a huge pirate flag hanging off the back? Because that was us :buddy:

Anyway, this is my favorite picture my buddy took that weekend. Granted it looks like rear end because I stole it off of his facebook for the sake of a picture thread. I can probably get the full rez version if someone really wanted it.

Preoptopus posted:

I feel like such an rear end in a top hat living in Wisconsin and having never been.

We've been going for the last four years or so. This year we had a group of six, and between us, we each payed about $200 bucks-which payed for the entire race weekend, four campsites, and all of our food and beer. It's such a great time, and the area and scenery is beautiful. Not to mention all of the awesome cars people drive up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Phone posted:

I did a Grand Am weekend last year, and the RX-8s were the ones who did damage. Loud is one thing, loud + piercing is a whole other level of pain.

Will wear ear protection, thanks.

Yeah, basically what IOwnCalculus said. The Patron Ferraris are just that, loud and piercing. They are awesome. The new Evora that was running sounded similar to them, and that was pretty rad too.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I thought this was a pretty neat article by Road and Track about secret shenanigans by Ganassi. I've never heard of this before.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/features/a24696/racings-secret-hideout-ganassi-tunnel/

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GramCracker posted:

So I watched ADRENALIN. http://www.adrenalin-film.de/ If you even remotely like cars, go watch it. Now. :colbert:

I just rented this on Vimeo, $9 for a 48-hour rental. It's a neat historical view about BMW's motorsport program, but it really doesn't have all that much racing-footage, and virtually all of it is covered with music and interviewing.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-aFuHQ5pwo What are they feeding the kids in wissssssssscaaaaaansin? A childhood friend turned enginerd living there sent me this link of his friends car. We need to get him an account.

How the gently caress have I never heard of this thing, being in Milwaukee?

Also:

xzzy posted:

Wisconsin huh? I give it two weeks before he's picking deer guts out of the grill.

As a Wisconsin native, I sold an E30 to a friend, and a few months later, he creamed a deer on the driver's front, annihilating the headlights, grill, hood, and driver's fender. He fixed all of that poo poo, and then immediately creamed a deer on the passenger's front, annihilating the headlights, grill, hood, and passenger's fender :v:

Also also:

Preoptopus posted:

xzzy posted:

Milwaukee huh? I give it two weeks before he's filling bullet holes in the the body panels.
Fixed
This man speaks the truth.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Memento posted:

Are they really that rare? Maybe it's an American thing because I see them all the time.

There's loads of them local to me in WI. A handful of them autocross near me including at least 3 CR S2k's. Hell, the other day I saw three different ones on my way home from work all bone stock with an old grey-haired dude behind the wheel.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Hopefully by the time some day comes around you come to your senses and realise those are terrible for literally everything you can imagine doing with a bike besides taking instagram pictures and posing by the starbucks.

Cool helmet though.

I haven't been in Cycle Asylum for a few months, and was lurking around in there for the past few days, wherein I noticed pretty much everyone poo poo-talking cafe racer-styled bikes. Eh, whatever, to each their own. I picked up the post your motorcycle thread from where I left off (apparently I hadn't looked at that thread since 2009) and everyone was telling a couple people they should turn their bikes into cafe racers, and that it would be super bitchin' :v:

Also I remember when the Groms were first released, everyone in CA was poo poo talking those too and were adamant about how lovely they were. Now everyone in there loves them. As someone who rides, y'all are weird!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I bought my first model a few years ago, Senna's McLaren MP4/6. I was doing a really excellent job on it over the course of a few weeks.I had the intercoolers/radiators, manifolds, turbos, block, transmission all painted up really well. I even nailed the tiny-rear end water transfer decals for the gauge-cluster and the little Hugo Boss logos on the Takata harness straps.

It came time to install the rain-light on the back, and I realized that at some point a couple of weeks prior, I must have accidentally scooped up the whole sprue of clear parts in a wad of newspaper and threw it out, including the rain light and windscreen. I gave up after that. I actually still have the bare monocoque with the suspension arms all assembled, cockpit done, and the powerplant all installed and painted sitting on my desk :smith:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I love the marshall with the stretcher eating poo poo when Marquez runs past :laugh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God. drat.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I remember several years ago Wisconsin made proof of insurance mandatory or something like that and everyone was making a huge deal out of it. So of course I pulled my expired card out of my wallet and forgot to put my new one in and got popped doing like 15 over, and I started to panic when I couldn't find it. The cop just asked me who my insurance provider was, and sent me on my way without really caring all that much.

Also, putting gloves in the glove box is weird. Gloves are for when it's cold, why would I want to put cold gloves that have been sitting in my cold car all night on my cold hands? :colbert:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Just like any tool infomercial, I question the efficacy at more than 15 ft*lbs. Strap wrenches are $5 at harbor freight. Plus if you want a home brew way to take off a filter without a filter wrench, to just drive a screwdiver through it and use it like a handle.

The last time I used the stab-with-a-screwdriver method was the first oil change I did on my new-to-me E30 a few years ago. It was torqued on so hard that when I put leverage on the screwdriver, it just tore through the filter housing, and then I was left with a jagged half of an oil filter stuck on the engine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

iospace posted:

Turn your monitor on

Oh no, the F1 thread is leaking