Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if this is awesome or terrible.

But 2 guys managed to get 2 Dodge Calibers over 200KPH (125+MPH)

And got busted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/08/22/calgary-high-river-speeding.html

quote:

Police in High River, Alta., stopped two Dodge Calibers this week for speeds of more than 200 kilometres per hour.

One of the cars was clocked on radar at 220 km/h and the other at 200 km/h on Monday night. In both incidences, the speed limit is 80 km/h.

RCMP say both of the cars were driven by men from Calgary, who were given speeding summons for a mandatory court appearance in Okotoks, Alta., in October.

Safe to assume SRT4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

keykey posted:

Oh, but it did. Just not in the American market, you'd have to travel to Australia to get one. It was the Holden SS Ute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute

As soon as the 15 year time comes up, I think I'm going to check out importing some of those into Canada and flipping them.
and probably go broke in the process

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

blk posted:

Please don't tell me that's a real 959 underneath
If someone ever did that with a legit 959 they would rot in hell for eternity, after being killed by the porsche community.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If there is big growler bush, that photo should just be 80s.jpg

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

280ZX and the Z31 300ZX did too. Never had the pleasure of using it though. Still had the original can of compressed air in the 300 when I sold it. Looked like a little propane can from a camp stove IIRC.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TyChan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTBHCNHaQo

It's spuer cool until you're required to unfold all those bills. Also, "BaconMoose" said "The $1 piggies took around six hours to prepare." You'd think he had better things to do with his time.

No way. He sure showed them!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some guys daily driver near my wife's office.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boat posted:

This one's better, though :nws: for language. Can't say I blame the guys though. Depleted uranium rounds the size of a soda can are no loving joke.

http://youtu.be/kkkhYg8F2og

That GAU sounds like a mad dragon

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I believe it's functional, but holy gently caress its ugly.

Any idea about the louvers on the fenders?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

1985 Mustang GT on Ebay. 1800 Miles on the odometer. Someone on another forum put it well: Too mint to hack up, to boring to drive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1800-Mile-All-Original-85-Mustang-GT-/160897682031?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item25763fca6f#ht_500wt_1182

Bidding ended at $19,200 and he didn't take it :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is awesome^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Found out my Grandfather passed away yesterday evening. I've posted his cars before (old thread) but they deserve a repost. He was pretty AI, these were all year round daily drivers in Minneapolis.

Sorry about losing your grandpa. :( I still think of mine, maybe not daily anymore but probably weekly. And its been 19 years now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Saw this 5th wheel trailer hauler in the middle of Buttfuck, Southern Alberta yesterday afternoon. I wish he had his trailer on it because I can only imagine it's going to match his truck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Puddin posted:

Boss came to work once to get the 3.5 ton truck for moving stuff and someone was parked across the main roller door. Thing was there's like 10 car parks not in front of the roller door all empty on a weekend.

He only just managed to get the fork out attached a snap strap to the tow bar and wrenched it out into the street at a ridiculous angle.

Taped a note to the whole front of the windscreen, " Don't park there oval office," using half a roll of tape in the middle of summer, in 72 point font, took the van and locked up.

Camera shows the owner coming back around 4 hours, spending about an hour getting the tape off the windscreen.
The old man used to be a locomotive engineer for CN for many years. Much of his time was in a subdivision which was very rural and in the foothills of the rockies. In the mid 80s there were reports of poaching and the crew were pretty sure they knew which vehicle it was because they saw an "unknown" truck parked near the side of the track right-of-way several times literally in the middle of nowhere. Well, they saw it again and evidence very close to it of poaching moose out of season.

He knew drat well the guy would be long gone before the fish cops got there, so he and his conductor take matters in their own hands and tied some massive logging chain they had to the axle of the truck and the knuckle of the locomotive and dragged the truck up the loving mountain about 2 miles... ripping the front end of it out in the process and bouncing it off several trees along the way, and it made most of the trip on its side.

Poaching gently caress never made a complaint even though it was blindingly obvious what happened not that the old man would have given any fucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, sexy as hell.

When my dad went back to the old country for a visit back in the mid 60s his bachelor uncle owned one and told him he could have it when he passed away, which happened a few years later.

Dad had a young wife and starting a family so he couldn't afford to get it shipped to Canada so it went with the rest of the estate.

What if.. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

NitroSpazzz posted:

Some crappy photos from the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. Dad and I spent a ton of time looking at the frame and taking pictures of various things on it. I'm not a huge Merc guy but their museum was amazing and a must see if you're in the area.

That's something I found different with museums in Canada/US vs Germany. If that was in North America those cars would be, at the very least, behind ropes. If not lovely people would be touching "trying to get a better look" and parents would see it as permission to let their kids run roughshod and touch/get into everything. Germany there was respect to not touch.

Between the Porsche and Mercedes museums, I think Stuttgart would be a great place to kill a few days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wrar posted:

The Porsche Museum was awesome. As long as you made it clear you were being careful via body language you could get super-close and take some neat pictures.

Google Earth has a view of the Museum. A little clunky, but short of being there it's pretty cool.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.8342085,9.1524921,3a,75y,336.54h,60.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se5nPiAXo2mlRAstYC2tH1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that interview was pretty ugly but to be fair to the guy Leno seemed a little out of his element too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome and they looked exactly as they should

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, uh, where can I buy that suit?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You bastard, now I am browsing costumes on Amazon :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As a biker, I like the idea of lane splitting but most drivers are so lovely it would scare the hell out of me doing it as a normal course of action.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e:^ didn't see the new page! :argh:
No way that's a daytona, it's all wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I found it. I'll spoiler my response in case you still want to challenge yourself, but would appreciate a hive mind c/d of my guess. I only came up with it because I was remembering all the really obscure European makes I could think of checking.

Bitter CD

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is a video about them from the guy that helped design it
https://youtu.be/l9dxf7utTjQ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rigged Death Trap posted:

just
goddamn
When the driver actually floors it

When he walks on it after he's at 180MPH I just went :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Professor of Cats posted:

This was great! I haven't seen that before, thanks for posting it.

E:

LOL - an amazing follow up after Nissan bought the friggin car...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YN_gTu0brk

That was pretty cool of Nissan to get on that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HandlingByJebus posted:

Screen. Blipshift shirts are high-quality, I own a bunch of them.

They’re available in fitted and loose, women’s fitted, and some other styles. I like the fitted ones because they’re thinner material, but sizing runs as-expected, at least for me.

2nded. Friend of mine at work has several and they seem to wear well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I forget who originally linked to the page to buy this, but my blipshift JDM wheels shirt showed up today.

I dig that. I spot at least 2, possibly 3 280ZX rims there. Top right a Z rim or a Toyota rim?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

Toyota Supra, MKII, and Celica GTS of similar years.
Top left is 280ZX, middle top is 84-5 RX-7 GSL-SE
middle left is Toyota 4Runner, etc.? Middle middle is 2nd gen Celica, I think, middle right is 81-84 12A RX-7
Bottom right is.. 200SX? Bottom Middle is definitely 200SX. Bottom right is ?
This is what I was thinking of for the bottom middle - maybe they used them on the SX too?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

davebo posted:

Every now and then I check by GM and Ford's press media pages just to see what high-res photos they have and I just came across this which is very seasonal.

If anyone wants more Ford GT photos they're at https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/multimedia/album/2017/2017-ford-gt.html
I suspect I'm in the minority, but I prefer the look of the last GT over this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Ranger/B-series were (and still are) all over the place.

Didn't the Probe and MX6 or something share a lot of commonality?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

haha :bravo: you beautiful bastard

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Countach just looks wrong without the big fuckoff wing.
I've always thought the same. It just oozes 80s.

The vantage just didn't look like it belonged in the group.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm the swinging testicles

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am the 1 guy that has never watched a roadkill.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

I was just musing the other day, whilst behind a new 4Runner in traffic, that I remember when the 4Runner was actually a *truck*. Now it's about as much a truck as the current Explorer is, which is to say it's a large tall station wagon that no one wants to admit is a station wagon. What I'm saying is that they're both king-sized CRVs/Rav4s.
It's a truck in the same sense a modern suburban is still a truck. If someone was teleported from the 70s or even 80s and rode in one they'd think it was some sort of uber luxury vehicle, but pretty much every truck is like that is now. Even a modestly equipped Silverado is pretty luxurious compared to how they used to be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

xzzy posted:

But trying to find video of it being driven from inside the car led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDCCXNg0Cc

Goddamn the 70s/80s were wild.

(Athon being driven at 14:15 mark, loving lol at the wheel assembly obscuring the dash when turning)

Holy poo poo that's amazing

Also:
:catstare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cakesmith handyman posted:

I know Bob, he's a fantastic human being.

First person I thought of when I saw that picture

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

From my junk folder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just imagine a 20 km beach. On that beach think of one grain of sand. That's the Tesla in Interplanentary space and the rest of the beach is one great big fuckoff vaccuum.

...How is that a problem?????

It's not, and I would have to guess think it's even by several orders of magnitude less of a problem than that. I had people at work yesterday bitching about it to. I actually got tired of trying to correct people that it is nowhere near LEO which IS a concern, potentially a serious one. They can't grasp how orbits work and vaguely remember hearing about the asteroid belt from grade school.

It's orbit is virtually taking it out to Ceres.