Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

There are exceptions to every rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kastein posted:

Russian cut and shuts :allears:

I could stare at these nightmare inducing repairs all day.

e: that one is actually some pretty quality work, though that vehicle never should have been repaired... and they should have used a proper spot welder, not mig spot welding. And it's going to get eaten alive by rust at all of those seams within five or ten years, and come right back apart, since they didn't dip it in anything and all those seams have bare metal inside them now.

This guy will be dead/in Siberia by then, who cares.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Am I missing something? Looks like your standard beater.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on around the turn signal...the fender lines up everywhere else, and the hood lines up on the other side...what's actually wrong?

Edit: VVV It seems like the fender and hood would line up in that case. They line up against the windshield. It's like the fender is too short.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 7, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

Chrysler is reasonably successful at catering to a market that is very much NOT car enthusiasts. It's a valid business plan.

Yeah, they've been doing pretty well for themselves. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kotaru posted:

He better have whitewalls on the driver's side.

I wish I were clever enough to have come with that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

Shattered rear windshield? No problem, the tint and duct tape will hold it together.

:psyboom:

I've had a rear windshield shatter like that. If I'd had duct tape you bet your rear end I'd have covered it in tape. It crumbles apart and gets EVERYWHERE.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Some terrible stuff is going to happen to that Taurus'es transmission if he keeps that up.

Driving it? Yeah, that'll kill it. On the other hand, he's almost guaranteed to be on his second or third by now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh that must've been fun for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Farmland Park posted:

Living in China I've already been hit three times by cars while crossing the road on a green light in three months. And yet looking at all of the Russian dash-cam videos, Russia somehow seems even worse than that.

These videos actually prompted me to start using my gopro while I drive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Am I the only person who had to google him to figure out who the gently caress he is?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

front wing flexing posted:

The one time I did in my life it was 0 degrees out with a loving whipping wind and I didn't have gloves on because I dropped them in my garage. I just wanted back in the car so bad.

The first time I filled up my 02 Focus (something like 50 miles on the clock) it was in the low 20s, before the wind chill (and holy poo poo there was wind). The plastic was so brittle I broke the latch for the fuel door when I closed it. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You can always dress warmer. And get fatter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kill-9 posted:

Most people roll down their windows before spitting their chaw out of the car.

Or taking pictures when the windows look like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What's the cupholder in the hood for?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Weird...I've never seen/noticed one like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ursa_minor posted:

It just looks like the arm of the 'R' broke off.

That would be a lot weirder than the entire letter coming free and being replaced on the cheap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In my sideview...what you can't see is the green Toyota logo on the grille, or the hole cut in the hood slightly right of center. I assume to feed cold air to a short ram, but I don't know where the filter sits on an old Tercel. The roof lights were what originally caught my attention.

It was droning like gently caress too...can't imagine why.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Das Volk posted:

I went to a Corvette owners club meetings once. Never again. You understand all too well after going to one of those.

Most Corvette guys are insufferable. There's a decent group of guys in Oklahoma of all places, though. I don't think I'll find a group like that here, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dizman posted:

Luckily there is a SMALL group of actual car guys who own Corvettes out here who hate the typical Corvette guy. They've all modified their cars extensively, and include all types of cars in the meets they have. I enjoy hanging out with them but never ever ever will I go to an all Corvette meet ever again.

That's how this other group was. A bunch of guys who enjoyed working on their cars, and enough who knew what they were doing to help those who didn't. It was just a cool car group who all happened to own Corvettes. Hell, they'd show up to meets in their other vehicles sometimes and nobody cared.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this at all. If anything a Corvette should be the ultimate self-depreciating car guy car? It goes fast and handles well for not a lot of money and is just middle American values on wheels.

They start at like what $45k? That's BMW-3-series-with-leather money, what is there to be an insufferable prick *about*? Are these people just sill thinking in 1983 dollars?

A lot of them are dumb enough to think their C5/C6 is going to be as collectable as a C1/C2. So they have some kind of a smug fygm mentality...then there's the crowd that thinks these cars need a ton of chrome trim and gaudy loving wheels, but they're smug about whatever shitheap car they've done the same mods to since high school.

gently caress those guys. I didn't buy a paperweight, I drive the hell out of my C2.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

einTier posted:

Some may be wondering what this is, and since this is the terrible car stuff thread, I feel obligated to oblige.

That's one of the most universally hated cars on the C1/C2 board at corvetteforum, fwiw.

And yeah, cloth diapers were the microfiber towels before microfiber towels were.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nm posted:

When I was in Minnesota there was a guy who literally auto-xed the wheel off his 64 convertible.

Losing a wheel is exactly the reason I got the fake knock-offs on my 66. The external hardware is exactly the same, but the spinner doesn't actually hold the wheel on, there are normal lugnuts underneath. Yeah I'd probably be fine, but I've seen more than enough pictures of what happens when one decides to escape (they tend to take large sections of fender with them).

Aside from that, how did it do? I've had a morbid curiosity about auto-xing a car with no power steering or brakes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This belongs in the other thread. :drat:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PreacherNutshot posted:

It's a viscous car world. :D

The oil world is even worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah those are actually really effective off the pavement. They're more stable than you'd think, and probably safer than the alternative. It's also available 12" taller.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mcqueen posted:

That's a fair point, but I would almost view the ring sticker as one that transcends the actual place and is almost more of a 'I enjoy racing', specifically road racing and more so the lifestyle of those who race on that road. I don't think its a coincidence you see the ring sticker mostly on VW, BMW, and Porsches.

I laugh at Jeeps with Moab stickers and 20s. So yeah.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I put my stickers on my kegerator.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nice foglight badge. :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, I'm doubting the accuracy of that (I loving hope I'm right).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Measly Twerp posted:

Oh come off it. That rear end looks amazing, what are you people seeing? If it looks anything like those renderings I'll move to the loving states and buy one. It looks like a proper car, not a wedge of plastic.

The whole point of super cars is to look outrageous and go fast, it looks like the Corvette will deliver.

I'm not going to lie...if it wasn't for those taillamps I might actually like it. If they were some kind of oval/circle and there was just a little effort to make it work (ie, get rid of some of the sharp corners stamped into the rear cover), I think it would go a long way. Aside from that rear end, I think the rendering looks awesome.

That design looks fine on the Camaro...I just wish Chevy would stop trying to force it on everything else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't imagine that being on the curb counts as parked legally.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kastein posted:

Oh no, it is a slightly ugly and completely legal car parked in a legal place.

I'd be irritated if I had to look at that hulk out my window as well.

Edit: V My last house had a big garage for exactly this scenario. :lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 3, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hikaki posted:

This car lives on my street. Yes, those are zip ties on the grill and rims.

That car was already terrible before that guy ever got his hands on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

How do you even let a car get into that kind of shape :gonk: especially a ~2003 Civic..

What's so special about a 10 year old appliance?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Do modern cars do that? That is a seriously bad idea.

My '12 Jeep doesn't. I've never heard of this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

General_Failure posted:

But...but the barb fittings are readily available. And threads act as a wonderful wick when mated to a hose.

You know what thread you're in, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm curious how many people are going to specifically buy a non-silver car next time after reading this thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

Because it has sportier exhaust and brakes, mahogany trim, a massive navigation unit, and an even larger sense of entitlement?

Quite a bit more legroom, too. Because the owner has a much smaller penis, you see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's a C6 interior.

This is the C7:

Edit: I like the center "oh poo poo handle" for the passenger. :)

Edit2: There should probably be a new Corvette thread.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The angles are all different, the center console is wider, it finally doesn't share a steering wheel with the loving Cavalier/Cobalt, and everything's wrapped in cow...aside from the wraparound of the driver, what's the same that's not standard across every car?