Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Das Volk posted:

Look closely...

Is that a crack in the FR wheel?

EDIT: Oh wow was I late to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Crustashio posted:

I'm not a race car builder, but this doesn't seem right.

I'm not either but it seems like it'd add a good amount of roll over protection if tied into the floor/frame properly. If its just welded to the floor it'll just punch right through on impact. Also that looks like a micutre of DOM and hot rolled tube of different diameters which is wtf? Not to mention they put the rough surfaced tube at the peek stress point depending on the type of loading.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Crustashio posted:

"Bolt in cage" according to the ad.

Link please. Also I dont see any bolts.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

General_Failure posted:

Is that normal?

No. The roll cage is butted up to the seat and the seat is mounted to the cross bar.*

*I have never actually done this before but I think thats how it works.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ulfhednar posted:

It reminds me of the early 90s, when every company was slapping ABS emblems all over their cars and vans.

Edit: It's really hard to find examples since every image result for "ABS Emblem" just brings up aftermarket plastic car bits.

Edit:

I remember seeing these red ones on Chevy Lumina APVs

The frustrating thing about this is my 2008 Corolla doesn't have ABS.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rscott posted:

Kit cars that are nothing more than an appearance package to make a car look like a much more expensive car are pretty lame though.

e: Someone should show grover that though, doesn't he have a 97-04 boxster and a propensity for tasteless DIY additions

Dont encourage him posting here though

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ghost Farts posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, that suspension looks really sturdy

A couple pages back now and maybe a joke. Also IDK dick about muddin tor trucks but I know things about metal and engineering stuff.

Cantilever beams are horrible which that bottom mounting point is. They're especially horrible for anything that vibrates quite a bit. That triangular lower mounting point should have the same box on the opposite side with a large dia. hardened pin running through the whole thing. Presumably there would be a sleeve and bushing and some other details in there as well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Preoptopus posted:

I dont get why people are upset with chinese copying others. They dont have time to design cars as so many millions of people need them immediately. Anyone whos anyone in China is in one of the many high end European cars exclusively sold in China. That some dude in a rural village is driving around in a faux Range Rover (Evogue of all) doesn't bother me in the least bit.

People like this guy know whats fake and whats not.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tycoon-buys-30-rolls-royce-cars-macau-hotel

I hope you don't really think this.

Basically this: http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-calls-design-copies-theft-2014-10

As an engineer who has worked in R&D, the idea that I could spend months or years designing something for it to be ripped off and profited on by a person who doesn't own the IP to it is angering. There's a reason a copyright clause exists in the constitution and it is because rewarding innovators in our society is very VERY important to it's progression.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

While I don't disagree with you, I think in the case of these Chinese knock-off cars the only thing they're copying is the styling. The engineering is unlikely to be even remotely similar.

The styling is part of the engineering. Its been my observation that it is extremely common in China to just take something they see working and try to apply it with very little other thoughts except for cost. While that makes the nuts and bolts engineering come out super crappy, they're probably stealing the general mechanical design as well.

On topic:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2014

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smax posted:

I'm terrible car stuff. I left my GTI at the airport for a week with the lights on. Of course I came home to a completely dead battery that no longer holds a charge. It was just over a year old, too. :(

Warranty?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

InitialDave posted:

But it's not Dynamat, it's Dynamat tape. Isn't that just their own-brand of tape for sticking down and edge sealing stuff, with no damping properties itself?

Its literally aluminum backed duct tape like you'd get at a hardware store.

That said aluminum backed duct tape from hardware stores does have really good viscoelestic damping properties. Its actually a good choice for this although prob overpriced with the brand name.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Well, poo poo

Why is it that the people in the world who feel the need to project their unmanageable feelings on the world seem to gravitate toward pickup trucks?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StormDrain posted:

Have you never seen a Prius or Subaru covered in bumper stickers????

I've seen every kind of car covered in bumper stickers of various levels of stupidity and aggression. Statistically I see a lot more trucks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

iwentdoodie posted:

Move somewhere liberal.

You're also less likely to notice if it's things you agree with.

I used to live in SF. You just get a different flavor of the same unadjusted person, albeit fewer trucks and more angry about men or the environment or the government.

Everyone just go to therapy forever.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder if this story will end up public :v: Evora into the S2000 CR at Willow Springs.

Thats not how that meme works...itd be like:

"Cant lose the race if you crash while overtaking"

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 8, 2018

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

um excuse me posted:

My dream is to take these weird unicorn tires and make a racing series around them. Virtually unlimited rules, but you get 4 i3 ecopia tires to run on.

It'll look like FSAE but with those tires and more horsepower. It'll be a contest as to who can make the most HP/Weight and who can put the most down force on the tires without popping them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Elmnt80 posted:

Its florida, everyone is in a bad mood anyways.

What? No.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You all have thoroughly defeated the some goon said straw man. Congrats on your low HP cars.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Colostomy Bag posted:

:ughh:

Stolen from the Musk thread... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8AiSjGpsc

tl;dw They barely painted some panels.

Think the owner got in an accident in 300 miles? That rear is rough.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cacafuego posted:

Is that coolant being drained from the oil pan?

Aye

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

um excuse me posted:

At no point was a mention of what kind of car it was necessary to tell the story. That should tell you enough about that guy.

I picked this name to set people expectations of my posts very low and the specific forum I was thinking of when I picked it was NASIOC. WRX and STi owner are a special brand of idiots. I've owned 2 bugeyes and drive a '15 STi

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The crumple zone is the bitch seat passenger

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

david_a posted:

Isn’t carbon fiber less safe since it snaps instead of bending?

No, like any materials you need to take its various properties into account for your design. It could, in theory, be MORE safe given whatever the requirements of the design might be (usually weight if we're talking CF vs Aluminum or Steel)

Majere posted:

when are we going to get over the mindset of carbon fiber being "exotic" and "expensive"? it is neither in terms of manufacturing and end product forming. fake vinyl carbon fiber wrap is more expensive per yard at this point.

I've machined very little CF and when I did it was in a very brittle matrix but fiber pulling fracturing was a real problem, even when using tooling and guidance appropriate for the material. Taking conventional machining off the table instantly puts it into the "exotic" category in my book. How can you quickly rework prototypes, for example? Sure, I know the answer is to bond it to something you CAN machine, use inserts, etc but those are still additional processes that are labor intensive and limit rework.

2nd EDIT:
Ya know, my experience might have been worse because of the matrix, but heres a video of one expected to be used on a home build aircraft and you can see there is more damage to the resulting part compared to aluminum, particularly pull up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPB8U0lcRY

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 30, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StormDrain posted:

Radiant heating.

MRC48B posted:

Except it's probably PVC, which has a max temp rating of 140f. :negative:

If the coolant is piped from the radiator OUTLET, they'll be okay. Even if its hilariously negligently pre radiator coolant this owns and I love it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cached Money posted:

Just remembered I forgot to post this:

my Volvo is moist

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dissss posted:

My flatmate had an E36 318i and that thing would randomly unlock one or more doors while the car was parked. No pattern to it at all, didn't matter what the temperature was or anything like that.

A few pages back but...

There was a Hyundai at my old job next to an airport that I swear had an EMI issue that would induce a current on the signal wire to the trunk open relay. It'd be open maybe once per week and seemed to happen at roughly the same times.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I recently needed GPS for a few road trips and was going to just get the OEM unit that plugs into my OEM head unit, but that was gonna cost me at least $300, and then updates that are only available through the dealer are 600 loving dollars so I said gently caress that and looked into aftermarket head units. But I like the stock Pioneer made head unit I already have, it just doesn't have GPS, and I was looking at spending at least 400 on a decent aftermarket head unit.

Then I started looking around at stand alone GPS units, and found someone on CL selling a brand new, still sealed Garmin Nuvi. With a free update included. For 20 bucks :v:

Yeah it's not integrated but who loving cares, I'll only have it in the car when I need it for road trips and it works like a charm.

Do you not own a cell phone?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

No shifter ever has been gated this way, yea? Like, not even Mercedes or Porsche would do this, right?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe controversial but green lasers and boxes of nails work p good at getting their attention

Maybe controversial but going to their house and raping their husband/wife while screaming TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON work p good at getting their attention

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EDIT: Since it appears to have been lost on the mods and some posters, this post is criticizing Wasabi the J for acting like a road raging idiot. Hence including his bad grammar and stepping up the idiocy.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 3, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CommieGIR posted:

Terrible Mechanical Stuff: Military edition

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1499655828906946562?s=20&t=eWA5RYAsmQNVeACI41DBsw

TL;DR: You are supposed to regularly move military heavy vehicles to keep seals/lubrication. Russia has not. So half their equipment is failing now that its being used.
Check the gear oil streaks on the tires below the hubs. This is not the first one of these either, another one got stuck in the mud and then the hubs failed, breaking several wheels off.

Place your bets, what will the future hold:
[Malice Option] 30 years from now a declassified document reveals the hub seals vendor was actually a CIA front who purposefully sold low quality seals to the Russian hub supplier. The CIA introduces counterfeits in order to cause exactly this problem.
[Incompetence Option] The hubs have a 3 year service interval, but the officer in charge of the maintenance has been pocketing the salaries and not servicing them for 9 years.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

And further sleuthing has figured out theyre apparently Belarusian tires called Belshinas. OSINT is awesome.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

No. 6 posted:

Self driving will become common and safer than the majority of human driving. It isn't there.

I feel like the self driving discussion is unproductive in part because people reasonably have differing definitions.

Someone who likes road trips on highways and has been driving for 10+ years might consider the GM SuperCruise or comparable systems as meeting their needs in a self driving system, even if limited to some situations. This would be pretty impactful to someone like my wife who has a 30 minute mostly-highway commute and works 12 hours days frequently. If GM SuperCruise is safer per highway mile, I'd say we already have safe, self driving cars, just only in limited circumstances.

That perspective makes posts like this one seem absurd:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

FFS, this never going to work self driving poo poo has got to stop.

However! My wife's sister doesn't have a driver's license. Reasonably, she may see self driving as a car that can move her along 99.99% of paved roads with no one else in it safely and legally. With that also valid perspective, CAT INTERCEPTOR's post may seem like common sense.

I'll throw my hat into the time prediction ring looking at it through the NASA technology readiness level scale. I'd put the 2006/2007 DARPA competitors at a technology readiness level of 5 or 6. For the "its a full taxi" standard, the current systems seem to be in limited range tests using production identical hardware (probably) and not-fully-debugged-software. So they're roughly TRL 7 or 8. At TRL 9 we have at least someone producing robotaxis. So it took ~15 years to progress 1-2 technology readiness levels and it'll likely take that to progress more.

I am a little disappointed that car companies have been allowed to sell the hype of FSD of an immature system, certainly it seems like a pointless risk for consumers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Darchangel posted:

"Self Driving" to the average person means the car drives itself without need for input from a human. We will *never* get that without the cars talking to each other, the road, and possibly a central control. Asking the car to do it all is tantamount to making the car a mobile AI, and if it's that powerful, it's going to go rogue and kill us all, or itself (See Delamain in Cyberpunk 2077) In other words, it will not exist, certainly not any time soon.

Trust me, I *want* all the terrible drivers and drivers who don't want to be driving to not be driving, but it's not going to happen in the next 10 years, probably not the next 30.

Let's say that high bandwidth low latency broadband is available everywhere, a thing that surely seems to be coming. If the car gets stuck, someone takes over and drives remotely. If it gets really stuck, a team is dispatched. But 980 out of 1000 trips are completed uneventfully without human intervention. 15 require a remote driver to intervene. 5 something else happens like the car breaks down, gets in an accident, or for some other reason can't continue but the occupant isn't hurt.

Do we have self driving cars?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Galler posted:

I'll just stick with the SAE classifications of automation until something better comes along

Doesn’t really seem relevant but fine, is SAE level 4 a self driving car?

If so, it seems extremely likely we’ll get there without cars talking to each other or major infrastructure projects or making special lanes.

SAE level 4 could be a revolution in transportation as it drops the cost of operating a taxi to almost nothing. You need far fewer drivers per car to handle failure scenarios. Why own a car?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KoRMaK posted:

Is this sarcasm?

https://mashable.com/article/starlink-fcc-approval-moving-vehicles

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Saying someone likes Elon musk has seemingly replaced calling them a nazi in internet discussions.

Who cares about some rich dude, I want to be able to go to the grocery store by myself when I’m 90 and can’t drive. SAE 4 gets me there.

It seems pretty silly to say that this thing will NEVER happen when things like this exist today:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/05/18/waymo-is-expanding-its-driverless-program-in-phoenix/amp/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The Awesome car poo poo thread has a bunch of cool AI generated car images. I thought I'd make some lovely garbage that should never exist for this thread.

I give you: "shotgun fancy" a CarForumPoster art series

Lincoln UTE clipart

Lincoln Mark VIII as a truck Japanese retrowave style

General Lee Mercedes S class

Mazda Miata Pickup Truck for south alabama

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Who cares if they devour billions? 100 billion of VC, bank, blue chip company and insurance investor funds is easily worth it for a moon shot. And with things like BlueCruise/SuperCruise, LKA, radar based cruise control, there's already some positive outcomes for even pedestrian cars like the Toyota Camry for Ford F150. Let them innovate, maybe they're successful and if they are its a life changing thing. My wife and I have no kids. If we had a self driving bus we could travel the country like we want while working from the bus. The availability of goods would rapidly increase. Companies would have to keep less stock of certain items because the stock shortages could be fixed quicker by deploying resources that travel for very low cost in half the time.

Its an utter dream land, but a worthwhile dream to have. A dream that's already paid SOME dividends. It gets basically 0 tax dollars compared to things like moon shots. The crashes per mile arent way off of the average car driver. So why do you care?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 9, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jfc what Cadillac is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blitter posted:

I dunno man, this DiSrUPTiVE iNoVATiON is exactly what you are going to get from the automotive industry when so many idiots clap and drool over every new tesla thing.

I mean, it's a miracle that GMs have functional doors etc, but probably not for long!

oh okay good to know