Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So, this trailer showed up today...

Something awesome was inside.

It's a Agera R!

Dive planes on the front for additional downforce. They're also the same awesome blue carbon fiber the stripes on the hood are. Depending on which way you look at them, they're blue or black. Once saw a whole Veyron in this color. It's a lot cooler in small doses.

The trunk / boot upfront is VERY small. Then again, it's big enough to fit the roof or a couple of bags of press material. So if you're looking for a family car. This is not the car for you.

With crazy doors you can open next to a curb! They're high enough a normal curb won't bother you. Actual millage may vary. The doors are VERY cool. They actually have a damper in them that means they can't "slam" open. You can throw them with all your strength or loose them in a gust of wind but they won't open that hard.

Inside is hard to see. It's mostly Alcantara with a splash of leather. Very luxurious. The back wall is white leather, amazing. You can also see the "blue" side of the carbon fiber from this angle. You can also see the door release button and they key slot. The key is a proximity fob, but just in case the battery is dead, there is a hole. Was not allowed to sit inside. The car isn't mine after all.

Twin tubo V8 putting out a piddly 1170 hp. If you look to the left of the gear box, the silver you see is the floor of the car. There is NOTHING back here but engine and frame. The weird crooked bar seemingly asymmetrically placed on top of the gear box / suspension housing is actually the antiroll bar equivalent.

Holy poo poo! It's Christian von Koenigsegg. Awesome guy, really into his car and it shows. He spent a lot of time just showing us everything about the car and answering all our silly questions about it. He had a dream and went for it. I really admire that and I'd love to buy a car off him but I'm not that rich.

The cap on the left is washer fluid. It has the Koenigsegg shield on it, but the picture washed it out. The brake cooling duct is kevlar. You can also see that the harnesses for the car apparently come with it. I was also told the wheel bearings are off a helicopter as they could not find a normal car bearing that was stiff enough.

Left parked next to a Prius. Somehow fitting. You can also see the blue stripes from this angle.

Today was a awesome day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

einTier posted:

A little something my buddy saw rolling around in Las Vegas today.

Yep, it's a 918. If you see a guy wearing a Porsche shirt around it. Odds are his name is Daniel. Really nice guy.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

The engine bay of the LP-670 is signed by Valentino Balboni.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

I know this was early in the thread but holy gently caress koenigseggs are nice.

I'm glad someone noticed the humble Agera. The major take away from that was really how much Christian loved his cars.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Saw this parked down at the local upscale shopping center.

Audi R8 GT Cabriolet

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Boat posted:

This video of an actual cutaway F1 + driver illustrates it pretty drat well. That looks uncomfortable as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wn1EFLa2C8

It certainly seems like it.

"Because foam is very heavy..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpk0d9qrJYw

Lucas di Grassi had a camera mounted over one of his eyes, the position is really low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rrME9eQHA

Also, watching them actually sink into the seat under braking doesn't make it seem any better.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Visually handicapped spot?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

drat, I need to reevaluate the contribution to my 401k plan.

Epic lunch run.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

toaster_pastry posted:

spotted this on Skyline today. I love all the untouched bay-area bugs.

OT: Have they fixed the road up there yet? Last I heard it was ripped up and covered in gravel. (Between 9 and Alice's)
Edit: Yeah, still messed up.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 2, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Went to go karting today and found the Porsche Club of America was having a party.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Wombot posted:

Lotta Leafs:

All in Leaf blue.

A red Leaf drove past me the other day. My friend in the passenger seat turned to me and said "I thought they only came in blue?".

Also, I want that S4 Avant to have my babies.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

GT2 RS: Awesome
Owner who doesn't use it: Lame

The GT2RS is not the worlds most practical car but it does actually have more storage space than your average Ferrari. I'd just be worried about ripping the splitter off leaving parking lots.

Supercars need to be used.

Edit: drat it. I need a Spa day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaF7nLiBLgo

Aurune fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 16, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Carteret posted:

Technical suspension black magic :allears:

Christian really loves his cars. Some more close ups of the rear suspension layout.

http://i.imgur.com/Of6vb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FSpZO.jpg

Edit: VV If you ever get the honor of meeting him in person. He'll talk you ear off about any detail you like. Awesome guy. VV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 16, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

I think the styling of Koenigseggs is just really off. I appreciate what's behind it, but it looks too much like some unlicensed Ridge Racer car for me. :smith:

Pictures really don't do the Agera R justice. It looks amazing in person. There are all sorts of subtle details you just can't see in pictures. The real deal breaker for me is complete lack of a trunk. It has a storage space for the roof and that's it. I don't expect Ford Windstar size storage, but if I want to take a duffle bag with me on the weekend, I expect that to be possible.

That being said, since Koenigsegg does their own engine mods. Which means, I want a CNG version so I can take it in the California HOV lane and frighten Volts.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There's one in my region but it's in bad disrepair. Some local rich guy bought up a ton of land north of of city and had a small track paved on it. He was already old by the time I moved here and most of the badly poured concrete is cracked and overgrown so there's no hope of saving it. We did hit it in the Jeep once and got chased off the property by State Troopers though.

George Barber owned a dairy company in Alabama. When he sold out to the national companies he made a killing. He decided he wanted to build a museum so he could share his motorcycle and car collection with the public. Shortly after hitting on the idea he decided he really wanted a small test track out back so he could play with his collection.

Well, the environmental lobby caught wind of the track and sued based on the claim of some endangered insects on the property. Well, pile of legal fees later he decided screw it, go big or go home and enlarged the track. He won, they built the track, he decided he didn't like the layout. He ripped up the track, had them lay down a new one. Bingo, or so they thought, turns out the contractors used the wrong asphalt and track was actually moving in the corners. So, they ripped it up, and paved it again.

After all this, the facility is just amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Motorsports_Park

He's still mad at the environmentalists, at the gate to the facility is a sign meant to inform anyone with a environmental donation license plate they're not welcome. He's also festooned the grounds with various bug sculptures. The spiders being the most obvious.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

rscott posted:

Didn't Porche put a 3.0L I4 in the 944? How did they keep that thing from shaking itself apart?

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons. The first one to win was piloted in part by Emanuele Pirro former Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans driver.

If this onboard video of him, casually lapping Road America, periodically checking his watch isn't AI as poo poo. I don't know what is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7LKgyFweg

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

"In case of accident, the driver will be thrown safely clear of the vehicle"

Crazy thing was, it worked.

Well not all the time :(
Jim Clark was thrown free of the this wreck. Sadly, right in to the trees the surrounding trees. Note the barb wire fence that divides the track from the woods.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Best Van ever.
http://www.race-taxi.ch

VW bus with a 993 turbo motor and running gear

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 13, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

OrganizedEntropy posted:

The drat car wasn't even a V8 camaro. :colbert:

The car isn't even a stick or a 09.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

The commenters on YouTube are bitching about his driving. Crap track driver or not, it's a very very very expensive car, which is notoriously hard to drive and he's got it out on one of the hardest circuits in the world. Guy deserves props for not leaving it in the garage.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

GramCracker posted:

So I met one of my Hero's today....

Literally 1 of 2 cars that I need/want in life, the other being an F40 (or a 250 GTO).

I saw the hood/bumper in my rear view while I was on an exit ramp and could not believe what was actually coming up behind me.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd see one in the flesh, let alone driving in real life on a road. He described driving it as, "Like a truck, except when it gets past 4k it's like the Millennium Falcon."

Best. Description. Ever.

Finding rare cars is a function of where you live sadly. I happen to know of a couple of F40s and a 250 TR (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8iwOzSRiY0) in the SF bay area. The easiest way to do it is often to go to a historic / vintage car race event. Here in CA we have Monterey Historics. If I can make out the plate, you're in Connecticut, have you tried going by the Limerock Historic festival?

I have it on good authority that the 250 is back in working order and it's not a big deal as there were essentially no original parts on the car to begin with.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

I call this post "The fine German tradition of shoving washing machines in the backs of super beetles".

Porsche 356
This happens to be a late model 1500 cc model.

Porsche 901 / First Gen 911
Two liter flat six.

Last of the First Gen 911 (1973)

First 911 Turbo (1976)

G Model 911

964 911

993 911

996 911
First water cooled model. Also notable for the first model with a massively useless engine access hatch.

997 911
Evolution, not revolution. Now the air box cover is smooth!

991 911
Since 991 comes after 997, they figured that a engine bay should be even more inaccessible. To change the air filter you need to remove the rear bumper.

Obviously not a full history...

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just saw this at the bar. Sorry for the lovely camera phone.

Sweet.

Out and about in SoCal

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't sure if this is really the right thread, but it's just framed so perfectly...

Got luckier than https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geP0QoecKyg

Sears Point / Infineon / Raceway At Sonoma / Whatever the gently caress they're calling it this week used, to have a special deer flag. I've been informed at Thunder Hill it's just "Surface Condition" flag.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

This bit of sheer awesome happened this week. Props to the owner for being a awesome person.

Little bits of bonus awesome scattered thru the background.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Where was this? That car is now up here at the VCHC.

Palo Alto, CA. If you see a blonde lady driving it. She's the owner. She's awesome (as anyone who actually drives the crap out of their hypercars is) and a very nice person.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is. If you bump into her, I don't think she will be a rear end in a top hat to you if you ask questions.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 15, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

My friends and I can't tell if this is real or not because these things are so rare. Wish I got more photos of it but it was creepy enough to do so....

It has the wrong seats. That being said, real 993 GT2s are stupid rare. Only 57 were made. I've seen a lot of clones knocking around. Clone or not, that is a amazing looking car. I'd drive the crap out of it.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

They really are just the most beautiful cars ever made.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Tim O'Neil blasting up the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in an Electric car.

I'd be really interested to drive that car as the gas version of it has a horrible weight distribution. I wonder if the electric version is any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Hung out at the Pre-reunion this weekend. Here's the highlights.

Oh yeah.

Ferrari 512? Whatever it was it sounded amazing. Edit: Note he most certainly failed the broomstick test. Seems nobody gave a poo poo last weekend.

E-Type parked in a bad neighborhood.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 11, 2014