Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Saw a Wrangler today in quite a state. Dunno if it was spacers, longer axles or just ~~sykk offset~~, but the inside shoulder of the tires were at least an inch or two outside the fenders.

People used to pull rims off their VW beetles and fit them the wrong way around to get a wider track for off-highway use. Maybe the same thinking going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Every day at work I upsell & fit respected tyre brands like

-Nexen

Needless to say, our tyre machine hates life itself.

Have their uses.

The compound is slightly harder than granite, making them a decent choice for trailer tyres.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Wait, is driving around with different sized front and rear wheels an actually 'straya thing? I thought in the case of that pic it was just an unusually involved way of setting trailer tongue height.

Burnouts.

e: Cheap and cheerful 15"/16" tyres will run you as little as $80/tyre.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The RB30 was a solid mill*, but the main reason it's so well regarded is because it replaced the hopelessly obsolete 202, and was a better motor than the still-carburettor 250 in the Falcon of the day.

If you're looking for a project, sure. DD? There have been better, cheaper and more abundant cars made in the intervening 25 years.

*: A few skyline guys run the RB30 because it takes boost like a champ.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Captain Trips posted:

Wrong thread. :fap:

Look harder at the exhaust.

e: It's a sand rail with forward facing exhausts. They will be full of debris (specifically, sand) in no time, and exhausts that are full of sand don't really lend themselves to fantastic performance.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 25, 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

donut posted:

7 door!

Airport Shuttle?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

BobHoward posted:

I did not know the Mad Max apocalypse was upon us

I like to imagine everyone who fits these dies of tetanus the first time they change a flat.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

4 cylinders, 4 gears, 2 abysmal body kits? What a way for a name to die

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Wait, those things don't just run on gravity?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

We don't need no fuckin dualies.

I don't understand why goons are so ignorant when it comes to anything with a pickup box.

I suspect that a :thejoke: is coming my way, but isn't the issue there that the pig trailer's putting way too much weight on the tow ball and bottoming the springs, which isn't really an issue with the number of tyres on said axle? And that moving the axle group further forward will fix the obvious issue (the not-obvious issues being that I suspect the trailer weighs too much to be legally towed with a pintle hitch. And probably safely doubles the rated max tow on the truck. And does not look like it's got breakaway brakes. I want to stop looking at this image now).

Edit: Does the US not have any GCM limits on a car license or something? I'm genuinely struggling with this image and why anyone would buy an SUV a pickup rather than an MR/HR if they needed to tow stuff like this or the tractor regularly?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 2, 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fo3 posted:

They're only rated for 800kg in the tray, or tow 1600kg (braked).
Falcon utes are available in 1 tonne ratings in the back, or 2600kg tow (braked) :smug:

With general towing chat, yeah rules seem different in Europe.
Is it because everyone has a small car, it's allowed? No idea and I can't get my head around it.
I remember medium - large cars in Australia used to be able to legally tow heavy trailers, but that hasn't been allowed since the mid 1990s, now limited to 750kg total weight.

I've been told that the euro ratings are in part because there's a blanket 80km/h limit that applies to cars towing trailers. That may be utter bullshit relayed by a rental company employee with an abiding hatred of motorways to an idiot tourist doing a caravan tour of England who knew no better, though.

750kg only applies to unbraked trailers.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

JaysonAych posted:

There was a news article online about a 10-car accident on the freeway, and I just happened to notice one of the photos on the site:

Please don't let that be a real Cord.

If it is an actual 812, it will be fixed.

I hope.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Also nothing really beats quitting a job via fax.

An endless ribbon of expletives, bookended by the resignation.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Had that happened in America that motherfucker would be dead by now.

We all know we're thinking it.

But he's not black?

e: I don't live in America, so the news here only ever reports "Policeman goes to do presentation to schoolkids about not using drugs, shoots seventeen".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 25, 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Why the hell can't they just hook a flow meter into the fuel rail like sane people

Because then you wouldn't have an excuse to duct your exhaust into the passenger compartment and go for a thrash on the freeway. Really.

:downsscience: doesn't need to exist very often, but this is one of those times.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Reduces rolling resistance at speed, thereby improving tyre life and fuel economy :downs:.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

VacaGrande posted:

If you backed into that thing in an old pickup at full throttle there's no way a court of law would convict you.

Doesn't it need to be a Toyota?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

He's travelling at 100km/h while taking a photograph in a car which is doing his best to tell him to stop now, if not sooner.

Write back to him and tell him the oxygen sensor has gone bad, but he can recalibrate it by running the car in a closed garage until it stalls.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

88h88 posted:

Someone explain.

If I had to guess, axle tramp on a leaf-sprung live axle caused a failure of either the RHS spring or mounts, at which point the axle assembly rotated relative to the surviving LHS mount, creating a force vector for which it wasn't designed, thus precipitating a second point of failure. From there, nothing's* actually holding the axle captive any more and it's free to roam the world, looking for another axle with which it can settle down and start squirting out other 8.25" diffs.

Assuming that it wasn't just a failure to torque important things.

*: brake lines, like earthing straps, don't count as mounting hardware.

Edit, better explanation:

The rear axle has pupated, and has burst forth from its chrysalis. Once exposed to air, its wings and exoskeleton will harden and then it will set off to find a mate.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 21, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Where else is the endless supply of riced-out base models going to come from for people in 2030, though? There has to be a spec with a tractor engine and a blue suede interior that'll still be going and have stupid wheels and a dumb exhaust and twenty FORD POWER MUSTANG COBRA stickers.

You joke, but the Briggs and Stratton engine option is also likely to be in the best shape in 20 years when people are looking for project bodies. See also Kent engined Cortinas, 161ci Toranas.

Anyway, as my contribution to the thread: the Suzuki J24b has its thermostat on the cold side of the radiator. There is ample space for the thermostat to be in the head, it is where it is out of sheer spite.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I remember the heyday of carburettor super- and turbo- charging. I remember one particularly enterprising fellow putting an intercooler on his turbo astron II Mitsubishi Scorpion, the turbo kit for which was a draw-through design.

I look forward to these folks learning the same lesson that he did about large volumes of air fuel mixture just hanging about.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I love the cost cutting in a grand tourer:

"Hey, you think that we should get screenprinting done on the instrument binnacle for 'unleaded fuel only'"?

"No - grab the stick-on label printer from the records department".

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

nm posted:

Yes. Barry and his wife lived. Barry is out of the hospital as far as I know. They had retrofitted seatbelts in, which saved their lives.
some after photos:
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/barry2952/media/1941%20Lincoln%20Zephyr/IMG_2705_zpseiwmpuku.jpg.html

There is some indication the trucker was on a phone or texting. The truck driver is alive as well. No fatalities, thank god.

So are Lincoln Zephyr's sufficiently rare that that will be restored?

I imagine the truck driver will wish that he had been killed when he gets the at-fault accident bill.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Not only that, what the gently caress was the person in the white pickup doing that kept them from seeing that poo poo until almost the last second? :psyduck:

Betting no actual money: loving about with his phone or radio.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Rear inside turn tire strikes curb, bouncing the tail out and causing "oversteer".

Has the .gif been slowed down for the crash?

Toe angle of the LR tyre after he bounces the kerb looks a bit off. I think he might have broken something back there which compounded his issues, which would be very surprising at that apparent speed.

vvv It's a wet sump, so I'd guess the smoke is oil getting where it shouldn't normally get.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 25, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
If only there were a technology that auto makers could incorporate into their cars which could be navigated by touch and had an innate haptic feedback mechanism.

They could take this amazing future-tech and do things like use it to control the climate control and radio, so that people could use these devices without looking away from the road.

But yeah, death by Phylaris' Bull seems about the mark for texting or computing while driving.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 30, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Not green and it has half the headlights it should have, but I can see what they're trying to do.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

88h88 posted:

Yeah cars are too safe inside these days. :(

Maybe before you stir antifreeze into your brake reservoir.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I live in a RHD country, and I have to be honest: I would park like the Kia does in a heartbeat. Can't work out what the lines are for? No problem; sure hope you didn't have anywhere you needed to be before I'm done with whatever.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
No mention on the page of how failing to acknowledge the 4-sided simultaneous day causes cancer, 5/10.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, it would be. At least the PVC wouldn't actively try to bash your head in while simultaneously not supporting the car on it's roof.

PVC would shatter and become a source of spall/schrapnel, though.

Better to make your safety cage out of ABS, which has a more graceful failure mode.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

And the guy decided he'd post that with sound?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The performance potential of a 3- main bearing non-crossflow (and quite possibly a flathead, but I think that they advertised valve-in-head at the time; could be getting confused with Humber) straight six designed before the introduction of leaded road fuel shouldn't be underestimated. Why, I'll wager that with a suitable carburettor and a bit of timing it'll knock any LS you name into a cocked hat. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably also drank the kool-aid on modern junk like fuel injection doing something other than robbing power and breaking down, too.

And let's not get started on the masterpiece that is the original 3-speed constant mesh gearbox with a cork clutch.

e: yep, it was a flatty.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 25, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

You Am I posted:

The ultimate anti-tailgating device

My first thought was 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" on a front mounted hitch for moving stuff around a yard, but now I think that it's a rear bumper and the stippled stuff is a step into a van or wagon.

What function, other than causing people to smash their shins in a parking lot or tearing chassis mounting points and letting your trailer pull the side of the road to have a rest independent of the car, does this serve? Or is it just terrible owner stuff?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 2, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Assuming that the feet are integral and not just random box section steel found in a skip on-site, that should be safe. I don't normally see that many courses of packing, though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
If it's like the standard Evoque underneath*, then the answer is probably 'no'.

*: The last time I checked, they were all-independent with road-optimised suspension geometry with no locking diffs, reduction transfer cases or variable ride height. If this has changed, so might my answer.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
You missed the bit about FWD, then?

E: Oh god that's even more awful than I first thought. The wheelbase is too short which is why the front wings look so goofy, which means it'd be a W-body underneath. Re-body over what used to be a monocoque with no roof - that's going to have all the rigidity of an empty packet of cigarettes.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 23, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
He just wanted to make a point about BeamNG being unrealistic.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

The Pell posted:

Crossposting from Schadenfreude thread:

Why do I get the feeling that a pulsejet is about to make an unexpected and not-remotely-sensible contribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I am Jack's negligible increase in ride clearance height