Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I get very angry about other peoples styling decisions.

edit:

Photo unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Cat Terrist posted:

No, it wasnt.

Believe it or not, this was the at the time best believed setup to work with the technolgy and tyres they had. One of the big things they wanted was a all wheel genuine drift which sticky tyres and heaps of neg camber stop. The positive camber thence allowed the tyres to slip better and allow more throttle response to the drive when it's on a proper drift.

So basically, you couldnt really steer these things with the wheel at full race speed, it was all footwork.

Tracks also were no where near as good as we have now too.

We can laugh at how wrong they were at the time but it did work impressively well with a driver with huge balls.

Close. Bias ply tires were poo poo, but the culprit here is the poo poo metallurgy and steering design. Everything then used kingpin steering, which is bulky and weak. Positive camber puts the contact patch of the wheel under the kingpin, reducing the torsional force on it(and the bearing) and reducing or eliminating bump steer. Wagons had been using this trick for centuries.

And they didn't want an all wheel drift, it was just a byproduct of bias ply tires and their inherent sidewall flexibility. Early car tires would give 20-30 degrees of slip angle at max load, giving the appearance of a slide while actually being in full grip. Think of those slo-mo videos of drag racing tires wrinkling up, only it's the contact patch going one direction while the wheel is facing another. Modern tires still do this, it's basic physics of tire grip, but they only give a couple degrees of slip angle and you don't really notice.

edit: I'm in a really angry mood tonight. :(

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 29, 2012

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Bitching about differences in aesthetics is not awesome AI car poo poo.

This is,

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Getting trolled by first time thread posters. Woah.

Well when you set it up as perfectly as that who can blame them?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

You suck at operating a forklift. This guy doesn't. Assuming it isn't fake, et cetera and so on.

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=34305

I've never seen someone try dropping a coin into a bottle with one, but I've picked up coins with a forklift before.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Over complex, worth it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Image spam page!
:regd08:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I love Oxbrain mega posts.

OXBRAIN SHOULD I BUY A FESTIVA FOR $500???

The answer is yes.

http://youtu.be/9r_d-2cX9Co

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

:stare:

I think you just found my new favorite cause of death.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

No, they are terrible cars. They arent even that good as a runaround, which is exactly what they are built for. A lovely Suzuki Swift of all things shows how a runabout should be done and that's still not exactly a good car. But it's a drat good little runabout.

Why would you think that a large four door family car was built as a run around?

A Suzuki swift won't fit five adults plus luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

The megarule should be changed to allow for no more than one post of comments between pictures. If you want to post just a comment, do so, but if someone else beats you to it you get probated.