Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this at all. If anything a Corvette should be the ultimate self-depreciating car guy car? It goes fast and handles well for not a lot of money and is just middle American values on wheels.

They start at like what $45k? That's BMW-3-series-with-leather money, what is there to be an insufferable prick *about*? Are these people just sill thinking in 1983 dollars?

'Vettes have steadily creeped up in price. Currently, they start at around $50k MSRP, but to get one with reasonable options, you are looking at mid or upper $50s. (Granted you can often get large discounts on them.) I don't know about you, but to most people that's still a lot of money for a car. It's not HUGE money, but my house is worth less than three times that amount.

"Not a lot of money" in my book is under $35k, and even Mustang GTs and Camaro SS's start around that level. Most Corvette owners "move up" from those types of cars, so from there is a substantial increase in cost and "prestige".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

The Vette is great because ..

The loving thing is cheap, and fast as all get out.

In my book the 'Vette is not nearly cheap enough. I don't know if we have firm pricing on the new model, but I suspect it has a base MSRP at least in the upper $50s. Unit sales of the Corvette have plummeted because it's just way overpriced for today's economy. I keep hoping GM will deliver a low-frills "bubba" Corvette priced in the $40s, which has been long-rumored since the C5 days, but it has never materialized.

Then again anything with a V8 is overpriced... Camaro SS and Mustang GTs with reasonable options are near 40k. It wasn't all that long ago (20-25 years) when you could get a Mustang LX 5.0 for $13,000 and pretty much dominate the street.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

Isn't this where JFK was shot? I sorta remember it from JFK: Reloaded (yeah....).

Yup, that's also how I recognized it too.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

And I'd just like to say that I've tried, repeatedly, to understand how an automatic transmission actually functions and it just escapes me. I see pictures and diagrams and just end up going "yup, that sure is a mechanical thingy, I tell you what". I've got a handle on torque converters but the transmissions are powered by hopes, dreams, and the use of strange eldritch mechanicals to confuse the universe into changing the ratio of input and output speeds as far as I can figure out.

Many years ago, I remember leafing through a fairly comprehensive book on do-it-yourself car repair and diagnosis. There was a brief "chapter" on automatic transmissions, that said something like this: "Most parts and systems on an automobile are easily understandable and serviceable by the layperson with appropriate tools and instructions. However, an automatic transmission is not one of these parts or systems." End of chapter.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I know they do this with oil pressure gauges a lot, to avoid people going :supaburn: about it, but I don't think I've encountered it with temperature gauges before. Which cars have you found are like this?

Late model Ford Mustangs for sure (I have a 2011 and the temp needle never moves from a certain fixed point just below the middle). My 2004 GTO also had a similarly neutered temp gauge that would read "normal" over a huge temperature range. The last car I owned that seemed to have "real" oil press & temp gauges was a 1995 Camaro Z28.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

While I cannot guarantee that I would have kept my head throughout an ordeal like that, it is why I carry one of these in my car:

Your accelerator pedal and brake pedal seem almost comically huge compared to most modern cars. Or is that an optical illusion?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

SlapActionJackson posted:

And this is exactly why manufacturers have turned these gauges into glorified idiot lights.

We shouldn't all be deprived of accurate information just because some people are idiots. Put a disclaimer in the owner's manual that explains that it's normal for the oil pressure and temperature readings to fluctuate under different conditions. And anybody who comes in to the dealer and complains about it (without a real underlying problem) gets a $75 diagnostic fee, non-warranty, for being a dolt.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

NOW YOU TOO CAN SUFFER AS WE HAVE. :getin:

Seriously though, why would anyone want to import the shittiest car GM has cranked out in a while. I mean, it looks kinda cool, but it sucks to drive, seems to break down a lot, and has a horrible interior even by GM standards.

It's not a GM car. :eng101:

Edit: so beaten. I thought that post was the end of the thread but there was a page of replies after that! :downs:

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I saw that movie on early-'80s HBO when I was a kid. The movie poster lied; they didn't use a Phantom, they used some Korean-war era jet.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCmH1HdG6g

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

freelop posted:

If they reduce the rate of oil use it means they can run internal combustion for longer.
Eventually there will only be enough left for 1 racing car and a fighter jet to chase it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCmH1HdG6g

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I Stole it from Imgur...

That car has one of the biggest spoilers I've ever seen!

Also a Freemason's badge. :tinfoil:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

I'll just leave this here

I think it looks good from the front bumper back to about the base of the windshield.

The rest, :barf:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

That is some amazing anatomy in that artwork. I didn't know a living human could look like that.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

R
People are horrible, terrible pieces of poo poo who don't think twice about doing $500 damage towards somebody else's pristine new car.

And if you are lucky enough to catch them and call them out on it, they will more likely than not roll their eyes and give you the "it's ONLY a CAR!" excuse. That's the point where I black out and am no longer responsible for my actions.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

blk posted:

GODDAMIT HIPSTERS KEEP YOUR EFFETE HANDS OFF MY ALLANTE

Kelly Bundy bouncing for The Neewwww Alllante!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmHCDT6hQ90

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Keychat, and also extremely terrible car stuff:

The 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO key.

The upside to that key is that when I was carrying that around, I felt like in a pinch, it could be used as a rudimentary weapon. I figure if you punched someone in the eye with that, it would probably penetrate into the frontal lobe.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

NoWake posted:

Looks like the Buick had been parked on the street, and the Mazda that hit it was going really fast.

Nitpick, but that's an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. Same platform as the Buick Century but different badges and trim.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Bogatyr posted:

Edit addendum... Am I the crazy one? You spend a non trivial amount of money to put new wheels and tires on for largely aesthetic purposes while accentuating tiny brakes. Am I/are we outliers since we know what we are looking at and others don't see the flaw?

Yes, I think you are an outlier. Frankly, at least 75% of the general public would not even know or ponder what the funny round disc behind the wheel does at all. And of the 25% who knows it might have something to do with brakes, they wouldn't realize or notice that the brake disc being small relative to the wheel means anything negative or problematic. Frankly, most of these cars are driven in day to day situations where the small stock brakes are functionally adequate, and probably far superior to what passed for brakes even as recently as 20 years ago. Appearance/image/style >>> actual performance or function in almost every application where humans are allowed to make a decision.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

I don't have anything to say about this car that hasn't already been said, but if that location isn't the Chinatown shopping center on N. Lamar in Austin I'll eat my hat. That general area is a goldmine for terrible car stuff.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Buick Skyhawk (is there any other kind of hawk?)
Pontiac Parisienne
Plymouth Volare
Pontiac 6000

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I think it's actually good looking.

The fact that it's no longer a RWD with an available V8 also means that I'm no longer interested in it. Good job GM, you chucklefucks.

Yeah, this. Looks good but otherwise is everything I don't want. Why the gently caress is everything going AWD when it just adds weight and complexity and dulls the driving experience (i.e. can't do donuts or burnouts easily).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is it like Delaware, where license numbers can be transferred and passed down through generations? Having a low number, old-style DE plate is a huge dickwaving contest.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/money/2016/02/15/delaware-license-plate-no-14-sells-325000/80407162/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The automatic wash I go to also has a tendency to leave some dirt on the back of the car. Not that bad, though.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
130 or so HP from a 2.8L V6 seems positively good when you think about the many '80s Cadillacs afflicted with the "HT 4100" 4.1L V8 that had 130-135 hp in most applications. My dad bought an '87 DeVille that was just a heap.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

It looked just like this one, with the paint going from orange to red in the light:

When I was shopping for my first new car, I looked at a white '91 Beretta GT; it had the 3.1 V6. I was pretty serious and actually leaning towards buying it, except the dealer wouldn't let me test drive it. I'm not talking an IROC-Z or Corvette; they wouldn't let me test drive a $13,000 Beretta with 140 HP. I was 20 with a clean driving record. Lost a (potential) sale. Or maybe there was something horribly wrong with it that they were trying to hide.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I still want a late-80s IROC, with the right modern updates (LS3 and modern transmission etc.)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I'll take "cars you can hear rusting" for a hundred, please.

As a kid I can remember by like 1980, my neighborhood's driveways were littered with not-very-old X1/9s and 914s and MGs which had already become undriveable "project" cars. Still cool tho--can you fit an LS1 in an X1/9?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

If they dumped the chrome window trim pieces, and did...something better with the door handles, this would look shockingly decent. I still wouldn't drive it because I hate giant road barges, but I could appreciate it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I had a '91 base model T-bird with the optional 5.0L V8, which was like a standalone $1000 option. On the one hand it was a roomy car with a comfy ride and a V8, for a very reasonable price. But as my first new car it was still a big disappointment--the interior fit/finish/materials were lousy and it was loaded with rattles and squeaks, and the non-ABS disc/drum brakes were marginal. Plus 2.73 gears made it a dog off the line. Also the air conditioning never worked right and the transmission started to act lovely at like 16k miles but dealer wouldn't/couldnt fix it. I replaced it with a '95 Camaro Z28, which had some issues of its own, but overall was still a much better car.

As I recall, the MN12 proejct was widely considered to be a miserable failure, at least within Ford management at the time.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 3, 2018

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Driver of that small white car gonna need new pants. Maybe a new seat.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

e: "retread"

From Dr. Scholl's new line of automotive accessories.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Why do you care that the headlights are on? It will make the car more visible and therefore should decreased the chance of someone else not seeing it and driving into it, am dits not like having headlights on makes the car slower or less efficient.

Every automatic feature (but especially lights) should have a manual override to turn it off. Someday, that light sensor or some other part of the electrical system may fail in such a way that the only way to make the lights go off is a physical switch. And you never know when you might have the President in your car and it's night and you are being chased by Russian mobsters down some dark country highway and you try to pull off the road and park in a barn to hide but they see your non-defeatable headlights shining through the rickety wooden slats and capture the President and force America to surrender all because you didn't have a manual light switch.

Also, running your headlights does cause the alternator to work harder, reducing fuel economy and performance by an amount that's probably too small to measure. And running headlights all the time makes them burn out faster.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 26, 2018

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

how about maybe shut the gently caress up, the UK and US both suck rear end

apparently customer added 27 liters of coolant to the crank case, a new record.

Gotta make sure it won't overheat!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is that front bumper actual metal or is it just plastic with a shiny chrome film on it

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

That Works posted:

I already know, I already know this thing is going to be a bitch to work on and I will hate myself again for dealing with an early 90s 3800 but why, why do I feel this immense urge to buy it?

I don't know if it's possible with that suspension, but I think that car would look really interesting if you lowered it an inch or two and replaced those fat balloon tires with some modern low-profile rubber.
Edit: kinda like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/b8/00/94b800811be17513ebb0b7386b17cab9.jpg

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 22, 2019

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

For most of us old fucks the 307 will reign supreme as the ultimate disaster. Well behind, the Olds 350 diesel, or the Vega where the intake would fall off, or the V8-6-4, eh nevermind.

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4.1L V8 with TBI? I think in '87 it was 130 HP when the Buick 3.8L V6 was 150 HP.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Luxrage posted:

and a photo of me and my Grandfather's 94 Thunderbird which he said was the best car Ford had ever built.

I had a '91 T-bird (my first new car) and it was definitely terrible car stuff. I mean, it would have been a fine car, if it didn't have immediate and constant problems with the paint, air conditioning, transmission, and about 50 rattles and squeaks in the poorly fitting plastic dash and door panels.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Hope they got the loss/damage waiver

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

So does anyone actually like any Gm products

I liked the 4th gen F-bodies (owned an LT1 and LS1 Z28), and the Holden-bred Pontiac GTO (had one). Also liked the Corvette and V-series Cadillacs but those are/were too rich for my blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

Child poking around the garage and stuffing a toy into the funny looking hose while your back is turned? Would explain the lego too.

When I was little (about 4) I came across the family's '68 Buick with the hood up and the air cleaner opened. Dad must have been changing the air filter or something and walked away. It's a fuzzy memory but I remember hosing it all down real good, maybe even putting the hose up into the carb. I wasn't beaten to a pulp so I guess my dad never noticed, and/or it didn't hurt anything.