Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Apparently cell-phone pics are ok here so long as the cars are cool, so I'm X-posting these from the terrible pics thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hah, figured it out at the same time /\/\

Yep, it sure is. It's a Buick Electra. Dunno why I had it in my head that it was a mopar, must be the swoopy front end, Dodges from that era had ridiculous(ly awesome) looking front fascias.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Warcabbit posted:

Just for the hell of it, a quick tribute to SAAB.

"Dammit, who let Sven run the louver-press again? :argh:"

Really cool car otherwise, I had no idea SAAB made a swedish-corvette thing. E: oh it's Sonett prototype, only 6 were made. Cool.

The rest of the pictures are awesome as well, keep posting them.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 22, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Prototype Volkswagen Beetle built by Daimler-Benz in 1937. 1 of 30 ever built

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If you're in a car like that and are worried about blind-spots, you aren't driving it properly :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Your dad is so much more AI than mine, not fair :saddowns:. My dad would maybe impress the guys in SH/SC but this is soo much cooler, goddamn.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Click for gigantic.

I cannot wait to start restoring my friends '77 fastback.

Devyl posted:

Your dad never read Chilton's guides to you when you were little? :confused:

No, but I'm definitely doing this with my daughter. Tonight we learn about Volvo turbocharging systems :3:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

beedeebee posted:

OK, tell me how many organs you want, I need this car...

It can be all yours for the low price of $141 (it's a very well done model).

edit: Proof

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 31, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I spent a huge amount of time going through the Shorpy Kodachrome archives last night, thought I'd share a few of my favorites from the cars & trucks section. Click for huge.

Old cars were loving hard :saddowns:

The Ford Motor Company, circa 1912 or so.

Ye Olde Autozone

This one was listed as the parts department of a dealership.

Too poor to purchase your own car? Safety and traffic laws non-existant? Just build your own deathtrap car out of poo poo you found in your dads shed!

Better than a Smart car!

Why did such a plainly awesome sport like Auto-Polo die out?

Oh right.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If you've ever been to Bristol, Tennessee you may have heard of Rt. 421, or The Snake as it's called. It's basically a lesser known Tail of the Dragon. It is a very loving fun and dangerous road. It travels over 2 mountains and through a valley in between. In the middle of the valley is a 4 way intersection with a store, The Snake Shop. They sell fuel (Snake Venom, the grades are snake themed as well) and have a room devoted to pictures and pieces of bikes/cars that couldn't hack it. It's a really awesome little place in the middle of an absolutely beautiful area. Anyway, they have this parked out front.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

falz posted:

I was going to suggest this is because of 'Get Shorty' but I think that was a different van.

The van in Get Shorty was a Pontiac Trans-Sport I believe. Always thought they looked pretty cool for a van, but the Previa is hands down my favorite minivan. I wish they weren't all rusted to hell or run into the ground where I live, I want a supercharged 5 speed minivan dammit!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

Oldsmobile Silhouette, the Cadillac of minivans.

:saddowns: I just watched the movie a week ago too.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's exactly ONE Citroen DS in my town, but drat is it an awesome one. Automobile magazine did a story on it.

The only picture I have of it in the wild is really lovely though. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Matlock posted:

Awesome Porsche stuff

Cool pictures, looks like a great way to spend a day. I was just looking at an older Porsche design, actually. :haw:

Behold the Panzer VIII Maus, the largest tank ever made, designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That Subaru is loving awesome for many reasons, but I personally love it because an '86 Loyale is the first car I ever broke the 100mph mark in, and it's cool to see one that's actually built to haul rear end.

SierraEchoBravo posted:

These are words I never would have though I'd see written for an '86 Subaru.

Talk about a sleeper though, wow.

The Loyale I learned to love speed in was taken off the road a year later because the body was literally rusting in half; you could see it sagging around the B-pillar if all the doors were opened. :gonk: Every '80s Subaru I've seen in my area has been destroyed by rust, far worse than any '80s Toyota or Honda I have seen.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

chrisgt posted:

You went 100 in an 86 GL? Jesus loving christ. That's scary/awesome. Was it being dropped out of an airplane??? hah.

My 89 is lifted and whatnot. The fastest I've ever had it was about 90. And that was going sideways on a dirt road :getin:

Haha it took almost a half mile to get to 100 and felt like it was going to fall apart (which, in hindsight, it was). I was also 15 at the time, driving my friends car with just a learners because he was baked as gently caress and I hadn't discovered the wonders of pot yet, it was the middle of the night, and I was unfamiliar with the road. It was like the perfect storm of stupidity and bad decisions, but goddamn it was fun. I've gone faster in cars since, but I've never felt as scared as I did in that car. RIP Thrasher.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I buy Hot Rod and HR Deluxe when I've got spare money, there's not really a better car mag. Super Street :jerkbag: has an annual that focuses exclusively on classic Japanese sports cars that is actually really good, it doesn't have any of the regular mags stupidity (or at least, a whole lot less of it). I just wish they would make it a more regular thing, I'd probably get a subscription.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I don't get it but laughed anyway :downs:. Maybe it registered subconsciously. Anyone care to explain the joke so I can laugh some more?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

grover posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Ahahaha, so it was subconscious after all. Been a loong time since I exercised the "working on computers" part of my brain.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Is that one of Billy Bob Thornton's cars? It is pretty drat fitting...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm excited about a mid-size diesel pick-up, but that cab design is loving atrocious. It's a loving truck, it doesn't need a higher belt line. At least they seem to have fixed the massive wheel to fender gap problem.

e: Or at least minimized it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DixielandDelight posted:

Billy Bob's is in Fort Worth Texas. World's biggest honky tonk.

That makes even more sense :doh:. Still, I could definitely see Thornton driving that car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
While that was a bit painful to watch, it was pretty loving awesome to see that 855 rip other cars apart and then just drive off with some dents :black101:. Gonna show this to all my friends who don't like my wagon.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
IIRC Roth's idea was that the three colored lights would combine to make one bright white light? Of course light doesn't work like that so it just looks (even more) goofy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Guinness posted:

How do you think RGB displays and projectors work?

That post was poorly worded, I know how displays work, but in the case of the car it did not work so well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

I like how it looks like the beach is actually flat, so the appearance is of the truck just bounding around like a happy St Bernard.

Well they are sponsored by Red Bull...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Backov posted:

That probably gets about the same mileage as a H1, so it seems like a practical choice to pull your camper.

The H1 most certainly doesn't get only 5mpg (based on fuel consumption of an LAV-25), it actually gets closer to 15mpg (Source).

edit: Which is also better than the H2

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 28, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Renault Turbo 5

edit: wait, really? A Metro?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure they are Dome Zero's.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Crosspostin' this from the Youtube thread, because it's pretty drat cool.

I like this latest Koenigsegg video from Drive. It's a great example of how Koenigsegg isn't just about flashy fast cars, they've got some serious engineering going on as well, and may actually be putting individually controlled pneumatic valve actuation in their next car. They have a Saab 9-5 running pneumatic valves as a prototype car, even.

[video type="youtube"]Bch5B23_pu0[video]

"Probably one of the only cars in the world driving without camshafts". Yeah, you know, apart from the hundreds of thousands of Wankel powered cars out there.

That was a really excellent video, I love listening to Christian talk about his cars :allears:. I've been hearing about individually actuated valves for years, and it's really great that it's getting close to being viable for production. When he started talking about using an air tank for energy capture or (even better) as a kind of instantaneous turbo I got all giddy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

tbb9 posted:

Don't the new Fiats use pneumatically controlled vales?

Not exactly, the engine still has camshafts, they just don't act directly on the valves allowing for more precise valve control.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rcman50166 posted:

TL;DR Camless systems aren't practical...yet.

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up, it was very informative. I hadn't even considered the most basic hindrance to it, the Conservation of Energy :doh:. Still, it sounds like it will probably be put to use in high performance engines if nothing else and it will be interesting to see just how much of a game changer it will be in racing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If you didn't learn how to counter-steer as a kid riding bicycles or driving a go-kart (or gently caress, a pedal-car), you had a bad childhood and I feel sorry for you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
^^^ Aaand there's my other favorite 80's BMW ever. It really was a good decade for them style-wise.

Crustashio posted:

:stare:

Hello new dream build.

:circlefap:

Goddamn what a beautiful car. I always forget how completely-stupid-in-love I am with the E28 until the next time I see one, which is probably a very good thing for my wallet. In high-school auto class we had to strip one out as a project one day for a BMW-nut substitute teacher (he had a gorgeous E32 750IL), and I flat out refused and spent the rest of the class period trying to convince him to let me buy it instead. I think I'll just leave a tab open with that picture for a while. . .

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

No Eleanor. Bullshit.

Eleanor is between the GTO from xXx and the Mustang from Bullit.

It's the row started by the Thiokol Spryte snow-cat from The Shining, which is incidentally how you know this is the best "vehicles in movies" picture. :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I remember the last time these got brought up someone found one that was made from the front-half of an Olds Toronado, wish I could find that picture. Pimp-est plane tug ever.

E; gently caress why do I always end up with the snype.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 25, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Found some Toronado (or other FWD V8 GM product) seaplane tug pictures :toot:

The last one looks like the frame is bending :ohdear:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
For a minute I thought it was an interior shot of the Pantera that some crazy (is there really any other kind of Northern European?) Swede threw a Hemi into. Would you like to know (a lot) more? The website is straight out of 1999 but has a dizzying amount of information on his build and all the custom parts he designed and built for it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The link was in my post? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

There also a lack of cooling and generally everything else I'd expect to have under the hood of a vehicle. kinda thinking it might just be for show.

Radial aircraft engines are air-cooled.