Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well at least there is a mechanical failsafe but even so that system kind of creeps me out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm curious if you've ever stepped foot in an even remotely modern commercial airliner.

The level of testing and QA that goes into any sort of safety equipment on an airliner is very many times more stringent than for a car. Plus modern airliners have multiple backup hydraulic systems for the control surfaces, etc. I just don't see how the comparison is valid when flying is so different from driving.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

"I just blue myself"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Kit cars that are nothing more than an appearance package to make a car look like a much more expensive car are pretty lame though.

e: Someone should show grover that though, doesn't he have a 97-04 boxster and a propensity for tasteless DIY additions

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 13, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Jesus loving Christ stop talking about guns you idiots have an entire forum for that poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Phone posted:

I see your 3 piece wheels and raise you my 14 PIECE WHEELS!!

New name for 13" dick

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Just imagine what those googily eyes look like going down the road, bouncing everywhere

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Concessions to aero basically.

It's a glass cover though, why couldn't they move the lenses to the front of the fenders and have them pointing straight?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Isn't it because light housings are bloody expensive to develop, so they used the lights from the new beetle? Because later versions have more normal, forward-pointing lights taken from the new mini.

Probably that's the reason why, I didn't know what car they sourced their lights from

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if GBS bleeding everywhere is an intended consequence of GBS 2.1 or not

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the license plate reads AMEN8MOM

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who invited you, four eyes?!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The driver side lock on my E30 is broken and I have to lock/unlock my car from the trunk. I get some weird looks in parking lots from it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
At least it isn't on one of the drive wheels, it amazes me how many people I see driving around civics and altimas on the highway with the donut on their front axle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is that a custom hard top?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'll take lowered trucks over brolifts because I can actually see around the lowered trucks in my car

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man that is almost exactly how I drove that track down to looking backwards on the straightaway

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
looks like someone rear ended them and they didn't feel like getting it fixed with oem parts to me

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ok like Freebirds is pretty good I guess but I would not get a loving license plate with it on there what the gently caress is wrong with Texas?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My car doesn't even have a seat belt receptacle for passenger side front seat and the belts are hidden in the back because I put the back seat together half assed after I rewired the car for my stereo. Makes it a lot easier to not give people a ride unless I really want to.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's a crown vic which is body on frame so it's not quiiiiiite as bad as if it was a unibody car

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're "Life Events" and they are the most godawful thing

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

What's the backstory on this?

If you haven't noticed there's been a lot of snow falling lately

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The guy who runs the best german indie shop in town used to own my E30 so he gives me a discount when I bring it in :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MetaJew posted:

This is exactly what my coworker had in his car. About the size of a box of tissue, not particular smell-- maybe like dryer sheets. But it made my eyes burn like crazy.

maybe it's because Japanese people tend to be big smokers? Are cabs no smoking in Japan?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

subx posted:

That's a good price but Falken's aren't really an off-brand, so I'd hope they are decent.

All the random tire manufacturers amaze me. Is there anywhere that lists which "off-brand" tires are actually just rebranded name-brand tires? I know some of the shops like Big-O sell some stuff as their store brand that are really just Michelin or whatever (and aren't a whole lot cheaper, but do have a nice warranty).

And one of my pet peeves is seeing someone driving 60+ on the highway on a temporary spare. Sometimes I'll see them a few days later still driving on it.

On the drive axle no less.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Galler posted:

That dude is a loving amateur at climbing fences god drat.

Yeah he totally gave up on that poo poo, kind of pathetic.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe the dude had a gun or something? That's the only reason I can think of really.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You really should be less obvious with your parachute accounts drat dude.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Toymachine posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Do you know what an actual E30 looks like because I feel like if you don't that's the only reason why you would say something like this

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I had fun in my time at A&M but a lot of that came from the suspension of disbelief that the "traditions" weren't dumb and hella forced 100 years down the line from when they were invented.

seriously what the gently caress is up with the jars of semen thing

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I do QA for an aerospace CNC company where ~40% of our employees don't speak english and 90% of the rest of the operators are $12/hr button pushers. We had some guy try to pass off loving shim stock as 2024-O because he scrapped a part and didn't want his work order to be short a part. There are literally no consequences to scrapping a part here. It delaminated during the hydroform process which make it really obvious and the dude was shitcanned, but maaaaaaaan. You guys wouldn't believe some of the poo poo that goes on here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We've been breakforming 6-4 without performing penetrant inspect for a good solid year or so on several dozen parts because despite people in QA bringing it up because our planners can't read specs for the manufacturing techniques they quote in their bids

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Luckily most of our poo poo is in 3D CATIA models and we can measure from whatever feature that we want

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah our official product definitions are the models themselves for most of the 777 and all of the 787 parts we make.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That picture is almost 2000 pixels wide

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I used a forklift to change a tire on my eta at work

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I concur, and I was a little irritated that someone would do something so silly to a nice, rare car (he did come across as a bit of a tit in general). He could sell his iS to someone who would like it for what it is, buy an equivalent condition standard model and tune it how he wanted, and still come out ahead financially.

On one hand, it's his car, and a well-done M20 turbo is by no means a bad thing, on the other hand, he's still wrong.

The dumb part IMO is going through all the effort to an engine swap and then you're swapping an M20 instead of an M50.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Aluminum-alloy

7075 to be precise, probably T7351 or some variant of since it's machined out of one block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
not gonna lie i thought that was a picture of the interior of that civic some dude was trying to pass off as a 3 series