Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Falken posted:

The only swap I'd bother with doing would be to get my hands on a 3.0 968 lump, and that would only be if mine grenaded.

At that point wouldn't it be better to take the bits you like from your S2 and put them on the 968 instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hmm, good point.

After reading that link I'm starting to think that 944 belongs in the other thread. Sure, a V8 conversion is AI, but the 944 Turbo S is a *properly* rare car, and handbuilt one from Porsche Motorsport at that.

Honestly it's like taking a matching numbers <insert musclecar variant they only made 100 of here> and putting an Ecoboost or VTEC engine in. Do that poo poo with a cooking model.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

a glorious hole posted:

First C7 just showed up at the GM dealership here.

At the last two ALMS races they've had some on display. The yellow ones with black grills look amazing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Probably the C7.R, I want one.

Yep, C7.R. According to the team people I spoke to last weekend in Austin it's coming along nicely.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I did a bike tour from Seattle to San Fran. These are the coolest 2 cars I saw.

Drag prepped Roadrunner at the public library in some tiny coastal town. I missed the dude who stepped out and drove it off. But I did hear it tearing away :getin:

Walking around San Fran, decided to take an alleyway to get back on Market. Lo and behold:

More rare than cool, but I was amazed to see one.

Andrew Frankel at Autocar drove the MG version again last week (it seems there are three new ones with the left over chassis): http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/mg-x-power-sv-driven

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I am not a particular fan of Jalopnik, but apparently there is an F40 out there that has the original window sticker (still on the window) and 172 original miles. :psyboom:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-an-f40-would-look-like-if-youd-bought-one-1442831212

Please let me stretch it's legs...I can hear it calling to me to be driven.

The problem is once they get to that level of garage queendom their main value (to people who think such things are important) becomes the fact that they've never been driven and they remain pieces of sculpture. Not to mention you'd probably have to replace a poo poo ton of stuff if you wanted to actually use it as Maranello intended.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Not sure. I don't right this minute, but I suspect the whole "last of the air-cooled" thing will give them some cachet in the future. I think they're just not old or uncommon enough to be considered classics yet. Go back another fifteen years, and yes, I do. Late-eighties Turbos are the image I always have in my mind as to what a 911 is, because those were the hot poo poo when I was a kid.

I asked because I didn't know what it was from the image, I'm not so hot on Porkers.

Spend some time on Pistonheads, you'll see the 993 is definitely on the way back up, price-wise. They were also the last 911 to built like a brick shithouse (ie before Wiedeking realized you could make 911s cheaply but charge lots for them and therefore make a lot of money), plus the greybeards love aircooled engines.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 25, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The previous generation 5 door is a sportwagon, not a hatchback, the rear overhang is too long.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

655321 posted:

and I've never allowed anyone to wear perfume in it so it literally smells and feels like a new car

Do you insist on smelling people before offering them a ride? What happens if you're having a spirited drive and you start to sweat?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I suppose it's no different to a neighbor who wouldn't let people wearing jeans sit in his car because the rivets could possibly mark his leather.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

I don't know, just caught one in the wild and personally though it was better looking in person than in the magazines.

It looks best in speed yellow with black grills, followed by BRG.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The front of the C7 and the front of the F12 look very similar, with the edge going to the Corvette IMO for not having all those silly swoopy holes all over the shop.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

No. It's about design not function. Let there be vents; lots of manufacturers can successfully cover a car in vents without them looking like poo poo. It's the shape, and layout, and the horrible shiny black plastic that makes it look like a hotwheels toy.

Except actually you're wrong and the vents are there because they found out, via the C6.R race car, that those vents need to be there to cool things like the brakes and the diff and the transaxle, but whatever, keep fighting the good fight.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Read what I said. I am aware that the vents are functional and there for a reason. I said that the shape and layout of the vents is poo poo compared to a car with decent styling, lots of which are absolutely drowning in vents. It looks like a plastic toy.

Apologies, I misunderstood your post. I still disagree about the styling but that's cool people have different tastes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
That clearcoated CF one looks like one of the continuations built by Dauer, before Edonis got the remaining tubs and mutilated them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BRIXMIS cars?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Fuckin Widowmaker.

He was in a Carrera GT from the pictures, not a 996 GT2.

Yet again someone dies because they got in the passenger seat with someone who hosed up. Such a shame. Can people please stop dying in cars for a bit?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Does anyone know how they're establishing horsepower parity between the DOHC 32V Nissan, merc and Volvo engines and the pushrod 16V ford and holden engines?

There's a good article in this month's Racecar Engineering about the Nissan and Merc engines and their development.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
At the risk of being a huge pedant that's not woodland camo, which refers to a specific pattern developed by the US and used in the 1980s and 1990s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Woodland

That's one of the more photorealistic patterns developed for hunters, maybe something like Realtree.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I remember a commentator saying they used to get up to 230 on the old Mulsanne. Jesus.

More than that - Group C cars were hitting 248-250 in the final years before the chicanes.Derek Bell (iirc) has a story about seeing a car in front of him at 240+ with the rear wing bowing towards the ground and then realizing his is probably doing the same thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GramCracker posted:

What always amazed me about the 1980's era LeMans cars was how drat fast they were. Best example is that the Porsche 962 STILL holds the Nurburgring lap record to this day with a time of 6:37. His qualifying time was 6:11 :psyduck: That was done in 1983 by Derek Bell:

Actually the lap record belongs to Stefan Bellof, not Derek Bell. And part of the reason those laptimes have never been beaten is those were the last years that full-fat prototypes raced the nordschleife. Now the fastest thing that goes round there under official timing and scoring are GT3 cars. If the full course was a round of the WEC you can bet that 30 years of advances in drivability, tyres, aero, and the like would mean we'd have a sub-6 second lap by now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
One of Formula E's gimmicks is that they want all the races to be on street circuits in downtown locations, because you can have electric cars in city centers.

I've said it before but will say it again, it's a pointless waste of time and money (and where exactly is that money coming from?). It's a spec series, so there's nothing to spur innovation and or new thinking. The batteries can't last more than half a race, so each team needs four cars for two drivers (like motorsport isn't expensive enough as it is) and they change cars at a pitstop. What is the loving point? Literally the only thing that's good about Formula E is they're using 18" wheels instead of tiny 13" ones like in F1.

Between the ACO and F1 both encouraging the use of different forms of energy recovery, and the ACO spurring the development of energy storage other than chemical batteries, what's the point of this series?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Do museum visits go in here or should they get their own threads? We happened to be in Nashville recently and went to the Lane Motor Musuem. It's a really interesting and eclectic collection of oddball cars. A load of Tatra saloons. Tons of obscure 3 wheel deathtraps. The best collection of fast Renaults in the US. A Nissan S-Cargo!! If you're ever in the area you really MUST check it out.

_1080734 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Untitled by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

The descriptions by the cars were pretty forthright!

The deathtrap in question:

_1080749 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

This must be the only Megane R26 in the country:

Lovely Turbo 2:

Lots more photos here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/drjonboyg/sets/72157639588539024/with/11855519854/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
You know, an ALMS paddock isn't like in F1, they let people (even people like me!) inside the garages and you can look at the cars in pretty close detail; the Corvettes were not running some AWD variant.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why is it that every concept/prototype looks so much more intense and unusual that the poo poo we end up with? I'm not really talking about that particular one so much as in general. Company puts out pictures and a prototype, everyone says how futuristic and cool it looks, then when the real deal comes out it looks like every other drat car on the road.

Because concept cars don't have to pass crash tests, or conform to specific requirements for things like the height or position or color of lights or reflectors, and if you're sculpting it out of clay you don't have to worry about how to productionize it or whether the intense styling of the tail actually causes lift at speed or overheats the brakes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Sometimes they'll preview an upcoming car by using some bits of it undisguised in a concept, like the Ford Saetta:
Ghia Saetta (1996) by Ford France, on Flickr

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I think that's an Eclipse in the background so it might have been taken over here.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It uses a 'spool' which seems to me is just a solid axle.

Interestingly the fastest car ever around the nurburgring had the same setup.

The fastest car ever around the Nurburgring's rear axle would have looked something like this:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Yeah, I just meant the spool thing. I wasn't aware of it before this.

oic

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, thought it was like $1500 or something. There is one for $750 but the ad says hydrolocked. Give it another 5 years or so.

Chumpcar doesn't work like that anymore. They have a big table listing what they consider the values to be for all eligible cars. Even when it was based on an AIV you came up with and showed them at tech, that was for a 'representative example' of that car, not the one you were actually racing. I don't know about the eastern or western regions but in the central region no one who finishes regularly in the top 10 would take less than $5k for their car, minimum.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So how do they determine the value of cars?

You know all those AIV values people submitted during tech? They compiled them all and then did some performance balancing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Das Volk posted:

I'm surprised, the car made a lot of sense in the bizarro world that is London. Your million+ pound flat would have a garage (or garridge, phonetically) where you park the real Aston, and this you cram into a permit bay on the street between two mid 90s Range Rovers. You take it to the shops and to restaurants, but when it's date night or high tea at the Ritz you park it for the DBS.

Actually none of that happens and people with that kind of money don't actually use city cars or drive themselves anywhere, hence the dismal sales.

Actually, you're half right here, but in being half right you highlight how badly the Cygnet failed. Last time I visited my parents in their Mediterranean tax haven I made a point of wandering around their building's parking garage (you always find some interesting things tucked away). As you might expect, Range Rovers and Cayennes were the most common, but almost every garage unit that had one or the other also usually had either a mini or a smart car (iirc there might actually have been more smart cars than Range Rovers). Not a single Cygnet to be seen, however.

However, as I understand it, the real reason Bez struck the deal to badge engineer the iQ was so that AM could meet the EU fleet CO2 figure, not because any of their customers actually wanted such a thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Maybe in those two photos with quite different angles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Easily. 365 GT4 2+2, 400i, 412i, 308 GT4, Mondial, FF...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

Pretty much, since they own Aston they can pilfer whatever IP they want. I think it looks awful on most of their cars but the new Mustang is really good looking.

Actually they sold Aston Martin quite a few years ago, just like they did with Land Rover. That hasn't stopped them from using what are basically Range Rover interiors in their trucks and Aston Martin grills on all their new cars.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Q_res posted:

Man, people are getting so stupid about this. You realize Ford is actually responsible for that Aston design language (even though they sold them), right? So they're ripping themselves off? But even putting that aside, what about the new Mustang is an Aston ripoff? Big mouthy grille with outboard headlights? Yep never seen that on a Mustang before. Seriously, what Aston does the Mustang even look like? I can't find it.

It's especially funny because I can remember when Astons were referred to as 'Beverly Hills Mustangs'.

Actually I think you'll find the Aston Martin grill shape predates Ford ownership by, oh. Aston Martin's entire life.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Am I wrong for saying that I like the looks of the Lagonda? I know it's a complete piece of poo poo underneath but the exterior has an odd appeal, as if Volvo and Ferrari in the 80s got together to make a car.

No, you're not wrong. The original dashboard would have been amazing if it had ever worked, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Those wheels are ghastly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

rscott posted:

Wanna rasterbate that and put it up on my wall :swoon:

Or support the actual artist: http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirdunny/shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
These are also some great track infographic prints: http://trackography.com/