Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Piano posted:

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I would vastly prefer a every-post-must-be-a-picutre rule for both threads. It works fine for the other subforums generally. Couldn't hurt to try out?

That works great for picture threads but one thing that was nice about the mechanical failures thread is that there was often insightful discussion about the specific failures posted that would otherwise get you banned under such a rule. I like AI because there is latitude to actually have a discussion and learn things. I probably shouldn't be so "upset" at these changes but I guess I just don't see a need for them.

Though spoiler tag abuse most definitely is a forum-wide rule.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I've always wanted a Stingray for the way they look (always reminded me of the Wacky Racers as a kid) but one with a supercharged 454? Oh my.

I'd kill three of you at random to be able to run hotlaps in this thing on a track.

Also, you get some great hits when you do a GIS for "viper engine in a"

:psyduck:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

That's what I get for posting from my phone :( I was so excited, too :(

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Falken livery is one of my favorites.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
That s2000's got to be ridiculously fast. Usually guys running the sidewinder style turbo manifolds that locate the turbo where it is are pretty far into the game. Those fenders look like poo poo but to each his own. I wouldn't put them on my car but I can appreciate needing wider rubber. There are cleaner ways to do that though.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

ash with a five posted:

I think there's a S2000 contest currently going on to have the weirdest, most nuttery fenders you can.

11.5J all round haha.

I like the look of those but not in such an extreme way. 11.5" in the back means something like 305 tires and I imagine a retarded amount of power up the drivetrain. Curious to know how they've solved the glass diff problem. A lot of people buy the InlinePro $4,000 300zx n/a diff kit but I'd probably just install a Ford 8.8 with the InlinePro adapter kit. Aluminum Cobra diff with LSD isn't going to be broken by any kind of s2000. You'd have to worry about the transmission long before the diff.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IOwnCalculus posted:

If murdering someone got you a car, Singer would be outpacing Hitler.

How is this not the description for AI on the main forums page yet?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

rscott posted:

Is he wearing the cone to be more aerodynamic for when the driver inevitably slams on the brakes and launches him through the air?

He's got on gloves and a sufficient steering wheel. He's clearly a racecar driver and that cone is clearly his helmet. I see a snell certification sticker on it.

TyChan posted:

Doc's Chops turned this:

into this:

I think that's cool.

What's common between the two other than the engine?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wallpaper is pretty awesome AI poo poo:

LobsterBoy's Buick in front of The Gamble House with a nice exposure.

(link to source): http://i.imgur.com/EZswK.jpg

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 25, 2012

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Krakkles posted:

How about posting just the picture?

I don't have it on my phone? I had a pic of my desktop to send him. The pic was on my phone so I thought I'd post it since I liked it and I'm not near a PC at the moment.

[edit] just added an img.ur link. Droid does.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 25, 2012

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Moxie Omen posted:

I expect some BLARGH WRONG THREAD IDIOT reactions from this.

That looks perfect and I would not change a thing. The red and gold go perfectly, the wheels are a nice size, and the suspension doesn't look retarded. Good job.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Lightbulb Out posted:

I think those wheels are going to rub the gently caress out of the inside of those fenders though, both turning in the front and compression in the rear. Oh well.

Maybe slightly in the rear on compression but I think I've got less wheel gap than that in the front and I've never rubbed once. My z32 was even lower and never rubbed either. The front looks perfectly fine.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

sofullofhate posted:

I don't know how we feel about Jay Leno around here, but this video brought tears to my eyes. Thank goodness there are rich bastards like him in the world willing to spend retarded money to be able to beat on incredible cars on public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxlql0Ebnc

I know it's a replica, but a $250k replica is still about 5x as expensive as I could justify for a weekend fun car.

Oh that sound. Jay is the man and so are his cars. I got wood when he turned that thing on.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't want to step on toes, but it's probably the best 4cyl ever sold in a production car.

That noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMyQ9XbCfss

I think the f series Honda engines sound better but I'm probably partial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OyO-b_S-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzW9UnZQ7U

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Eh, gently caress it. Carbon everything!

It's that season. Wish I could find the Clarkson pumpkin I saw before :(

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2012

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

MiniFoo posted:

1963 was the only year with the split window, and is desirable because of it. :eng101:

Why did they go away from it? Was it a visibility issue? I can't imagine it was for cost because those single piece back windows cost as much as the car.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
slab.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that the episode where they were all at Imola or something with different cars and they were trying to beat some lap time and they were all talking to their cars before the laps? Hammond had a Noble or something?

Yep that's the one. It was actually really well done. The "talking to the cars" bit was kinda hokey but they had to have an excuse to pan around those cars so slowly.

Unrelated but very cool:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Jesus christ, post pictures of cars for gently caress's sake. Nobody clicks on this thread for HYDROGEN CHAT. I clicked on the thread because it had 14 updates. Who doesn't want to look at badass car stuff at 9:00am from the toilet? Apparently none of you guys. Thx for ruining my poo poo.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

grover posted:

Normally, I'd post antics like this in the stupid poo poo thread (or not at all), but I like what he's done to that tractor, and must admit... though youtube has plenty of tractor drifting and burnouts and gimmick poo poo, this is the first time I've ever seen someone actually smoke the tires doing an open-road burnout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHl24QynOM

This is great, I'd hope you wouldn't consider this a stupid antic.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Oh hello there McLaren MP4. I'm on the left, my co-worker on the right. Neither of us own the car, unfortunately. The guy was parked hard in front of Sullivan's in Baton Rouge. When the guy left he got on the freeway and railed it and it sounded like heaven.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Call me crazy but I don't like it. I can't quite put my thumb on why either. I don't like the Italian flag trim especially. It makes sense but it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me.

What's the problem again?

That car is loving sick and anyone that doesn't agree has lost the little kid inside of them.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Why is a picture of dropping the name Corvette and bringing back car names that nobody in the current car buying market remembers in this thread? That picture clearly goes in awful automotive poo poo. Those names read like a Grand Theft Auto designer created them.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
You know what's awesome? This is fuckin awesome.

A friend of mine just txted this; shot in Venice Beach.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Here's my little brother's N/A z32. It's got a built bottom end, long tube headers and a straight through exhaust, and an Infiniti j30 ECU. It's pretty quick.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Things I love: Donks and Super Punchout

Snagged this on Florida Blvd in Baton Rouge for the locals.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Jesus christ, you people bitching about a picture per post requirement need to get real problems in your lives.

For content, saw this on Mayday Garage's facebook feed and it is definitely AI.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Congrats, man!

Nobody hoons a wedding like an Australian, that's for drat sure.

Video:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/locals-beg-police-to-halt-suburban-bridal-burnouts/story-fn7x8me2-1226221292205

I miss talking to Cat Terrist on AIM when I worked over-night in the mid 2000's :(

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kimbo305 posted:

meatpimp, will you get mad if I don't cite what tumblr/blog I get my pics from?

I legitimately laughed out loud at that :lol:

I'd kill babies for a 993 turbo.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
That dude hanging out of the back seat is what I was trying to find so bad :(

This guy has the right idea. Low-slung, wide, and unsafe as hell.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

This thing is stunning. The fact that it was garage-built after work is even cooler.

Content:

This is the best photo angle for a Viper.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 14, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife and I have been in Maine the last week visiting a good friend of mine. He happens to race in a running rebels stock car class at a local paved circle track so my wife and I became his honorary pit crew. It's a '92 CRX chassis and body, engine, etc. Here's the owner and my wife:

Making some toe adjustments between practice sessions:

Here are most of the cars in his varsity class:

I'm not licensed for the track but I still went out for a few practice sessions with the JV group. It was a loving blast. It was the first time I ever 1. drove a stock car and 2. ever drove on a paved circle track.

Bonus utter destruction of one of the pickups in the truck series. It was so badly destroyed that we had to rally eight dudes to get the rear end up onto the trailer.

That was a really great experience.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Sorry if this is a repost but you don't see these go up for sale very often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...#ht_2753wt_1182

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
When people close their eyes this is what they should imagine an F1 car looks like:

Clean lines, huge slicks, big aero, and loving Marlboro livery.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Not to drag up the F1 thing again (even though there's nothing wrong with that) but just found this on Youtube. I'm not up on documentaries of F1 but this is great.

Can't embed it based on youtube but here's the url:

Senna

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fucknag posted:

Senna is amazing, got a chance to see it when it came to the local arthouse theater near me a couple years back. Absolutely gripping.

Goddamn, I wish I could see this in the theater. Apparently it's also on Netflix so I'll watch it on the TV later. I'm getting amped up for Rush.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Saw this girl today. Sorry for the resolution; took the photo from a ways back at a long light. I wish it wasn't rush hour so I could hear it unwind.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

PainterofCrap posted:

Wasp nests are cool, just not when they're in cars.

They make great natural sculpture.

not a goddamn bit of any of this is awesome :fireman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
It's been a while since I've seen anyone mention Nelson Racing Engines (NRE) in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6am0rCwAk