Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Devyl posted:

I feel your pain :( This was the last good-looking BMW:

I've been looking at these, and I dare say it's one of the last of the models focused solely on going fast too. The Z4M doesn't compare because it's not as focused. Knowing BMW somehow they'll make the USS ///M6 run the 'ring faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

So is this the automotive equivalent of those image macros that have several hot girls then the last picture has one with a cock?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linedance posted:

So I went to Pistonheads Sunday Service up at Silverstone yesterday. A few cars showed up.

I made an imgur album rather than spam all the pictures into this thread or make a photo dump thread.
http://imgur.com/a/1puXd

I've got a bunch more that I might make into another album if anyone wants to see more.

It also happened to coincide with the 6 hours of Silverstone LeMans series race, so we got to see some of that too. Bonus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLHuYy9zWA

It was a loving great day out. I went with my friend in his chavtastic tuned up '99 Impreza Type R which was a dream car of mine when I was in college. We drove irresponsibly through country lanes, got air over a little bridge and did a huge drift in a gravel parking lot, basically everything I'd have wanted to do in one, so that's a few things ticked off the list.

:argh: figures this has to happen while I'm in the US.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Spotted in Westminster.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Wow ive actualy seen that car before up at perfect touch in hoddeston, which isnt suprising seeing as they used to be one of the places to get your skyline mapped.

I've always liked the Tommykaira ZZ tho, iirc they were actualy built in the uk. So they were pretty much a japanese version of the elise with a SR20DE motor.

Also just spotted this on pistonheads
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4231676.htm
E46 M3 with an S85 motor from the previous gen M5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bprqXly5Dzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_yXqhUSZI

Why on earth would you sell a car like that, especially after all that work?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ash with a five posted:

Phil's buying and TTing a gallardo.

Hahaha did someone really give you a title because your old one said "chimping out"? Like having a title with the n-word is somehow better :laugh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sofullofhate posted:

That's the throttle body butteryfly on an Audi RS4. We were doing the plugs on my buddy's car and I caught a glimpse of it when we pulled off the top of the airbox.

This picture makes it look pretty normal in size. Note that the inlet tube is 4+" in diameter. I was pretty amazed by the thing.

Those don't have ITB's?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I love seeing prototypes of iconic/low production cars because you really get to see the progression of thought and design that goes into the cars.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpU5azjCB8

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I unironically want that black GT-:argh:

On the road safety stuff, hearing "speed kills" bleated by CHP / MADD / whomever really annoys me. I think "Mistakes while driving sometimes kill you" is the right mindset to approach driving with. Speed isn't the only thing to worry about, sometimes you're driving a Kombi, or one of these :v:

I didn't know they made them in RHD until today!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
God those projectors are horrible looking. I'm surprised considering the car appears to be a Diablo GTR clone instead of an original, you'd think that they would use a projector kit that doesn't make the front of the car look like that.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Stop posting this bullshit in here. That's just plain loving ugly.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Gordon Freeman designed Porsches?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Muy posted:

This is the largest I could find.

I would be able to enlarge it, clean it up a bit, and remove the watermark, but it wouldn't look at good as the original photo.

Can you name every vehicle?

Left to right, Lamborghini Murcielago LP-670, McLaren Merc 622, Rolls Drophead, Panamera Turbo, Koenigsegg Agera, Ferrari 458, Maserati Gran Turismo Stradale/special model thingy and an Aventador.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

neckbeard posted:

and this NOT-BROKEN 850i this morning

Was it going "beep.... beep.... beep" at you slowly in the driving rain last night? Because I think I know whose car that is.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sofullofhate posted:

On Friday and today, I drove a Porsche Cayman R, a Ferrari 458, a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, a McLaren MP4-12C and a Porsche 911 (997) Turbo S around a racetrack. Really hard. With an instructor beside me the whole time, pushing me to go faster. :getin:

I will post some pictures and videos later but for now, I have had two days of the AIest poo poo I can imagine. It was epic fun and those cars are everything I always wanted them to be (especially the Scuderia - it is the Ferrariest Ferrari. Undoubtedly). Except the 911 which was spooky fast but... soft.

Horrible to share without media but I thought if anyone would appreciate the way I feel right now it would be you guys.

Also, I did this with my father. Best family vacation ever. :unsmith:

Where at?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sofullofhate posted:

Exotics Racing in Las Vegas.

Nice crew. Great cars. I'm working out the best place to put the videos (probably Vimeo at this rate).

I ask because usually those things are hamstrung in some way, with limiters or freaked out "instructors" and the like. If you want to really know what the current crop of exotics are like to drive, that can be a drat good way of doing it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

mutt2jeff posted:

I had difficulty seeing over the enormous erection this picture gave me to actually post it, but I managed.

I was wondering why this profile looked somewhat familiar:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I need one o' them FREEDOM plates for my car when I get back to murricah

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It was kind of a bummer seeing some of those art cars didn't have any running gear in them at all. That E36 was one example, you get up close and you can see it's just empty in the engine bay.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's why lawyering up no matter how retarded something sounds is always a good idea. The system is not set up to make it fair for you; if you're worried about money you can ask your attorney to counter-sue for recovery of costs.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Seeing these things more and more is making me want one. The street cars at least come with ABS these days, right?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Looks like the high plains near Reno

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking South Virginia Street / Old 395 where it joins up with Geiger Grade, aka 341 to Virginia City. That is one wide piece of road and it wouldn't surprise me if those guys were going to some Virginia City function.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bucephalus posted:

I get the "race a $500 beater" part, but not the parade of hippie stoner pageantry.

HURR WE'RE DRESSED LIKE PIMPS AND THERE'S A BLOWUP DOLL TIED TO OUR ROOF :downs:

VVV edited out insensitive bigoted language, sorry

Chumpcar is a lot better in that respect, still has the ultra low price ceiling but far fewer shenanigans. They also have a much lower tolerance for people who can't drive, so there's a place for each.

I have always and probably will always prefer events that involve not just "oh yeah that might pass inspection in Florida" cars but real street cars. I don't like what sits between that and wheel-to-wheel as much because it falls victim to the wallet contest as so many of these things do. The hillclimb event I attend is like that, no slicks allowed, no dedicated race cars. That's what Pike's Peak is for :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
We decided to check out the last big Pistonheads meet of the year.

Saw a very clean RS2 on the way over

The event was hosted by Mercedes-Benz World in Weybridge, which is quite possibly the most interesting Mercedes anything in the world.

AMG Mercs lined up to run the course:

The carpark was huge and filled with some rare beasts:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

Is that in a 205? I think I've seen more Mi16 swaps than I have 405 Mi16s!

You going to the NEC classic car show in a couple of weeks?

Yup that's a 205, that's even the 1.9 all-alloy version according to the owner. You have to love it, there were 6 people looking at the motor next to a very lonely Diablo.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

juche mane posted:

Is he the shitwagon who has the E39 M5 with all the ham radio bullshit so he can speed and not have to pay tickets like us plebes.

You're even a communist about speeding tickets? You need a loving hobby.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

AirRaid posted:

:eng101: Herald.

This parks across from the office I work at. Driven by a woman.

Things like this really make this country's car culture something special.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

That looks like an absolute nightmare to work with, and being an Audi design it probably is. Is this the one they've been featuring with those big cat/little cat ads touting cylinder deactivation of some sort?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Just came across this in our neighborhood... click for big.

I think it's a manufacturer car - no badges, had some weird stick-on lettering in the windshield. But it's really stunning in person.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linedance posted:

I stopped taking pictures after a while because once you've seen 10 Astons...

Love that second photo btw. Mister high roller at the strip club, looks like he's popped in to argos for some cheap housewares.

The beater Aston, the street parked R8, the Turbo some guy clearly gives no gently caress about, that's London in a nutshell. I live by Chelsea Harbour where we get to hear all the footballers roaring past in their cars. The latest set is a Gallardo LP560 which sounds glorious, and a blacked out SLS with straight pipes that sounds less than.

Hell that unreleased Aston I posted a few pages back was in the Sainsbury's carpark :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bob NewSCART posted:

What exactly constitutes a beater aston? Also I like how there's a merc jeep parked infront of the rari.

It hasn't been washed in ages, has a London borough parking permit and the subsequent little dents and scratches on it, and is only a few years old judging by the number plate :psyduck:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linedance posted:

if I get a chance tomorrow or tuesday, I'll take a walk around the 'hood with my camera and see what kind of stuff I can stumble across.

Which borough are you in? We're on the Chelsea/Fulham border by Stamford Bridge.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here were a few interesting ones around town lately, I haven't taken any of the exotics in a while.

Legit:

I had no idea AMG made Diesels, I actually thought this was just someone adding badges until I learned otherwise.

I think this was Laguna Seca blue, I'm bummed I couldn't get a better picture of it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

VikingSkull posted:

AI as gently caress, take a picture of old 911, ignore newer Aston Martin in background.

To be fair, a 964 Carrera RS is probably worth twice what that Aston is.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
DVLA check says it's a '73, but that's all it says about it other than the engine being the correct size for the RS, 2.7l. It had some Historic Sports Car Club badges on it, for what it's worth.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 24, 2012

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Spotted near Piccadilly Circus

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It's missing the chevrons which are usually the dead giveaway on those. Might be a rebuild or WIP something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

Well, a 1000hp W16 engine with 4 turbos and vast myriad of radiators can't be light.

Without the cooling system the dressed engine is about 400kg, or 880 lbs.