Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I still don't quite understand the DS's brake button (instead of a brake pedal). It seems as though you can't apply or release pressure progressively when using it.

Have any of you guys ever driven one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This guy was pretty slick, although those spoked wheels were enormous and running rubber band tires.

Also, this was the first IMIEV I'd ever seen.

NERD posted:

ASK ME ABOUT DRIVING
ALL ELECTRIC
EclecticElectric@rocketmail.com

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I saw a Gallardo Superleggera on my way back home this afternoon.

(click to embiggen)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Random :spergin: moment, but what county is that inspection from? I haven't seen an orange one, only blue and green.

Take a wild guess at which county in Texas would use burnt orange. :|

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Valt posted:

Well it couldn't possibly be travis!!!

El Paso, since they still have their special snowflake emissions testing out there.

Except that area nothing like El Paso. Or Bexar, for that matter.

In short, I have no loving clue. My last inspection was in Collin, which resulted in me getting a green sticker - but that was last year.

Valt got it. That's a Travis County inspection sticker, but I ran into the Superleggera in Lagrange, headed towards Bastrop. I'm sure the owner has a house out 2222, along with all the other rich folk.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Oh. Derp, burnt orange, UT. Can you tell who doesn't give 2 shits about sports? :downs:

You and me both. I came to Austin for gradschool and the cult status of UT and the football team still boggles my mind.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

That's definitely in the wrong thread but bad shops aside; the rest is gorgeous.

Uhh, that's a real car. The headlights remind me of the Alfa Montreal.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2256.html

Also, I got a free ticket to the Friday festivities for the USGP. I saw both sessions of the F1 practice and caught some glimpses of the Historic GP. I had no idea that the Tyrrell P34 was still being driven, much less raced.

Here's a so-so camera phone video of turn 19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z811LESMPaw

And a few pictures:
<Click to embiggen>

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 19, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

front wing flexing posted:

Is it an RX-7 with a body kit?

Just a guess, but those look like headlights off of a 911.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

Found this at Cars and Coffee in Austin. I'd never seen one in person. It had a for sale sticker on it: $73K and it was yours.

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven. Of course, you are also completely invisible to other cars, only have tiny motorcycle mirrors, and no suspension travel. It was a lot of fun, but a complete and utter ripoff-- and definitely not usable on public roads.

That being said, I want it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Is it just me or does Honda have a knack for making I4 engines really really tall?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
This is absolutely AI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w

Also, A few more photos from around town, V8 Supercars, etc.

Saw this guy in a local gas station in Texas. It was one of the smallest cars I've seen. There was also a Haynes manual in the back for 1959-1975 minis and a plastic bin full of spare parts.

The first lap of the Sunday afternoon V8 Supercar race from a few weeks ago.

One of my favorite "paint" jobs in the Pirelli GT3 cup

And the pace car in the GT3 cup was a CTS-V Coupe.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not sure if this is AI, or just shear luck with the Texas license plate system.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Those tires wouldn't be able to handle that much power.

Also its a Dodge Durango? so there's that too.

Is the Nitro a new name for the Durango?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I have a serious case of the dumb. I assume this is some flavor of Ferrari, but which one?

I believe it's an Alpine Renault a610.
Edit: that's what it looked like on my phone, but the headlights tell me it's more likely a Ferrari Daytona.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I did a thing today:

I drove some CTS-Vs (wagon and coupe) around Circuit of the Americas for free. Those cars are drat heavy, and the auto transmission sucks, but it was still a ton of fun. I hope CoTA gets cool and let's companies hold track days there for a reasonable price (See: motorcycle track days for $150, and not $2500) some day soon.

Edit: One of the CTS-Vs from the SCCA World Challenge was on display, along with cutaways of various parts from the V.

Click to embiggen

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 12, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

I was there Thursday. Had a blast. My instructor in the coupe was a female GT3 series driver. I was babying it a bit getting used to the car's feel on the first lap. Her words: "You don't have to pay for brakes or tires. Go harder!" So I did. I was hitting rumble strips and having the time of my life. Best I could get was about 140MPH on the back straight. She let me stay on power past the 'power off' cones. I've been to the track several times but this was my first driving it. Barreling down the front straight at triple digit speeds it's intimidating how that turn one hill just towers over you.
My sister had a blast in the ATS doing their little 'drag race'. She didn't notice me reach over and turn off the traction control for the launch. We killed the other 'competitor'. :)

Man. Neither of my instructors let me stay on the power past those cones, but both complemented me while I was driving... I think I hit about 120. My instructor in the coupe races in Pro Mazda, and knew the track well. So all in all, it was a great time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

That's the only place where I felt playing the track in a video game really helped.

What game has CoTA? I was looking for one on Wednesday to practice. :3:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Fucknag posted:

That thing is huge, anyone got an ID?

Is that an ATV? :stare:

I believe that's a jet ski.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

You Am I posted:

The idea of a TVR with that much power and knowing that TVR at that time hated electronic aids like traction control and ABS as well as airbags, sends a shiver down my spine. Knowing your luck you'd be hitting top speed as you realise that Trevor forgot to tighten up that left front suspension arm properly in the factory.

I like this bit:

Wikipedia posted:

In an interview then-owner Peter Wheeler, said that TVR had tried to record the car's power on an engine dyno. The dyno was rated at 1,000 bhp (750 kW) but the test resulted in its input shaft being broken. To get an approximate figure TVR engineers tested each bank individually; the result was 480 bhp (360 kW) per bank, suggesting a total rating of 960 bhp (720 kW). Wheeler, no newcomer to high performance cars and an experienced racer in the TVR Tuscan Challenge, drove one of the finished prototypes home and concluded that the car was unusable on the road, in his opinion simply too powerful.

The deposits were returned when the production plans were cancelled...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

You Am I posted:

The crash in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JoLBtFUlaY

View from the car behind (where the GIF is from):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogmewN_otk0

Gosh. V8 Supercars was some of the best wheel to wheel racing I've seen. And after that, the 2013 Ferrari Cup at CoTA. It's a real shame V8 Supercars isn't coming back to the US next year.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The intake on the turbo looks like its going to grenade itself on that harness.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

meatcookie posted:

Dunno what this is (NSX mod?) but I want it in my life in matte charcoal grey.

It looks like an AZ-1 to me. The sexiest kei car in the world.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I like nearly every angle of the FT-1 concept except for the Panoz/F1-inspired front end.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

T1g4h posted:

I have no idea where I originally got this, just that it came from AI. I have the most random poo poo on my harddrive and no idea where most of it even originated :v:

Hell, come to think of it, AI is where my custom title came from.

I don't know the original source, but the first place I saw that was on Jalopnik. So it was probably stolen from somewhere else.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I saw this guy earlier today. I think I've seen 2-3 Focus RS's in Texas in the past few years, all with Mexican plates.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I want to drive that all the way to Iceland.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

I just became a fan of V8 Supercars.

E: honestly the most clear drive-through of a track I've ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTHw1Ygr_Y

EE: I miss the tires and shocks that were used in the 60s and 70s. So much character!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-nJwz3RS0

I've been to CoTA a few times now. For MotoGP and F1, the most exciting racing was in Moto3 and the Ferrari 458 cup races. But when I went to see V8 Supercars, that was definitely some of the most exciting wheel to wheel racing I've seen. It's a shame it's not coming back this season.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

I...um......

That's the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust mk2.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Fattig posted:

This is probably some myth I'm about to repeat but doesn't the glass filter (or reflect) away most of the rays (whichever one of the three radiation types it is) that causes the skin to darken?

Fake edit:
It's the UV rays and I might have been correct, partly.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12925188

Actual edit 2nd Edition:
Apparently light, including UV, is the same type (electromagnetic radiation) as gamma and x-ray radiation, just less energetic.
I have learned something today.

From my time studying solid state and optoelectronics, and without clicking that link on my phone, the transmission spectrum of regular old glass should be pretty low for UV.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Stealth Like posted:

It is. The transmission of light below ~320 nm is essentially zero, depending on the type of course. So some UVA light will get through, but UVB and UVC will not. It's the reason that you don't get a sunburn during long drives if the windows are up. Otherwise you'd get them any time you take a long trip.

And this, children, is why we don't make our photolithography masks out of glass.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Edit: I was overgeneralizing-- but for next generation chips (22nm, 14nm, 10nm-- whatever TSMC is doing) I don't think you can use quartz/SiO2 masks. It's been a few years since grad school and my solid-state/fab courses, of course.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 18, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I love the custom hood with the angry eye effect on that black 300C. Not really crazy about the green rings, but man, it looks pretty sinister otherwise.

That panel gap, though. :(

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
There's a local car meet every Saturday in the town I grew up in. It seems like the attendees are becoming more monied, recently. (Not necessarily classier. The owner of the Superleggera looked like Guy Fieri)

Click to embiggen

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I've seen two of these in the last week. Someone's driving one fairly regularly in Austin.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

tobu posted:

That said, I've put 120k on it getting about 300km to a tank which costs about $70 AUD... so roughly $28,000 dollars in fuel since I got it in 2007.... Oh god, its a horrible daily driver.

Mind sharing what that is in miles per gallon or liters/100 km for those of us that don't know how big your gas tank is?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I took a trip out to LA last weekend, and decided to go check out The Snake in my rental car.

I figured all I would see are stuntas, and I wasn't disappointed.

Then I asked someone nearby if any /real/ exotics had been by. Not 5 minutes later, this rolled up.

(Click to embiggen)

By far, one of the most beautiful, awesome cars I've seen in person. And Jay was very friendly, so that was cool too.

He did let some chick sit in the driver seat who was wearing a pink Joe Rocket motorcycle jacket, and jeans with studs on the back pockets. I think he regretted doing that.

I also have photos from the Science Center if anyone wants to see crappy cell phone pics of the space shuttle Endeavour or it's liquid fuel engines. (I'm still bitter Houston didn't get a shuttle.)

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm using this as wallpaper if that's cool.

Be my guest :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Can you elaborate (serious question)? I thought the "terrain" up there were ice formations that suck rear end to traverse, including giant ice chunk fields.

I think he's being sarcastic, but then goons are terrible car poo poo so who knows.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

How the hell do you see the tree if you're in the left lane of the drag strip? That scoop is loving enormous.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Powershift posted:

I saw a how it's made episode on a steam engine to use in cars and boats and stuff but it was still piston based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NPpelLCIkk

Has "How It's Made" cheaped out? Why does the narration sound like it was done with some text to voice software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Buttons are for scrubs, you need touch sensitive controls:

(No, they pretty much never worked)

Whenever I see that style of steering wheel, I think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA