Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I assume the only thing "terrible" about this was the price tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
This isn't really "terrible" but it's a cellphone pic and not awesome so I'm putting it here. I just don't remember ever seeing an MR2 with no spoiler. I guess I always thought they just came with them and it wasn't even an option, or was that the case and this guy removed it? Either way I think they look pretty bad with no spoiler. It's like a vampyr with no fangs.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I passed one of these in black on the highway today and it struck me as one of the worst stock spoilers in recent history. It's worse if you see it straight from behind though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

So could you just not open the back door unless the front door was already open? Surely that's a safety hazard in addition to being really inconvenient?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PXJ800 posted:

Wrong thread?

Not as long as you're just referring to the spoiler on top. Everything else seems right as rain.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Waaaaaait a second...

That's not a Fusion!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was just wondering what the Optima would look like if I lowered it so much it became undriveable and tried to give it a batman theme, and thankfully DC Comics have teamed up with Kia to make that dream come true.

I'm surprised they didn't use the SXL model with the LED running lights over the fog lights. There could have been even more yellow light!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Godholio posted:

I see cars with hitches all the time in the States. :shrug:

I sure don't in the D.C. area, but I'm curious about Australia. When I do see cars with hitches they're often aftermarket ones installed below the rear bumper, but I notice that Falcon has it tastefully done below the bumper but above the rear body kit. If they're so common there, do pretty much all dealers just have them as factory options or is it usually after market hitches?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CharlesM posted:

It's that alien from Star Trek.

I thought it was the cookie from Seinfeld.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Viggen posted:

Couldn't get a picture of it in time, but it was an old Jetta that someone appeared to use a putty knife to scrape their hood down to the metal. It is really difficult to describe just how bad it looked.

Is that how you prep VW's for that rust look? I want to see what they look like after the paint is gone but before that ridiculous patina stage.

Also, do you suppose that X6 is just a vinyl wrap? I just can't believe something that recent and expensive would be rattle canned in those colors, and we keep seeing more wraps lately.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was it really a terrible car? It was definitely built to a very small and specific market, and I only know one person who had one (not sure if she still does). Her husband builds himself all kinds of fun hot rods (ZZ4-powered T-bucket, Hemi-powered Model A roadster, etc) and I presumed that while she liked the vintage appearance, she wanted something that drove like a modern vehicle. Enter T-Bird.

See that's what I always figured about the new t-bird, that it was just designed for the older people who wanted that retro look and could afford to pay more for something that wasn't very impressive for the cost, but then they went and featured it in that Jet Li/DMX movie and then I didn't know what to think. I have no idea if Ford paid to get that thing in the movie or if the director just really felt Jet Li's character would look coolest in a new thunderbird.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

I love watching cars with those wheels go down the road. If ever get the chance, drive behind one for a while.

Why is that? Do they wobble a lot because of the design, or just look really odd due to the motion?

Shame about the Monte Carlo though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Dizman posted:

(sorry bitch, the only reason you bought a Corvette and not a Ferrari, is because you couldn't afford a Ferrari)

To be fair, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari even if I had the money. I don't really like luxuries in cars and I prefer having a Corvette because it's not worth a lot so you don't mind driving it like you hate it. I also got mine back when I was 25 but it didn't take much internet searching to realize I don't need to be going to the local Corvette meets with a bunch of 60 year old dudes.

Terrible Robot posted:

Now that I think about it, he has said before that other Corvette owners piss him off to no end because most are loving insufferably smug pricks that wipe their cars with diapers.

I've heard that a few times but I honestly don't know if it's hyperbole or not. Are (unused) diapers actually a good thing to rub a car with? If so, is that what you use to... dry it? or wax it?

davebo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 10, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Moxie Omen posted:

Seriously? Holy hell that's rear end-backwards.

No kidding man. Us C5 guys get to rag on any recent C6 owners for buying cars that are just gonna depreciate a ton once the C7 comes out.  :cool:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Does National Geographic cater to a more international audience or perhaps just sticklers for using a measurement system that most of the world uses, regardless of where the setting for the episode is? I can't say I watch the show regularly so I have no idea if that's the case.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
From an aerial shot those are all just "silver" though. A couple years ago when I went over the top of Kingda-Ka or whatever that 450 ft tall roller coaster in New Jersey is, and for two seconds you get to look out on the sea of cars parked in the lot, I decided I wouldn't do another silver/black car which is how I ended up with blue. If only to brighten some roller coaster enthusiast's day.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
For the people asking if there should be a C7 thread, feel free to discuss it with us in the new car thread, since it's a new car and we don't all think it's terrible :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Farmland Park posted:

Living in China, and seeing how people drive here, I'm actually really surprised I'm not seeing multi-car pile ups everywhere. Not only that, I do see surprisingly few fender benders and cars with minor bodywork damage. What I do see often however are stickers on cars, lots and lots of stickers. Hello Kitty, Transformers movies and European race tracks seem to be the most popular :psyduck:, I have to start taking pictures of all the terrible car stuff I see in the streets.

Please do. Everything I know about cars in China I learned from JuanChai's thread, so I had just assumed they all drove Lamborghinis.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Octopus Magic posted:

Hong Kong is not the mainland :china:

Feh, it will be in 2047. I'm just forward-thinking.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Previa_fun posted:

I actually sort of like this except for the fact the spokes go in two different directions on the same side. :wtc: Did they do that on the C4? (Google says no they did not.) I guess you could get that by rotating your tires in an X pattern.

But don't Corvettes have larger wheels in the rear than in front, or did the C4 not do that?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Reminds me of a lower trim Civic I saw years ago with the Si wheels and spoiler that had the tag WANABSI. It's cute.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How can I be sure that his vehicle is, in fact, the illest? What about the fine automobile next to it? Perhaps his is iller than the self proclaimed illest. Does he have the stickers discussing levels of ill as well?

Yeah, but his just say "illish"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, but being a dick about it is a terrible thing. The red light creeper thing was relevant, getting all high and mighty because you drive a car with a "real" transmission wasn't.

Yeah I wasn't gonna mention it there since enough people in that thread called him out, but he did come across pretty full of himself. Especially for a supposed VAG fan who are doing such great things with DSG, acting like manuals is the only way a true driver can experience the road comes off pretty elitist for an activity that should be more about having fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

That Camaro a year or so ago at least had the decency of looking like a life sized Hot Wheels, but this just made an already undesirable car worse.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To be fair, maybe the Micra owner parked after some other cars arrived, and the other cars left before you arrived, thus making the Micra owner look like a douche.

Behind the Micra looks barely enough space for another Micra to sit there, let alone parallel park into it. Seems like that space was probably designed for just two cars to begin with, unless there was a motorcycle/scooter in it before.

I had a terrible car question and in retrospect I'm sorry I didn't get a crappy dark cell phone photo, but last night when I got back to the Rockville, MD metro stop a red Nissan Silvia with the Vanity plate SILVIA was parked next to me, but it was left hand drive and dropped to the point of being essentially useless with all the speed bumps and construction around here. My question is were those ever sold with left hand drive because I thought they were just Japan and Australia, or can you import it and convert it from right hand drive, or could it in fact have been a terrible car (ride height aside) and really some 240sx that someone put a Silvia body kit on? Is that a thing?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was just playing geoguessr.com and came across a shot along the Mexican border to Texas.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes I get a little road ragey but it's always from a desire to "just go!" and I try not to focus it on any one particular idiot even if one person is being an idiot. You just gotta chill out and remember to:

(When I first saw that there was about 2 seconds where I thought the guy just really hated Stone Temple Pilots)

Edit: ^^ Relating to that, my girlfriend has to testify next week for a friend's husband in a road rage incident. Some guy was being a dick, pulled them over on the side of a road and got out of his car to confront him. But her husband is a huge personal trainer and so he got out to meet him halfway, and once the guy started getting in his face he just pushed him over. All it takes is a push and now the guy is suing even though he started it. Then you got the whole Zimmerman trial. Everyone just get a garage, get in your car, leave the garage and don't ever get out until you get to the next garage. Leaving vehicles causes nothing but trouble it seems.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 17, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Alighieri posted:

Did the hellaflush thread go to the gaschamber eventually? Can swear there was one around a few months ago, voted one and moved on when I looked through the hellaflush thread.

I assume it just died due to inactivity since there are like 7 people here who like that stuff. Sort of like the toy car thread I like :P

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ oh you're right, I just assumed since it was a cell phone pic the color was off enough it might have been plum crazy.

Kill-9 posted:

Yeah, I got that. But the car is purple.

It's Plum Crazy!

I do wish they offered those cool colors on the cheaper models just so I'd get to see them more often though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Looks like it ran over one of those robot things from the Matrix movies.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone know if this "Special Edition" Dodge Stratus was a factory option or someone paid to have this done? I can't decide which is worse.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

You see I think it's great. I love it when mid-model refreshes throw something in that I think makes it look worse, so the people who buy new ones get a newer car but people like me who bought the '12 model get to say "Well that's stupid I'm so glad I got one a year ago."

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tekne posted:

He rode the lightning.

Has anyone confirmed this to be the actual first wrecked C7? Any more info/shots?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Really? accidents are inevitable? only if you are an idiot.

veedubfreak posted:

I have had 1 accident

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

So, I know it looks like a Beetle now that it's all squished in but is that a Cavalier in the intersection that managed to knock him upside down and 50+ feet away? Because that's pretty A.I. I think.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

What I always liked about that scene was even after he lost, the Ferrari owner drove home with a hot lady while Paul Walker just drives home with Vin Diesel.

Edit: wow I just looked this up: 1997 Ferrari F355 Spider 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.5
If accurate that's not even as fast as the base Corvette of the same year.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 28, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

Thats why you can get one now for 45 grand.

By that logic I would like a Lamborghini Countach for around 25k please.

Is the guy in the photo not Ken Block? He's just a guy dressing like Ken Block? Is the joke that Ken Block currently drives a Ford instead of the Subaru he used to? Is it that the photo says "Top Tier Imports" and that's a 25k car? Or that the BR-Z is RWD instead of AWD?

for reference:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Shrapnac posted:

I thought Ken Block drove a Ford now.

Yes that is why I said "Is the joke that Ken Block currently drives a Ford instead of the Subaru he used to?" then posted a photo of the Subaru he used to drive.

Octopus Magic posted:

I'd rather drive home with Vin Diesel too. We'd play the best game of D&D and we'd watch Riddick together and watch the stars together. Can some pretty lady do that? :colbert:

I hope so. That's the dream anyway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tindjin posted:

Seriously what in the world? I thought they only did that to old vw bugs..

Someone made something similar with the C6 that looked a lot better but I can't find the website for the life of me. Here's another one done for the C5 though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

88h88 posted:

So this dude is nearly done with his car now.

What I really want to know is why that particular era of Celica?

I understand that when I see really stupid looking lowered cars that they're most likely bagged, so that when the owner wants to actually turn the car on and drive they can raise it to a height where it's not completely useless on public roads. Is there some sort of similar technology for camber I don't know about? When this guy puts his car in drive will those wheels tilt back to normal enough so he has a contact patch large enough where he's not a danger to himself and others on the road?