Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Then why are you public enemy number one in the EV thread?

Because Phony Stark is a false prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Saukkis posted:

I wonder if it was possible to give the front motor higher gearing, maybe with a freewheel for the rear motor for top speed run.

What I find interesting on the videos is the reduced top speed at the latter half of the run. In the first high speed section ID.R reaches 270 KM/h but on the final straight it only manages 249 km/h. Could it only have the power for 250-270 km/h top speed and head wind reduces the top speed? Or maybe the motors and batteries heat up reducing the power output?

Dumas told me that cockpit temps were ~70C on the back straight towards the end of the lap. I am positive he said 70 and 17 but VW is supposed to be checking that for me. If I did hear right, then battery temp may well have been a factor.

The car was geared for 250km/h, but DRS added another 20km/h.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

I just find it funny that of the two tools VW group is using to reset lap records, one was designed for flawless reliability at 24 hours of race pace and pretty much just has some rules mandated limiters removed to go take lap records... and the electric one generally can only muster about one lap or hillclimb run.

Like yes, the ID-R is pretty neat, but it's telling that a major automotive company's best shot is so short of another car that's just something they had laying around.

I hope you realize the ID R was built (on a shoestring, btw) specifically to win Pikes Peak. There’s no point carrying more battery than you need, so why would they weigh it down with unnecessary kWh?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

... yes that's kind of specifically my point. You have 20km of battery capacity on this thing and it does 6m-ish at the ring. The 80s vintage prototype 956 with about the same pace would do about 200km between stops. Neither was built to the bleeding edge - I mean, they sold 956s to customers. I could take my credit card and buy club race grade prototype cars with about the same pace.

I just find the whole thing a bit depressing, the more I'm doing the math.

A lot needs to happen with energy density before a BEV race car could really compete with the 919 Hybrid.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Grakkus posted:

I still think they should make a TIE fighter scream.

If you ever go to a Formula E race that’s exactly what it sounds like.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

Tires have come along massively - modern 200TW street tires are probably roughly equivalent to 80s slicks. Downforce generation has come along massively - in the 80s they were basically inventing underbody based downforce and nowadays it's proven out enough you can best-guess shapes and get pretty close, much less what happens if you use any CFD. Shock absorbers, dampers, brakes, computer controls, chassis structures...

When they took the 919 out (which was not intended as a one lap wonder) it beat the 80s lap record by 50 seconds. VW group had all of that data handy; the ID-R should be able to be that much more extreme because it doesn't have any of the compromises necessary to do more than 20km on a charge, nor was it ever built to any rules. And yet...

The ID R budget was about €25 million. The 919 Hybrid budget was around €200 million a year, and the program ran for 4 years. If VW had spent a billion dollars I’m pretty sure it would have gone faster. The ID R isn’t even a bespoke chassis, it’s a Norma M20 under there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

Do you care enough to read a wall of analysis text if I write it? Because I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to write one.

Short version is the Nurburgring is annoying to compare times to because the VLN stuff uses a different course configuration and mostly the only people who bother with the same configuration VW ran are people dickwaving production car lap times, which are always going to be pretty feeble compared to actual race cars. But it's easy to compare Bellof's old 956 lap record because they ran 962/956s everywhere back in the day.

That's fine, but the 919 Hybrid actually had to compete under these things called "rules". Meanwhile, at something close to sea level, I'd wager an M20 with a good driver, in plain CN spec (not exotic 'strap horsepower to it' pikes peak variants) would be right around a 6 minute lap of the 'ring too.

LOL, gotta love the internet and its ability to mainsplain anything. Mate, I’ve seen the ID R run at Pikes Peak and the ‘Ring. I’ve seen Normas run at Pikes Peak too. The Norma has nowhere near the aero efficiency of the ID R, not its ability to punch out of slow corners.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's nice. Why'd it only turn a 6:05 lap then?

You mean why did it set the second-fastest lap time ever at the circuit despite having a top speed of only 270km/h (when DRS was active)? Because modern tire technology, aero, and an all-wheel drive powertrain with instant torque makes for a faster laptime than a 956 (which is a bit lighter, a bit less powerful, and which has a much higher top speed).

If you're asking why it didn't get closer to the 919 Evo's time, could it be because the 919 Evo has about 500hp more and can go 100km/h faster in a straight line? Or could it be because you're a troll. I don't know.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What if I told you that the Type R feels like a normal Civic ride-quality wise in comfort mode

Does it? I only got a chance to drive one for about 15 minutes and it must have been in sport, because it felt as stiff and unyielding as an Audi R8.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe it was in R+

May well have been. It was intriguing and I've wanted to spend some proper time with one but Honda hasn't had any on the press fleet in a while.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
How very dare you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

The FXX I don't even think they'd let you bring home. You just told them what track you wanted to play at and they transported it there for you.

That is not actually true, you can keep your FXX or whatever wherever you want.

And no, the Stingray isn’t going to be some limited edition model.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Beautiful cars, the Voisins. I've seen one in the flesh, at the Tampa Bay Automobile Museum. They have a partly leather-bodied Voisin along with a bunch of odd-ball poo poo. As my father and I were oggling a one-off French micro-car my eyes wandered over to the Tatra truck next to me, which just so happens to have a Kegresse track system installed. Two things I never thought I'd see, right next to each other! Lots of early FWD cars, to include what is left of an experimental FWD Formula car from the '30s. Every V8 Tatra car minus the 700. The only factory 4wd Mustang. An early Aston Lagonda V8, a well used Citroen SM, VW Schwimmwagen, a 4wd German Ford cop car, and, and, and... loving place is awesome. Weird cars, on-site staff who can and will tell you everything about the vehicles you are looking at, plus all the cars except for the Ruxton get driven on the road. Anyways.

Huh, sounds like I need to visit there. If you haven’t been to the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville you are similarly . A load of Tatras, European microcars, Kei cars, rally cars, and other stuff you just don’t see anywhere else. Other than Tampa, apparently.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There were four F1s and four EB110s at the Quail last week. I took a bunch of photos and then made them all look too bright in Lightroom, enjoy: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/these-mclaren-f1s-and-bugatti-eb110s-were-the-stars-of-car-week/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
That’s Gordon Murray! I think there’s a reflection of my shirt in one photo, so if you meant that one, thank you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

glyph posted:

I hadn’t thought about mechanical injection would actually need to do to map fuel (or much about mechanical injection all if I’m honest), that’s really cool. Doesn’t ferrari (are there others? there probably are, I honestly don’t know) use a 3d cam profile for an [effectively] infinitely adjustable vetch style variable lift? Seems like a huge ask for cam bearings to have the shaft slide axially through them.

Growing up 15 miles from Watkins glen has put an amazing assortment of old and rare cars in front of my eyes, I have to say that it’s only in the last half dozen years or so, since I’ve been working at a place with access to a machine shop, that I’ve given pre-war stuff more than a cursory glance. I get it now- just looking at a machine of that era through the lens of this era, you can pick up the decisions and see how ‘let’s throw this at the wall and see what sticks’ automobile engineering was then compared to now.

I love stories like that, and there’s an awesome thread (engineering anecdotes) there, but stories/anecdotes like never really seem to come up without some prompting.

A turbocharged 917 engine dates back to 1971ish, that’s not pre-war!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yes but me being snarky got you to share some more cool poo poo about that engine with the thread. :)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Ok now I can take about it, the Taycan is loving awesome. You’d expect it to be, because it’s a $200k Porsche, but it feels like a modern 928 but with useable back seats because of the rear doors, and electricity instead of a V8.

Also, it is ridiculously fast when you want it to be.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Brony Car posted:

That reminds me of this Top Gear stunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjxbLoA6UJ8

That Citroen is actually used for filming horse races.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

EightBit posted:

They're water cooled and probably don't run much hotter than consumer engines. F1 cars are fast because they're light and small.

They have a very narrow temperature window and will go into limp mode if you let them cool down too much.

Also the engines need preheating overnight before the crank can even turn over.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28474453/driving-a-modern-formula-one-car/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

boxen posted:

So, I don't have a source for this that's not :filez:, but for anyone who likes goofy engine designs, look for a book called "Some Unusual Engines" by an author with the last name of Setright.

It was written in 1975 and has been out of print for I don't know how long, but it's full of interesting and oddball internal-combustion engine designs that were tried over the years. I was talking to some coworkers today about goofy designs. In the past I found where some dude uploaded it to his website, but if you ever find a copy, check it out.

Excerpt:

Anyone who reads this thread and considers themselves a car nerd but doesn’t know who LJK Setright is is either a: a poser not a car nerd or b: in desperate need of spending some time reading.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'd lean more towards the latter, but wouldn't be surprised at all at people not knowing about an English author who did most of his work half a century ago.

His stuff used to appear in American mags regularly. In the 1990s, too.

Anyway he’s worth checking out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

He blew it all on a Bristols and Hondas.

Exactly. Mad bugger used to try driving with his left foot doing the accelerator and brake, and the right foot doing the clutch, too.

If that’s not automotive insanity I don’t know what is.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Please don't say things like this.

Yes that’s a really awful expression. And if you’re quoting other sources without links it just makes you look like the sort of mouthbreathing oval office who gets a gleeful smile and raises his voice when he gets to say something transgressive like “oval office hair”.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
My passport says I’m still a subject of her majesty so you can gently caress right off with that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It’s never a pussy hair, or a minge whisker, or a vag tuft. Is that because only cunts use the phrase “oval office hair” in an engineering context?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I try not to be racist about Australians but you cunts sure make it hard.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

JAAAAAAYSUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

is that why your country is on fire???

No, that’s god punishing the chain draggers for having the world’s worst carbon emissions per capita.

Also for the fact that half their MPs are actually from New Zealand which turns out to be illegal if you’re a chain dragger.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Don't forget about the Dauer 962, the other street version of the 962! This was my childhood dream car.

I love the fact that more than one company looked at the 962 and decided that it needed to be a streetable road car.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1994-dauer-962-le-mans/

There was also the Schuppan 962CR. There was one parked on display in the basement of Porsche’s Atlanta HQ last summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuppan_962CR

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Crank it out with Gulf livery.

956s/962s do not belong in Gulf livery hth

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It’s also $700 plus a monthly fee: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/07/would-you-pay-700-plus-a-monthly-fee-for-a-digital-license-plate/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Hypercar was always a stupid idea. The cars were going to be restricted to 800hp so the Aston Martin had to junk it’s hybrid system, and all the cars would also be BoP’d so even if you spent $200 million developing a really fast one it would just get gimped with added weight and air restrictors.

Meanwhile you can make an LMDh also look like your road cars and spend a tenth of that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife's LS has an auto trunk and it's awesome. Opens up quickly, and closes up quickly with a push of a button no complaints about it at all.

The button to close the trunk or a tailgate is the second-best modern car convenience feature after auto brake hold.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Almost all of these were crushed but there’s one in the basement of the Lane museum in Nashville.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
A 2.2L turbocharged 4 with 380hp https://www.carthrottle.com/post/that-time-citroen-tried-to-buy-back-and-destroy-all-its-group-b-specials/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

The only time I've ever used the handbrake while driving in my 10 years of driving manual is when setting off in steep hills. There is 0 need otherwise. I've never understood the hysteria in the UK of applying the handbrake at every drat light. Just makes me cringe.

Because it’s something you’re tested on in the driver’s test, which is light years harder than the “just drive around the block without crashing” ‘test’ you take in America.