Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bunch of pics, but you really need all of them to take in everything.

Best off all, it's a 2.0 diesel :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Puddin posted:

This piece of poo poo Daewoo Matiz comes screaming past at about 30kmh, turns out that when you remove the whole exhaust from one of them, it sounds exactly like a Porsche. I almost lost it laughing, it was such a weird thing to see.

It's a 3-cylinder, right?

3-cylinder engines can actually sound pretty good, I guess it sort of mimics half of a flat-6.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xWItsdqKxk

You're right, I'd actually prefer that sound over a similarly sized I4. Then again, a BMW I3 would probably be a bit nicer than one out of a Metro.

I dunno, I like some I4s. Especially when they get bigger than 2 litres and have some decent headers on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSsfUvHnDCY

Then again, I'm probably biased. I especially like the sound at idle, that sort of canal boat-like thing that I've only ever heard on uncorked V8s before, like the GT by Citroën and Zenvo ST1. Which is hilarious considering it's just a little 4-cylinder.

Not very many 2.2L I3s to compare it to, unfortunately. And this stays in the terrible poo poo thread because LOL French 4-cylinder sounding good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 20, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That does sound pretty good under load, not so good at idle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"I dunno, man. The bass is a bit lean."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmB-ImzZT94

:stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I wanna do the inverse of this and hold competitions to see who has the most sensitive hearing aids.

I wanna do a competition where the goal is to have the most powerful tweeters. Instant tinnitus for everyone!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Don't Minis have their window controls in the same place?

As does every small Fiat made since electric windows became an option. My Panda had them next to the gear stick, no problem at all.

My parents' old Mercedes 190 had all four window controls near the gear stick as well, along with the power mirror adjustment. Worked perfectly fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I dunno, they look perfectly reachable to me. If you have trouble reaching those, you're probably sitting farther away from the steering wheel than ideal, unless you have long legs. For instance, the seat looks like it's too far from the steering wheel to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My overall seat position is dictated by still having a slight bend in the knee with the clutch fully pressed. I like the steering wheel up close and personal, and my seat back quite upright. Those two combined should let me put both wrists on top of the wheel while my shoulders are touching the seat.

For me, this is really comfortable and puts me well within reach of everything on the dash, but I guess it depends a lot on body type and distance to the pedals and so on. Basically everyone I know likes the seat back really reclined, but it's so much more comfortable being a bit more upright.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait...wait...is that seat...?

:psyduck:

It's a Toyota GT-One, I'm fairly sure they knew what they were doing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad's old Citroën Jumpy company car had the controls for the electric windows and mirrors in the same location on the bottom of the shelf above the windscreen. I have no idea why, but I thought it was cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 28, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

None of those are for the windows, the window controls are in the center console:

(4 windows, central locking button and rear window lockout button)

The controls on the ceiling are for the shades on the triple moon roofs. Each front seat has its own and there's a big one for the rear seat. I have no idea what the other buttons are for, but they look like HUD controls to me:

(Click for huge)

I totally want a DS5. Anything related to it really doesn't belong in this thread.

E: vvvv Well yeah, obviously. Actually I don't really want a DS5, I want a huge Citroën with ridiculously soft hydropneumatic suspension.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PainterofCrap posted:

And you thought that nasty smell was just the catalytic converter

There we go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jaaaaaaaags. The Mark 2 is my favorite, as well.

Mark 2 trivia: The Mark 2 is also well known as the car driven by fictional TV detective Inspector Morse played by John Thaw, although Morse's car was the least desirable version (with its 2.4 L engine, steel wheels and Everflex vinyl roof). It was often pushed into scenes with engine noises dubbed onto the soundtrack in post-production. :v:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 6, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Astroman posted:

Holy poo poo, me too? :aaaaa:

I wonder if this is a common modern anxiety dream?

I usually have one where the brakes on my car suddenly become completely ineffective :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuQ6f8rgT4

Death Wobble from outside and inside the vehicle.

:stare:

With hand positioning like that, he deserves to die from massive death wobble.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zeether posted:

It's missing the area for the Institute of Advanced Motorists (which would be both sides of the wheel)

Everyday they're shufflin'

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ I'm pretty sure I have a rear tire that's slightly out of round, it's particularly aggravating around 30km/h. I can't wait to get my summer wheels back on my car. I can't imagine how anyone could drive around with anything more seriously out of round or imbalanced than that.

CommieGIR posted:

I vary between racecar drivers and farmer, if I'm making a wide turn I go farmer and with open palm rotate the wheel. If I'm driving cross country I'll switch between racecar driver and mom.

:ohdear: Have I been driving wrong?

I think "farmer" is meant to signify that you have a suicide/brodie knob on the wheel, like most forklifts, combine harvesters, tractors, construction equipment etc.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That exhaust is the greatest thing. The rest of the car, not so much.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I never noticed that was the exhaust... :allears:

I like how it's just a totally random skull in the middle of an otherwise featureless expanse of flat panel.

In my mind, the engine is tuned to backfire and blow flames and be the most metal thing ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Look at that handbrake lever. It's glorious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently calling out people who can't drive standard transmissions in GBS is a terrible car thing also. I expect a red title because someone got butthurt that I made fun of lovely autotragics.

Nah, but being a dick about it is a terrible thing. The red light creeper thing was relevant, getting all high and mighty because you drive a car with a "real" transmission wasn't.

Ain't nothing wrong with automatics. I prefer a stick shift unless I'm in some kind of decidedly non-sporty cruiser type car, but it's not like automatics are actively hurting me (or you) by being available in other types of cars as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those Eric The Car Guy videos were awesome, thanks for linking them!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aurune posted:

I had a terrible car stuff encounter last night at dinner. No pictures sorry. I'm eating my dinner when the four people at the table next to me loudly begin arguing about cars. More specifically, street racing. What followed really was like "VTECKICKEDINYO.GIF" in real life. Highlights included:

1) What speed you needed to be doing before the cops wouldn't chase you further.

I have no idea why this is such a popular subject among brainpower-challenged car guys. It always seems to come up. Yeah, everyone knows that Danish cops usually don't give chase above 180-200kph or so, the idea being that they would simply be further endangering everyone else on the road. That doesn't mean you can outrun them. Ain't no car or bike made that can outrun a Motorola.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Honestly, if you're in a situation where you're being chased by the police, chances are that you did something really stupid and illegal. Don't do that and you won't have to worry about outrunning the police.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JP Money posted:

I would also argue that it is unfair to classify that behavior as "driving it wrong" as that's exactly how those cars are intended to drive. There's not some hidden spike of power at 6k RPM's that you're secretly tapping by redlining it because it wasn't designed like that. You're just giving it more gas than a normal fuel conscious consumer would.

No, it's absolutely "driving it right" for the purpose the car was made for. But a lot of the time when someone complains that their car is too slow to keep up with traffic, they're short-shifting it because engine noise is scary.

Hell, taking just about any car to the redline in a couple of gears on an onramp once in a while will be good for it. Short-shifting has killed a lot more engines than redlining, it's just insidious in that the damage happens slowly over time compared to the usually catastrophic failures you get because of overrevving. Soot accumulates slowly until the engine simply cannot breathe properly anymore or you get stuck valves or what have you.

An acquaintance of mine basically never ever takes his car outside the city and he does mostly short trips in it. Surprise surprise, he was having engine issues. His hack-job mechanic told him to fix it by running higher-octane gasoline. My guess is that carbon deposits in the engine hosed the compression ratio to where it would run like poo poo on normal gas. I told him flat out that a good old Italian tuneup would cure most of the problems, but he insisted on trusting his mechanic. Not my car, I don't care.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Number_6 posted:

We shouldn't all be deprived of accurate information just because some people are idiots. Put a disclaimer in the owner's manual that explains that it's normal for the oil pressure and temperature readings to fluctuate under different conditions. And anybody who comes in to the dealer and complains about it (without a real underlying problem) gets a $75 diagnostic fee, non-warranty, for being a dolt.

I love how PSA does idiot lights. In pretty much all Peugeots and Citroëns, you have at the very least coolant temperature and oil temperature represented by actual gauges with indicated temperatures. They may be fudged a bit, but they do move about depending on how hard you drive the car, ambient temperature and so on. There's also the standard array of idiot lights, oil pressure, CEL, that sort of thing.

And in the middle, you have a gigantic red "STOP" light, like ten times the size of the CEL. If you can somehow miss that, you deserve every bad thing that will inevitably happen. I can see how some people can mistake the little red oil light to be an oil level indicator, but there's no mistaking a huge-rear end red flashing "STOP" in the middle of the dash.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It would be hella illegal in the EU, I know that much. Spiky or otherwise protruding objects that could possibly be defined as "pointy" are not allowed at all. The most you're allowed are hood ornaments like on Mercedes' or Rolls Royces, and even those are iffy for pedestrian collision safety.

I have no idea about the US, but I would assume it's not strictly legal in most states.

Cakefool posted:

The temp gauge has occasionally pegged the red on ignition after not being driven for 3 days.

The temp gauge in my Panda did this as well, but only on really cold days. Probably a low voltage condition.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 17, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On the 208 & 508, they definitely have the "new" gauge system (needles don't move within a large interval) on temp.

That makes me really sad :(

As far as I can see, the new 301 (ruggedized, low cost 208 sedan for developing countries) doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge, just an idiot light.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Some of my favourite cars are twenty to thirty years old and worth, well, probably less than the metal they're made from. But I haven't bought a 325i instead of a 328i and then decided I really want it to be flush/tyte/poked/whatever. Admittedly I've never understood the appeal of E36s, but I think the point is that this guy has followed his dream and his dream does indeed seem a bit stupid.

I bought one of my dream cars, too. It's a 12-year-old French family sedan which I admit is an odd choice, but I've always liked them. I can understand why some people feel the same thing for E36.

However, I can't understand why they insist on ruining them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

I have an old sports car and love it, nothing wrong with that. One day I'd like to own a Miata too. My LIFELONG FANTASY is a threesome with Diane Agron and Natalie Portman.

Throw Mila Kunis, Anne Hathaway, Kiera Knightly, Genelle Williams, Lucy Liu, Tina Fey, Allison Scagliotti and Alison Brie in there as well, and you've got my fantasy. Jasika Nicole too, even though she's lesbian. In my dreams she's bi, ok?

Uhm... So uh, how 'bout them terrible car things?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shifty Pony posted:

Houston, please keep this to yourself.

Signed,
The rest of Texas (and likely Louisiana)

Is this breaking tables? I can resize

More like breaking legs.

Why are these stupid wheels even A Thing? How did it come about that driving around on stupid poo poo like that = street cred? It doesn't make any sense, even less so that they cost from $2000 and up :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:haw:

Two amps, two 12" subs and NOS

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poor little Panda :(

(Warning: :siren:LOUD:siren:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6BKFQMj1KY

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 30, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What's wrong with the 360?

I agree completely that it's a horrible idea, though. The 406 Coupé is pretty enough on it's own, no reason to make it into a half-assed replica of a Ferrari. At least the proportions look right, I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What's that stupid sunglasses and fedora-wearing badly-mustachioed 'thing' in the trunk supposed to be? I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't place it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FIRST TIME posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the Lowrider Man in and of itself is not terrible car stuff.

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

It's not wrong at all, lowriders are awesome.

But putting a lowrider logo on the God-King Emperor of Rice's fake-rear end FWD Celica dragster, that's terrible on a whole new level.

Actually, my first thought was "Why the hell is there an effigy of Sergeant Angel Batista in the trunk of that Celica?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HairyNipple! posted:

Ah, Pininfarina. They've created some stunners, but they've missed the mark a lot as well. Some of these are actually pretty cool.

Pininfarina, you say? :v:

(Hyundai Matrix, styled by Pininfarina)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nearly got into a road rage-induced scuffle today. Some dude got really mad that I changed lanes to get around a bus and as he went to overtake me on the inside, I changed lanes back to the right again. He stayed behind me and I thought that was that. About 500m further up, I changed lanes to the left again to take the left fork in the road.

Apparently, he wasn't done yet, so he barreled up my right side, dove in front of me, nearly sideswiping my car if I hadn't braked hard and came to a complete halt. Then, in the middle of goddamn traffic, he started getting out of his car. I peeled out into the opposite lane to get around him, then back in my own lane and across the light. He followed, drove aggressively and then made a ridiculous passing maneuver between me and oncoming traffic (on a road with one lane in each direction), almost sideswiped me again and then I have no idea what his plan was, because he didn't even stop or get out of his car that time. This happened right in front of my apartment, which I obviously didn't want him to know.

Since I was behind him at that point, I dove down a side road and took at circuitous route back and parked where I live. I guess if he'd followed me, I would have driven to the nearby police station and parked there instead.

Goddammit man, some people. Some people.

I still don't get the whole thing about getting out of your car because you're pissed at someone in traffic. You can bet your rear end I'm staying inside my 1½ ton shell of metal and glass if something like that happens, that's for sure.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Every new car I see still has orange peel. It look like rear end :(