Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

C3 vette, actually. it looks like the same kit they used in miami vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's not gonna be cheap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Math You posted:

I am actually quite impressed with what Nissan has done with their CVTs.. From a technical standpoint that is. I would not buy one, but my friend has a sentra and the drive train is not the first thing I'd complain about.

I really like Ford's powershift or whatever it is branded. Is anyone else going that route? The only thing going against it is people who have only ever driven automatic freak out when they feel the clutch work at low speeds.

The problem with nissan drvietrains is the engine. I drove a versa with the CVT, and it's like they took an early 00s poo poo engine and bolted it to a modern CVT. it's loud and buzzy and always running at a bajillion RPM.

With a modern engine that makes peak power lower in the rev range, it would be far more tolerable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spotted this at an auction

The ultra rare kia rio V8 limited edition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

And this at work. I'd say he was waiting to afford huge rims, but it's been like that for over a year. Really clean CVPI except for the 4x4 stance.

Yes, it rides stiff as hell, thanks to the cargo coils or whatever he's got under there.

That's pretty presumptuous :colbert:

That lift is nowhere near sufficient for anything larger than stock tires. It's possible he's got air bags and keeps it aired up to whatever is comfortable for driving.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Can't wait until I can pick one of these up at auction for a song, and get in on that sweet LS3 action. I don't think I've seen any around here though... (California)

They don't use the LS3, they use the 6.0 L77.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Oh. Huh. For some reason I recall that they were going to have the LS3 in them, drat. The L77 is cathedral port, isn't it?

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter, most caprices out there will likely be the 3.6 V6, the same as the last gen impala. I don't think i've seen a single hemi charger police car, they've all been v6s.

More terrible stuff:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

The V6s are just coming out now, it was v8 only for the first little bit, likely why there seem to be so few out there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While looking for prices, i found something truly terrible.

http://www.chevrolet.com/captiva-sport-crossover.html

It's SO ugly.

EDIT: V8 is no additional charge, limited slip rear is a cost option on the v6, so get ready for open diff, V6, 4000lb sedans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Where do I find pictures of the finished project.

That's just a low blow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now this is just silly. I drive a 4x4 f-150, and his bumper was level with my roof. It also seemed to be set to swerving by every little bump in the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As far as i can tell, it means "Courage" in the language of the terrible tattoo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I cannot fathom anyone stupid enough to load a trailer without putting the tow vehicle in park and/or setting the brake.

I had 2000lbs of electric motors in the bed of a 9000lb truck and it still pushed the entire truck slowly winching another truck onto the trailer. Hitting the back end of that trailer with speed probably popped the back end of the tow vehicle off the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ulfhednar posted:

An Explorer Eddie Baur Edition V8 5.0

That probably is a 5.0 exploder. The badge obviously isn't stock, but it's not like it's wrongly describing what the vehicle is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Nice car, why is this posted here?

What the gently caress?

Found outside a bar, it sat there for a few hours like that.

keys or no keys, that interior absolutely belongs here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Based on his level of skill displayed here, I'd be loving terrified to see what would happen if this guy attempted an engine swap.

One man's terror is another man's entertainment.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

General_Failure posted:

You can't improve on used tooling bought at a good price.

Counterpoint,

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

I don't know anything about aftermarket head units but the CD version of that unit is a direct swap and can probably be found for next to nothing on ebay or at a junkyard. My dad and I did that on his poverty spec F150.

Don't listen to this man. Do not do this. The only functionality the 1/6 disk changer had over that unit is the ability to permanently store 1/6 disks. There are about 1800 parts inside a Ford in dash cd changer and they are all poo poo.

Any 200 dollar double din unit will fit in there worth a 20 dollar mounting kit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That raises an interesting question. Are there more focus STs or BRZ/FRZ/GT86s in AI.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bisticles posted:

Any idea what I'm looking at here? I'm not sure if it's a *thing* or just massive frame damage.
edit: or both

He has a dump box installed. The filler neck is attached to the frame of the truck and no longer to the box so he has to lift the box to fuel it up

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ulfhednar posted:

I saw these on a car a few years ago. Looking online, they made these hubcaps in 15''

Spraypaint them chrome for that touch of class.

Edit: Turns out they are actually proper alloy wheels :psyduck:

There was a guy who took a set and turned them into 3 piece wheels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nierbo posted:

What car is that? (I'm aussie)

nissan murano crosscabriolet. Pretty much the most awesome vehicle since the AMC eagle, too many people here just haven't realized it yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That would look ok in sane color combos. Red tires on black wheels on a black car would be neato.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, road salt crew.

CHILL THE gently caress OUT WITH THE SALT.

This was one day, the truck was clean when i started the day. this is why we can't have solid older cars :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

What does ND use, then???

The worst salt use I've seen was two trucks going side by side up a dry hill in above freezing temperatures at least 24 hours before the forecast called for snow.

I think this town has gotten over zealous after a blizzard came through a few years ago, they called on all the independent snow plow drivers to help, then stiffed them all when it came time to pay. The next year a big storm hit, no one helped the city, and we were stuck driving over packed snow on the roads for weeks while every other county managed to clear the roads within 48 hours.

Now? Preemptive saltings. Woo!

Nobody lives in north dakota, it's a completely barren plain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

At least it makes the bed easier to load.

If it's bagged, you can crank up the air on the front, and drive a motorcycle right on the tailgate. Lowered trucks are great, i was thinking of making a bobber street truck out of my F250.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seems insurance claims are starting to get settled on the higher end calgary flood cars, and they're coming through the salvage auctions :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Nothing on that car will ever work right. I mean, it may work okay, but never perfectly.

It's still worth $96,000 apparently. I guess being submerged only takes about 30% off the value of a ford GT.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?act=conditionReport&stockNumber=HVJ81&rowpos=&act=search&rowpos=0&buyNow=true&showPictures=true

Shame it's been sitting for 5 months with the water in it. Hard to imagine there's anything left to work with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iForge posted:

who needs a screw type splitter when you can just weld an axe head to a big fuckoff wheel and attach an engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6s7zVF7_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGIg-eTN_0

I wasn't going to use those fingers hands anyways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just a reminder.

Mitsuoka does stuff to mustangs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Linedance posted:

Best part is that it's a factory option. I think even the paint is matched.

That's not the best part.

The best part is it also came with gold wheels, and the boss at kia claimed it was a coincidence.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"it's a 3 seater!"
"But i have legs"
"i'll get the hack saw"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There were 300 different duct tape designs you could have chosen, and you used THAT to fix it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ultra realistic flame paintjob.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

88h88 posted:

I never knew the US market got a different Focus than Europe/UK. I've never thought the Euro Focus was in any way a nice looking car but wow that's an awful lot of boring flat space on the back of that car. It looks like there's 5ft of car until you hit the belt line.

And that's probably the best angle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And about as structurally sound as the original!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Psh, it's way stronger.

Yeah, that's what happens when you double the cost of materials.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got lost for 2 hours on a russian car website. all was not lost though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine how many pounds of body filler he used.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 8, 2014