Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Castrol 5W-30 Full synthetic is $60 for 5L, oil prices in Australia are loving stupid- Its actually financially viable to replace a rear main seal when its pissing out at Kasteins rate because it will send you broke with the oil bill. 20L of Shell Rimulla X R3 (basically the equivilent of Rotella T3 is $125.

I buy mine by the 205L drum (mostly because between the 3 diesel cars and tractor we go through a stack of it) and even buying in bulk its still $5.50 a litre

Pfft, as if you don't have a trade account to get the stuff cheaper, like what I do :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ror posted:

It's a loving 1958 VW Bug.

He put a million dollars into this.

Ok, I usually don't like VW Bugs, but in this case I will feel sorry for one being abused like this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ulfhednar posted:

Caught this on tumblr, the story is a bit oddly worded, but the pictures do most of the talking:

That poor Hudson :smith:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

There were 300 different duct tape designs you could have chosen, and you used THAT to fix it?

I bet that was done by someone who thinks leopard skin pants are the height of fashion

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

That last one is pretty convincing in GIF form, but it's more of a special effects success than a driving failure.

I guess that one as being fake rather than a real incident

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A Suzuki Swift Convertible? Those things were soft as butter as a hatch, I hate to think how floppy that thing is.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ulfhednar posted:

And something I found on tumblr:

"It's still good, it's still good! It just has a little bit of positive camber"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mokoshin posted:

VN Commodore into FJ Holden conversion. Wonder if they will swap the old grey motor over as well.

Is there a website for this thing? I can't stop laughing

EDIT: Found another picture of it on this website, from 2006:

http://oldholden.com/node/36928

You Am I fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 16, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

My friend went to court to argue his 1978 Datsun 180b just couldn't achieve the 140kph the ticket said he was doing. They took his license for 3 months. :(

Bonus picture of said datto:

That's a Datsun 120Y.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Unload My Head posted:

I am in no way defending the hilarious series of poor decisions in that video, but cranking an engine over to put out a small carb fire is a perfectly valid technique, as is blowing it out. I have had to do both after intake backfires.
Yeah, but I think the flames were actually coming out of the exhaust ports, as there doesn't seem to be any exhaust manifolds on that motor

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Richard Meaden drove the eighties TWR Jaguar XJS touring car for Evo about a month back, and he described the look on the face of the guy doing the noise check as being one of genuine disgust.

This is what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

I see they have Dick Johnson's Ford Sierra there as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chinatown posted:

The front end is clean and I like it. The rest, not so much.

I don't mind it, but it is sad to see Honda go from having double wishbone setup at both ends of a Civic (till 2000-ish) to a McPherson Strut at the front and beam axle at the back

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

What in the gently caress.

STR lives a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very weird and stressful life

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mercedes were using that type of filter during the 60s and 70s. Not sure about current models.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

I knew a guy who had the first generation of commodore to come with that engine. It had a manual trans and 420,000km on the clock.

I find those V6s to be a heap of garbage, you can hear a VN Commodore from miles away with worn out timing chain guides, rattling away. Used a ton of fuel for not much power.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

As for the 3800 and 4.0 hate, I'm not sure I understand it. And anyone who is ripping on the 4.0 for being underpowered and not having much torque has clearly never driven a vehicle with one in it :colbert: (alright, my resident 4.0 apologist peanut gallery comments are done now...)
I have no issues with the AMC/Jeep 6 cylinder, it is just sad that Chrysler never used this straight 6 in the Jeep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fuelslt1 posted:

Except for the fact that they take to boost extremely well and can make good horsepower/torque numbers for not much money.

I think you can say that about most modern engines these days. The Falcon straight six can take 1000bhp with stock internals without batting an eyelid.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

H1KE posted:

The spirit of the Gold Taurus lives on in it's later model brethren. Also just noticed 18's [?] up front, 15's on the rear.

The AU Falcon was ugly enough without that crap slapped on it. $10 says he's got smaller wheels on the back because of cheaper rubber for burnouts

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Posting this here because it goes so far beyond just Craigslist.

Someone shoot the bastard that did this.

I kinda like it :shobon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Number 6 seemed to have gone AWOL. Can't believe they didn't include the Kia Rio which was done up to look like a WRX

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ulfhednar posted:

One of the downsides to not having inspections in Iowa is that you are sharing the road with cars like these:

Can't entirely blame him, though, I'm sure Eagle Vision parts are one in a million these days.

fake edit: I just looked at the other picture I took, and that bumper lied to me:

It's actually a Chrysler Concorde

Looks like a later model Shitmobile from Trailer Park Boys

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

atomicthumbs posted:

I hate that California went from this:

to this

<LA Law intro starts>

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was a fun car to drive, and it looks fine from the outside, but ye gods the inside.

Holy christ, he says he likes it: http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-mini-copper-s-2002-01-08 and yes, the 2002 version looks pretty much identical inside. Ah well, I don't really expect the man to have good car opinions, he mostly seems to make it up based on 1) Manufacturer name, 2) Country of origin, or 3) Contradicting what everyone expects him to say.

Clarkson constantly loves German cars, especially VWs, for being "reliable" and "long lasting". However VWs usually are the direct opposite of that, especially with the DSG gearbox

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm getting visions of Hammond's truck from the Top Gear Burma/Thai special with that ute

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

With a lot of mid engined cars, even some FWD ones, it is easier to drop the subframe and then pull the motor from underneath. Not too sure on their method of lifting the car up for the job though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cruseydr posted:

I always thought it was a neat car, but the worst part about the Prowler is the association with the PT Cruiser.

All this talk reminds me of a car that never made it to production, the Dodge Copperhead Concept Car:

:(

That was such a nice concept car. It was sad that it never hit production.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

Ford, for some reason, placed the failsafe cruise control deactivation switch on the master cylinder itself, connected to the hydraulics somehow. It gets power 24/7, tends to leak, and is overfused from the factory. When it leaks long enough, the contacts get jammed, and you get some :supaburn: action that originates from the brake master cylinder area.

The recall "fix" was to just add a small fuse to the switch, and move it to a new power source.. but not replace the switch itself. Stepdad's F-150 pops that fuse every time he replaces it, and the switch on his is dripping pretty decently.

This PDF sums it up decently.

Found this pic that sums up the recall work:

Huh, what, why Ford? How hard is it to just run another connection to the stop light switch which informs the cruise control unit to disable?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

8ender posted:

My favourite Ford engineering thing lately is that lightbulb replacement for headlights and tail lights on a 04' Taurus requires removing the entire light assembly. Think you're going to get away with installing a new light in the Canadian Tire parking lot with no tools? Nice try buddy.
Same with my Ford Laser, you have to remove the whole tail light assembly. However the nuts are deep within the body structure at the rear of the car, so you need a massive socket extension and pray to god that the nut doesn't fall out of the socket and fall deep somewhere in the car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Edward IV posted:

Caught this during my lunch break. Definitely doesn't look all that safe for New Jersey at least.

I love the crumpled license plate just jammed into the bumper, the Jerry-rigged side mirrors, and how the driver casually has his knee pointing outwards.

It's Ricky's new Shitmobile

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

The closest automotive equivalent to a harley is a built-for-me-by-someone-else cookie-cutter t-bucket hotrod kind of thing. They're extremely archaic visually, make a shitload of noise, don't like turning or stopping, are all the same despite their ~*~custom features~*~ and are desperately slow compared to even a basic V6 sportscar. They're also mostly owned by middle aged men who think they're tough/cool/badass and can't drive/ride for poo poo, they go to all the twisty roads on a sunday afternoon and hold up everyone else with their pathetic wallowing, their over-inflated ego preventing them from pulling over.

Lincoln town cars are actually pretty cool IMO and are more like a goldwing or similar.
I reckon V8 Commodore utes are the Harley equivalent in the car world. Driven by wankers who love having heaps of noise and pissing off anyone within earshot.

kastein posted:

Dear god. :stonk:

Appears to be a CJ frame and grille with... what's left a Liberty? monkeyfucked onto it. I don't think it's a Liberty looking at the headlights/markers but I can't figure out what it is.

What a colossal waste of most of the things on that vehicle.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4537917787.html

And it's only like 15 miles from home. I have a chance of this vehicle exploding and colliding with me if someone buys it and finishes it :stonklol:
Looks like a Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro on that frame

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah, the rare Packerage special

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Safety Dance posted:

Off to go dispose of used motor oil in an environmentally sound manner!
Down the storm water drain?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I am absolutely in love! :love:

Unironically, how can I get one into the states?
You do not want one of those things. Trust me. Even unironically

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Root Bear posted:

It's like they took the early 80's Seville and made it into a two-door. :barf:

There were a couple of those on my local roads, and it made me wonder why they made the rear end like that. I guess they were trying for the old style boot look of the 1940s, but jeez

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh my god shut up shut up shut up

That reminds me of Bad Body Kit Taurus:

RIP

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1977/SSE-AD-2204323/?Cr=30

How to destroy a 1977 Porsche 911

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that's lens distortion from the dashcam, the rear suspension seemed fine enough. It still had its hazards on and that tow truck company gets a lot of the police-called tows.

Wow, you'd think they would've disabled the battery just in case of leaking petrol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ok, now I feel sorry for a MX-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrYenko posted:

A Camry, apparently.

No, that was Bane