Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, the wheels are a bit too much, but other than that I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

I see you've met GM tachometers then. :v: I'm convinced the tach on my car exists to tell you "yup, the engine's running".

The Corsa was sold with little modification as a Saturn Astra - it replaced the Ion in 2008.

:10bux: says someone just swapped badges.

The Opel Astra was sold as a Saturn Astra. The Corsa is a different car entirely (B-segment, same size as the Aveo/Yaris).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

General_Failure posted:

Holden Astra too or is that different?

It's the Cruze now but prior to that yeah.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
For which one, coolant or oil? OBD are required to monitor coolant temps for emissions control but I don't think the same is true for oil, and I don't think most cars actually come with oil temp sensors from the factory, so maybe that's what your extra sensors are for.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BMW shithead posted:

Every story has a beginning; every tale has a journey, or event that had to be overcome. For Ian, owning an E36 had always been his fantasy.

Owning a 20 year old 3 series that's worth maybe $4500 has always been my fantasy

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have an old sports car and love it, nothing wrong with that. One day I'd like to own a Miata too. My LIFELONG FANTASY is a threesome with Diane Agron and Natalie Portman.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a less hard-to-see one.

:effort:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Negromancer posted:

I went out to the yearly Italian Car meet at XXX root beer in Issaquah on Sunday. Sadly there was not the best turn out due to the rain, but this was the first thing I saw as I walked up.

Awesome, a Pantera!

Wait a second, wtf is going on with the front end......

DEAR GOD WHY :cry:

Sadly I didn't get a picture with the headlights up, which had been swapped for the "sleepy eye" style you see on so many miata's and rx7's. I had to wait for the owner to leave before taking pictures, in fear that he would have tried to talk to me. Of course he was a middle aged guy who had a bluetooth ear piece in the entire time.

There was also a Lada Riva(that can just be seen in the top left of the first pic) there which made me laugh, but I guess its basically a russian built Fiat, so it belonged.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Finally took delivery this weekend!

And went to my first meet up already:

Wait what

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
More proof that the government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners (unless the winner is Chrysler) :c00lbert:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not sure I understand all of that but it sure sounds like a lot of work for a truck that probably cost $5k new.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IPCRESS posted:

They're in addition to the standard wing mirror; they're typically a fisheye to help you reverse park and/or assess the damage to your toddler when you've reversed over them.

They really are fantastically useful, but they have trouble clearing pedestrian safety standards in places other than Japan.

I found them really useful for driving on roads carved into the sides of mountains without guardrails.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.leftlanenews.com/marchionne-jeep-commander-was-unfit-for-human-consumption.html

quote:

"That car was unfit for human consumption," Marchionne said of the Commander. "We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them."

I'm really not sure what's so bad about it, other than looking kind of weird with a too-short wheelbase since it was based off the GC. Most reviews at the time seemed pretty positive. Maybe the looks just meant it couldn't compete with the H2 and Expedition? I've never driven one, but it's a giant SUV so what dynamic issues could there be?

I think Marchionne was just hamming it up and playing politics by dumping on the previous admministration.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

enojy posted:

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why this is terrible. This is probably a Fiero, isn't it.

Looks like an MR2.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kill-9 posted:

He actually called me an hour ago and apologized in person. I was stunned. He actually seemed sorry. Maybe it was sorry for getting caught. But he told me to let him know if the insurance company gives any problems and he'll make it right. At least he's manning up now. A little late but there it is.

Well at this point what does he have to gain by being a dick to you? I'm sure the cop took him aside and explained in very strong terms how he isn't going to enjoy all the paperwork and courtroom bullshit that will surely result if this whole thing isn't settled amicably and someone ends up needing to get got.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/790410.shtml#.UcOHTflmh8G

quote:

A woman tragically killed her husband and herself while backing up her car in an underground parking garage in Ningbo, Zhejiang Province on June 18 as their 6-year-old daughter watched in horror from inside the car.

Qianjiang Evening News reported 41-year-old driver surnamed Lin, who was issued a drivers license in May, was practicing backing up her Lexus RX270 SUV into a parking space as her husband directed from behind, when she backed up too far and pinned him against the wall.

According to the report, Lin stuck her head out the window upon hearing her husbands scream, and accelerated in an attempt to move forward. She however forgot to change gears from reverse to drive, which not only killed him instantly but caused her head to get stuck between the car and a wall along the parking space.

Rescue team arrived soon after but Lin died from her sustained injuries in a nearby hospital, said the report. The couples 6-year-old daughter saw the entire tragedy unfold from inside the car.

A source surnamed Yang said that Lin had successfully parked in the space once before that day, but her husband asked her to do it again because she needed the practice.

Oh Toyota~

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

blugu64 posted:

Kids from the 90s can drive now??!!??

EDIT: Way more :corsair: when I stop and realize that Nevermind came out 22 years ago.

Taylor Swift was writing songs 22 years ago?

EDIT: Oh, checked wiki and there's some other thing called Nevermind

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 24, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a dedicated off-road/mud vehicle that is already very cheap, the cheapest on the market in fact. What kind of loving cashmere and velour interior were you expecting? If you're going to go buy a G-wagen because you don't like the interior well then Chrysler's probably OK with it.

The secret to Chrysler/FIAT profitability is re-using the same touchscreen radio in every car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Volk posted:

Has any car with more than a lawnmower engine had a successful CVT? It seems like they have an incredibly high rate of failure between cars like the Saturns and the A4s from the early 2000s.

The later Nissan ones have been quite reliable, including the ones used on the Dodge Caliber/Jeep Compass/Patriot that have low range transfer cases.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

The Toyota Prius, at least since the 2nd generation, has been using a CVT, and the Prius is pretty drat reliable. That said, the Prius puts down a bit less power than the Ion and Vue, and tends to have owners who barely touch the gas.

The Hybrid Synergy Drive is only a "CVT" in the sense that the end result is a drivetrain that doesn't have any gears. It doesn't have anything in common mechanically with the Nissan CVTs which are systems of belts and pulleys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive#Principle

The way it works is sort of like a full time AWD system, except in reverse. So a planetary gear set is receiving 2 sources of torque, one from the ICE and one from the electric motor, and blending the 2 together seamlessly to power the front wheels. The Chevy Volt works in about the same way.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

Has he got his front and rear wheels mixed up, or is there something else going on there? It looks... odd.

It was already pretty odd looking from the factory, and it looks like his front wheels aren't the right size.

EDIT: These things had the crazy 4 link angled upper control arm set up in the rear too, that had all kinds of bind up just driving on regular streets and is basically the worst live axle rear ever. The Camaro's 3 link w/Panhard bar was considered far superior but that's why it was more expensive. :911: Superb handling indeed.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 14, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand what is happening here. It appears to be a collection of pictures of Brown Toyota Camrys?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe, I remember when it came out that the V6 was actually the optional upper trim engine while the V8 was the base. Wikipedia says the V6 wasn't even available at all for the first year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Professor Bling posted:

For future reference, that's (apparently) actually the Mandarin word for courage, 勇气 (yongqi), but in a horrible abortion of the traditional characters, 勇氣.

I get irrationally angry about hosed up Mandarin since I spent my entire enlistment learning that poo poo.

勇気 is Japanese and correct. You can stop being angry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

animeliker posted:

I think the Hyundai Stellar and Pony would be entertaining LeMons beaters, you can still see them on the road from time to time in Ontario (The same cannot be said of early Excels). From what I understand they're basically a knockoff Ford Cortina with the Mitsubishi driveline.

I think it was actually a Morris Marina or some such because Hyundai hired a whole bunch of ex-British Leyland people to help them jump right into the first world car market. Another result was that Kia minivan (Carnival?) still using some variant of the Rover K-series V6 engine all the way up to the early 2000s.

Anyway the Stellar and pony were never actually sold in the US, only EU and Canada and I guess AUS/NZ as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

See also: Large SUVs that fare much worse than compact cars in collisions with, say, a school bus, because they rely on their mass for crash safety rather than good engineering, so they collapse when they lose the mass battle.

That may have been true in the past when SUVs were all still tinfoil bodies slapped on truck ladder frames, but all modern crash testing is done against non-deforming barriers, and modern SUVs even BOF ones do as well as anything else.

There are other reasons why a BOF SUV may be less safe e.g. in a rollover where suddenly all the metal is now on top of the passenger cabin.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

This is all true unless you're ford. gently caress the RWD transit to death; you have to drop the subframe to do a clutch and the engine is awkwardly buried halfway in the car like it's a BMW m3 or something.

The M3's engine is buried halfway in the car?

The fuel economy of the Nissan 5.6l V8 is amazing. C&D's long term test vehicle got no more than 14mpg.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/vans/1305_2012_nissan_nv_2500hd_long_term_verdict/viewall.html

It doesn't have any EPA ratings but the 2WD Titan that it's based on gets 13/18, 15 combined. This a supposedly high tech aluminum block DOHC V8 with VVT and all that jazz.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a pretty glowing review of the Ram Promaster.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/review-2014-ram-promaster-cargo-van-with-video/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

JP Money posted:

This doesn't look that bad? I mean sure it's more time consuming to remove than a normal battery but it's not like it's hard? Am I missing something?

A minority of people here just irrationally hate Chrysler, you'd think they'd find something better to complain about instead of "abloo bloo this thing that I might have to do once every 2 or 3 years at most is going to take 15 extra minutes".

The LH cars were not always terribly well built but in terms of design and packaging they were very well thought out. It was the pick of the litter compared to the Ford Taurus and its pot metal transmission and 3 timing chains or any of the 4 turds that GM was making GBS threads out that all had some variant of the 3.1l/3.4l 60* OHV V6 that was mentioned earlier.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's wrapped all the way around now when the base V6 models of Porsches and Jags also have turbo/superchargers, yet the top trim V8 turbos are still the only ones that are allowed to be called turbo/supercharged.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

Has anyone confirmed this to be the actual first wrecked C7? Any more info/shots?

The first civilian one maybe, there was that one that spun out on a desert road in Utah or some such and another one that was t-boned by a Lincoln Town Car at an intersection but those were all manufacturer demo/test cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the first part of it was actually true,they sold guns into Mexico as part of some elaborate sting to attempt to catch Mexican criminals, and it largely didn't work (no cartel leaders arrested).

Except the operation started in 2006 so claiming Obama was the mastermind behind it is kind of dubious.

What is there to investigate about "seal team 6"? I mean it's a real unit in the US armed forces, we know what they are, so...?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

A large number (or all?) of the members of Seal Team 6 involved in the Osama raid died in another operation not too long afterward. This was, of course, because Obama is actually Osama and he needed to kill people who "killed" Osama so they couldn't reveal the truth that the reptiloids are trying to hide!

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, is that true?

No I remember that, it was a thing where some Talibs shot down a Chinook with an RPG in Afghanistan not long after the Osama raid and it carried a number of SOF types who were all killed. At the time it was not mentioned that they were the same people who were on the Osama raid but then it dropped off the headlines after a few days. Didn't one of those people go on to give an interview about how he was broke and poo poo?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep. 90% of Ford's profits are from the trucks and the Expedition. They can stop making every other vehicle and pull out of every other market outside the US/Canada except for the trucks and the Expedition and still make 90% of the money they make now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Excessive government regulation once again strangles economic growth and job creation

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you remember when GM made terrible cars? Well in case you don't, General Motors' executive vice president of global product development and global purchasing and supply chain is here to remind you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Truck almost went off the bridge. Luckily he had 9 other trucks in the bed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kastein posted:

And when they slow down, catch up to them and act like you're going to pass them again, so they take off.

I've fed many a bear with angry, lovely drivers money this way :haw:

e: here is some terrible car poo poo, 14 pages of old whiny fuddy duddies bitching about how we should use cubic inches still and the 5.3 should be called a 327 and the 5.7 should be called a 350 and :bahgawd: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/lets-go-back-cubic-inches-seriously-39975/

Sometimes I think we should have a thread where we quote other internet car forums, like the "it's always more and it's always worse" thread they have in DnD. Gminsidenews is really one of the best out there - a forum ostensibly about GM, except it's sponsored by Ford, every sub-forum has a sponsor message about how Chevy sucks and everyone should buy Fords, and full of crazies who hate GM(like me :v:). The same company also runs fordinsidenews but it's a ghost town with no posts compared to gminsidenews....and they own thetrutheaboutcars too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
When you buy a house, offers aren't offers until they are in writing, otherwise bullshit walks. Same principle should apply to everything else soo. If you want to offer me a lower price, come over, check out the car, appear to be interested, then lay out your lower price in cash on my table and we will talk. Otherwise you're just some faceless goon on the phone and why should I take your offer seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It has to be some kind of roundabout money laundering scheme?