Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

Seeing as thats in germany im pretty sure its illegal to paint your car all chrome too.
He's got a red plate on it though so pretty much everything goes cause those are dealer plates for "test drives"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

It's most likely vinyl. They've come a long way from metalized polyester films which cannot be stretched and last about 6 months outdoors.

Yeah probably. Would still be illegal though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Raw_Beef posted:

Is it because of visual impairment of other drivers due to reflection that they wont allow metal finish in deutschland?

This has me really wanting to paint a big old american car in stainless finish like the f-104.

Yeah. Its cause you can pretty much blind someone on a sunny day. Afaik there is no clear wording as how much of a car can be reflective and it probably depends a bit on your TÜV or the cop who stops you. But the whole car definitely doesn't fly.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

neckbeard posted:

Was stuck in traffic this morning next to a Nissan Juke, they have to be the ugliest vehicle currently on the market right now.

Im pretty sure we've already talked about that thing in one of these threads and after someone shopped away one of the two sets of headlights it actually looked alright.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

DropShadow posted:

I remember that. It started from this photoshop:

... but I don't have the one with the lights removed. Here's the original.

I still hate it.

Yeah it still didn't look great but much better than that four eyed monstrosity. No idea what the designers were thinking

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kill-9 posted:

The pointy bit sticking out the front isn't too pedestrian friendly though.

Nothing about a bullbar or a jack attached to it is in any way pedestrian friendly, so you might as well cover it with spikes cause it ain't gonna make a difference anyway.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

As a card carrying Nerd, I would just pretend I was adjusting console controls on a Star Trek shuttlecraft when raising and lowering my windows. It also gave me excellent training for being able to use the controls on the dash of my 65 Deville, where the radio knobs are somewhere near where the middle of the glove box would be on a modern car. Ergonomics have indeed improved over the last half century!

My interior wasn't too bad. Since my previous cars were an early 90s Ford Tempo and a mid 80s Cutlass Ciera, it seemed very modern to me. I don't like plasticky interiors in general nowadays though, so my tastes have changed.

Thats why, as a nerd, i love the interior of the Citroen DS5:

Switches in the roof! :dance:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the French do some weird stuff on their cars. Weird controls ( I don't have buttons on the steering wheel, I have two little extra stalks behind the wheel with audio/ cruise control buttons for example) and they might just have some technical problems (like needing a new turbo after 90000km :argh: ) but I really like their design. It's a lot more interesting to look at than most of the stuff other companies churn out. I sat in a DS5 at the dealer and I really love the cockpit. It's all science fictiony and buttony. But not in a confusing way like recent ford cockpits.
I'm pretty happy Peugeot is moving away from the whole gaping maw design though. Those cars had the stupidest smile on their face.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

EightBit posted:

The front of vehicles don't have poo poo for reflectors on them, at least in US market trim; the idea is that you are more likely to see the rear end better on your side of the road with the legally mandated rear reflectors than the front with significantly fewer mandated reflectors.

When you park in the direction you are driving you can easily see the road from your drivers seat without moving the car thus reducing the danger to overlook traffic. When you park against the driving direction your drivers seat is away from the road and you have to move most of your car onto the road to get a clear view of the road. Thats pretty dangerous. At least thats the best explanation i've heard.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

CharlesM posted:

Very clever.

Which one is that again? Is it one of the Mazda derived models?

edit:

Forwarded to me. No idea how it happened, but it is in Brussels.
What kind of car is it? Is that an Opel Insignia?

Nah taillights dont look like that on an Insignia. I'd say Volvo V40.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You people and your fancy plates.

Now those are some fine plates!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Why so needlessly complicated?

:denmark:

It's just weird that you guys can choose if you want the EU stripe on your plate or not. Bow to the EU dammit!

The stuff on the German plates makes sense though. The lower symbol between the numbers is the seal of the state where the car is registered and the upper one is color coded to show in what year the car needs to have its next TÜV inspection.
So cops can tell at a glance if the car is actually registered at all and if it's TÜV inspection is up to date. Both are required to drive the car on public roads. German efficiency!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So after this fascinating discussion about which gas stations near you have diesel pumps there's only one burning question left for me: How many of those diesel pumps have those little tabs on them that keep the pump going when you take your hand off?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

slip proof stairs posted:

Oh, that's actually kind of cool.

Ist generally a cool car with some neat features and some real innovation in it. It just looks like poo poo.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

tobu posted:

Took the spare donut out of my 13 year old car the other day because some bolts had fallen under it and were rattling around. The donut still had some plastic from the factory on it and was at 50psi (meant to be at 60).

Smooth moves Nissan. Smooth.

Good thing Peugeot didn't bother with this and just strapped the spare under the trunk under the car. Really helps with keeping it fresh! But it's not really a problem since the jack is also strapped under there and already rusted all to hell so I won't be able to change a tire anyway :haw:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Mine solved it's own problem in this regard and dropped the spare and tools onto a carriageway at 70, obliterating the front of a saab stationed 4 Planck-lengths off my arse. I was entirely unsympathetic, it took ages to find a full size replacement.

Well I sure as hell won't have that problem seeing as it's held in place by a very thin steel cable! Secure as gently caress!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just did the rear brakes on my car. The size of the discs and pads differs if you have a panoramic roof...
Yeah i get it, its a couple of kilos heavier, but seriously? Even the small brakes are over-engineered for the car.

loving french bastards...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It's me. I'm the terrible car stuff. I tried changing the gasket on my injectors and had to take the cover of off the engine (not the whole cylinder head, just some plastic cover that covers the camshaft). Didn't cover the holes, took a clip out of the diesel return lines, dropped it right into the engine, vanished right into the oil under the camshaft....that was a loving fun half hour with a flashlight, a screwdriver and a magnet. Rags in every loving hole that's open for more than two seconds after that. Cover your holes people!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Which engine was this? This experience sounds eerily familiar.

Peugeot 1.6 109 HDI (109 hp :smug:). But they've been using that same engine in most Citroens and small Fords in europe as well. loving piece of poo poo, already blew a turbo, leaks oil all over the place, at least three injectors have damaged seals (i hope, if the injectors are the broken parts im looking at at least 450€ just in parts)

Haha, jesus christ, i just googled the engine (DV6TED4) and they put the loving thing in a Volvo S80. Yeah thats gotta be fun to drive lugging around 1,8 tons.
They also put it in several Toyotas, Suzukis, Mazdas and Minis...jesus christ people

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, have a Volvo V50 with the same engine (called D4164T in Volvo speak). 310k km and counting, running like champ. *knocks on wood*

Just a heads up. Mine killed its turbo cause of a filter in the turbo oil line. It's clogs up easily, leaves the turbo dry and kills it. You might want to look into removing the filter or if not at least be very thorough with your oil change intervals.

Oh yeah. The whole half hour pants making GBS threads was all for nothing anyway since I couldn't get the injectors out. That was a fun day!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

wayfinder posted:

Oh wow, that actually was Steve Jobs's car and he swapped them out every 6 months because that's how long you can legally drive a new car before the plate must be put on.

edit: DO you guys have special plates for handicapped people's vehicles though?

Wait seriously? You can drive around half a year without plates? Do you need to register your car at all?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Keychat, and also extremely terrible car stuff:

The 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO key.

Roughly the same size as an oil tanker, and non-retractable, with a radio range of about ten feet, and a non-removable, non-rechargeable battery with a circuit design that wiped the key's electronics if you removed the battery for replacement. It was easily the worst part of what was otherwise a pretty great car.

(You could cheat and solder a 1.5v source to the terminals, swap the battery, and then remove the source, but seriously, what the gently caress.)

I was so relieved to see a page about key battery replacement in my Peugeots manual. They just tell you straight up " hey this is how you open it up, you need this kind of battery " None of that "take it to the dealer, they'll know what to do and happily charge you for it" bullshit I've seen on other cars.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The engine on my sisters VW Polo looked like that. She just wanted to add a bit of oil because it tends to use some up over time and when we opened the filler cap all we could see was black sludge.
So we opened it up, cleaned it as best as we could, did an oil change and ignored the occasional oil pressure warning light that popped up in the next one or two days.

Runs fine!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Puddin posted:

Oh I know why they do it, just have a straight bumper and dump it without having fake tips sticking out.

My Peugeot has that. You cant see the exhaust without at least getting on your knees. Just a straight bumper. But my Peugeot is a family car and not marketed towards "performance" drivers so they probably didn't think it necessary.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I got the German equivalent (ADAC) which is like 90€ a year and it paid for itself when I blew a turbo while on vacation in wales and had to have the car shipped back to Germany. They also paid for the flight back for me and my wife which was like 300€ on its own. I don't even know how much shipping a car halfway across Europe would have cost me.
It also helped a couple of times when I had a dead battery and when my mother in law locked herself out of her car (which they usually wouldn't help me with but I convinced them that it was me who left the keys in the car so they did it eventually)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Depends on the state you're in. Some states have them stay with the driver.

Here in Minnesota, the plates stay with the car, but are replaced every ten years, and there are several special plates you can get if you donate to wildlife conservation at your yearly registration, so they're screwed on. Granted, the screws are usually rusted solid!

It also depends on the country in Europe. Cause, you know, they have wildly differing laws and regulations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Shell in Germany has their clubsmart thing which guarantees that you'll only pay 2 cent per liter more than the cheapest gas station in the area! I still can't believe people sign up for that...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I saw someone driving this while driving to work:

It was freezing and raining and he was dressed in full on outdoor jacket and woolly hat and looked miserable as gently caress.

Don't get me wrong. Those things have their uses but man would i buy a beater to drive in the winter if i had one of these things.

Oh yeah, doors cost 600€ extra. The doors do not include windows. Those are another 300€...

Oh hey forgot about that. It also does not have a heater...

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 17, 2017

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
They can't even dump them on Europe cause we got a different Passat over here.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Right now there are a 20000 brand new Passats in Germany just sitting in the VW parking lot because their supplier for glove compartments had a fire and couldn't keep up so all of them are finished except for the glove compartment. They even started to offload them to parking lots of other companies and pretty much stopped production because of this.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I work at a teir 2 automotive supplier and the rate we've been told for any problems forcing a line shutdown is $17,000 per minute. That glove box supplier is probably wishing the whole plant burned down at this point.

Yeah JIS is great when it works but when one little thing somewhere fails it costs a shitton of money.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I think I can hear my MX5 crying outside..

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I think that's counts as "Test failed".

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

It's meant to evoke the CV8 in its styling touches, which itself is an acquired taste, to put it politely.

So the massive gaps in front of the door re because this thing has sliding doors that open to the front right?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

I've mentioned before, this is how my parents got into BMWs. The Vauxhall dealer was being a cock wanting to do the whole Jeremy Paxman level interview routine asking every question under the sun, and it got to the point my dad just walked out and went to look at the BMW dealer across the street. Who gave him the keys to an E30 and told him to bring it back when he was done.

It's pretty much the salesman's job to figure out what kind of customer you are. Do you care about power or the environment or gadgets or whatever. Do you want to be pampered and have everything explained to you or do you just want to take it for a drive to figure poo poo out for yourself.
A good salesman recognizes what kind of customer you are and doesn't just try the same shtick on everyone.
A bad salesman just does the same routine on everyone because it at least sells some cars and its easier this way.
I always thought it was kind of fun to figure out what the customer actually wants, especially if you sell stuff you are passionate about.
I mean...you immediately have something in common!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Terrible Car Stuff:

Someone stole the front license plate of my wifes car. This, as i have now discovered, is a big deal here in germany!
I have to got to the police to report the theft so they can blacklist that license plate for 10 years, then i have to go to some office in the city and give them the remaining plate so that the can destroy it and then i have to get completely new plates and completely new documents for the car because the license plate number has to be changed in all of them.
All of this will set me back at least a 100€ because of all the "administrative fees" and getting new plates stamped.

I hope someone at least tries to rob a bank with the plates or something so the whole effort is worth it and its not just hanging on some teenagers wall because his initials where on the plates...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

eyebeem posted:

Which is why none of my cars have front plates.

I don't think cops hassle you for it unless you're driving a civic with a fart cannon.

I wish you could do that over here. If only because the PO of my MX-5 hosed around with the plate holder and its a surprisingly big hassle to get the plate safely attached now.

But our speed cameras take pictures from the front so if you drive without a front plate it cuts into the cops revenue!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Man i'm really scared of putting a new exhaust on my MX-5. The cheapest ones are usually "sport" exhaust and im scared they just make it sound like a droning mess. I wouldn't mind a bit more sound but i think "good loud" is way more expensive than "lovely loud" oder even "normal"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

BlackMK4 posted:

You can calculate where and how long the Helmholtz resonance chambers / 1/4 wave tube should be fairly easily (http://nrubenstein.com/images/330is/quarter%20wave%20tube%20calculator.xlsx), it works really, really, well. Ever wondered why OEM intakes and exhausts have those weird pipes that go nowhere? Yeah.

Here is one (1/4 wave tube) on an Amuse exhaust for a S2000

This is a helmholtz

This looks interesting. Sadly there's no way the TÜV lets something like this slide unless its something specifically built for my car by a manufacturer with the right certification. Or i could throw a lot of money at the TÜV to have them test if its save and doesn't make the car to loud. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Oh THATS why the car suddenly got a lot louder after changing the muffler. I wonder how long that bolt has been missing. The pipe was just waiting for some bump to break free.