Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kastein posted:

Yes, that's either hay or straw in the back seat.
Perhaps it IS the back seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of want to take an old rusty 240Z and drop it off there for a few months.
So they can do a great looking paint job over the rust? Those cars get repaired so they could be sold asap.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The best part about the orange car is how well it matches the road work sign.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The King of Swag posted:

There's nothing at all wrong with it, except when the vehicle using it had this as its predecessor:

How many people actually did this to a brand new Jeep? Most of the modified rock crawlers are bought used. It's a family car first and foremost, and an overwhelming majority of new car buyers don't give a poo poo about its hardcore offroad potential.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

Does anyone know what the lettering says?
Ghost hunting service. On rear bumper: Made in Russia

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I drove a manual PT for a while, it was docile as gently caress. Don't think that manual = better than

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Das Volk posted:

Does that have two air filters...?
Where do you see two?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Industrial posted:

Without knowing the details I'm not sure why are all siding with this guy and against the neighbors. I live in a townhouse complex, we used to have neighbors with an Integra that had some giant rear end exhaust on it that woke up literally every single one of us at 5am every morning when he idled it for 20 minutes.
I'm with you, buddy. Didn't realize this forum is filled with angsty teenagers, ironically advocating murder towards people who complain about their loving noisemakers.

I moved into a rowhome and now get to my garage through an alley. Some places are rentals, and people seem to come and go on quarterly basis. Among them are deuchebag kids will rev the piss out of their civic/integra/whatever peashooters. Just being associated with that crowd is nauseating. Plenty of us have loud cars/bikes, but everyone is polite enough to roll out of the alley with minimum throttle.

I understand that some exhausts are sold as a loud straight pipe. I'm sure you get maximum horsepower out of your street driven race car or whatever it is you have. But all that extra performance really worth annoying people that live hear you? Or everywhere else, because believe me, you're affecting way more people than you think.

drukqs posted:

The whole thing began because these people keep a yappy terrier of some sort out in their front yard in a chain link cage. The dog launches into barking fits when I start my car.

Thing is though, the dog barks when people walk down the street, the dog barks when any other noisy car goes by (this is easily the busiest street in town,) the dog barks even when there's complete silence. It's crazy. They are infamous on our block for subjecting everybody to this racket.

I've driven noisy cars in this area since I was 16, now all of a sudden it's a huge issue for these people, that's what makes this whole thing so difficult for me to get on board with. But it's a dead issue, I'm having another lovely silencer overnighted from Japan. (amazon)
Order an extra silencer for the dog

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 4, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
BLK B UT ?

Black butt?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MullardEL34 posted:

Those plates were designed in large part, by Frances Strickland, the wife of our ex governor, Ted Strickland. Bad taste can go a long way when you're married to the guy that runs everything. They were so universally hated when they came out that I wouldn't be surprised if they played some small part in John Kasich winning in 2010.

I think it's a nice design?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

88h88 posted:

The only good thing I have to say about this car is that the convertible roof looks cool in motion. That's it.

that top is lifted directly from some convertible Lexus. There is nothing original in this turd of a vehicle

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

It is. I don't know of any bikes that are designed to be filled while on the side-stand; it's like trying to fill a bucket to the brim while it's tilted.

I fill up while on the bike, balancing it upright, about two thirds of the time. The rest of the time I put it on the center stand so I can check the oil at the same time.
My 2012 Honda Shadow has a fill cap on the right of the tank and is the highest point while on sidestand. The 86 Suzuki however, has it centered, so I'm forced to hold it upright while pumping. Either way, I don't understand why people talk about getting off the bike to fill up, everything is right there within reach.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

rscott posted:

I passed this person as soon as I possibly could
Typical bmw driver

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darchangel posted:

We have them, but they usually require a commercial license. That one may be small enough not to, but pickups, even duallies, are regarded as light trucks, and can therefore be operated with a standard passenger vehicle license.
There is a huge assortment of vehicles that are ok to drive with a regular license. I've personally drove a GM T7500, and International 4300, both 24' trucks with GVW of 25,500. The lack of license restrictions is scary and uplifting at the same time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

I'd have to guess it's because those of us who have done actual physical labor and need to move materials/animals/equipment/feed are vastly in the minority of goons.
"What do you do for a living" threads pop up now and then, and it's like 75% IT.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oooooor we could spend $1000 on a beater Ranger or B2200 and not be retarded. Beatertruck best truck.

I've hear this stupid poo poo dozens of times from different people, including my 22-year old self. The math never works for anyone NOT using the truck as a primary or secondary work vehicle.

Home Depot/Lowes have a rental truck that cost something like $20 for 1.5 hours and then it turns into a ripoff central, but good enough to get all your landscaping materials home.

Uhaul pick up truck will not cost more than $60 if you keep it local.

Tow hitch for your car, any car is $30-200.
This trailer is $300, usually on sale at 20% off. It folds up and takes up little space. I've had it loaded over a 1000lbs personally without a problem
http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

Now add up registration, insurance, purchase price, taxes, repair and maintenance parts on a vehicle that will need to occupy space on your property/garage. The sum of any of the above, multiplied by number of trips, will not exceed the purchase and upkeep amount. Not unless that truck makes you money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Given the choice of putting your 15-year old on a moped or a 4 wheeled moped with a roof, which would you honestly pick? Assuming that you live in a cold rainy country like England. The kids don't buy those cars, parents do. And I'm willing to bet, that someone who is just learning to drive at 25, is going to be way worse on the road than a 25 year old, who started driving a glorified golf cart 10 years prior.

Where is the terrible car stuff?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ludicro posted:

The terrible car stuff is that they're really expensive to buy (for what they are), really expensive to insure (again, for what they are) and they are honestly not that safe at all. If they cost about a third of what they currently do, or at least half, and were subject to the same safety standards as cars are (including NCAP tests) and were cheaper to insure we'd probably all be singing their praises.
More expensive to buy and insure than a scooter, yes. But you fail to understand that comparing them to a car is not an option, because there is no such thing as a car insurance for a 15 year old. You don't cross shop those things against used 7 series BMWs, your choices are either moped, bicycle, scooter or similar golf cart-like devices. The prices are set by the very niche market in which they are the top pick.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The viper isn't OHC so there isn't really much point. DOHC engines tend to have inflated oil capacities because so much of it is tied up in the heads lubing the cams and lifters and timing chain (if present). I was amazed at how little oil a 3.8 GM v6 takes compared to a toyota 2GR-FE or nissan VQ35.
Corvette is dry sump, but I suspect it's for packaging reasons.

Either way, referring to displacement numbers for comparison is rather odd. The volume of combustion chamber has no relevance to the amount of fluids elsewhere.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those jeeps would be very much illegal in Pennsylvania due to uncovered tires outside the body work. I'm assuming other states may have similar laws.

Don't drive behind those jeeps unless you enjoy gravel flung at your windscreen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
2 intake and 1 exhaust valve?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A peaceful city sidewalk outside my apartment in Berkeley...

Nothing was broken or damaged, it was just sitting there.
It's clearly opened already.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

A guy I know has one in his car and he has to stop drinking at like 9pm every night because he has to leave for work at 7am and even though he's not even feeling buzzed at 10pm the .004 or whatever residuals in the morning are enough to not allow him to start his car.

Clearly the solution to people with alcohol problems is to make them lose their jobs because they had 3 beers the night before.
Or they can stop drinking beers, imagine that

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

That is one hideous loving house

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Black88GTA posted:

2 seater MR layout, all over the place, cheap as gently caress, parts / chassis everywhere, all mechanical repairs / upgrades easy and fully documented all over the internet. When you think about it, there was literally nothing else that fit all of this criteria out there at the time everybody started dumping the ACVW chassis and turned to molesting Fieros for kit cars. Now I think early Miatas might qualify as well, but the horde of Miata based kit cars just hasn't hit yet.
Miatas also have their own race class, which is why there is a bottom price point for a used running one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

88h88 posted:

I'm noticing the vast amount of space to park a car behind the family. I presume that spot is 6' nearer where they're going?
The space you referring to, is a lane, where cars drive.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

davebo posted:

Edit:^ I'm sure they have some but this was a ridiculous amount on only the rear tires. I've never seen wheels tilted like this on an suv in real life. I've seen plenty of VW's and civics with camber like this but usually they have more rounded tires. These had pretty tall suv tires and as I said below I don't think they were even as thick as the stock ones I normally see on X5's. Now I really wish I could have safely gotten a photo.

Nope, I'd say it was just a hair more camber than that. Although I can see how if the angle showed it contrasted with the perfectly straight front tires that may be around the same. Are those the stock tires? I feel like the one I saw had slightly thinner tires, which due to the height just made it looks extra ridiculous.
They have loads of rear camber stock, but with something heavy in the trunk can look really silly. Your offender could have been carrying bags of sand or something.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

$50,000+ is not low budget.

Least not in my world.

Compared to Tesla that he referenced, it sure is.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You need to get a motorcycle

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

:thejoke:

The only thing worse than renting a 200 is renting a 200 in snowy weather. Stopping distance on the faintest whiff of moisture was measured in football fields.

That has everything to do with tires and not the car itself.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I love the actual photo they used, but it looks like a giant bruise on the car

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Friend of a friend of a friend posted a video on YouTube showing someone crashing into his father's house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-wPsMU5w_U

I don't think she's wearing any pants. :psyduck:

I clearly see her wearing white sweat pants or leggings.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cage posted:

Is it power steering fluid? Idgi

It's written on the cap, I think.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NoWake posted:

I've got some lovely loving karma. This windshield is only 2 months old, I'm hoping the chip doesn't grow any spider legs. You can't see it from the inside, as it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7RbZviu87o

I wish dollar bills would randomly hit my windshield

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well, the good news is that standard windshield will work just the five in the same space, if your boss doesn't care about defroster function.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not sure if it's a terrible car stuff, but it sure is a terrible attempt to guzzle up whatever cash baby boomers have left (after buying '77 Trans Ams on Barrett Jackson for 7 figures).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_FPuHbEtE

P.S. Burt Reynolds is so old now :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rhyno posted:

That'd be cool too.

No a long rear end time ago my mother's best was obsessed with James Caan. The friend ended up having his kid (Scott Caan of Ocean's 13 and Hawaii 5-0 fame). My mother went to visit her friend and went to a party and Burt Reynolds was there and took a liking to my mother but mom wasn't a whore so nothing came of it. My dad does have excellent mustache DNA so clearly mom liked that part of Burt.

Do you ever wish your mom was a whore?

Also, Burt is wearing blind people glasses in that video. I hope his eyesight is okay enough so he can at least take the car for a spin

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not hard to type "toyota celica" into google and look for similarities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Celica

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you don't clean the brake dust off your wheels, they naturally aquire that sought-after flat black color. Maybe it's the same thing as deliberate rust, people want the deteriorated look on their new cars? Are they ashamed of having a newer vehicle? I personally don't get it, but hey, go hog wild making your stuff look old and neglected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The most amazing thing about that to me is that even in loving Russia, a high-speed freeway chase doesn't end with any guns pulled. In the USA there'd be four cop cars, a helicopter, assault rifles everywhere, the driver handcuffed and beaten up with a boot on his face.
Traffic police (DPS) is not the same as regular police in Russia. They're glorified meter maids with very little training and capabilities. If arrest need to be made, they call actual cops. You don't want to mess with actual Russian police, believe me.