Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've never bought a new vehicle from a dealer before, and I work at a bike shop where I sell bikes some of the time. We put almost no effort into the sales. Just answer questions and spend 2 minutes haggling if necessary usually. Partly because the bikes are not worth a lot anyway so it doesn't help us to spend a lot of time pushing them. Had a few customers tell me they liked our sales style. Now I know why. Man. What a bunch of annoying poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are you guys saying that there are modern cars which have open paper oil filters like this? This is irritating 1980s technology even on bikes, which lag behind cars in technology. That's just offensive.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Can you imagine being the poor fucker who has to write the service manual for those?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DJ Commie posted:

They could never package anything without insane complexity.

There's an indie mechanic near me, Ferrari trained, he works on lots of weird poo poo and normal poo poo. Alfas, Lancias, Saabs, Subarus. He flat out refuses to work on Audis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

No, the current HEMI is an actual hemispherical piston and head. So its an actual HEMI, but the pistons are not nearly as hemispherical as they used to be.
This is kinda funny to me because I recently read a fun book about some old and new racing engines. A good half of the book mentioned or explained in detail how high dome pistons and heads are bad for performance engines. And this was figured out back in the 60s.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Galler posted:

Tow the Miata with the bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

The best part is, I bet he tried to claim insurance on it.
Wasn't the story on that video that the guy actually sued Ford because he thought the Raptor could safely do that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Panty Saluter posted:

Jesus, that poor car. I'm amazed no one was hurt. I'm also amazed the race officials didn't toss Kogay out on his ear.
The body language from his crew when he parked it too far away from the fuel hose was hilarious. "Come on, again?"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Post terrible web forum stuff in this thread

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's why the Tesla interior controls (one huge touchscreen) look like a horrible idea to me and I'm amazed no review has ever mentioned them. Aren't there literally no tactile feedback buttons on the console at all? What are the chances that will work intuitively and reliably for years to come? You'd need the combined UI powers of Google and Apple just to design the software right.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How the hell do you mount tires like this anyway? I have enough trouble with ones that are designed to fit the rim.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh this is the finished repair? That's not confidence inspiring.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VikingSkull posted:

there's a backstory here and if you know it, holy poo poo
I just read this book a couple weeks ago and it mentioned this ad. Interesting thing I think I gleaned from the book is that the safety situation at Indy was way better than at any F1 track back then. Prize money like 50x as much at Indy too. Weird.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VikingSkull posted:

Haha, guess what prompted my post, that same passage in that same book. It's a great read, ain't it?
Yeah I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm finishing this one up right now too. Also very interesting. I'm on a motor race disaster bender at the moment.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
About to finish season 2 of racing that sidecar rig. We're still one of the few rigs on the circuit who have not cracked a frame.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's all made of mild steel so it's all fairly flexible anyway.

And you're required not to have suspension on the side wheel because that was normal before 1973.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shampoo posted:

The classic "that's the way we've always done it" argument.
It's a vintage bike racing club.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Oh thank god I can't wait for BMW to follow suit and start suing people for putting M3 logos on their budget BMWs
BMW has already been doing this forever. A few years ago the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners club had to change all its logos because it was using the old style bronze lined roundel with serif letters from pre-1961. Can't do that, it has to be the modern logo. And the logo has to be in a square white box with a black edge and a black line through the middle and has to say "BMW CLUB" in the top half next to the modern logo and then underneath that you can say Vintage Motorcycle or whatever. I'm not making this up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is hoonigan actually a thing that exists? Like a car-with-no-suspension club or a lovely-shift-lever manufacturer? Or is it just a phrase that's sold on stickers for no other purpose than selling on stickers like [what I assume] metal mulisha is?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

fakeaccount posted:

90% of the people I see driving mopeds here in the U.S. are people in their 20s, 30s, and above who have lost their license to multiple DUIs.
People who own mopeds, putting aside "moped enthusiasts", are the worst people. College aged guys who think they can get reliable motorized transportation from a 30 year old vehicle with 0 maintenance cost.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I still can't believe that goddamn fan was enough to cool that thing. Can you imagine how much heat that thing must put out at WOT?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

When wankel saw the revised design he said 'You've turned my thoroughbred into a pack mule!' or something to that effect.
IIRC his original design required disassembling almost the entire engine to replace the spark plugs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Uthor posted:

Germans had a problem with that?
No everything was perfect until the Japanese ruined it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Camaro Ownership Changes Life Path
by Petrolicious 11,171 views 13 hours ago

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've heard tubed dirt bike tires blow up from over inflation, sounded like a shotgun going off. I can't imagine what a tubeless car tire blowing would sound like.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sudo Echo posted:

It looks like an 80s Nissan with those wheels, good lord
Looks like that even without the wheels

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

88h88 posted:

Ignoring the stupid roof, this is a real car? One that you can actually buy? It looks like it's 4' to the bottom of the pointlessly tiny rear window and it's not even a 4x4. What the hell is going on here? This thing is loving hideous.
Seriously, is this a stock Cadillac body? This isn't some custom thing? The rear end really looks like a joke.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

Somewhere along the way we lost sight of the true villain here: snowmobile companies making road vehicles.
Snowmobile companies are making American motorcycles now, no less.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Why would you go to the work of doing that, using an Explorer... and not use the right Explorer?
Boomerjinks made a Ghost Busters car out of a Subaru.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The article was written by a woman. But we can consider it a triumph of aspergian men's rights culture, battling its way back from the brink of demasculization at the hands of the gynarchy, that finally females are referred to by their scientifically accurate attributes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know a guy who drives an A7 and he's a really nice guy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've seen 5 of those movies. None of them were fun. Not like Days of Thunder.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Even covered in that and with a girl in the passenger seat... :sissies:
Good lord, I didn't notice that was a girl. I looked at the car and just assumed two nerd guys.
I feel bad for that girl.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What blind dyslexic designed that gauge? "mph" is prominently in the middle of the kph numbers (nowhere near the mph numbers) with "kph" hidden well off on the end of the kph numbers, and "miles" is also right near the kph numbers when it should be below the odo display it presumably refers to.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fucknag posted:

Actually IIRC F1 engines use pneumatic valve springs only, they're sill actuated by a camshaft AFAIK.
This blew my mind when I found out. Just remove the valve springs and you can run a normal engine to 20k rpm. Insane.

Also on the topic of crazy valves, I saw this one mentioned not long ago on one of Jay Leno's vids. Sleeve valves:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rhyno posted:

I just really, really, really hate Melissa McCarthy.
Thank you for agreeing with me. Do you also hate Chris Farley? Can we be bros? I just found out everyone I work with loves her and Farley and I feel so alone.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Powershift posted:

I would say any chrysler where the windows roll all the way up, blower motor works and blend door gives you a choice is still well ahead of the pack.
My dad recently upgraded from a 2000 Caravan to a 2006 T&C and roughly the same number of switches/solenoids/motors on it are not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SaNChEzZ posted:

I really like how trees just don't give a single gently caress about cars hitting them.
Seriously. Trees are like indestructible unless you use a saw.