Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Lumping dumb poo poo on cars, dumb cars on craigslist, dumb people on cars, and horrible failures together is a bad idea in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bytebark posted:

I had this toy as a kid but never knew anything about it. Randomly showed up at my aunt's condo one day and I recall never being able to get it fully folded up with the plane inside. What was it? From a movie or something?

Holy poo poo, I had one too, but without the plane. We didn't know where ours came from either.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 21, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Click to zoom in on the details. I love that this car has a model of what it aspires to be on the dashboard.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Who needs a trailer?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

I know someone I know has something gay like that.

Really?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Want to carry some cargo, but all you have is a Geo Metro? You're tall and need more headroom, and all you've got is a Geo Metro? There's a solution!

In case you can't tell because of the grainy film, that's a plywood cargo platform with eye bolts in the sides and the antenna mounted on it, built into the roof of a Geo Metro.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:stonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My car is gold :smug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Eponine posted:

Never mind that. How do you get into it?

With a trampoline.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Jeez. The body kit is worse, but it's not that much worse. That is a surprisingly ugly car.

I think it's beautiful :shobon:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Mind you I have driven more than a few km with my elbows on the spokes and my chin on the top of the wheel (very empty secondary highways)

I wonder if an airbag at exactly the wrong moment and position could knock someone's head off.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Here's the polar opposite of that, terrible from the factory:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Plates are from FL, Shot in VA.. the gently caress you need a raised truck like that for in FL :raise:

When he rides in it, he's higher up than anywhere else in the state!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Maybe it's hooked up to the radiator...

Wrong thread.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

terrible car stuff

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I took this photo of either the most or least self-aware Volkswagen in the Safeway parking lot. Click for a better look at the stickers, the "ubercool" license plate, and the lovely "fog lights" that look like track lighting fixtures.

My favorite is either the multiple five shocker stickers all over it, or the O'Reilly Auto Parts sticker.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

kill me now posted:

Saw this wonderful bit of car artwork a few days ago. Bonus points go to the driver for integrating the doorless gas cap into the artwork as the center of a sunflower. :golfclap:

happy little clouds

I don't see anything wrong with this :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ah, generation gaps... :allears:

Buckaroo Banzai is timeless. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

-S- posted:

Simply because she a) wants a convertible and b) inexplicably likes the way it looks. Believe me, I've spent 3 days telling her how terrible they are, but am apparently "being mean to her." I would honestly be fine buying her ANYTHING but that. Marital advice ITT.

slowly and gently guide her towards a volvo c70

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of manuals vs automatics, I was at a local car show last weekend and goddamn if there weren't a ton of automatics there. Is this just an old man thing, that these guys prefer to have an automatic? My Studebaker has an automatic but I want to swap the transmission as soon as I can. Manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun. I've actually been a bit surprised at how many old automatic cars you see around, even back to the 50s.

They also seem to like putting modern seats into the cars, which I'm also assuming is an old man thing.

50s and 60s consumers loved their gimmicky automatics.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My Volvo came with "Forceum D800" tires. They say "Made in Indonesia" on the side. As much as I like chirping the tires with moderate acceleration from a stop, I think I'll get new ones when the rain starts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Who says that only Volvo's wagons are good for hauling things?

I was responsible for sitting in the passenger seat and holding the 2x8 in place.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 10, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I wasn't able to get decent photos, but I saw the awful VW again. It's acquired badly-painted red wheels, a lovely matte black paint job on the trunk lid, and it's lost the O'Reilly fog lights. The front license plate is now mounted on what appear to be brass hinges from a hardware store.

I counted six shocker stickers of two different kinds.

Of course, it's parked right in the middle of two parking spaces.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

11BulletCatcher posted:

I.... I'm not sure how I feel about this. I sure hope he doesn't throw a rod...

I feel it's posted in the wrong thread.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I saw the archetypal wursted-out VW again today. It's evolving. I am almost entirely sure it's not self-aware enough to be ironic.

The front license plate is no longer mounted to the left side of the bumper with brass hinges; it has been replaced there by a shittily bolted on tow hook with a front drift charm. He has replaced his sun visor with it. I assume that he no longer has the option of raising his sun visor.

Better view of "visor". He has at least two O'Reilly stickers on the car...

...and at least three FrostWire stickers, including the one stuck on the dashboard next to the Despicable Me thing. Who the gently caress puts stickers for a Bittorrent client on their loving car?

I haven't counted the shocker stickers. The last time I saw this car, there were six.

Two of those "F" trochoid stickers, whatever they are. He's rattlecanned the roof black.

Four Frostwire stickers.

Wheel in the back seat, and "tartan" rear deck cover. I'm not sure if the cloth there matches the pattern and colors on the seats or not.

Edit: also, what appears to be a third bucket seat? I don't know if this car naturally has a fold-down seat-and-a-half on the right there.

Five Frostwire stickers total, now, along with an additional two shocker stickers, the rear drift charm, and some overspray and weird paint damage on the bumper. Either it's black plastidip or he bought a shiny VW emblem to replace the one he painted black.

Smoked marker lights and red wheel, complete with overspray on the tire.

Rear drift charm. And, finally, to top it all off...

a mis-sized, damaged carbon fiber applique over the fuel filler door. Check out the parts where he had to cut smaller pieces to make it fit.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 9, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I just noticed what appears to be red spraypaint overspray on the calipers. Jesus christ.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Apparently 30 truckers showed up to that thing in Washington D. C. They proceeded to block the freeway by lining up and going 15 mph, at which point they were pulled over and told not to block the freeway. They complied.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

as far as I'm concerned, anyone who can afford a modern Ferrari can do whatever they like with it.

Galler posted:

On the way home today I saw a Prius with those eyelashes on it and I was all excited to post about how dumb it looked but it doesn't hold a loving candle to that poor thing.

I nearly got smashed by someone in a Prius with eyelashes and an oversized bumper sticker that said "ACK NAUGHTY", who decided to try and pass me in the left lane (on a 25mph surface street) while I was changing lanes, and then honk madly. The driver looked to be in his mid-20s, male, and with a shaved head. I think he was angry that he had to drive his girlfriend's car :allears:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Worst (wurst) Volkswagen somehow got worse.

This has got to be ironic. It has to be. There is just no goddamn way someone thought this was in any way, shape, or form good.

Yes, that is the wheel that was in their back seat last time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rolo posted:

What the hell? So is this to make it so your car can only get broken into 50 times instead of 51?

your usual BMW customer would rather be told that than "BMW's lock cylinders are shoddy so you probably shouldn't use it too often"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

WikiHow, the how-to site that anyone can edit

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 21, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Molten Llama posted:

For more Greatest Hits of WikiHow, see How to Flush Power Steering Fluid.

Cliff's Notes: Take a screwdriver to the brake booster and then grenade your steering gear.

You forgot the best part!

he's just so bored with this whole process

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ulfhednar posted:

Random piece of what was probably petty vandalism in the next lot over:

That parking job is pretty bad, but I'm not sure it's bad enough to be called vandalism.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

CharlesM posted:

I don't get it. What is terrible about a Volvo?

i dunno, i feel like volvos shouldn't be made in china

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I live in California. Which states do I never travel to when it's not summer?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I found a bad car with an amusing parking job.

the side skirt on the other side was similarly hosed up and broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What the gently caress are all the electrical cords for?

NoWake posted:

It looks like the city blocked off parking to put up christmas lights

I assume so, since there was a guy in a cherrypicker putting lights in a tree on the lawn to the right of the car