Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Making your what, 400hp(?) V8 have 200-225 hp is definitely terrible car stuff.

I think the newest GT is 500 hp, I'm trying to imagine how terrible it would sound to be that far down on power

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Number_6 posted:

It's not fixed (the 5 second power thing). If Ford hasn't done it by now, I'm pretty sure it's a hardware/cooling issue that can't be solved easily (read: can't be solved cheaply without redesigning something).

From what I've read, I believe the Mach-E's battery & power architecture has its roots in a much more limited (i.e. non-performance) initial design. They later decided it needed to be a MUSTANG and juiced it up to deliver more peak power, but the inherent limitations of the battery and/or other electrical components prevent it from sustaining max power levels for long.

The Mach-E was absolutely designed as a grocery getter at the beginning, they were only ever planning on it having a peak power of around 260ish hp, then a Good Idea Fairy was like "Lets staple it to our Mustang brand for Brand Recognition, and also it needs more JUICE", and they came up with the AWD version with 350hp, and GT version at 480hp, but didn't beef up the cooling or power delivery system (apparently Mach E GTs were spontaneously igniting when charging or driving?)

The design of the Mach E probably has parallels to the Pentagon Wars bit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 26, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Most people are so sold on oil being such long interval that car companies have given them a false sense of safety when it comes to oil conmsumption.

10k mile oil changes are on thing I blame, failing to explain to owners that they need to frequently check the oil level is another.

I only put like 10k miles per year on my daily driver so I just change it every 6 months, I go to the dealership because 10qts of full synthetic and a change costs me $28, since I bought the car from them, literally impossible to beat that price.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know anything about it. Was scrolling down fakebook and there this was:

How do you think this comes apart? Does the U-haul actually pull forward at all or does it spin its wheels? Do the straps holding the truck to the trailer part, dropping the truck off the back of the trailer?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElLtNohlATU

I kinda wonder if it would be possible to design a shrillin' chicken that didn't travel into dog hearing territory when at anything other than idle.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Now here we have a man of taste

That engine compartment certainly seems like it's been well seasoned

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

The round one was so popular it sold out.

This is like fuel injection units on old gm products. They came out, worked like poo poo, so everyone converted them back to carbs. Now original fuelies are hard to come by, as are the parts etc 60 years later.

Same with the triangular "batwing" air cleaners that were around back then.

60 years from now people are going to be restoring Teslas and those lovely yoke steering "wheels" will be highly desirable.

Cute of you to assume there will be restorable Teslas in 60 years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NoWake posted:

If I'm reading that correctly, it's front-wheel drive?

No, they stuck a Dana 60 front diff on it for looks. Swapping in a 4WD transmission is expensive but you can find a front diff at a pull a part place and you're perfectly set up to brotruck through Las Vegas.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Post/username combo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

david_a posted:

One of the linked “shooting through windshield” videos didn’t load so I went to YouTube and searched. I got both of these videos and a million tactical operators explaining the “best” way to shoot through a windshield.

And now the algorithm is going to send you a million gun nut youtube channels as well as wild PragerU/Jordan Peterson poo poo, because the algorithm is terrible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrong thread

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Most people think that thing is rad as gently caress, regardless of practicality or structural rigidity, so wrong thread.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

The problem with it is it's all manual so you have to adjust it before you navigate the terrain. A self leveling setup that auto adjusts even slowly would kick serious rear end. He just needs a nerd to put a motion controller and some feedback sensors on it. I've seen that concept before that is at least partially set up to be automatic.

But yeah what's with the giant visibility blocker? He's hiding mechanism but drat dude put it somewhere else.

Probably to protect his legs from being crushed without putting a full cage in front. The pedals seem to protrude a significant distance forward and down from his seat position, and while he could have caged it fully and it would have been safer, a vertical longitudinal hoop is cheaper material wise.

Though, if you're worried about a couple extra steel tubes, but still building a weird articulated bug thing, then you're worried about the wrong thing, I'd think.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

If someone has the tools just take 0:18 to 0:24 then put the reverse on the back to get it to loop.

Then triple the speed

Then 6 me.

It's got to roll forwards and backwards and also loop, if it does that it's good sixer material

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

how big of image can go there

drop it like it's hot

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I learned in my brother's 2006 Jeep Wrangler about 20 mins before he was going to teach me how to off-road lol, so I got a trial by fire on it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cached Money posted:

I feel like the new "Civic with fart cannon" is a Golf GTI/R with a fart cannon and crackle tune. Is this a euro thing or is it the same in the US/elsewhere?

Golf r already has a fart cannon and crackle tune hth

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Love when they have it set so it pops and bangs with the car not even hitting 3k RPM. It's the best thing ever.

My mustang will overrun a bit if I downshift when it's not up to temperature but that's about it, once it's warm and changes to closed loop it doesn't burble or pop or anything. It is a little fun to give it just a bit of gas and then let off and listen to it do it when you pull away from a stop or going down a hill. By the time I've hit my 2nd stop sign in my neighborhood the block is warmed up anyway and it stops as long as it's above 60f outside.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 21, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwwG_su6R_Y

Is a video but still solidly "terrible car stuff", youtuber who seemed to know his poo poo, and basically trades on being an old car guy who is something in the classic muscle scene massively misunderstands what the spring on the bottom of an oil filter is for, and assumes that the spring is for an oil filter bypass, and not the little flap valve in the bottom of the media. Proceeds to tell everyone that "yeah your car never filters any oil if you're at anything above idle".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Motronic posted:

This is eric the car guy level bad. Or that idiot boomer Scotty Kilmer who made the video about hot to use crimp connectors on brake lines after making videos about washing out catalytic converts with magical substances to fix P0420s.

The funniest poo poo is that there's people in the comments taking his misinfo as gospel and *actually* planning on doing an "oil filter delete" and just changing their oil more often. <50 hours of use on a non-filtered application = complete loving sludge oil, and car engines since the 1950s I think have not been designed to have any sort of bypass filter system as a thing, except to prevent emergency loss of oil pressure. RIP all those tiny oil channels.

I guess if you're driving an old VW bug, there's nowhere to put the oil filter anyways, but an oil filter delete implies your car was designed for clean oil and not sludge.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 22, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

Old VWs also used to advertise in newspapers how little time it took to change the engine and how much they cost.

Engine blocks as a wear item! Autozone doesn't want you to know this secret! gently caress changing your oil, just drop the engine out and put a new one in! Throw the old one in the ocean! It's a cheap and legal thrill!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:awesome:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Jizz is expelled at 5252 RPM

You're going to need a lot of lubricant for that level of friction.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I hear ya demands for dick and shall oblige soon. Just not having a good day with this loving Forester turbo swap.

Right now I'm working out I did a terrible car stuff by putting 12V down the wrong wire at the fuel relay - said wire being for the trigger signal from the ECU and thence I think I have damaged the ECU. Now it won't trigger the relay but another ECU will.

Also on top of that the car has a immobilizer that needs the correct ECU so a straight ECU swap can't work unless it's a after market. The correct ECU if I hotwire the fuel pump will start the car, it runs for a few seconds till it splutters to a halt. Going to find a Link plug n play to test but I'm pretty sure the proper ECU is hosed and it's minimum a immobilzer / ECU IF I can find a combo again.

Or spend 1500 that I don't have right now for a Haltech or Link. Fuuuuuuck really annoyed with myself

12VDC down a data line will do that, you scrambled it's poor brain, all it wanted was to make car go vroom and you killed it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hey y0, we've had some dumb fun over the last few weeks but we're gonna back off with the sixxer rampage for a bit.

Hope you enjoy your expanded rap sheets :)

LC readers getting mad about the girthy Torque Dicks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You're not supposed to season your block like a cast iron pan?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got dinged in a parking lot one time in my MX-5, and when I sent it to Mazda for repair as the car was <60 days old, the repair cost wound up being over 20k because they basically had to cut the back half of the car off. They showed me the pictures and all that poo poo, dug out the repair manual showing what angle they were allowed to straighten the subframe from during collision repair, and showed how it was 2 degrees outside that limit, it looked like a tiny tiny ding but it was out of spec, and so Bondo and a mallet was not an acceptable repair solution. I didn't care at the time since I had full coverage insurance and I was obviously not at fault as my car was parked and I was not in it, so my insurance covered it with no fuss.

The reason it bent the frame and needed a totally new rear end was because my car was low and the hit was quite high on the trunk, nearly on top of the trunk lid, and it pushed the back of the car inward and it pushed down at the point where the back of the car goes down into the unibody, kinda make a fist and rotate your wrist forward, it did that with my trunk, where your first knuckle is the connection between the rear subframe and the underbody of the car.

What I'm saying is bondo, jbweld, and a mallet may not be an acceptable solution if the Rivian repair manual says "x is the acceptable tolerance for frame deformation in a collision". If the repair shop wants the repair covered by warranty they have to go by the book.

(coincidentally, my MX-5 got totalled in my 2nd rear end collision with another vehicle taller than me in a hit and run, got hit at about 10mph, and it did the same thing, crumpled the frame at the point where the rear subframe joins the frame, with the added spiciness of driving the rear suspension past its stops and smashing it through the tops of the strut towers, outwardly the damage looked minor, maybe $2000 in body damage visible, but the frame damage would have been more than $25000, at which point my insurance just asked for a total loss declaration and paid it out)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 2, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Isn't the Rivian truck dogshit anyways? I mean realistically no owner of a Rivian is ever going to take it anywhere where it could be expected to fulfill any capabilities of a truck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I don't know where to find it now, but I saw a video on Instagram of a Rivian doing some sort of offroading down a fairly steep grade, get to the bottom and then climb it back up in reverse.

I think the big issue with Rivian, based on what my brother who is considering buying one, is that all of the parts and accessories are extremely expensive or are pretty detrimental to range. The front metal bash plate is apparently $2,000. The tonneau cover is close to $2k as well I think. And then if you want the off road tire and wheel package you lose a good chunk of range.

Oh yeah, capability =/= what it's going to be used for, nobody who spends $80,000 USD (without upgrades) on a truck is going to take that poo poo offroad. Electric vehicles are amazing as rock crawling machines because of their low CoG and frame-twisting amounts of torque available from a dead stop. The only problem is the price of said electric vehicle.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Is it dogshit because it's bad, because it's expensive or because no one is going to use it for truck things?

The second, because people who spend $80,000 on a truck, don't do truck things with the truck.

It's very likely my own personal bias because when I look for a truck to use for truck poo poo, I get a work truck trim one with hand crank windows and no frills, instead of getting a luxury thing that is kitted out nicer than my living room.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 2, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hmmm, I am torn between Terrible Car Stuff and Awesome Car poo poo because I mean gently caress, it's an off-road trail ready tow truck

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

All trucks are bad. Terrible Nurburgring lap times plus the contractual obligation of 2 Morgen Wallen shows a year makes it a Bad Deal for most people.

What about the War Rig? Is the War Rig bad?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZP8ABsTP6c

this belongs here because while cool, holy poo poo he's lucky he's not dead, there's so many ways this could have gone wrong

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sb hermit posted:

does harbor freight really sell machetes?

should I really be asking this question on a public forum?

I guess I should wait until I volunteer for trail maintenance before I get one

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/knives-axes/specialty-knives/machetes.html

$5.99 even

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sb hermit posted:

it's just like harbor freight to put an impulse buy on sale at the worst time :smith:

buy at least 4 so that you can make an improved death-wheel bushwhacker from a discarded rear differential

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dagen H posted:

I didn't look, is it Thunderhead289's brush mower?

yup, it is glorious, but at the same time, oh holy gently caress what a bad idea

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Someone explain why it's a bad idea. IDK how dually differential housings work.

Safety mostly, blade digs into ground or pings off of something hard, shatters, and Luke winds up with 12 inches of carbon steel in the back of his dome. The end of the diff is very close to the ground so it pings off the ground constantly, and breaking is a concern. If that blade snaps it's going to go wherever the gently caress it wants.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 19, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

insanely sharp too

almost hit myself in the leg once, never used it again

They have a very good user height adjustment system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

image for people who want probes

Only registered members can see post attachments!