Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Throatwarbler posted:

So what's the silver tank for? Fuel?

My guess is coolant or oil. Don't know why the resevior had to be there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SFH1989 posted:

Yeah when it was a drag only car it had a built reverse manual valve body TH400 with a 5000rpm stall torque converter. The 5spd has changed it a lot. Driving it now is very interesting, almost feels wrong (in the best way possible) to drive on the street.

:smug:

Where's the stick on the LTD? :colbert:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

red19fire posted:

F1 Hovercraft Racing. I'm amazed there's not more safety gear involved, since they drift the poo poo out of these things, and they seem prone to rolling over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6YHz6YwlBo

Drifting is literally the only way to change your vector on a hovercraft.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Itzena posted:

Peugeot Onyx concept car from the Paris motor show:

Carbon fibre and copper.

Let's fast foward a few years:

I'm sure it's coated to prevent petina, but I like to think it's not :allears:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The most AI way to transport your smart fortwo?

I bet that would be fun to get into an accident with.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

If you said you could show me an intake that looks like a towel rack, I would have called you a dirty filthy liar.

Also that open mesh ground wire is hilarious.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SkunkDuster posted:

A video of a guy that fabricated and built a 12cyl motor with about 1cc of displacement. It appears to be powered by compressed air, but still - :drat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Its hard to get over how misplaced that soundtrack is.

Also being someone who has designed most of an engine, I can truly appreciate how difficult that is as well as his choice to go air powered instead of figuring out how to cool and lubricate that thing.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 6, 2012

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man I really hope this gooses hydrogen development as a fuel. The most abundant element in the universe and the only waste product is water vapor? Yes please.

From what I understand, the methods of producing hydrogen currently aren't sustainable. This means it currently requires more than a BTU to make a BTU's worth of hydrogen and bring it to market. This includes generating it, compressing it, and transporting it. There is a similar issue with corn based ethanol. But the United States likes corn so much they do it anyway. :downs:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I think everyone is misplacing judgement here. I like the Prius, it's filled with useful technology to make it cheaper to own and friendlier to the only planet we can occupy. But I loathe the dickheads that drive them. Note I didn't say all drivers who drive a Prius are dickheads.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

West SAAB Story posted:

but the fact that the suspension is gone along with the chrome and handles isn't that big of a deal amirite?

I don't, and will never understand this 'make your car less reliable' trend.

I'd imagine it's the same reason people thing Desert Eagle .50 AE are cool guns. It's a step away from normal. But some just don't understand which direction in the AI plane it goes in.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I took an engineering class specifically designed to teach shear, bending and torque. It's pretty easy to design for and single point shear is considered ethical engineering design if proper analysis has been done. Also as long at the mount isn't threaded. That is considered poor engineering regardless of how high the safety factor is.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What do you mean exactly, "as long as the mount isn't threaded"?

As long as the cantilever that experiences the shear force isn't threaded it is ok. An easy way to fix this is to simply use a shouldered bolt.

Crustashio posted:

You just design for the reduced area, I've seen a lot of perfectly safe designs that use single shear bolted connections. Rear shocks on my car mount to the hub in single shear with one bolt and they will punch through the upper mount before they shear that bolt. I've seen a lot of shoulder bolt connections in manufacturing that have lasted for a very long time. Ideal design is a double shear, straight pin connector but in the real world engineering requires many compromises because of space or ease of assembly.

That is the problem. You don't design for the reduced area. Stress risers experienced during shear make it more vulnerable to failure than a rod of the same diameter as the minor diameter of the bolt thread. That assumption is one of the reasons it's a no no. You may have seen plenty of designs but it's not considered ethical engineering because a better solution exists with minimal design change.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 21, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

I see single shear in mounts all the time - for instance shock mounts are frequently single shear.

EightBit's example of how to make something double shear is really not a good idea though, because if you connect the mount tabs on each side of the bolt together with a plate that's parallel to the bolt, you've barely increased the strength at all. You need triangulation / a gusset that shares load equally between the two mount tabs to make a truly effective double shear mount point.

The point I'm making is single shear design is okay. Single shear (or any shear for that matter) on a full length threaded bolt or any bolt where shear takes place on the threaded section of it is not okay. Examples of that is seen everywhere including older F1 cars. But it's still poor engineering and unethical if designed deliberately despite knowing the problems caused by it.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

BoostCreep posted:

He's gonna be pretty pissed when his 3 year old smashes his fancy LED headlights into walls in his house because it's fun. There's a reason kid's toys are made of lovely cheap plastic and rubber.

But that's all very impressive. If I had his skills I'd just make my own full size car. The kid would be just as happy playing with the boxes all the parts came in.

If I were to guess how much all of that would cost to custom build, assuming it was a retail purchase, I would put my guess right around $20,000. The CF shell being the most expensive part. A full size car of that build quality would be through the roof.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Octopus Magic posted:

Why are you so dead set that you think his 3 year old is going to break it?

Three year olds break everything. I work at a portrait studio. There isn't anything they won't try to break. I'm sure dad is around to keep an eye on the car/his son though.

Fake Edit: Beaten

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Everyone shutup and look at this thing.

Just popped up on my Facebook feed from Top Gear.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bugatti-veyron-volkswagen-beetle-render-2013-02-07

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Terrible Robot posted:

"Probably one of the only cars in the world driving without camshafts". Yeah, you know, apart from the hundreds of thousands of Wankel powered cars out there.

That was a really excellent video, I love listening to Christian talk about his cars :allears:. I've been hearing about individually actuated valves for years, and it's really great that it's getting close to being viable for production. When he started talking about using an air tank for energy capture or (even better) as a kind of instantaneous turbo I got all giddy.

I know this is a page back, but I have done A LOT of research with camless valves from my supermileage days. It turns out that nothing but a mechanical system will use the least amount of energy from the engine. This is because the cams are mechanically linked directly to the source of power. There are massive inefficiency losses with trying to convert engine power into another motive for the valves.

Like to use electromagnets for example requires converting mechanical engine energy into electrical energy which converts back into mechanical energy to drive the valves. Two conversions with efficiency losses between them. The research I have done have covered pneumatic, electronic, and hydraulic. All have the same conversion loss. The name of the game is going to be trying to get that efficiency back. Analog devices like mosfets are getting more and more efficient all the time, converting less electricity to heat. Along with this, you can design the electromagnet to consume less power and output more force by making the magnet larger and run at higher voltages.

Like electrical, efficiency gains for pneumatic and hydraulic solutions come from using better pumps, lighter fluids or gasses. Running at higher pressures is similar to running higher voltages for the electronic equivalent, less energy is lost in the system.

Another thing when considering all of these losses are the gains in performance. As of right now they do not outweigh the losses, however experimenting with the valve wave form, valve action, and other variables may one day change that. There is also the question of what you are aiming for. If it is pure power output capability, a camless system is ideal. The losses don't matter so much in a high performance setting like racing. If you are after fuel efficiency, not so much. The losses actually consume more fuel than they save with current engine technology.

Finally, the last thing that needs consideration is durability. Mechanical cam systems do wear, but very slowly in comparison with camless options. Pneumatic/hydraulic lines fatigue, pumps wear out, batteries age, etc, all at a much higher rate than a valve-train or timing chain/belt. Advances in material engineering may cover this one day. But, "Will we still even be using gasoline at that point?" is the real question.

TL;DR Camless systems aren't practical...yet.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 21, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

I wonder if the valve closing could be harnessed, similar to regenerative braking? Actually, designing the valve solenoid circuit correctly could result in a circuit that's mostly resonant at the right frequency to open and close the valves at the right times, so the driver would just have to "pump" the circuit to keep it going and make up for the portions where valve lift wouldn't exactly match the result provided by the resonance alone. This would only really work well with engines running at a set RPM, or with drivers built with multiple banks of capacitors to stay "nearly resonant" (low Q factor would obviously be required here...) at most engine RPMs. I think it would go very well with a CVT, keeping the engine at the same speed at all times would greatly simplify the resonant circuit + valve solenoid driver circuit design.

I actually have some insight on this as well. Sikorsky has been recently researching into hydraulic energy recovery systems to reduce the amount of hydraulic power that is needed to change rotor angles (which happens once per revolution, so thing rotor twisting back and forth so fast it might as well be vibrating) in their helicopters. As far as my university, which works closely with the company, has come up with, there isn't really a lightweight, efficient, reliable, or even cheap solution to this. The initial idea is to dump the high pressure fluid returning from the valves into a pump or other energy generating device to be put back into the pumping system. So far nothing has worked out.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 21, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

GramCracker posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels that way.

God forbid there is more content than a picture dump thread :rolleyes:. But in the interest of letting the majority influence what this thread should be, I have been thinking about starting an auto tech thread in which we sperg over engineering and new technology. I PM'd IOwnCalculus to check his opinion on the matter as it would overlap content with other threads. But I am curious to find out how many people would think another seperate thread would be a good idea.

And to keep on track, have a picture I took at the Limerock Historic Festival in 2012. I made a thread about it but it never got past page 1, so I figure most of you haven't seen a lot of the photos. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo that site is like Geocities quality circa late 90s

Early 2000s, actually. The last photo they uploaded to that site was in 2004.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gon' comment fishin'. Let's see if I get a bite.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

The megarule is loving terrible. First you combine 3 threads into 1, then ban discussion from said thread.

You are doing terribly, iowncalculus.

oh, hey, here's a picture so you have to come up with something more creative to probate or ban me with.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Just so you know, I started the Automotive Technology Thread to discuss the exact stuff that this thread used to talk about. Anyone is encouraged to cross post into there to talk about a picture. Prius chat welcome.

The best car butte.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

The craftsmanship on that waste gate :stare:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Regarding turbos, I did a writeup for my thread. Feel free to ask anything there:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post414450582

Short answer is twin turbos can be set up for a wide power range, or a buttload of power in a certain range.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

I was thinking to myself, "Wow, what elegant plumbing", then realized it didn't have any sort of intercooling.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Carteret posted:

A quick google says yes, amazingly. I wonder what they were thinking on the engineering side to justify that, besides the :psyduck: reaction.

The only thing I can fathom is re-using that runner from a different car to save money on engineering.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Went to the NHMS Vintage road race event over the weekend. Saw some cool stuff.

RX-3? RX-4?

It's an RX-3

From the Lime Rock Historic last year:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Also new post for this one just because it needs to be isolated.

Don't care if those cars are in good condition or not. Those are totaled in my eyes. Now the better question is how to burn the cars without setting the field surrounding them on fire.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Went to the Lime Rock Historic Festival again this year. Have some AI.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got to go with the last wingless cars.

In regards to F1, I think the beauty comes with pure function. The cars get prettier every generation IMO. There isn't a single surface that wasn't meant to be there.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

MrChips posted:

At the risk of raising the ire of The Worst Posters, I disagree. The cars of the late 1970s and early 80s (the ones with the double rear wings and whatnot) aren't exactly pretty, and the cars they've run in the last three or four years are pretty ugly too.

As for the prettiest cars, I would agree that the last wingless cars are the nicest, but the cars of the late 80s and early 90s are pretty nice too.

Nah, it's cool. We all :allears: at F1 cars in some form or another.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

With "internet price" listed on the website, I was let down when I did not see an "add to cart" button.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

OptimusMatrix posted:

I've never seen a paint job like this. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a2a_1380931936

This looks like the stuff that they use in various kids toys to make them change color. All of the dolls with color changing hair come to mind.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the youtube thread or here, but figuring as I made it I thought it'd be more appropriate here. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BYUZxAFJ0

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Kilonum posted:

I was at LRP for that race as well (and the ALMS race in July)

ALMS pics

Grand Am pics

I am finding that as I have posted this in a few subforums, that quite a few goons went to the race. We should make a meet or something.

jamal posted:

A fast car got some new stickers:

I think I liked last year's bare carbon look better.

Bare CF is actually bad for a car, given it's not an aesthetic outer layer. The UV in sunlight will actually break down the epoxy used in the lay-up.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Boomerjinks posted:

Today is a good day to repost this.

I legitimately thought I went cross eyed when I saw this.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone else think the wheels don't really add anything to the design? It makes it look a little cluttered.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

That Miata has seen some poo poo. :stare:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Throatwarbler posted:

My favourite example of this is the Ferrari California.

You would think the big round lights would be the brake lights, like in all the other Ferraris, but they're not. The brake lights are actually the blacked out square things near the exhaust, because DOT regulations prohibit the mounting of brake lights on to body parts that are movable, like the cover for the folding hardtop on the California.

I'm sure Ferrari totally meant to do it like that from the beginning and didn't just forget that regulation existed until the car was ready to go into production.

This is fantastic because that is the car I love to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had a massive image dump ready then we lost power for ~10 seconds and for once I'm on the desktop instead of the laptop. So instead you get this, the 1974 McLaren M16C.

I loving love turbo piping. Anything cool preventing the need for the inter-cooler or did people just not know then?