Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

bolind posted:

Stumbled upon this on my way home yesterday:

Some sort of stretched, Ute'd Mercedes. Possibly an old hearse? It had ads for a body shop on the back and was sprayed in that color changing purple paint.

Edit: a lookup in the rego db says it's an E280...

It's a flower car, used in Mafia funerals everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved.

So are you going to try and sell the joke you just recycled from the top of the page or are you done with that racket?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sockington posted:

To all you HOA home owners, this was done in a townhouse complex parking lot :canada:.

It's not truly :canada: unless it's done in a Canadian Tire parking lot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Linedance posted:

The idea of a car like the Veyron having a "factory warranty" is a bit perverse, to be honest. If I were spending that much for one, I'd expect the company to fly a mechanic to wherever it broke down and repair it on site, whilst arranging my 5 star hotel for the night and alternative travel arrangements for the inconvenience.
If I had a Veyron, I would expect it to be fixed before I even knew it needed fixing. Bugatti could arrange the repair with my staff while I was on my yacht.
The idea of spending millions on a car and then having to do something so common as driving it to a dealership to have them sort out a funny rattle on their dime doesn't fit my idea of what ownership of a seven-figure car should entail.

You know that this is exactly the service agreement for the Veyron, practically word-for-word right?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Devyl posted:

Is it just me or has the XJ220 been popping up a lot? I've always wanted one.

It seems like people are warming up to it finally. The XJ220 was always kind of the red-headed stepchild of the supercar world; because of that, you can buy entry to the supercar club for relatively little money with an XJ220 - you can buy them all day long for the cost of a higher-spec Porsche 911, as far as I know.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I think the C7 is godawful. It's overwrought and has a very confused design language of too many incoherent shapes and surfaces. The C6 is much better overall, and will stand the test of time far better than this loving Autobot wannabe.

CommieGIR posted:

To contribute:

If only they had put it in the R8 like they said they might, then I would still never be able to afford it :(

Didn't this engine end up having basically nothing in common with the R10's engine, other than the fact that they're both V12s?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The Rocket Salad posted:

Anyone know what it is? Looks kind of like a twin engined VW Fox but I can't find any info, just pics.

Pretty sure it's only got one engine. It does have rear-mounted radiators though (like the Quattro rally car), because if there's one thing 1980s era Audis/VWs with longitudinal engines lack, it's room for adequate cooling under the hood (at high horsepower, at least).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

It actually does. You move next to something noisy where home values are lower because of the noise, complain until it gets shut down or silenced, then sell the house for a small profit and move next to something else that's noisy. rinse and repeat until you have made a trivial amount of money ruining everything for everybody who isn't you. Also known as the american way :911:

There's actually pretty big money in that racket, especially if your target is airports. All the rich morons who built their McMansions out west of the city I live in bitch constantly about the general aviation airport out there...despite the airport having been there since the 1960s. What makes their argument even more frustrating (that we're disturbing their quiet country way of life) is that there really isn't anything quiet or country about their lifestyle; all these houses are on like one acre lots...its just a typical suburban subdivision with slightly bigger houses. :psyduck:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Where is the wheelie bar? This car would not be able to move under its own power without tipping over backwards on the first pull and sheering off the fan.

Also, radials sound like rear end when they idle, is that normal?

Yes, radials hate idling because they're designed to be run at high power for most of their lives (they're airplane engines after all), so their carbs and cams are geared to high power output and nothing else.

And forget about the wheelie bar, that thing needs training wheels. The first time you get into the power, the motor has so much torque you'd practically roll that Beetle over on its side.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The way I understand it, any inline 4 stroke engine with an even number of more than 4 cylinders is perfectly balanced, because the movement of each piston is perfectly offset by another piston. You need more than 4 because of the 4 strokes of the combustion cycle each piston can only fire once every 720* of crank rotation.

I thought all those gigantic diesels were (are?) two-stroke, which pretty much throws 4-stroke balancing out the window.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Looks like a challenge to me. Redline and 130+ isn't in the "NO!" section. :getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

What on earth possessed him to do such a completely out of left field swap???

(It's loving incredible he pulled it off but holy poo poo man.... that's really just out there)

What possessed him to do it? My guess is a lack of Impreza Coupes in the model line-up. STUPIDRU!!! :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

trouser chili posted:

It's parked on top of the Scout now.

And yes, it's a Ferret.

You missed a big opportunity. I'd have bought it and driven it in (or into) a St. Patrick's Day parade. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Puddin posted:

Looking at those makes me think that I'll never own a 911, they all look like nightmares to work on.

Air-cooled 911s are actually super easy to work on; even in the relatively crowded 964 and 993 engine bays anything that needs frequent servicing is pretty easy to get at, even with the engine in place, and any disassembly required to get at something will be straightforward. Worse comes to worse, dropping the engine is very easy; my dad and I did it once in his '73 in less than two hours. The water-cooled cars are a nightmare, I'll grant you that.

Here's my favourite 911-related engine bay:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 30, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Fucknag posted:

I actually saw an S4 Esprit of all things the other day, wish I'd gotten a picture.

Speaking of, I did get this shot today of a California I came across:

Sweet license plate meme bro.

Still looks like a big car swallowing a small car whole.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, it's an E85 Z4 dressed up to look like a Z8. I have to say, it's a pretty good replica.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Yeah that's definitely fake, the dash in the z8 had a central gauge pod. Those things have held onto their value to a ridiculous extent.

That's funny, because nobody wanted the Z8 when it came out. Guess it just adds to how collectable it is.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

In regards to F1, I think the beauty comes with pure function. The cars get prettier every generation IMO. There isn't a single surface that wasn't meant to be there.

At the risk of raising the ire of The Worst Posters, I disagree. The cars of the late 1970s and early 80s (the ones with the double rear wings and whatnot) aren't exactly pretty, and the cars they've run in the last three or four years are pretty ugly too.

As for the prettiest cars, I would agree that the last wingless cars are the nicest, but the cars of the late 80s and early 90s are pretty nice too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

rscott posted:

Well you are in the middle of nowhere, that isn't everybody's thing. I wonder how close the closest grocery store is?

Having your own air strip would be loving amazing though. What's the biggest thing you could land on a ~2k foot runway?

Not much - probably a Cessna Caravan at the largest.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

dandaman posted:

Just found a video from the stands...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3R68Dc4W9Y

I watched that video and threw up red, white and blue...is that normal?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I read up on the Formula E specs and even with full power available, they're not exactly fast cars as race cars go. 270 bhp in an 800 kg car makes it about as fast as a Formula Ford. Also, a limited top speed of 140 mph.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

This, I'm undecided:

http://trucktracks.com/en/

Probably awesome, though I want to see the home-built redneck copies.

Considering what my street looks like right now, it's a great idea. I wonder if they make a set for an E46 BMW...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

That's not a rug. That's carpet in the same pattern. Like, you could do the entire floor of a room in that pattern.

Why stop at just one room? Do the whole damned house! :getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slavvy posted:

What's funny is that Toyota currently possess the architecture to make a 370z type car and just aren't because of policy. All you would need is the IS250's subframes on a coupe body, with a slightly hopped up version of the IS350 v6 and a manual transmission out of the IS250 with stronger internals. It wouldn't be costly or difficult from a manufacturer's perspective and would basically be a direct competitor for the 370z, built using the same parts-bin principle and with similar performance.

Didn't Toyota and BMW sign a partnership agreement a couple years ago in which one of the goals was to jointly develop a future sports car? This might be a hint as to where Toyota might take their car if or when that partnership comes to fruition.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

God that's like an old slingshot dragster but somehow even more unsafe. I love it! :swoon:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oh god did he just prop that poor engine with the starter? :gonk:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Inertial starter, it's supposed to work like that.

I was referring to how he used the starter to turn the engine over through four or five blades before he started it - an action that should be done very carefully by hand. If that engine had sat for more than 30 minutes (or was fully cold), that's a good way to bend a rod if/when the piston tries to compress any fuel or oil that accumulated in the combustion chamber.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

That's how big radials work. Too big to do it by hand (like kickstarting a literbike), pump the oil out with the starter with magnetos off, then turn on the spark and set the exhausts on fire.

That depends on the engine; large engines are designed to be cleared by the starter (like the R-3350 in your video), but in a small radial like the R-670 (used in the VW video, and an engine that I know relatively well) the starter is strong enough that it could ruin the engine if it hydrolocked. The manual for the aircraft with the engine in question attached explicitly says to clear the engine by hand only before starting.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The little old lady from Pasadena sold her super stock Dodge for that thing?

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is the most brilliant thing ever

It's so stupid that it becomes totally awesome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Fucknag posted:

So bizarre seeing a radial with an even cylinder count. The old gas-powered radials you see in old fighters and such have to use an odd number of cylinder, entirely because of the four-stroke cycle; if each cylinder fired in sequence, you'd have a full powered crankshaft revolution followed by a full unpowered one, which isn't great for performance, so they fire every other one as the shaft spins. If they used an even number, only half the cylinders would fire, so they have to use an odd number, usually 5 or 7 (sometimes multiple rows, ie 14 or 28 cylinders).

Not really; an odd number of cylinders in a radial engine maintains the "fire every other cylinder" firing order that they use. For example, a seven cylinder radial has a firing order of 1-3-5-7-2-4-6, which as you can see produces a firing order where the gap is constantly one cylinder, even between the end of one firing cycle and the beginning of another. In a six cylinder radial, it would be 1-3-5-2-4-6, which has a two cylinder gap between the firing of #5 and #2 and a zero cylinder gap between the end of the cycle at #6 and the beginning of the next cycle at #1. An even-cylindered single row radial would not last long as it would quickly shake itself to pieces (or at least tear itself off the engine mounts).

Now a double row radial gets a lot more complicated in terms of firing order; typically you fire the top cylinder of one row, then the bottom cylinder of the next row, then continue that pattern offset by 120 degrees until all the cylinders have fired. In a 14 cylinder, double-row radial (with one row numbered 1-7 and the second row 8-14), the firing order is 1-10-5-14-9-4-13-8-3-12-7-2-11-6. And if you REALLY want complicated, look now further than the firing order of the Pratt R-4360 4-row, 28-cylinder engine...it's enough to make my pea-sized pilot brain spin like the turbine engines I am so very grateful for. :)

As an aside, you will never find a multi-row radial engine with an odd number of rows, as again you can't maintain a smooth firing order in such an engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBMsdXGOm5A

That is insane. It seems like there would be so many moving parts working in such severe conditions that stuff would be breaking constantly, but I guess it must be pretty reliable to have been used in airplanes?

Believe me, things broke all the time with those engines; even by the meagre standards of the day, the R-4360 was not a particularly reliable engine. According to the old salts I know, the last, high-powered radial engines (like the R-4360 and the Wright R-3350) had a 50% chance of failure before 50 hours of operation; if they lasted that long, they'd typically be good for up to 2,500 hours after that, provided they weren't abused and were maintained properly.

Contrast that to the modern Pratt and Whitney Canada PW100-series turboprop engine, which puts out roughly the same kind of power as those late model radials. Not only is the PW100 literally a ton lighter than the R-4360 (and about 1,300 pounds lighter than the Wright R-3350), it can run on the aircraft without overhaul so long as the maintenance monitoring program show no abnormalities, which could be several thousand hours...maybe more (the reduction gearbox is another story altogether though).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

13 INCH DICK posted:

Pfffft fuel economy

Says the man who drives a rollerskate with a lawnmower engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

For those that don't know (or didn't read Jalopnik yesterday), this is the sole street-legal 935, owned by Mansour Ojjeh of TAG fame. Even though it sort of isn't a 935; it's a standard 930 body and interior, fitted with the engine from the 934 race car, combined with the brakes, suspension, aero kit and wheels(?) from a 935, all done by Porsche themselves.

So it is kind of a special car in a way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The fact the people are frothing at the mouth because that Ferrari is the wrong colour means it is exactly the right colour.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

xzzy posted:

I think the issue with Ferrari is they're letting aerodynamics dictate the form, which really handcuffs what they can do with the styling. Great for performance, bad for finding stuff to hang on your walls.

The ironic thing about this is that it is well known in the Formula 1 circle that Ferrari's wind tunnel supposedly sucks rear end and doesn't really produce consistent, good data.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1200 pounds of car, 1200 pounds of engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The route for Goonball has to follow the original Cannonball Run route. Anything else is just wrong.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

This is like filling a fire extinguisher with fake snakes as a joke.

You kind of giggle until someone has to use it, then OH GOD EVERYTHING IS STIL ON FIRE.

You've got the wrong idea. This car isn't about going around and fighting fires, its about going around and making fires.

Or not going around and making fires

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

These are the very same people who think that the next Corvette will very definitely be mid-engined this time. Totally. Not like the last time when we were wrong, or the time before that, or the time before that one either. This time we've totes got it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLHStnfb9E
At least there is some video evidence of this flat plane mustang, and it sounds gnarly

Yeah, that's not a flat-plane noise; it sounds pretty much like any other high-revving cross-plane V8 (like the outgoing M3, for one).

This is a flat-plane noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmUfxlJjXw

There really isn't any way you can make a cross-plane engine sound like that. Once again, it's the retards at the car magazines trying to come up with stupid poo poo to sell their rag and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

4.5L is like the "limit" to a flat plane crank, similar to how 4 bangers top out at 2.3L.

You can go above it but vibration becomes A Thing. Flat plane V8's are basically siamesed 4 bangers.

That vibration issue is exactly why we will probably never see a mainstream car like a Mustang use a flat-crank engine, even in limited production variants. It plays havoc with the the engine's long-term reliability, which is all very well and fine in a car that doesn't see a lot of mileage, like a Ferrari, but not in a car like a Mustang. Beyond that, there are a number of cross-plane V8s out there that rev just as highly and easily as any flat-plane V8.